Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Considering sonics popularity on Nintendo consoles, and his multiple crossovers with the Mario franchise, and his rivalry, I'm still inclined to believe he has a good shot at making it. I mean he was one of the most popular characters in brawl.

But aside from that, pacman does seem to have a good shot at this, and I would like to see megaman. Perhaps another realistic "snake like"character in the game? I'd also like to see a TWEWY considering its popularity on the DS. But that will probably not happen.

Considering that chemistry, I'd be surprised if Sonic didn't make it in...

Honestly, I would be kind of sad if sonic didn't make it in, heck he was the reason I even bothered to go through brawl's story mode in the first place when I heard you unlock him at the very end (and in the most shoehorned way possible I might add) atleast im hoping sonic and maybe snake stay with two or three more third parties like a tales of character or megaman(though given capcoms behavior lately this definitely isn't happening).

Personaly, if they do keep sonic in, they should also bring in Knuckles, I mean he would be perfect for this type of game

I don't want any more third party characters than the ones we got the last game, especially not multiple 3rd party franchise inclusions that aren't assist trophies.

This is a Nintendo game meant to honor the history of all their respective brands. Throwing in random characters left and right would turn it into an incomprehensible mess. The only reason Sonic worked is because he's deeply rooted both as a rivaling character and a character who also managed to become a driving character for Nintendo platforms. Snake also worked because of the off-the-wall nature of the franchise, the fact that MGS had been on the Gamecube and Kojima's story of begging for his inclusion that just sort of is so insane it makes sense, and he also manged to blend into the cast in the Subspace Emissary.

Any more than that and you're going away from generous inclusions into becoming fanboy fantasies. It's kind of ridiculous, Sakurai even commented himself saying that he'd have to narrow down the inclusions because of losing focus with third party inclusions.

• Thumbs Up 5

If Sonic is in the new Smash Bros together with a Namco character like Pacman or Klonoa (not gonna happen D: ) I'll be very happy to see his return. I felt that the blue hedgehog was a very late addition to the cast as he has barely any remixed songs bar one and was only at the VERY end of Subspace Emissary. Plus, Roger saying "You're too slow!" is going to be great to hear! XD

I don't know if any more than two third party characters will be in this.

Edited by Gabz Girl

While I don't personally see Snake returning you can add me to the list of people who would be surprised if Sonic didn't.

Regardless of even if it was for no other reason than to print money this time around he still has a great Nintendo history himself plus you know you can't wait to duke it out on the inevitable Seaside Hill stage.

If we're going for other third parties though I think the logical choices would be Pac-Man if Namco are developing seeing as he also has a history with Nintendo and even managed to turn the Mario Kart GP series into a full blown crossover. I'd say probably one of the original Final Fantasy characters as well, they've been in so many Mario crossover games now that I think one of them at least has a chance of appearing, maybe?

I can really see Mega Man fitting right in but honestly everything seems to have gone tits up with Mega Man as a franchise so it'd be kind of awkward to do so now.  Would have been fine in Brawl but feels a bit late now.

I too hope Sonic and Snake return though.  Their inclusion did feel perfectly natural.

• Thumbs Up 2

Super-Smash-Bros-Pacman.jpg

Urghhh just realised if Pac-Man does get in he'll look like this... Do not want.

I swear to god if people start requesting Geno again...

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want any more third party characters than the ones we got the last game, especially not multiple 3rd party franchise inclusions that aren't assist trophies.

This is a Nintendo game meant to honor the history of all their respective brands. Throwing in random characters left and right would turn it into an incomprehensible mess. The only reason Sonic worked is because he's deeply rooted both as a rivaling character and a character who also managed to become a driving character for Nintendo platforms. Snake also worked because of the off-the-wall nature of the franchise, the fact that MGS had been on the Gamecube and Kojima's story of begging for his inclusion that just sort of is so insane it makes sense, and he also manged to blend into the cast in the Subspace Emissary.

Any more than that and you're going away from generous inclusions into becoming fanboy fantasies. It's kind of ridiculous, Sakurai even commented himself saying that he'd have to narrow down the inclusions because of losing focus with third party inclusions.

Yeah, the only 3rd party chatricters in the game should be Sonic and Snake, because they make sense in that regard. However I think other 3rd party characters that make less sense could be DLC packs, that way they don't throw off the Nintendo tribute in the main game, and yet they can still be in the game. 

Honestly I feel that they should at least add in someone like Pacman as a Namco Bandai rep seeing as they are helping to make the game after all. Speaking of which, I actually prefer the new modern Pac-man over the older ones.

Though I do kinda like the idea of having other 3rd party characters as DLC. Having other 3rd parties sorta pay for their mascots/characters into the game would be a pretty smart move for Nintendo, and would keep said 3rd parties from filling up the initial roster. Though, I'd personally be more excited for any Nintendo related DLC that they'd be willing to dish out.

Personally not expecting to see Sonic. I'd say he's got a better shot than any other non-Namco third party, due to great demand and reception in Brawl, but it's clear Nintendo doesn't want to go overboard in representing non-Nintendo franchises. 

Also I don't want to see any Sonic reps besides him- one is enough, and most other characters don't have nearly as much to offer.

I'm with you on that. He's one character quite a few people seem to want, yet would make absolutely no sense to include- even if he weren't owned by Square Enix. 

Honestly I feel that they should at least add in someone like Pacman as a Namco Bandai rep seeing as they are helping to make the game after all. Speaking of which, I actually prefer the new modern Pac-man over the older ones.

