Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Assuming the Brawl roster returns I really only NEED, Ridley, Little Mac, and Megaman added. Anyone after that is icing on the cake to me.

Wait, would you really pay $50 for a sequel to Brawl that only had three new characters? o__o 'Cause I mean, that's some hella expensive DLC content.

Wait, would you really pay $50 for a sequel to Brawl that only had three new characters? o__o 'Cause I mean, that's some hella expensive DLC content.

Ah, alrighty. Not sure how Ridley would work, though. His enormous size would make him either broken or just a big target that can hardly pull off an attack.

...That is, unless he were Baby Ridley or something.

Ah, alrighty. Not sure how Ridley would work, though. His enormous size would make him either broken or just a big target that can hardly pull off an attack.

Edited by Johnny Boy

Edited by speedfreak

It's not just about resizing though. From what I've seen and heard, the problem with making Ridley a playable character is also trying to get his proportions right without dwarfing him compared to the others, considering his general length and body structure (such as his big wings, long tail and other stuff) unlike Bowser or Pikachu, who at least still have a general humanoid frame to work from.

His wings aren't much bigger then Charizards, and even so they could be "closed" unless gliding.

Also in many of the games Ridley stays in a curled up position.

6419-468x-Super%20Metroid%20-%20Ridley%20Fight.jpg

That could help with the body length thing. He does have a long body, but it's not like he's going to be stretching, laid out across the level. He does have a long tail, but I'm sue they could make it work.

Like I said he looks fine in that picture I posted above(The meles opening one). Not too dwarfed, a good size for playable Ridley.

Edited by speedfreak

Also in many of the games Ridley stays in a curled up position.
Edited by fluffybunnyboy

He really wouldn't need to be much bigger than that.

I kind of think he would be- especially if they wanted to make his proportions more accurate. But then again, I have a hard time accepting Bowser being as small as he is in Smash Bros, even if he's like that already in most of the Mario spinoffs.

But if Metroid is gonna have any more character representation, there's only ONE real choice.

char_21847.jpg

But if Metroid is gonna have any more character representation, there's only ONE real choice.

char_21847.jpg

Not true, as a fan of the series, I've seen plenty of characters and there's six other characters who could be chosen from Metroid..

All_hunters.jpg

Any of the Hunters from Metroid Prime: Hunters :)

GFtrooper_trio.png

Galactic Federation Soldier.

space-pirate-metroid-prime-artwork.jpg

A space Pirate.

metroid-forms-artwork.jpg

or even certain metroid forms..

But I'd rather metroids appear in the Smash Bros. Story :)

To be honest, if I had to choose another Metroid representative besides Ridley, I'd go with Dark Samus. She's actually got a lot more going for her than one might think - pretty much all her weapons function entirely different to Samus's equivalents, like the charge beam that shoots scatter shots and the boost ball that bounces off things. She's even got that funny levitation shtick going on if you need to differentiate animations too. There's a lot to work with despite the cliche'd "evil twin" thing going on.

While I'm on that subject actually, it kinda surprises me that we didn't get a Dark Aether stage for Brawl - the damaging-atmosphere-with-safe-zones mechanic would've made for some interesting fights, at least more interesting than the same rising-lava-hazard crap we've had 50 fucking times already. I'm hoping they consider something like that for Smash 4, but eh, no telling how they're gonna handle representation yet. Best to wait until Sakurai reopens Smash Dojo again.

I was gonna mention dark samus but I didn't cos other than what you said, she isn't much difference and they could easily make her a colour swap for samus, whereas I would rather see some of the hunters from MP:H seeing as they each have their own signiture weapon and their own morph mode :)

On a side not, I wish I still had that game for DS :'(

And like how Kirby and Olimar are considerably enlarged.

Edited by Facehugger

Smash Bros. Wii U should be capable of 3D effects on a 3D TV! So we can have a 3DS like stage :D .

