Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

The Shadow assist trophy was lame to begin with, nothing more than an overglorified stop watch with a "fancy" screen effect. Having Dr. Eggman flying out in his Egg Wrecking Ball, or some other famous contraption, and fucking up the competition would be a million times better than what we got with Shadow.

Also, as for new additions, though I don't really expect for them to add another Sonic character on their own, I personally wouldn't mind if they tagged Tails onto Sonic making them an Ice Climbers esque team-up, maybe bring their 69ing from S4:E2 into game as one of the moves, and have the ability swap over to Tails, possibly through some taunt or the standard Down Special swap out that most characters get.  Though this is mainly because I want to see the two of them taunt opponents together like they did to the mecha Eggman in the OVA, and I acknowledge that this is about as likely as any other character getting in on their own

Because Pac-Man is way more popular since he is a huge gaming icon and Klonoa hasn't had a game since 2009 and that was a remake of a Playstation game.

What would you say of Marth (and Roy) in Melee, then? A character that no one knew beforehand, yet thanks to his inclusion in Melee, he and the entire Fire Emblem franchise became popular afterward?

I think the same could be said of Klonoa if he got into this game instead of Pac-Man. In fact, he needs it desperately. I've been saying this for years now.

If he doesn't, then it'd be yet another stupid business decision on Namco's part surrounding his franchise.

I would have just preferred a tournament like in the beginning. Pick a character, fight to the end, fight final boss, the end.

Isn't that what Classic Mode is for?

You've also got Boss Battles, etc.

I liked Brawl because it tried to be more interesting in the single player aspect, and I'd really wish other fighting games tried that as well.

I mean, if you have all of these great characters from big franchises with a few surprise guests here and there, you might as well make a huge, Nintendo-oriented story with it. Sure the SSE wasn't the best, but it was their first attempt for something like that in Smash Bros. And it was pretty decent for a first attempt to me.

The Wii U has a lot more power, and this would be their second time trying it, I'd like to see what they can do trying a story mode again with that in mind.

• Thumbs Up 8

What would you say of Marth (and Roy) in Melee, then? A character that no one knew beforehand, yet thanks to his inclusion in Melee, he and the entire Fire Emblem franchise became popular afterward?

A character that no one in the U.S. knew beforehand. Fire Emblem sold pretty well in Japan during the NES and SNES years - there wouldn't have been 5 FE games and a 6th on the way during Melee's development had sales been pretty bad for the franchise.

Marth and Roy were planned from the start of Melee's development, but there were concerns on including them in localized versions. Nintendo decided to take that risk, and it paid off immensely.

A character that no one in the U.S. knew beforehand. Fire Emblem sold pretty well in Japan during the NES and SNES years - there wouldn't have been 5 FE games and a 6th on the way during Melee's development had sales been pretty bad for the franchise.

Marth and Roy were planned from the start of Melee's development, but there were concerns on including them in localized versions. Nintendo decided to take that risk, and it paid off immensely.

That's pretty much my point. Namco needs to take that risk as well with Klonoa for this game, not simply put their mascot (Pac-Man) into this game and call it a day.

And around the time of Brawl's pre-release, btw, IIRC, there was a poll for Japanese gamers asking which third-party character they'd like to see. Klonoa ranked pretty high on it.

It might've been a poll by a non-reputable/non-popular site/magazine, though, so don't quote me on that one.

My dream story mode would be like...

Remember in 64 and Melee, where the Target/Platform stages were based specifically around a character's abilities?  I'd love a story mode which is about Melee Adventure mode's length, but one for each character.  They could budget it by having characters from the same series share levels, perhaps even have some reskinned levels to compensate for the many characters who are the sole represenatives of their franchises, but as long as at least 25%-50% of each character's adventure is original content designed solely for their moveset, I'll be happy.  And maybe have each one have a secret unlockable level exclusive to them as well for playing on Hard/Very Hard which REALLY tests their moveset and only experts at that character will know the tricks necessary to complete the platforming provided or beat the boss enemy.

A little throwaway intro/ending for each character that references their games would be appreciated.  For example Kirby is chasing down a cake that Dedede stole etc, and a unique match against Dedede would be the final stage.

For Samus she is flying in her ship and spots Ridley, so chases him down to a planet.  To finish her story, she faces a boss battle and then a classic escape sequence.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 8

That's pretty much my point. Namco needs to take that risk as well with Klonoa for this game, not simply put their mascot (Pac-Man) into this game and call it a day.

And around the time of Brawl's pre-release, btw, IIRC, there was a poll for Japanese gamers asking which third-party character they'd like to see. Klonoa ranked pretty high on it.

It might've been a poll by a non-reputable/non-popular site/magazine, though, so don't quote me on that one.

We are talking about 3rd party characters here, if it was some Nintendo franchise that could work.

We are talking about SSB, if a 3rd party guy is going to appear it needs some recognition like Sonic or Snake and if there is a character that is recognized worldwide by everyone it is Pac-Man.

^ Agreed. Just because Namco are making the game don't expect a whole bunch of their characters to appear, this isn't a crossover game.

I'm expecting Pac-Man as a Namco character though if they do miraculously get other characters it'll likely be either Mr. Driller or Dig Dug. Maybe as cameos though.

My dream story mode would be like...

