Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

And I would take the ability to play Blu Rays/DVDs and watch movies and look at pictures and listen to music with the hardware I know is capable of doing all of that over fucking around with Miis, which is a problem since we already know that Nintendo isn't going to include any of that since they told us months ago that they wouldn't.

Yes, because the PS3 is so awesome it is the only machine that can look at pictures and play music. We also know that Nintendo hates the ongoing popularity of Netflix and Hulu+.

When was the last time you had a DVD in your house? LOL!

It seems like I was right by saying there were probably going to be two SKUs. One without and one with memory. 32GB should be enough for a ton of data. It is also an SDD so it is going to be really fast.

Yes, because the PS3 is so awesome it is the only machine that can look at pictures and play music. We also know that Nintendo hates the ongoing popularity of Netflix and Hulu+.

I don't think that's the point though.

That's an extremely stupid rhetorical question. Plenty of people still have DVD's and Blu-Rays because they are the current standard in HQ local entertainment. Not everybody has a stable internet connection that is able to stream HD content without a stutter and I'm sure that they won't for the forseeable future.

It seems like I was right by saying there were probably going to be two SKUs. One without and one with memory. 32GB should be enough for a ton of data. It is also an SDD so it is going to be really fast.

I assume you're referring to SSD...In which case you're probably wrong. Its presumably standard flash memory with an SD card slot. 32GB should be enough, but a hard drive with much more capacity should at the very least be available.

Still its progress and miles better than 512MB.

Still though, the 6 year old PS3 can be upgraded to have a 1TB 2.5inch SATA HDD, and at launch came with 40 or 60GB and now comes with 250GB. It seems a little bit foolish for a company to have a mere 32GB of local storage on a brand new system in 2012. Technology has advanced to the point where a HDD is no longer massively expensive (Flash memory and Solid State memory is actually what's more expensive) and its no longer massively bulky and can be fit in bloody laptops, so there is no excuse really. Just a bad decision.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Wii U cutting so many corners limiting costs by having flash memory which by and large is a far, far more effective storage media that's less prone to corrupting and far more faster to read is something I can respect Nintendo for. If it weren't so god damn expensive, this is where the focus would lie on when it comes to the storage media in general and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony or Microsoft will at least try to test it's viability with their next consoles.

Nintendo's consoles have always focused far more on structure and speed above others which results in their builds being of top notch quality, and while that's one mentality that's ahead of the curve, it's crippled by costs that adds to their lacking nature in other areas.

I don't really mind the 32 gig limit since I've barely even filled up my PS3 with that much memory and with four USBs and an SD slot I can easily shove a shit ton of more memory in the console with all the externals I have. Despite that I can see why it's jarring to people who fill their consoles with full retail games. But frankly the concept of having flash memory in this day and age is something I'm more prone to get behind, especially if it's a means to guarantee Nintendo's longstanding build quality. If anything, it's damn impressive that they're managing to go that far with it.

• Thumbs Up 8

So $145 for a new gamepad? And here I was complaining that the Wii mote plus is the same price of a standard game. Another point against me not buying a WiiU.

So $145 for a new gamepad? And here I was complaining that the Wii mote plus is the same price of a standard game. Another point against me not buying a WiiU.

Well, with the kind of tech it's made of, you can't really blame the price there.

Besides, it's not like you'll be buying four of these. The console, from what I've heard, only works on two, you get one that comes with the console, and no game at launch will work with two gamepads.

Well, with the kind of tech it's made of, you can't really blame the price there.

Considering I never wanted an iPad controller to begin with, I personally can.

Yes, because the PS3 is so awesome it is the only machine that can look at pictures and play music.

The PS3 was sold as primarily a multimedia device (and a relatively high-end one at that) for years before Sony lit a fire under developer's asses around 2009 with the redesign. Don't get pissed at me because you were using a ridiculous definition of a pre-established term to support your point.

We also know that Nintendo hates the ongoing popularity of Netflix and Hulu+.

It's funny because you took Slash's parody of this viewpoint and played it completely arrow straight.

Wow.

Besides, it's not like you'll be buying four of these. The console, from what I've heard, only works on two, you get one that comes with the console, and no game at launch will work with two gamepads.

And there probably will never be more than a handful of games that do for exactly that reason, so unless you break yours it doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

Edited by Tornado

Retailers Begin Pricing Wii U for UK Launch - Premium £250 at Gamestation

http://spong.com/art...-at-Gamestation

Gamestation is listing £210 for Basic and £250 for Premium.

£250? I really like that price- it's about $400. I was totally expecting to pay more than that. The US price is $349.99, which is before tax I assume. Not bad at all!

Edited by Blue Blood

Are all games going to have colored boxes? Because I think that would be pretty cool, but NSMBW also had the red boxes so I dunno.

Are all games going to have colored boxes? Because I think that would be pretty cool, but NSMBW also had the red boxes so I dunno.

All Wii U games have that blue coloured box. It's been confirmed with ASRT, Rayman, Assassins Creed and everything else. Nintendo have found a new colour motif!

• Thumbs Up 1

All Wii U games have that blue coloured box. It's been confirmed with ASRT, Rayman, Assassins Creed and everything else. Nintendo have found a new colour motif!

They're gonna change their logo to blue!

What's the price of the Wii-U and it's game disks?

Bayonetta 2 got me interested enough to care...

I don't know the price of games themselves but the Wii U itself is $300 for the Basic set and $350 for the Deluxe set.

Time to go stripping.

For Bayonetta, it is worth it!

Oddly appropriate, too.

Save me some room to dance in that club, i'm broke as hell T_T

• Thumbs Up 1

So what's on everyone's list of Wii U games at the moment? Mine so far stands at:

• Lego City Undercoverr
  • NSMBU
  • All Stars Racing Transformed
  • Nintendo Land
  • Trine 2
  • Rayman Legends
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Toki Tori
  • BAYONETTA 2

Edited by Blue Blood

Pikmin 3

Rayman Legends

Assassin's Creed 3

All stars Racing Transformed

The Wonderful 100

....Huh. Maybe I should hold off on this thing.

So what's on everyone's list of Wii U games at the moment? Mine so far stands at:

• Lego City Undercover
  • NSMBU
  • Rayman Legends
  • The Wonderful 101
  • BAYONETTA 2

Basically I just took your list and condensed it to my tastes.

So what's on everyone's list of Wii U games at the moment?

• Bayonetta 2
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Rayman Legends
  • Bayonetta 2

Because I'm buying Bayonetta 2 three times.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Lego City Undercoverr
  • NSMBU
  • Nintendo Land (Only because it comes free with the Black Wii U)
  • Trine 2
  • Rayman Legends
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Toki Tori
  • BAYONETTA 2
  • ZombiU

I could get others that are crossed out but the ones I left are my must buys.

• Lego City Undercoverr
  • NSMBU
  • Nintendo Land
  • Trine 2
  • Rayman Legends
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Toki Tori
  • BAYONETTA 2

Well, at the moment, my list is:

Lego City Undercover

New Super Mario Bros. U
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Nintendo Land
Trine 2
Rayman Legends
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU

This Christmas should be rather not-meh for me.