Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Um No! 250 max

5l2q0m.jpg

You have no idea of the costs of a HD system, do you? It's not going to be less than 300.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 5

Nintendo is still trying to appeal to the Wii's userbase with this machine, so it'll be aiming for a price point which that market should hopefully eat up.

It won't be over $400. Hell, I'm skeptical about any price over $350.

...Whoa, that actually doesn't look that bad now that I'm really looking at it.

Now if only the characters were 2D in sort of a Rayman Origins style, to match the background. But it still looks great.

The 2D thing would actually help heaps with the otherwise sterile look the game seems to have whenever I see it. I would like them to do that. Expressive/fun character animation makes a big difference

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/29/wii-u-has-capability-issues-due-to-single-processor/

Wii-U has Capability issues, Single Processor

That’s a lot of work for a system which itself isn’t that powerful.”

“Nintendo only showed games with one game pad controller and the TV [at E3],” he said. “Most games out there, if you’re in a social setting, you want two controllers. Nintendo didn’t show any games that do that. They admitted in a Q&A that the games are going to run slower if you have two game pads and playing on a main display. That’s a fairly big issue for them.

“They made a good case that you can play with one controller and multiple Wii controllers, what they call asymmetric gaming where one person is looking at the small tablet screen and trying to deploy zombies while the people playing with the controllers were all on the main screen. You come up with very creative, different kinds of games where it’s one against four, or one person going online. They tried to justify and turn into an advantage this major weakness of the Wii U, but I think a lot of people saw this as a weakness.”

“They may have had a good one in ZombieU, but in the demos it didn’t necessarily play that well. Nintendo came up as a pretty big disappointment at E3.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/29/hd-wii-games-from-nintendo-retro-studios-would-be-better-than-many-current-titles/

A theory, Wii games would look better in HD on Wii-U

“You could easily take many original Wii titles from Retro Studios or Nintendo and release them again in HD and they would look and play better than many current titles. I believe that the most important resource in game development is the developers, rather than the actual hardware.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/30/wayforward-working-on-shantae-for-wii-u/

New Shantae coming to Wii-U!

ND: Speaking of Shantae, is there anything coming down the pipeline that you can talk about?

Voldi: Um, I mean, I wish I could say something specific, but we are working on it. Like I would expect to see it on, you know, Wii U, uh, it’s just, I don’t want to commit to a time because it always gets– even though we have been working on it, you know, like I said it gets pushed to the back burner, so um, originally we were hoping to have something for launch, but that’s clearly not going to happen. But yeah, Shantae is definitely in the works, and the last one, Risky’s Revenge, kind of left off on, like, a down note, so we have to address that, right? So yeah, definitely more Shantae, for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Devs are just starting to figure out how to program one controller and this people expect two controllers to work out the box.

This may sound like I'm expecting too much from them, but should they not have designed the system to work well with 2 tablets in the first place? Oh well, I almost never play local multiplayer.

Off Topic: This thread has reached 69 pages.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

This may sound like I'm expecting too much from them, but should they not have designed the system to work well with 2 tablets in the first place? Oh well, I almost never play local multiplayer.

Off Topic: This thread has reached 69 pages.

Yeah I totally agree, but Nintendo and other devs have been up front that they had problems in the begining with just one tablet imagen having two. Its also really sad that the selling point of the system is limited to just one out of the box.

Off Topic: yes, yes it has. and it should stay like this.

Nintendo to reveal price and release date in September/Fall Conference

http://nintendoevery...ice-2013-games/

A translation of the investor’s message reads:

“Nintendo plans to reveal the launch day and price at September, and not just the launch titles, also the titles for 2013 will be revealed at that time”

Nintendo has said on many occasions that the Wii U’s launch information would be announced at a separate event in the future. A September conference would definitely make sense. Although we don’t have a complete confirmation of this rumor, it has a very high chance of being legitimate.

Update: We’re back to square one, in a way. The original tweet was an error. Rather than mentioning September specifically, Nintendo is only confirming that a conference will be held this fall.

An investor attending Nintendo’s annual shareholder’s meeting reports that Nintendo will hold a conference in September to reveal Wii U launch information. The console’s price and launch date are expected to be shared during the event.

Additionally, Nintendo is rumored to be discussing titles coming out in 2013. That likely means more details would be provided for games such as Project P-100 and Pikmin 3. It’s unclear if brand new title announcements would be made.

So yeah, around September/Fall is when Nintendo will tell us. Just like the Wii, I assume the Wii-U to come out mid November, but we'll see.

inb4 comments about how we already knew this

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

They admitted in a Q&A that the games are going to run slower if you have two game pads and playing on a main display.
So does every splitscreen game ever made, you fucking retards. I honestly don't know what's worse - that they're playing this off as anything new, or that there actually existed expectations that the controller screens wouldn't have to draw from the system's processing power rather than some kind of magic on the gamepad's part. That said, all the fixes are the same shit you'd do on any other console too - just turn down the draw distance or resolution or something when multiple gamepads are involved (or hell, just give an option if nothing else), and they'll be fine. Edited by The Cheese

Wii U online functionality will be free

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata doesn't believe there should be a fee for connecting Wii U consoles to the Nintendo Network.

