Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So I just bought mine. $200 Craigslist offer, came with a Wiimote Plus, NintendoLand, and NSMBU. Unfortunately neither of those games looked interesting at all to play single player, and the lack of online functionality makes the multiplayer useless for me.

I'd actually say NSMBU plays better in single player. Too much frantic chaos when you throw in other people - yeah, it's good for a laugh, but in terms of actually making progress, 2D platformers like that are best played solo. And while NSMBU isn't the most amazing game in the world, it's a pretty solid 2D Mario, you could definitely do worse. NintendoLand... yeah, you'd probably need more people to get the most out of that.

I also don't like the feel of the controller at all. It's just way too big. Feels like a toy, but I genuinely have no clue how children are supposed to play this thing. Felt like I was doing hardcore finger gymnastics trying to figure out how to play Lost World.

Eh. Maybe (hopefully) W101 changes my mind. If not I'll buy a Pro controller and play Kart and Smash with that.

Really? I personally think the GamePad is surprisingly comfy and one of the nicest controllers I've ever played on. I like to think of it as just being like a big GBA, and I've had no qualms with it so far.

The Pro controller is pretty nifty though once you adjust to the fact that the right analogue stick is above the buttons rather than below, like on a 360 controller. Has an insanely good battery life too - way better than the GamePad's itself, so if you're planning on any long hardcore gaming sessions, Pro controller is definitely the way to go.

Oh also, is there no "suspend" feature for apps? I opened up Miiverse, but went back to the main menu to change a setting, only to find that I had to wait for Miiverse to reboot completely. What? Did I do something without noticing to turn it off?

Unfortunately not, you have to boot up Miiverse every time you want to use it. It's a bit of a pain, yeah, but hopefully something they'll work on in due course, like they've been doing with the load times. Nintendo are still fairly new to the whole online thing so for them to have even implemented this kind of social media for their games is pretty impressive - baby steps, after all!

• Thumbs Up 6

I myself was shocked.

Why did you decide to buy one, by the way? I'm guessing price had something to do with it, but I doubt that's the full story.

Even I have to admit that I found that the game pad took a little time to get used to. It's not like a traditional game controller, but after about a week or so I more or less fell in love with it; even so to the point that using an Xbox 360 or a PS3 controller felt foreign to me. For what it is (a square controller with a giant screen in the middle), the Wii U game pad is actually fairly ergonomic. 

It's probably different for others as they probably have other controllers to juggle with - I mainly use the 3DS or Wii U, and those are fairly similar. ...only difference being that the game pad doesn't cramp my hands up after about thirty minutes of use.

Either way, I imagine that after a week or so, you'll hardly notice it, Discoid. At least I hope so - it's hard to enjoy a videogame if you can't get into the controller itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why did you decide to buy one, by the way? I'm guessing price had something to do with it, but I doubt that's the full story.

Saw the Smash Direct, checked Craigslist, found one for cheap. Mario Kart looks great too, and they both have online, so I want to play with my friends. Sonic Boom could be good too, and maybe Zelda U will be worth caring about.

• Thumbs Up 1

So did it come in yet, are do you have yet to snag it?

Disregard, I must have missed that detail

My friends list is seriously missing some Discoid.

Discoid, I'd like to recommend getting Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3. (and maybe 3D World but since you don't like Mario that much...)

Since you loved Returns for it's difficulty, you'll be happy to know it's still as hard but fair as ever. 

While Pikmin 3 may not exactly fit your tastes, I think you'd like it. It has pretty clever puzzles, great bosses and a fun story, all packed up in a neat strategical game.

• Thumbs Up 1

So did it come in yet, are do you have yet to snag it?

Disregard, I must have missed that detail

My friends list is seriously missing some Discoid.

Send me a request, lol. Same username.

Reminds me I seriously need some of you guys on my friends list, i have like, one friend!

I believe mine is in my signature? Anyway, the Wii U does thankfully have friend requests (only took 3 other pieces of hardware), but you need to do it through Miiverse for some reason.

Yeah, the Gamepad can be a bit to get used to, but I'm almost certain that picking Lost World really just left you with a bad first impression. I'm pretty used to the Gamepad myself and it doesn't seem all that big. Honestly, if there was no screen, it'd be around the same size as a Dreamcast controller, probably.

If you had the chance to play more games then you'd probably find some good in it, so I'd suggest borrowing some games or playing some demos in the meantime before going out of your way to buy a Pro Controller. Those things are quite hefty in price, but then again so are PS4 and Xbone controllers.

And yeah, the UI is limited. Why do you think I was saying doing some tweaks and refinements would be good for them? :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Don't let the size of the Gamepad put you off; honestly, I got the hang of it pretty easily and it's surprisingly quite light for being a chunky controller. As far as its usage goes, there are games that take better advantage of the Gamepad such as Nintendo Land (better played with friends of course!), Zombi U, or Rayman Legends just to name a few, but it's good as a normal controller too. I am looking for a Pro Controller as well (as long as I can get it cheap enough) and my intention is to use the Pro Controller for longer sessions or when the battery of the Gamepad is low and needs a charge, otherwise the Gamepad is just enough to game on IMO. 

As for games, aside from the ones I mentioned above I could say Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 are good ones if you want some RTS or some good action 'made in Platinum' respectively. DKC Returns Tropical Freeze is challenging platforming goodness, and I don't know if you are too keen on Mario games but if you don't have 3D World you are using your Wii U wrong. Just sayin'. XD 

Either way, welcome to the club Discoid! Be my guest to add me to your Friends List if you desire so (same nickname).

