Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Except done a million times better. Case in point, look how loved and popular Zero's games were compared to Shadow's loathed game.

Comparing games is not the same as comparing characters, people would hate ShtH no matter who starred in it. Zero's still part of the "look at me I'm so much cooler and more badass than the protagonist" class of characters regardless of Shadow being worse.

How cool his powers are? He uses a beam sword

Which alone is enough to get a nerdy kid to half mast.

I wouldn't know. Obnoxious fan demand? All I know is back when Smash Dojo was constantly getting updates and I saw Sonic, I just thought "Okay, cool?"

Which alone is enough to get a nerdy kid to half mast.

Yeah, I guess.

Comparing games is not the same as comparing characters, people would hate ShtH no matter who starred in it. Zero's still part of the "look at me I'm so much cooler and more badass than the protagonist" class of characters regardless of Shadow being worse.

To be perfectly fair, Inafune originally intended him to be the protagonist of the X games before executive meddling forced him to create X himself. He was pretty much meant to have the spotlight from the get-go.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 6

To be perfectly fair, Inafune originally intended him to be the protagonist of the X games before executive meddling forced him to create X himself. He was pretty much meant to have the spotlight from the get-go.

Is there somewhere I could read about this (and by extension the development of Megaman X?) because that sounds pretty interesting. I guess Zero is the real X then? 

Is there somewhere I could read about this (and by extension the development of Megaman X?) because that sounds pretty interesting. I guess Zero is the real X then? 

Yeah he was intended too, but others in Capcom thought the design was too far from the original Megaman, so Inafune made X and kinda put Zero on the side as a supporting role until Zero was finally playable. You can find this info in any megaman wiki really

• Thumbs Up 1

I really realllllllly want more playable females and villains and female villains this time around. This series so far has been a total good guy sausage fest, there are so many awesome villains and females in Nintendo history that just get shafted by Smash Bros.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really realllllllly want more playable females and villains and female villains this time around. This series so far has been a total good guy sausage fest, there are so many awesome villains and females in Nintendo history that just get shafted by Smash Bros.

Most series are geared towards male audiences, and have male characters. Proportionally most characters are going to be male.

Given that the female gamer population has been growing, however, this trend will likely change in the future, with more balanced casts. Until then it's really just a consequence of how the market's been.

==

More on topic. This'll be one of the titles that'll incentivise me towards a Wii U since I've collected the others. I just wonder if Sonic will remain in it (he's an easy cashin, after all) or if he'll get Roy'd. Either way I'll get it though having my favorite videogame character is an easy way to assist my purchasing decision. :P

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I'd prefer Classic Mega Man over X and Zero, seeing how he was the ORIGINAL one, and if it weren't for him then X and Zero wouldn't exist. That and it's the only Mega Man series I truly enjoy. Also, what's the ratio of Classic Megs's fighting game appearances to X and Zero's again? Something like 1:8?

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

I ment Obnoxious Fan Demand as in Sonic fans, not Nintendo fans.

Of course I grew up in the 90's, but even if I didn't you can just go to the comments section of any YouTube video related to either character and see the shit still brought up.

A female villian? The only one that comes to mind:

kid-icarus-uprising-20100615051453813.jp

Medusa from Kid Icarus... Yes. I want this!

Edited by SweeCrue
  • Thumbs Up 4

I can't even really think of very many significant female characters that represent the Nintendo brand that aren't already in Smash Bros. Maybe Paula and Kumatora from the Mother series but other than that I can't really think of many.

Ashley from Wario Ware is someone my best friend mentions a lot. Krystal from Star Fox, maybe? I fucking hate that character tho'.

Edited by Chooch

Depends on what Krystal. If it was Adventures Krystal with her staff, she could have her own moveset other than another Fox clone.

Zero is already in MvC3, and TvC, Classic Mega Man would be the most logical choice.

As for females....uh, Paletuna? I dunno, all of Nintendo's big name girls are already in the game, I don't think there are anymore. I mean you've Captain Syrup, and  Ashley from WarioWare but that's about all I Can think of.

If they add any more female characters they need to put Lyn in there. FE could use more representation.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dixie or Ashley either.

Since I was talking about how I wanted Mega man X's inclusion, I figured I may as well make up a potential moveset for him.

Mega Man X

Down B: Change Weapon: Cycles through his Mega Buster and 3 other Maverick weapons (using ones from X1 because that`s the most iconic game) The three weapons are Fire Wave, Homing Torpedo and Chameleon Sting, which pretty much behave just like they do in X1.

Normal B: X-Buster/Whatever weapon you selected: X-buster can rapid fire, behaving kind of like Fox's blaster, and can also be charged into a powerful charge shot. Once the shot is fully charged, X can move around it with the charge stored ala Samus and the Mega Man X games (when charging and rapid shooting, he stands still. He can start shooting/charging in the air though).