According to a translation of Nintendo's annual shareholder meeting via Andriasang, Iwata said that having all users able to freely access the network will help spread the service's offerings through word of mouth. This tactic, his translated commentary suggests, is thought to lead to greater hardware and software sales.

Iwata also revealed that external developers were brought onboard with Wii U at about the same time as internal studios, which he hopes will counter lagging third-party performance. To prove Nintendo's renewed focus, Iwata reportedly pointed to the upcoming Namco Bandai collaboration behind the new Smash Bros. coming to Wii U and 3DS.

http://www.joystiq.c...y-will-be-free/

Was to be expected, but confirmation is nice.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4

Wouldn't be surprised if they went the sony route later and made a paid service that you get bonuses from.

Then again, I guess that's what Club Nintendo exists for.

Mighty Switch Force HD confirmed for Wii U!

tAQ3y.png

According to Nintendo Power via GoNintendo, Mighty Switch Force HD is a lovingly redrawn re-release of the much-praised puzzle platformer.

The HD release will include the “bonus incident” which as DLC for the 3DS version and possibly even brand new content.

You’ll be able to play it in full directly from the Game Pad, or on your telly using the tablet to track Hooligans.

WayForward apparently has a brand new game in the works for both 3DS and Wii U, too; the Vancouver team has a lot of credits to its name but when it comes to glorious sprite art BloodRayne: Betrayal and A Boy and His Blob are their best-known claims to fame.

Gorgeous. Mighty Switch Force is my favorite 3DS game and I'd happily spend my money for an expanded remake. People have no reason to get this beautiful gem now.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they add more to the game I'll happily buy the Wii U version, though if it's just a port I'll probably pass on it

Just watched a gameplay video of the 3DS game, and you know what? I'm already sold, looks like a fantastic game and I love the style. It reminds me of SNES platformers in terms of style and cheese, the HD graphics and probably improved music are only more of an incentive for me to buy it.

Honestly, I am extremely excited to buy a Wii U. Between NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros. 4, 3rd party titles like Rayman Legends & Mighty Switch Force HD, and the promise of classic Nintendo franchises brought to life in HD, I am estatic to purchase this console. Haters be damned, it looks like a fantastic investment.

• Thumbs Up 8

Honestly, I am extremely excited to buy a Wii U. Between NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros. 4, 3rd party titles like Rayman Legends & Mighty Switch Force HD, and the promise of classic Nintendo franchises brought to life in HD, I am estatic to purchase this console. Haters be damned, it looks like a fantastic investment.

I'm getting it just for one game. Am I crazy now?

I'm getting it just for one game. Am I crazy now?

I would never get a console for one game, but at this point there already looks like enough content to satisfy me for months, if not a year.

I don't remember if this was posted or not, but,

Ninja Gaiden on the Wii U to be improved

It won’t be the same game that disappointed you last year. Yosuke Hayashi can promise you that much.

A year ago, the head of Team Ninja watched his development team’s prized project, Ninja Gaiden 3, struggle.

This year, Hayashi and Team Ninja have hit the reset button. They are trying again with Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge for Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U console. And Hayashi promises that they’ve made big changes.

“It’s a Ninja Gaiden game,” he told the Daily News at the Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles earlier this month. “We’re not trying to be anything else.”

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

And that was the problem with the original NG3. The series has long been known for its brutally challenging combat, a brand of battling where one false step leads to death. But in Ninja Gaiden, Team Ninja took a different approach.

After observing the successes of faster-paced, less intricate combat systems (think Bayonetta), Team Ninja rebuilt its battling. Ninja Gaiden 3 sent wave after wave of stupid enemies at star Ryu Hayabusa, and all you had to do was mash buttons.

It was a move made in fear, Hayashi admitted.

“We looked at the game industry and how things were shaping up, and we felt we couldn’t get left behind,” he said. “And we had to advance ourselves. And that was the idea behind some of the changes in NG3.”

Except it didn’t work. Critics ripped the game, and gamers fell asleep at the controls. And the end result was the first game in the history of the series that was considered a colossal disappointment.

Hayashi insists that that won’t be an issue on the Wii U. Team Ninja isn’t just porting its title over to Nintendo’s new console: It’s going to make you remember Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox.

The difficulty seems to be back in the series, and the development team won’t overuse the touchscreen; a few quick minutes of gameplay revealed that combat is still all about joystick moves and button-presses.

There are still gallons of blood and gore – maybe too much of that. But enemies did seem wiser, forcing a more tactical approach from Ryu. It seems like a minor alteration – and Ninja Gaiden 3 had other problems, such as blasé visuals, too – but it’s still a step in the right direction.

“For Razor’s Edge, we listened to the feedback (from Ninja Gaiden 3),” Hayashi said. “And we reexamined what the series was, what the game was, what people want. We’re going back to rethinking what the series means.”

“The concept for the Wii U version of Razor’s Edge is for it to be its own action game, an action game that doesn’t try to be anything else. It just tries to be its best.”

About time.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I would never get a console for one game, but at this point there already looks like enough content to satisfy me for months, if not a year.

At the moment there's one game (New Super Mario Bros. U), but there will be other games that we don't know about.

At the moment there's one game (New Super Mario Bros. U), but there will be other games that we don't know about.

Edited by Solid SOAP
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if Bloodrayne: Betrayal will get a port. My friend is a die-hard Nintendo fanboy who refuses to buy any console not made by them, and I want him to try it out.