Remember in 64 and Melee, where the Target/Platform stages were based specifically around a character's abilities?  I'd love a story mode which is about Melee Adventure mode's length, but one for each character.  They could budget it by having characters from the same series share levels, perhaps even have some reskinned levels to compensate for the many characters who are the sole represenatives of their franchises, but as long as at least 25%-50% of each character's adventure is original content designed solely for their moveset, I'll be happy.  And maybe have each one have a secret unlockable level exclusive to them as well for playing on Hard/Very Hard which REALLY tests their moveset and only experts at that character will know the tricks necessary to complete the platforming provided or beat the boss enemy.

A little throwaway intro/ending for each character that references their games would be appreciated.  For example Kirby is chasing down a cake that Dedede stole etc, and a unique match against Dedede would be the final stage.

For Samus she is flying in her ship and spots Ridley, so chases him down to a planet.  To finish her story, she faces a boss battle and then a classic escape sequence.

Sounds sort of like what Namco did with Soul Calibur II.  That's a really good idea, though.  Only I'd like to see some context as to how they get into the different universes with the other characters.  I don't know if Brawl delivered that or not as I never got to finishing the Subspace Emmisery before the one friend I had that owned the game took it back.

Characters should be included because they're popular or because people want them, not the other way around. The Fire Emblem example isn't an apt comparison, because at least in Japan, they were part of Nintendo's history and Smash Bros is a celebration of that. How they select a third party characters is obviously going to be different.

Pac-Man is basically Namco's Mario, and one of the most iconic video game characters ever created. It's really hard to see why they'd choose someone like Klonoa over him.

This is all assuming they even do a third party character, which isn't guaranteed in itself.

Did people really think I was suggesting Klonoa as a realistic addition? I was just mentioning him because I simply like the character far more and would enjoy his inclusion more so than a character like Pac-Man.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

Look just keep Sonic and add Megaman and I'm fine s'far as 3rd party characters.

• Thumbs Up 8

well, if word ever gets out that Ninty is considering a 3rd party, if Sonic's NOT it, you know people will do what they did with Brawl and request him left and right. Some people don't realize that even though Sonic has such a history alongside Nintendo and Mario, one of the main reasons for his inclusion was because the people wanted it.

Oh and.... Megaman needs more love and I don't mean that abomination, although hilarious, one we got in SxT

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 2

I keep thinking that if Sakurai asked Capcom for Mega Man's inclusion they'll intsead inceseantly push for Ryu or some other Street Fighter character to be put in his place.

• Thumbs Up 1

well, if word ever gets out that Ninty is considering a 3rd party, if Sonic's NOT it, you know people will do what they did with Brawl and request him left and right. Some people don't realize that even though Sonic has such a history alongside Nintendo and Mario, one of the main reasons for his inclusion was because the people wanted it.

Yes, which is why Sonic was the only character added in 2007, which Sakurai originally didn't want because it was really late in the development process and every character had been made already.

They clearly do listen to the fans.

So you would pay money for a console you don't want just because of one game that may or may not have Sonic in it??

Seems legit.

Reminds me of the whole all stars racing transformed fiasco that went on back a few months ago.(I think you know what I'm talking about)

But seriously, gotta agree, it sounds pretty silly to not get a console because a game that will still be awesome, might not include one character.

• Thumbs Up 4

Getting flashbacks about a certain Sonic racing game that would have been boycotted if Banjo and Kazooie weren't featured. 

Said game was bought anyway if my memory serves me right.

Cuz the game was awesome regardless.

EDIT:  Xana.    Why.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

So you would pay money for a console you don't want just because of one game that may or may not have Sonic in it??

Seems legit.

I don't even plan on getting a Wii U until the next Smash is revealed with a release date. My Wii was a $250 Brawl/Project M machine because that's literally all I really played on it besides another game here and there. Unless the rumored 3DS version is a thing, then I will probably hold off on getting a Wii U since I have a 3DS

Yes, which is why Sonic was the only character added in 2007, which Sakurai originally didn't want because it was really late in the development process and every character had been made already.

They clearly do listen to the fans.

Which probably played a big part of Sonic being one of the worst characters in the game, thank the fans for Project M and a proper Sonic XD

I don't even plan on getting a Wii U until the next Smash is revealed with a release date. My Wii was a $250 Brawl/Project M machine because that's literally all I really played on it besides another game here and there. Unless the rumored 3DS version is a thing, then I will probably hold off on getting a Wii U since I have a 3DS

Which probably played a big part of Sonic being one of the worst characters in the game, thank the fans for Project M and a proper Sonic XD

The 3ds version isn't a rumor. Wasn't it confirmed during last e3 along with the WiiU version?

Sonic was the most broken. I wouldn't say worst, considering how many people used him.

Which probably played a big part of Sonic being one of the worst characters in the game

...He's like mid-tier. That's not bad at all, considering this is a list that splinters "bad" off into three separate categories.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's mid-tier, just a few characters shy of the Borderline tier between High and Mid. But his placement may drop because no one plays him anymore and went to Meta Knight, or Marvel.

His last-minute inclusion meant making his moveset on a whim, and it also meant abiding to one of the basic forms of balancing - he's fast, so he's gotta be weak. If Sonic is included in Smash 4, and is included with time to spare before the game's released, hopefully his moveset will be adjusted and balanced more efficiently.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll be very fucking pissed if Sonic's not there (Him being in Brawl is what got me into Smash in the first place, and then I learned it was awesome regardless) but I'll probably still buy the game.

Seriously, keep Sonic Sakuari. He makes a lot of sense as a third-party character and you'll lose a lot of buys and create tons of fan hatred if you remove him.