I was gonna mention dark samus but I didn't cos other than what you said, she isn't much difference and they could easily make her a colour swap for samus
The basic physycal structure is practically the only thing those two even have in common - their weapons function entirely differently, they move about entirely differently, and I'm pretty sure even their equivalents of melee attacks could be considered entirely different too (not that she had many in MP2/3 - the close range area shockwave is the only one I remember off the top of my head). This, in contrast to the mere two differences between hunters in MPH? One of which is literally interchangeable between all of them? I'm not entirely sure you're giving Dark Samus her dues essentially because she looks a bit like the original article - she doesn't act the same in any real way besides having an arm cannon, and even then she has almost no weapons in common to speak of.

How do you propose that they put a spin, (In terms of functionality.), on a stage gimmick like that? Otherwise, it'll just become an essentially repainted equivalent of what we already possess; and if the appearance is the only thing that changes, it doesn't matter much to gameplay, espesially if a fundamentally similar mechanic is pre-existing.
What on earth are you talking about? Are there any stages in Brawl that even have safe/damaging zones?

Are there any stages in Brawl that even have safe/damaging zones?

In Brawl, (If memory serves), there is a stage featuring jets of fire and walls of lava which kareen across the screen, the only way to escape the latter generally being to enter some sort of randomly positioned 'pod'. Unless this is not what you meant, in which case, feel free to ignore/rip to shreds.

What on earth are you talking about?
I was talking about how Brawl already features stages with naturally occuring elements and zones which can damage the player of their own accord; I also wished to know what you could propose that would make what we've 'seen 50 times', more interesting outside of a cosmetic upgrade, as from a gameplay point of view, and given the fact that it has apparently become boring by now, a mere cosmetic modification will not be sufficient. Edited by Facehugger

PhoenixWright.png

That's right. You all know he'd be epic for the new Smash Bros.. Who wouldn't say no to a good Objection?

Edited by Tatsumaki

In Brawl, (If memory serves), there is a stage featuring jets of fire and walls of lava which kareen across the screen, the only way to escape the latter generally being to enter some sort of randomly positioned 'pod'. Unless this is not what you meant, in which case, feel free to ignore/rip to shreds.
I meant moreso damaging zones insofar as causing constant damage and nothing else. It's not like Dark Aether's atmosphere knocks you about the place ala Brinstar's lava whenever you enter it. Something more like the rain in the "Stay Dry" minigame of the Warioware stage.

I was talking about how Brawl already features stages with naturally occuring elements and zones which can damage the player of their own accord; I also wished to know what you could propose that would make what we've 'seen 50 times', more interesting outside of a cosmetic upgrade, as from a gameplay point of view, and given the fact that it has apparently become boring by now, a mere cosmetic modification will not be sufficient.
Besides what I've already mentioned, you could easily take into the account the sheer variety of the actual safe zones in MP2 if static lights aren't enough. For example, beacons that need to be attacked before they can spawn a safe zone, or that one beetle that I can't remember the name of that functions as a moving safe zone. The concept of an omni-damaging atmosphere with only a few safe spots is already an original idea as far as Smash is concerned, but if you need more to go by, well, there you go.

It's scientifically proven that Ace Attorney characters aren't allowed in fighting games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I meant moreso damaging zones insofar as causing constant damage and nothing else. It's not like Dark Aether's atmosphere knocks you about the place ala Brinstar's lava whenever you enter it. Something more like the rain in the "Stay Dry" minigame of the Warioware stage.

Perhaps you are correct in saying this is an overly reccuring element of stages then, as Brawl has Norfair and Brinstar, Brinstar being a stage carried onwards from Melee, and even then, Brinstar was a re-designed Planet Zebes (?) from the *original* smash game.

Besides what I've already mentioned, you could easily take into the account the sheer variety of the actual safe zones in MP2 if static lights aren't enough. For example, beacons that need to be attacked before they can spawn a safe zone, or that one beetle that I can't remember the name of that functions as a moving safe zone. The concept of an omni-damaging atmosphere with only a few safe spots is already an original idea as far as Smash is concerned, but if you need more to go by, well, there you go.
Adding onto that the fact that triggering the only methods via which players can escape the damage-over-time is an *interactive* mechanic could make things interesting, and frenzied. I like this idea, and hope they create a stage with damage-dealing only atmosphere, and interactive safe-zones. The chaos that would ensue on such a map.

....Epic.

Edited by Facehugger