Though I do kinda like the idea of having other 3rd party characters as DLC. Having other 3rd parties sorta pay for their mascots/characters into the game would be a pretty smart move for Nintendo, and would keep said 3rd parties from filling up the initial roster. Though, I'd personally be more excited for any Nintendo related DLC that they'd be willing to dish out.

You're not the first person to say this, and I really don't understand this line of thinking. Why are we even talking about DLC before we've seen the vanilla game yet?

Not to mention most of the time, third party characters are intended as a selling point. Locking them on the disc, or creating them later, is going to get less sales from people who got interested in the game for that character. Usually a big third party promotion is gonna be one of the first things they show off.

And whether or not they were DLC would not affect whether Nintendo was paying the third party or vise versa. Nintendo would either be paying for the rights to use the characters, or the third party would be paying for promotion in the game(usually the former, from what I've seen in other cases) but making them DLC would likely have no bearing on that.

Edited by Solly

I'm honestly not sure about Sonic.  There seems to be an equal chance of him returning and an equal chance of him being omitted.  I would personally love to see his return, but I guess time will tell.  If Namco is truly aiding in the development, though, then yeah, I'm pretty sure Pac-Man will make an appearance in some form or the other.  Not only is he iconic to Namco, but his first game has such a legacy to it that I'm kind of surprised, though not disappointed, that they haven't included him already.

One thing is for certain, though.  We're probably going to see more playable Pokémon characters, as per usual... not that I have a problem with that.

Urghhh just realised if Pac-Man does get in he'll look like this... Do not want.

Am I the only who actually sort of likes this design?  It's cute.  I find it interesting, though, that while Megaman gets (not sure if temporarily or not) turned into an overweight, elderly man, Pac-Man turns into a kid, where it was the reverse not too long ago.  At least, it was commonly perceived to be the reverse.

I just don't really like how the design is self-referential. It's so tacky, it's like they don't really know what to do with Pac-Man or who he should be appealing to.

Are there even many Nintendo characters left that could be good playable characters that aren't from already represented franchises? I guess maybe Little Mac and I'd like a Golden Sun rep but I can't think of many off the top of my head.

I actually don't mind this design much. Seems like a decent evolution from his Pacman World design, imo. (Too bad there was never a PMW4 on 7th gen systems...) The shoes are kinda "busy" looking considering the overall simplicity of the overall design, but I still think they look cool. The blue in his eyes also complement the rest of him and now he has a complete "primary color" thing going on with his design which is actually pretty pleasant to look at imo. [/sucker for bright colors]

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why are we talking about Pac-Man and not Klonoa who would be ten times as awesome?

;3

• Thumbs Up 3

But Pac-Man is already in the game!

render_17.png

Joking aside, personally I would like to see Mewtwo come back, he was such a cool character to play as.

Though, I have a feeling thats not gonna happen. Instead we'll problably get a Gen 6 pokemon to promote the new games.

• Thumbs Up 7

Why are we talking about Pac-Man and not Klonoa who would be ten times as awesome?

;3

Because Pac-Man is way more popular since he is a huge gaming icon and Klonoa hasn't had a game since 2009 and that was a remake of a Playstation game.

Edited by Tmsp

I'm hoping to see every character from Brawl, Blaze, Classic Mega Man, Mewtwo (returning with a large buff plz) and Genesect make an appearance.

I also hope that the story mode (if there is one) is more fun than the SSE and has locations and enemies from all the various games, and not just "generic desert with generic enemies, generic factory with generic enemies, generic jungle WITH GOOMBAS AND KOOPAS HELL YES, generic mountain with generic enemies..."

Even the Halberd felt very generic.

Yeah the SSE was complete ass, you've got like, 30 years of Nintendo video game history at your disposal and you chose generic locations and enemies why??? I can't help but feel a lot of SSE was that supposed scrapped Kirby game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, the Subspace Emissary was pretty bad. The whole trophy thing makes sense in context with Melee and Brawl actually having collectables like that, but making the Smash Bros universe "a world where trophies fight" and trying to write a story around it is a huge waste.

It really would've been better if they just did something along the lines of Melee's adventure mode- maybe with multiplayer like what the SSE had. If they really wanted to do something story-oriented maybe they could have unique intros and endings. I appreciate single player content but there's no need to go overboard.

I would have just preferred a tournament like in the beginning. Pick a character, fight to the end, fight final boss, the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic making a return would be nice, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he doesn't show up. If they add any other Sonic characters, then Knuckles and Tails are an obvious must. Just imagine lifting your enemies up as tails and dropping them from high points to do massive damage, and beating the living daylights out of other fighters with knuckles' gloves. How sweet would that be? But I'm honestly preparing for the worst. Super Smash Bros is a Nintendo fighting game, not a sega fighter, so it would make sense if they don't appear. Looking back, this really makes me want a sega styled Super Smash bros. The possibilities for that game are endless!

I would have just preferred a tournament like in the beginning. Pick a character, fight to the end, fight final boss, the end.

Like Arcade Mode in regular fighting games?

H1r4QZr.png

• Thumbs Up 6

If Sonic does return we aren't going to see Knuckles or Tails as playable that's a given. If any other character does make an appearance I really hope they replace Shadow with Dr. Eggman as the Sonic assist trophy because that was so lame that it wasn't him the first time around.

• Thumbs Up 1