Tatsumaki

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/13/e3-2014-miyamotos-thoughts-on-whats-next-for-nintendo

That's certainly very interesting. Nintendo want to close the gap between handheld and home console and make a handheld with the power of a home console. That time certainly isn't upon us yet, but with the technological advancements in tablets in smart phones, that time can't be too far off.

Well, Miyamoto doesn't exactly say they will do that, but the level of detail he goes into isn't really quite what was warranted by the question, so as someone who supports the idea it strikes me as a clear hint.

I do wonder if the next generation will bring a "handheld console" something where you can play it on the move as a handheld, but then you pay a little more and can ten it into a console? You'd get like a docking station which charges it and connects it to the TV and allows the use of controllers too

I imagine that if Nintendo do go for a hybrid handheld/home console for the next generation, it'll be similar to how the Wii U works now for off-TV play, except more extensive. You'll be able to store all these exciting big new HD games for when you're on the go, but when you're sat around at home you'll be able to link them up to the TV in some way too - either at the press of a button or a flick of a finger on the touch screen or... something.

So basically, like the Wii U's off-TV play at the moment, except with unlimited range so you can actually leave the room without it crying out in panic. At least that makes sense to me.

I'm beginning to think that Off-TV play is paving the way for something. Even Sony thought it was a great idea, so they did it with the Vita. If Nintendo did make a handheld that was capable of more or less the same specs as competitors, it might actually sell really well. Who doesn't want to take their full console games on the go?

I'm beginning to think that Off-TV play is paving the way for something. Even Sony thought it was a great idea, so they did it with the Vita. If Nintendo did make a handheld that was capable of more or less the same specs as competitors, it might actually sell really well. Who doesn't want to take their full console games on the go?

That's impossible. Packing a PS4 into a handheld device is, if even possible, extremely expensive.

I personally just hope the next piece of hardware is substantially powerful and well-designed. I don't have very high hopes though.

That's impossible. Packing a PS4 into a handheld device is, if even possible, extremely expensive.

I personally just hope the next piece of hardware is substantially powerful and well-designed. I don't have very high hopes though.

Oh, I didn't mean power of the PS4 right now. Chances are, by the time 8th gen is over, mobile devices would have nearly caught up. At the moment though, I'm sure it's something under consideration by companies like Google and Apple, but it'll be a while until they probably jump on board with using such hardware in mobile devices, let alone others. I don't think the console will ever die, but I could see the console industry evolving into purely portable devices eventually.

I think Nintendo will probably put less money into the gimmick next generation. Maybe do off TV play for owners of both the handheld and the console, but for the most part keep the new console simple. Maybe just make it compatible with Miimotes. It doesn't have to be the most powerful console, just make sure it's not far behind the competition.

A handheld that could also work as a home console seems right up Nintendo's alley. Their consoles have always been a bit flimsy hardware wise but their handhelds are solid. It could be pretty cheap too, which works out for me.

I want to see this happen.

Perhaps a handheld that can slipped into some sort of mechanism station that "powers" it up into its console form?

Perhaps a handheld that can slipped into some sort of mechanism station that "powers" it up into its console form?

While that may be the future for Nintendo systems, they would need to overcome problems inherent in such a design before it could prove itself.

Namely, we're talking issues like how would they cheaply power such a powerful and versatile system over long periods of time, especially if its graphical pushing power will be the same in either mode? If it could "switch down" its power consumption and general system power and adopt a less energy taxing stance when moving from console to handheld mode, that may be a solution, but at what cost to the games themselves, and to game development? Should the "powered up" mode have features unavailable to its handheld mode (decreased/zero load times being one of the easier ones to identify) or vice versa, and might those features lead to a two tier game development culture, and should that be addressed pre- or -post launch (or at all?)? There also is the issue of what games it would have. Nintendo handhelds typically don't try to ape exactly their bigger brothers as the Vita does the PS4, so would the games have to be hybridized? Would we still have handheld- and console-specific titles, or would they have to adapt to one another's environment? Would we see a merging or collision of gaming cultures?

These problems may have solutions or answers I cannot think of, but they should be addressed.

If both systems used the same architecture, would that mean that a lot of low-power eShop games - say, Mighty Switch Force - could basically automatically be cross-sold?  Is it possible that there could be console exclusives but many fewer handheld exclusives, as the console would have both the power and the architecture to run handheld titles but the handheld wouldn't have the power to play full console titles?

Can someone explain to me how a country that has a much less population than the US and UK have sales like that be considered "bad"? I mean, I guess they are, but I'd say anything in the Top 3 is good enough considering what's going on in Japan and their tastes.

Can we please stop acting like Japan is some sort of boondocks country that no one lives in?

Japan has an estimated population on 127 million, and is a bigger tech country than the US and possibly on par with Europe. There's plenty of consumers and no reason beyond being an unpopular product for it to sell poorly.

Can we please stop acting like Japan is some sort of boondocks country that no one lives in?

Japan has an estimated population on 127 million, and is a bigger tech country than the US and possibly on par with Europe. There's plenty of consumers and no reason beyond being an unpopular product for it to sell poorly.

Granted, everything else is selling poorly as well, so this is sort of a moot point. Compared to the US and Europe, game and console sales aren't that much, for some reason.

Good News!