EDIT: Speaking of friend requests, for those who haven't got me in their list feel free to add me as well. After all, Mario Kart 8 is comin' soon~

Edited by Kaabiitorori

I don't see how the size of the gamepad is an issue. It's not heavy, and the buttons are spaced almost exactly like a regular controller, except there's a screen in the middle and your arms are further apart. 

How that amounts to finger gymnastics is beyond me- unless you have trouble operating a SNES or PS2 controller as well.

Your gymnastics and confusion probably more to do with Lost World's opaque mechanics and complete lack of meaningful tutorial than ergonomic reasons. Although running and jumping isn't really that complex there, either, hmm.

Do try the Wonderful 101, as it's one of my favourite games ever. Don't rush to post about it after finishing the first level though. The game takes quite a bit of learning before it "clicks" - it took me a couple hours to get it and I've spun like 120 hrs playing Bayonetta.

The team management/drawing aspects are unique and require some time to learn. Really fun game though.

• Thumbs Up 5

Isn't this thread just about the business aspect of the Wii U? I thought the other was specifically about the system and games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't this thread just about the business aspect of the Wii U? I thought the other was specifically about the system and games.

Whoops, I didn't realize this was the business topic. Not paying attention.

Actually, Discoid, this is the one time you're supposed to talk about Nintendo's dire straights, holy crap, man tongue.png

I'm actually laughing a lot at this, sorry; you know I'm messin', man

Wait I thought both threads were good for general Wii U talk, but one for announcements and this for business stuff.

But hey at least my impressions thus far haven't been exactly glowing, lol. :P

@Remz - I dunno, man. Maybe it was the game. I'll report back after W101, but I can say without a doubt that I don't like the "feel" of it. It's way too wide, and too heavy in my opinion. I also don't like the stick placement - my thumb naturally falls onto the D-Pad. Stretching forward to reach the analog stick doesn't feel comfortable to me at all.

Wait I thought both threads were good for general Wii U talk, but one for announcements and this for business stuff.

But hey at least my impressions thus far haven't been exactly glowing, lol. tongue.png

@Remz - I dunno, man. Maybe it was the game. I'll report back after W101, but I can say without a doubt that I don't like the "feel" of it. It's way too wide, and too heavy in my opinion. I also don't like the stick placement - my thumb naturally falls onto the D-Pad. Stretching forward to reach the analog stick doesn't feel comfortable to me at all.

Try not too hold it too far to the bottom if you are, it might just be different for you but I actually have a hard time getting my fingers to naturally go to the D-pad (not that its ever needed) but if its still not comfortable to you, the pro controller might be the best option (though if I were you I would sooner tough it out than spend 30 dollars for a controller accessory that probably should've been there in the first place but thats just me since im kind of a cheapskate :P)

Try not too hold it too far to the bottom if you are, it might just be different for you but I actually have a hard time getting my fingers to naturally go to the D-pad (not that its ever needed) but if its still not comfortable to you, the pro controller might be the best option (though if I were you I would sooner tough it out than spend 30 dollars for a controller accessory that probably should've been there in the first place but thats just me since im kind of a cheapskate :P)

Lol, I hear you. On the one hand, I did get this console for cheap, but on the other, I sooner chose to shelve my Wii and never touch it again (think this was right after Skyward Sword) than spend any money on a CCPro. :P

I don't see how you're bothered by tha--

ps4-access-large2.jpg

Oh. Ohhhh. The stick placement. Right.

That makes sense out of it! 

I say that cuz I spent all my life playing Gamecubes, Xboxes and Sega consoles, which all have the sticks up high, while PS controllers are all downlow. I see where you're coming from if you're used to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see how you're bothered by tha--

ps4-access-large2.jpg

Oh. Ohhhh. The stick placement. Right.

That makes sense out of it! 

I say that cuz I spent all my life playing Gamecubes, Xboxes and Sega consoles, which all have the sticks up high, while PS controllers are all downlow. I see where you're coming from if you're used to that.

Been playing that all my life, lol. I have a lot of playtime with the Dreamcast, though that controller isn't really optimal for me either. My favorite "up high" controller would probably be the Xbox One's - I only got to play Forza for a few minutes, but it felt super comfortable. Both it and the DS4 are top tier for me. The 360 controller had a comparable issue for me, though. It felt super round and bulky to me, and I didn't like reaching up for the stick.

Hard to describe, really. For what it's worth, other than the bizarre tiny c-stick and D-Pad, I found the GameCube controller to be quite comfortable. I think the extra size of the Gamepad is what kills it for me. Obviously completely subjective since it's just preference, but eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, I can see the issue you're having adjusting now. Nintendo is pretty split between Analog placement on their controllers. Anyone who played frequently on the Gamecube, or a Dreamcast like Azook mentioned, would probably have an easier time adjusting to the GamePad. Coming from the DualShock or the Wii's Classic Controller, though? Yeah, it'd be an odd feeling. Especially since the Wii U actually has BOTH sticks at the top, something that no other controller doesn't have to my knowledge. Though it's never been the case with me, the size could definitely be something for people with smaller hands, I would think. First game I played on the Wii U was ASRT, so maybe it helped me adapt? Though I never really felt like it was uncomfortable.

But hey at least my impressions thus far haven't been exactly glowing, lol. tongue.png

If that's the case, I really feel nothing has been changed. 

It's true enough, this is the financial discussion topic. The actual console discussion is the other topic (also includes game news).

It'd be appreciated if you could redirect console discussion to the other topic, you know, the one that so many of you had been clamoring for up to this point.

• Thumbs Up 7