Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

Damn that over-world theme sounds so

Blegh.

I have a feeling that it changes slightly when you enter a different world. We didn't see much of World 2 to be able to tell if the rhythm/sounds change.

Really appreciate how smooth this game looks.

Though I still don't see why they couldn't afford to have a bit more torque in the graphics department since it looks more/less the same as the Wii installment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really appreciate how smooth this game looks.

Though I still don't see why they couldn't afford to have a bit more torque in the graphics department since it looks more/less the same as the Wii installment.

wii-u-new-super-mario-bros-u-trailer-0.jpg?20120606-110430

e3-2012-new-super-mario-bros-wii-u-screenshots.jpg

Looks great to me. Google up NSMB Wii, a lot of the levels look terrible compared to U. The desert level uses pancake towers and the starting level is rehash World 1-1 without originality. The ice levels are also much less detailed and I don't remember anything like the Bowser painting level in Wii.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think that music was imposed over the top so it wouldn't have changed when he entered the desert anyway. That song had all the trademark instruments from the NSMB and NSMBWii/2 Grass World themes so I'd be seriously surprised if it played that in all outside areas.

Anyway looks good. I like the 3D uppy/downyness of it all, and that the scenery seems to reflect the level contents moreso than any of the previous games.

wii-u-new-super-mario-bros-u-trailer-0.jpg?20120606-110430

e3-2012-new-super-mario-bros-wii-u-screenshots.jpg

Looks great to me. Google up NSMB Wii, a lot of the levels look terrible compared to U. The desert level uses pancake towers and the starting level is rehash World 1-1 without originality. The ice levels are also much less detailed and I don't remember anything like the Bowser painting level in Wii.

Those pictures are always posted when someone says the game doesn't look good (or as good), and while I agree that those do look good...I think the issue is that those levels haven't been shown since that trailer debuted. All of the footage I've seen lately lately paints this game up as yet another New Super Mario Bros. when really there are a few new environments here and there. I don't want the levels spoiled, but you think they'd capitalize on that a bit more.

• Thumbs Up 3

The snow levels were fully playable at E32012, and footage of them were shown again a week ago (well, the ice). It really wasn't that long ago.

NSMB-Comparison.jpg

Notice the huge change from Wii to U? I've got to say, that first world is beautifully detailed for a first world in a Mario game. They actually changed it up and made it look pretty, instead of going "LOL 1-1 <3".

Also, the Desert Levels. I don't think you noticed the big difference.

15_World2-1_desert.jpg

vs

WiiU_NSMBU_scrn15_WP.jpg

The U version features a more realistic desert with actual hills. It also redid the whole "CHEESECAKE PYRAMID!" into an actual cool looking one.

Also, the nature world was pretty bland in NSMB Wii. The U has more detail but I can't find any screens.

nsmbucomparison2.png

THAT POW BLOCK.

http://mariopartyleg...bros-u-screens/

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

That first comparison image isn't especially great considering the DS screenshot isn't from the first level, and possibly not even from the final game (can't remember whether the mushroomy two player level had a ground like that but pretty sure it didn't).

That first comparison image isn't especially great considering the DS screenshot isn't from the first level, and possibly not even from the final game (can't remember whether the mushroomy two player level had a ground like that but pretty sure it didn't).

The DS screen was a tiny image and it wasn't used as a point, I was comparing the Wii to Wii U and found that screen so I used it. It also had a good image of the 3DS edition. Anyways, I'm sure many of you are familiar with the DS version and it really doesn't look that good compared to Wii.

That's a beta screenshot, so you would be right.

I mean if you really wanted a fair comparison without doing the "Don't remember a Bowser Van Gogh Painting level in any other NSMB game!" you could do this.

Gonna spoil because don't want you members to be like "The fuck do I gotta scroll through this giant post for gawsh!?"

Let's use some pics of tropes that are the same in NSMBU from NSMBWii, for example, Sky Land!

NSMBWii on top, NSMBU on bottom

New+Super+Mario+Bros+Wii+Gameplay.jpg

WiiU_NewMarioU_2_scrn03_E3.png

As you can see, in NSMBWii there are some Cumulus Clouds in the background, though mostly spread off and separated, not really covering the background, though in the foreground there are some clouds that you can "push" away from either running,jumping, or propelling into them.

In NSMBU, there are Cumulus mediocris' in the background, giving off a somewhat "There's a storm coming" setting IF they do this kind of background for the so called "Tornado" world. While there are no clouds in the foreground, take note that the objects and Characters are much lighter in this stage then compared to 1-1 of the game. Thanks to being up in the sky, the "sun" is giving off a lighter shading, something that NSMB should've had in NSMBWii, which imo would've made some levels look alot nicer.

(Oh and yeah that's right, I know my clouds bitch!)

Oh and just to compare again,

2player.jpg

Mini_Mario_NSMBU.png

For the Underground levels

20090706-New-Super-Mario-Bros2.jpg

Nsmbu_underground.png

NSMBWii has a cave-like entrance in the background, and has a ton of cluttered up crystals in the ground/environment. Also the background has a black "shading???" in the background, to try and make the "Cave entrances" in the background seem separated. But it kinda makes it look generically repetitive and easy to spot after you see it repeat ten times and you haven't even reached the checkpoint yet.

NSMBU has less crystals in the ground, and has also given up the Cave opening in the background, and just decided to actually "Make" a decent background. Take note again, Mario's fireballs actually give off a shading and lighting affect, unlike in the other NSMB games. The shading and lighting is much easier and noticeable to see in these two pics below

Crystal_Caverns_NSMBU.png

Piranha_Plants_Cave_NSMBU.png

Wait wait wait, I'm not gonna talk about graphics in a fucking New Super Mario Bros. game.

Bottom Line, NSMBU looks better then the other games, even when using the same tropes, and looks different enough too in some cases.

Though while on the topic of the Painting level, "That realization when there's the possible level pun name of Vincent Van Ghoul". Too bad 2D Mario games don't name their individual levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 players has been known for a while. The fifth is just on the Gamepad creating platforms.

It would have been cool to have a proper fifth player, but maybe it would have just made things too hectic. And at any rate, 5 players simultaneously won't be a common thing really.

5 players has been known for a while. The fifth is just on the Gamepad creating platforms.

Oh. I knew about that. I thought they were referring to an actual fifth player, like what S&ASR Transformed is doing.

I still say that if they were going to include 2 Toads, the second one may as well have been Toadette. I mean, at least the model is slightly different.

9w1z0i.jpg

Wario Mii confirmed?

Eh, I don't know, but I'm not to fond of using a Mii in a Mario platformer, I know its an option but still it doesn't click for mii. Then again the only me I use extensively is my 3DS mii, I haven't used my Wii Mii in a while.

I don't know who the fuck wants to play as Peach. Seriously.

Especially when we've got a sexy bruiser like Wario hanging back in the sidelines. :V

I don't know who the fuck wants to play as Peach. Seriously.

Especially when we've got a sexy bruiser like Wario hanging back in the sidelines. :V

I think those who want to play as Peach are the ones who played SMB2. In that game Peach broke the physics by magically floating on a whim. I guess the lazy people want to play as her in order to avoid the majority of hazards that come along.

Maybe some people just, GASP, like Peach!

Also the Wario Mii thing is old. I'm pretty sure a Waluigi Mii is in there too. I remember bitching a while ago that they tease us with mii costumes for characters we want but not the actual characters themselves.

Random thought but you know what would be a cool bonus mode? Play as Bowser starting in world 8 leading to a final Mario boss battle level in Peach's Castle in world 1. I would be fine with slightly remixed levels. Bowser is great!

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1