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/231029-noa-pr-federal-appeals-court-confirms-nintendo-win-against-patent-troll-in-case-involving-nintendo-s-wii-console

NoA PR - Federal Appeals Court Confirms Nintendo Win Against Patent Troll in Case Involving Nintendo's Wii Console

Jun 16, 2014 by NintenDaan

Triton Tech Patent Held Invalid

REDMOND, Wash.-- A federal appeals court on June 13 confirmed that a patent asserted against Nintendo by Triton Tech of Texas, LLC is invalid. In a lawsuit filed in 2010, Triton alleged that Nintendo’s Wii Remote controller infringed one of Triton’s patents: U.S. Patent No. 5,181,181. Judge Richard A. Jones of the Seattle district court previously dismissed the lawsuit after finding that the patent did not adequately describe a complete invention, and was therefore invalid. The June 13 federal appeals court ruling upheld that previous dismissal.

“We are very pleased with this result,” said Richard Medway, Nintendo of America’s deputy general counsel. “Nintendo has a long tradition of developing unique and innovative products, while respecting the intellectual property rights of others. Nintendo continues to aggressively defend itself against patent trolls. After many years of litigation, the decision today reflects an appropriate resolution of this case.”

Wow; NPD numbers show promising results for Mario Kart 8 in May. When it was only on sale for 2 days!

1. Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PlayStation 3, PC)

2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
3. MLB 14: The Show (PS4, PS3, Vita)
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
5. Minecraft (360, PS3)
6. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, 3DS, Wii U)
7. NBA 2K14 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
8. Titanfall (360, Xbox One, PC)
9. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
10. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC, Wii U)

Game sales saw a huge bump in May. Month over month, game purchases were up 20 percent from $227.9 million. That’s largely due to the massive success of publisher Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs. That open-world hacking game is the French company’s fastest-selling product over a 24-hour period ever. It also racked up more than 4 million in sales in its first week.

Nintendo also contributed significantly to May’s software numbers with the introduction of Mario Kart 8. The publisher revealed it sold 1.2 million copies in just three days.

What’s most impressive about Mario Kart 8 and Watch Dogs is that both topped the chart for all of May despite debuting at the end of the month. Mario Kart 8 made it to No. 2 with only two days of sales.

New releases had a good month all around. MLB 14: The Show and Wolfenstein: The New Order both released in May and made it into the top five. They even outsold a resurgent Minecraft, which now has physical version on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. This should keep the block-building phenomenon in the top 10 for a few more months.

Beyond the top 5, the only other new game on the chart is the 3DS’s Kirby: Triple Deluxe, which hit the system in early May. This is another example of the power of Nintendo’s franchises.

“Collectively, May 2014 launches sold 800 percent more in dollar sales than May 2013 launches did in their respective launch month,” said Callahan. “New launches represented 50 percent of dollar sales this month, which compared to only 9 percent for new launches in May 2013.”

If you’re looking for a trend in the top 10, I would point out that the PS4 version of Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein, Spider-Man, NBA 2K14, and Call of Duty outsold their Xbox One counterparts. At the Electronic Entertainment Expo tradeshow in Los Angeles last week, Microsoft was all about games — and this sales report shows one of the reasons why.

The fact it held ground with Watchdogs shows that this game definitely had life to it. There isn't much to say about the Wii U alone though, but the source says the ranking is still the same; though I am sure Nintendo's just happy they're making a profit. 

Dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

Well, the hardware sales still aren't good but when an exclusive title to 1 platform holds its ground against one spread throughout 5, it's a huge accomplishment.

Anyone else remember the news a while back about Nintendo thinking about changing its business structure? Well, word on the street is that their E3 showing was a demonstration of that change going into effect, in terms of both the games on display and also the presentation. We saw dramatic evolutionary leaps in existing franchises (open world Zelda), new IPs (Splatoon), as well as much earlier access to early game prototypes, and only one highly creative Mario game, which looks more like something along the lines of Little Big Planet than anything else*. Add to this the figurine venture and that oh-so-long-awaited fan service with Starfox (in Miyamoto's hands, to boot)... it adds up to a convincing picture of an evolving company.

Maybe this QoL stuff of theirs, and that huge acquisition late last year, are also tied to it. We'll see, I'm sure.

*Mario Maker + Yoshi's Woolly World & Kirby's Epic Yarn + Paper Mario + Smash's franchise representation = YES.

I wouldnt mind if they continued down that path tbh. Nintendo's E3 performance was such an original breath of fresh air compared to the stale conferences of their competitors.

I wouldnt mind if they continued down that path tbh. Nintendo's E3 performance was such an original breath of fresh air compared to the stale conferences of their competitors.

Yeah, I honestly wasn't expecting any of it and it all just felt so wonderfully put together (the robot chicken-esque sections especially).

So we have estimates of Wii U numbers in May, and they're not pretty. If Mario Kart 8 wasn't there to help, this number would be a lot smaller. (I expect June to be better at least.)

So if sales were 85% from last year, then we get... 

... Man this is rough to post.

About 60,130 compared to last year's 32,600.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn.

I thought for sure that it would at least outsell the 3DS(which was the second best selling hardware after PS4), but nope. I'm also not too surprised that it still did not beat Xbox One in May.

Off topic: Look at the huge increase of Vita sales.