Side B: Buster Dash: Mega Man X dashes forward in his "Dashing while shooting" animation from the X games while a blue attack aura emanates from the front of his buster (could not really think of anything better for Side B Attack)

Up B: Rocket Jump/Dash: X stops for a split second in the air, ala Megaman X3, and either gets a boost upwards, or does an air dash either left or right depending on which way you hold the stick after the initial animation.

Other Quirks: When he dashes, he goes into his trademark dash animation, and then (after the animation finishes) goes into a slower but still-a-dash regular run for the rest of the time you dash. If you try to change directions when in the initial dash animation, he can change directions instantly, again ala the Mega Man X games. Dash attack is a slide, as a reference to his predecessor, Classic Mega Man.

Final Smash: Ultimate Armor X: X dons his ultimate armor from Mega Man X4/5, and his standard Side B gets replaced with the Ultimate Armor`s Giga Attack (which has the same "nothing can stop it" properties from the games, so it can also be used as a good approach tool). His X-buster become much more powerful and his special weapons gain their charge attacks, and in general his attacks become much more powerful. Think sort of like Wario-Man, but with those weapon enhancements, Giga Attack, and no gain to jumping ability. Armor breaks off after a reasonable time limit.

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Classic Megaman is the only Megaman I find myself into as well.  "Classic" depending on your definition.  80's/90's Megaman to be perfectly specific.  That's the only Megaman I'd want to see in the new Smash Bros.

Also, not that I have anything against gender diversity in the series, but the only significant female character that I can think of that isn't already in Smash Bros. would have to be Dixie Kong.  I've never played the Wario Ware games, so I can't really comment on Ashley.  Every other character is too significant to mention and/or would probably only do good as a duplicate of another character.  (i.e. Daisy, who would just be a clone of Peach)

EDIT - Oh yeah, and Krystal I guess could work too I suppose.  I suppose.

Edited by Akito

If they actually picked a Mega Man character, it'd have to be Classic Mega Man. He's the most iconic, and has the biggest history with Nintendo consoles. It's hard to imagine them actually doing it, though.

I still have no idea why Sonic and Snake were in Brawl. 

Hideo Kojima's son really liked Smash Bros, and played it a lot with his dad, but pointed out that none of his characters were in the game. Since Kojima and Sakurai are friends, he nearly begged him to put Snake in Melee, but it was too late in the dev process so he ended up in the sequel.

Sonic got in because of fan demand, which got even bigger when Snake's inclusion went public. Sakurai was actually against adding him at the time because it was so late in development and everyone else was already done.

Lucina is the only FE female I would expect to be in Smash 4. Nintendo seems to want to stick with the Original Lord and the Flavor-of-the-month when it comes to FE representation. But then the "Marth clone" floodgates would be blown wide open.

Only way I can see Palutena or Medusa being in Smash 4 would be in special in-stage conversations with Viridi, Pit, and Hades, similar to the Starfox dialogue or Snake's Codecs. Which would be awesome, by the way.

Other than krystal only other female I can really think of is Mother Brain, and that would be..... odd wheter you go for classic tank brain, or brain on gaint android body....

It's worth noting that in Kid Icarus: Uprising that

You actually

fight Palutena at two seperate points in the game. And not even as a big-ass giant like Medusa and Hades were, she was completely normal sized and had a neat selection of moves to choose from.

So I wouldn't exactly rule out a playable Palutena if it came to more Kid Icarus reps. Though I'm betting people are more looking for Magnus if only to represent the whole line of clubs that were available in the game.

If I had to pick a female character though, and didn't mind being somewhat odd about it, my choice would be Alexander Roivas of Eternal Darkness fame. She's a bit more down to earth as far as Ninty IPs are concerned, and I guess thinking up a recovery move might be a bit difficult considering she doesn't even jump, but the Magick mechanic could make for some interesting moves with a little tweaking.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot. Gandrayda from Metroid Prime 3. Just as acrobatic as Zero Suit, has some pretty cool electrical moves, and can temporarily transform into other characters. Why not? I wouldn't mind a Krystal rep too, more on a moveset basis themed off Adventures than her actual character.

Edited by The Cheese

Anything Kid Icarus: Uprising related would be welcome, that game was chock full of awesomeness. I'd love to see Hades as one of the boss characters if there's another story mode.

As for female characters... erm... the only one that instantly springs to mind is Rosalina, but I have no what type of attacks she'd have. Maybe a final smash in which an army of Lumas transform into a black hole? Or the Comet Observatory crash-landing onto the battle arena?