Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

The Mario Bros formula is solid, but are none of these critics finding themselves bored with the NSMB series? After 4 titles with little to tell them apart, I would have expected the scoring to take a nosedive even if the quality is still sound.

I am extremely glad of the scores, but I do understand why others aren't impressed with this game or the NSMB games in general.

I guess it comes down to how much level aesthetics and music plays a role in the enjoyment of this game, as well as any game of the New Super Mario Bros series. Sadly, I don't see them creating new level aesthetics anytime soon. I guess Nintendo assumes these level aesthetics are good enough for the majority of their Mario games, and it seems to me that most Mario fans don't really find it to be much of an issue at all, as long as the stages themselves are very fun to play, which I believe they are.

Again, I do understand why it is an issue to others. I'd like to see more creativity with level aesthetics. At the same time, I do wonder, what else can they actually do.

Edited by canderson

I thought they changed up the level tropes for this game specifically..?

They made the grass world blue. That's about it.

The Mario Bros formula is solid, but are none of these critics finding themselves bored with the NSMB series? After 4 titles with little to tell them apart, I would have expected the scoring to take a nosedive even if the quality is still sound.

It's funny actually, because a lot of the critics are noting that there are a lot of similarities and recycling between this game and its predecessors. However, these same critics are also praising the new ideas and level design, so I suppose that's it?

Jim Sterling spent an entire episode of his Jimquisition web series criticizing the NSMB series for stagnating the Mario franchise.

His review of NSMB U literally prefaces with;

New Super Mario Bros. 2 was a good game, but I couldn't help feeling disappointed with it. The first New Super Mario Bros. felt like a breath of fresh air, a welcome return to the past in an age where such simplicity had been forgotten. The right bit of nostalgia at the right time can feel incredibly new.

The sequel was not that. Already following New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario 3D Land, it didn't feel old-school as much as it felt plain old. Still good, but wholly unambitious.

With the advent of New Super Mario Bros. U, I now know why it lacked adventure and inspiration. Nintendo had clearly already spent itself working on this little bit of greatness.

Good to hear. I didn't get NSMB2, but the DLC seemed like a nice addition for extra challenges. Glad to see NSMBU will get it as well, especially with potential for plenty of additions to the new modes.

I love that the Flipruses have the same goggle-eyed look that the dolphins from SMW have. laugh.png

Final Boss and Ending Credits in NsMb U.

Looks cool.

Bowser and Bowser jr. seem to be at their very peak of desperation.

I also like the concept of the boss as well.

Edited by Chrononego

Chrononego, ya might wanna put that in spoilers. I can't imagine it's THAT surprising, but y'know, just in case.

Edited by Gregzilla

I'm glad that its actually a fight this time rather than switch/escape and the world map looks really cool for that part.

Edited by FlameKoetsu
  • Thumbs Up 1