Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

I wonder if I'm the only person who noticed that Blue Toad and Yellow Toad had their voice clips swapped since the Wii game...

Eh, some people just want to be a pretty princess. But really, no harm in having another option. Hell, they could just go back to the SMB 2/USA team and I'm sure people would be happy. That being: P1 Mario P2 Luigi P3 Toad and P4 Peach.

Yeah I don't think anyone would be really bothered if she wasn't unique. Hell, in some games we're conditioned to think Luigi will be faster, or slower, or jump higher, or slide more. I don't see why Peach just can't have the default Mario controls.

Okay so, I've collected every single Star Coin, found every secret exit (I assume I did, since I have all the star coins), and I've caught Nabbit in the seven worlds he appears in, and defeated Bowser. But my file only has four stars.

I have absolutely no idea what there's left to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Okay so, I've collected every single Star Coin, found every secret exit (I assume I did, since I have all the star coins), and I've caught Nabbit in the seven worlds he appears in, and defeated Bowser. But my file only has four stars.

I have absolutely no idea what there's left to do. Anyone have any ideas?

There are more secret exits. Some simply lead to shortcuts on the map rather than secret levels. And of course in true NSMB fashion, they took wonderful design ideas from Mario 3/World and... ignored them. Yes there is zero way to tell which levels have secret exits from the map. Happy hunting. =U (I too am on four stars).

So! I ignored this topic for fear of spoilers and hardly anything was discussed! Now I've finally played and finished it (up to four stars anyway), here are my thoughts. Secret World/Final Level spoilers!

Pros:

+ The usual top class level design, expected no less. The more NSMB I play the more I really get into their mindset of where/how they hide goodies, and it's really satisfying to find secrets first time. I was proud to find everything (sans every secret exit - yet) without a guide, though some star coins were devious to the point I got them through way more dumb luck than experimentation.

+ Gorgeous gorgeous graphics. They really went all out on the backgrounds. It's not as creative as say, Rayman Origins/Legends, but it sure as hell varies and beefs up the classic Mario locales enough to satisfy me for the first HD Mario game.

+ The difficulty level was JUST right for this one. It's about on par with NSMB Wii but without the SUDDEN difficulty spike on World 3. Very gradual and well-tuned.

+ Challenge and Boost Rush mode are really cool. Though after 100%ing every modern Mario game I worry that Challenge mode may just drive me insane. Some of the Gold Medal demands are NUTS.

+ The map was really cool, as well as the sense of progression and little events and fun paths that open up. Finale was great (so glad they used original music for it).

+ Actually challenging bosses! Quite a few still suffered from the age old ability to hit them straight away after they've done their recovery animation/shell spinning but generally most of them did take me a minute or so to work out how to get to them (especially the Bowser Jr battles), and even some of the later Tower bosses gave me trouble.

BUT

- Ugh, still gutted that there was so little new music-wise. This was a full Mario game with apparently three years development behind it. There was no excuse at all for this, and it really drags down the effect of the beautiful new visuals.

- They pulled out all the stops with the main content but the secret world was a big let down. NSMBWii may have also reused level graphics but hell if the final secret level didn't feel REALLY "final" y'know? Same goes for NSMB2. What the hell was up with the true final level in this one? There was nothing to it! It feels like something that shoulda just been in World 1 or 2. It has a fun gimmick but... yeah. It didn't even have unique visuals.

- The inability to click Miiverse posts to Yeah!/Report them is a bit of an oversight. Cool ones can get no appreciation and inappropriate ones are stuck there on your map until they cycle round.

Generally I had a really cracking time though. It's a shame I had to make this post after that disappointing final level coz I'm kind of in a "bleeeeeh" mood about it now.

Ah! Forgot I had posted! I finally found the ONE secret flagpole I was missing. The reason I didn't suspect it was because it didn't lead to a secret level, rather it was a shortcut to one I had already completed XD

Five shiny stars!

^ I've heard that stars are shiny regardless on this one. I sure hope so because the Super Guide appeared once or twice for me. 8C The shame. (Never used, naturally).

If you beat a level where you used the Super Guide, you can get shiny stars again. It isn't a "All or Nothing" deal like it was with NSMBWii.

I think it's only Super Mario 3D Land where you don't get shiny stars if you so much as see the Super Guide; these days you actually have to use it.

Does the pro controller work with this game? Can I also use the Wiimote & numchuck on my own with this game?
I believe the only ways to play are wiimote sideways and the gamepad, unfortunately

Edit: also yeah you can use just the wii remote, you'll just have to put the gamepad to the side

Edited by Comet

Does the pro controller work with this game? Can I also use the Wiimote & numchuck on my own with this game?

You just stumbled onto a pet peeve of mine. It's nunchuck, not numchuck.

And no, for some really stupid reason Nintendo decided they wouldn't support the Pro Controller with NSMBU. It's annoying, since the Remote set up isn't too comfortable.

I haven't played this (due to me not having a Wii U and waiting until the price drops/the inevitable "first gen" bugs are fixed), but I'm more interested in Rayman Legends.

