Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

... Tell me I'm reading this wrong?

But if it's only got 8GB storage, theres no way it can... Have I read this wrong? It's HD is only 8GB? Thats got to be a mistake hasn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

That was the rumor for a long time, pretty lame as hell that it proved to be true. I guess that means I have to get a 32 GB SDHC card and an external Hard Drive at some point.

Pretend for a moment I know nothing about flash memory (which is easy since I don't know anything about it). So how I'm reading that is that the console has only 8GB of storage.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic really. But Nintendo just won't get with the times. I've had enough trouble storing shit around my TV this gen without adding an external HDD in to the mix, too. If they're not including one to cut costs, then that would be a stupid excuse, because they aren't very expensive these days at all.

8GB on-board is a complete joke.

What's baffling is that a bog-standard 250GB HDD is relatively inexpensive, its not exactly going to bump the price up into the stratosphere.. Fuck even a 120GB or 160GB would have been enough (plus the option to upgrade with whatever you want a la PS3).

Why, Nintendo, why......?

If this thing was coming out back in 2005-2006 when 20GB-60GB HDD's were expensive, then I'd understand a little. But in 2012, when 250GB-320GB HDD's are included with consoles for a cheap price, it's pretty damn pathetic to only include 8GB flash memory on a new console.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Wii was a pathetic measly little 512MB,

I'm honestly not surprised.

Though it still doesn't excuse the 8GB. That might have been slightly acceptable in 2006, but in 2012 where we have 120GB consoles as the norm, that's idiotic.

Edit: And I got ninja'd by Shadzter

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is USB 3.0 expensive?

Well amazon shows a USB 3.0 connection point to cost about £16. So I guess that's pretty expensive. Not prohibitively so, but fairly.

EDIT: I guess they'd pay much less given economies of scale and the need for bulk production. Not too unreasonable to expect USB 3.0.

Edited by Scar

How much is that likely to set you back? Only once you get your console price you'll need to add that on top of it.

SDHC? Not too bad, a 32 GB one is 19 dollars on Amazon (compare to 80 dollars for a Vita card of the same size). External HD? Gonna set someone back 35-40 (for 120 GB). A bit painful, though still far better than the price of Vita's memory cards.

Edited by King Of Awesome

All I can say is that I'm going to be pissed if the next main series Sonic game is a Wii U exclusive. Nintendo is cheaping out super hardcore on this console and I'm hoping to pass on this. I mean sure there's a few good looking games for it, like Rayman and whatever the next 3D Mario game will be, but nothing I'm spazzing out over so far. I can wait until I can find this thing in bargain bins.

Not to mention it would almost guarantee the game would have shitty controller gimmicks and choppy framerates. Ugh.

I wasn't counting on it being a "SUPER ULTIMATE CONSOLE FOR DA HARDCOREZ", so I can understand some of the issues to some extent, but the flash memory thing is just flat out cheap. The next fucking Smash Bros game wouldn't even fit on the card.

How does it guarantee choppy frame rate? It has 3 times the RAM of the PS3 (and twice that of the 360), and a far superior video card. Even if it's cheap, it outperforms 360 and PS3 by quite a bit. If they developed specifically for it...the fuck are you getting at? Shit, Sonic Colors ran better than my PS3 version of Generations, it's fine as long as they actually give a damn.

• Thumbs Up 9

... Would I be judged negatively if I said that I still wish to acquire this console?

Don't see why you would be. I want the Wii U more than I ever have wanted a new console before (sans Dreamcast). It's not some amazing top of the range piece of gear and the storage space is pathetic. But damn. I want it!

... Would I be judged negatively if I said that I still wish to acquire this console?

If for whatever reason you would, I'll take the fall with you. I don't find this whole memory issue surprising and accepted I'd need to get some external memory for it anyways...I'm just ready to get the system already.

No way, man. I still want it too. I figured these things were going to be, so I'm cool with it. This is the most I've been excited about a new console since my kid days.