I don't hate the game - it's obviously there to attract the masses - but it really feels like Mario is taking a page from Mega Man's leaflet (on how not to make sequels) and just doing the same gameplay over and over again. Between NSMBW, NSMB2 and NSMBU, it's the same "go through eight generic worlds, fight Bowser's kids who aren't his kids, beat Bowser's actual kid a few times, beat SMB Bowser rehash, beat Giant Bowser, the end".

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't played this (due to me not having a Wii U and waiting until the price drops/the inevitable "first gen" bugs are fixed), but I'm more interested in Rayman Legends.

I don't hate the game - it's obviously there to attract the masses - but it really feels like Mario is taking a page from Mega Man's leaflet (on how not to make sequels) and just doing the same gameplay over and over again. Between NSMBW, NSMB2 and NSMBU, it's the same "go through eight generic worlds, fight Bowser's kids who aren't his kids, beat Bowser's actual kid a few times, beat SMB Bowser rehash, beat Giant Bowser, the end".

I concur. The structure of the games is quite similar, and I hope they shake things up in the next one.

I feel the gameplay itself is perfectly fine, though. The controls are tight, the levels are designed well, and it's loads of fun.

Hmm, the game has been out in all regions for two weeks now so I guess spoiler tags aren't really necessary anymore.

(Final World spoilers)

I will admit, as cool as the finale was I kinda wish they had pulled a double-take and done even more.  I was kind of hoping the map would unveil an interior to Peach's Castle with another 2 or 3 levels within for example.

(Secret Level spoilers)

Superstar Road was a bit disappointing as well.  Considering all the Mario World influence I was hoping for a second even-secreter world afterwards.  I wouldn't have minded not having one though if the final level wasn't such a dud.  No unique scenery, not a balls-hard final challenge, not really wacky/silly enough to be a "celebration" type final level.  It was just kinda... there.

Edited by JezMM

Hmm, the game has been out in all regions for two weeks now so I guess spoiler tags aren't really necessary anymore.

I disagree with you there, many people will be getting the game for Christmas and haven't had a chance to play it yet

• Thumbs Up 1

I disagree with you there, many people will be getting the game for Christmas and haven't had a chance to play it yet

Oh that's true, never thought about that.  I'll spoiler tag my post.

• 2 weeks later...

The super guide in this game is really bad. The game should never play itself. They should bring back something like the golden leaf from Super Mario 3D land and New Super Mario Bros 2. At least that was simply making you invincible instead of playing the game for you.

Though I personally would like to get rid of that entire system.

Besides this criticism, I'm impressed with the game. They have added some interesting things to enhance replay value. I'm having far more fun with this than the other titles in the New Super Mario Bros series.

What's wrong with the Super Guide again?

With the way it's currently implemented, a lot. The game should never literally play itself. It wasn't too bad in Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2.

While I dislike the overall idea, the way it was implemented in those games was fine. I don't understand why they would replace it with this.

I mean, it's not like you ever even HAVE to use it.

Just because it's optional, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be criticised.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the Super Guide is fine, but they should make it EXTRA optional.  As in, when you die 5 times without reaching the checkpoint, the box gives you a choice of either an invincibility flight item OR the super guide.

I think the Super Guide is a very important tool because for young/low-skilled players it sort of "proves" to them that a seemingly impossible level can be beat, and allows them to skip as much or as little level as they want.  I especially respect that the Super Guide does everything (I think) without using the run button, which is a skill that honestly does elude most new players (run buttons are pretty unusual these days).

Edited by JezMM

Question. What exactly does the P-Acorn do? I want to try it out, but not if it's gonna prevent me from getting 100% completion by removing sparkles from my save file or something.

Question. What exactly does the P-Acorn do? I want to try it out, but not if it's gonna prevent me from getting 100% completion by removing sparkles from my save file or something.
It's basically just the acorn, only with unlimited flight boost thingies. Rather than flapping to the ground, you return to a glide and can continue using it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's the flying Squirrel suit except you can shake the controller an unlimited number of times to keep ascending. It's liket he P-wing from Mario 3.

It better not take away 100% completion. That'd be completely illogical design, considering you can get it from catching nabbit (mandatory for 100%) and it takes up inventory space.

• Thumbs Up 1

P-Acorn doesn't remove any bonuses.  In fact I'm pretty sure I've heard from multiple sources that Shiny Stars aren't a thing in this game so don't worry about seeing the Super Guide Block either.

The P-Acorn can in fact be pretty invaluable in finding Star Coins.  It's not REQUIRED to get any but there are some ones which require ridiculous perfection and/or maneuvers to get without it.  So use it as you wish.

It can also be used...

(Spoiler of something that's kind of fun to discover for yourself)

To completely skip underground/underwater levels, by flying over the cliff at the start of the stage.  Dunno if it works on EVERY level but does on most I've tried it on.

Oh, as a final note, when you choose to use one, do so wisely.  You turn into regular Squirrel Mario at the end of the stage, much like with the P-Wing and Raccoon Mario in Mario 3 or Gold Mario and Fire Mario in NSMB2.

Edited by JezMM