Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

I dunno, a playable Tom Nook or Resetti doesn't sound too out of the question in my opinion. Though, considering how the roster won't be too large of a jump from the size in Brawl, I guess I could see them choosing other characters over anyone from Animal Crossing, which is pretty disappointing. 

I expect them to kinda pull something similar to a MVC3, as in the roster number will go up 5 or 6 but quite a few characters will get swapped out for new characters.

I dunno, a playable Tom Nook or Resetti doesn't sound too out of the question in my opinion. Though, considering how the roster won't be too large of a jump from the size in Brawl, I guess I could see them choosing other characters over anyone from Animal Crossing, which is pretty disappointing. 

his final smash

• Thumbs Up 1

Sakurai mentioned in a Nintendo Power that Animal Crossing characters don't really lend themselves to be combat-capable like the other Brawl characters do, and so they were left out of Brawl as fighters.

That logic's not likely to go away anytime soon.

I expect them to kinda pull something similar to a MVC3, as in the roster number will go up 5 or 6 but quite a few characters will get swapped out for new characters.

An MvC3 would imply that the size of the roster is lower than the previous game.  MvC2 has 52 characters, MvC3 has 38, UMvC3 has 50.  

An MvC3 would imply that the size of the roster is lower than the previous game.  MvC2 has 52 characters, MvC3 has 38, UMvC3 has 50.  

I meant something along those lines, swapping out people without actually reducing the total amount of characters. Could not think of anything better to call it. If they actually reduced the total roster number, I'd actually be pissed.

I suppose, but it would have to compete with Project M in my mind since the final version of that should be coming out at around the same time. I doubt that the next official game will hold up to a fan made one.

After the disappointment that was Brawl, I just can't get hyped for this game.

Just for the sake of asking, why was Brawl so disappointing? Although I personally prefer the faster more competitive gameplay of Project M and Melee, Brawl had more content, characters and modes which made up for it (I like both Brawl and Melee equally).

I doubt that the next official game will hold up to a fan made one.

-snort-

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone in HD, as well as the moveset changes Namco mentioned.  I'm hoping we'll see Mewtwo return, but it doesn't seem especially likely...

As far as new characters, Isaac from Golden Sun would be AMAZING, as well as an Uprising character or two.  I'd also like to see a few characters from Awakening, such as Chrom replacing Ike, and maybe Vaike or someone as a non-sword option.  I'm so sick of swordsmen in Smash Bros. I could vomit, but I guess Isaac would be one too. tongue.png  Although he can use axes, if I recall...

I'd like to see more customization, too.  Each character having multiple choices for each special slot (for example, Link can have his normal bow, Fire Arrows, Ice Arrows, etc. as his standard special) would be awesome, as well as multiple costumes for each character (instead of just Wario).

Speaking of Wario, I was massively disappointed at his moveset in Brawl, and I'm hoping he gets a more Wario Land/World-inspired one in this game.  Shoulder dash should be his standard special, fo-shizzle.

Edited by Flash-in-the-Pan Wario
  • Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Wario, I was massively disappointed at his moveset in Brawl, and I'm hoping he gets a more Wario Land/World-inspired one in this game.  Shoulder dash should be his standard special, fo-shizzle.

This. I dislike that Wario's moveset is mostly based off of the Warioware series. I hate that they give him a farting attack instead of attacks that were based off of the Wario Land games.

Don't get me wrong I like the Warioware series but I hate how Nintendo seems to have forgotten that Wario started off as a character in a series of platform games that were and continue to be well liked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just for the sake of asking, why was Brawl so disappointing? Although I personally prefer the faster more competitive gameplay of Project M and Melee, Brawl had more content, characters and modes which made up for it (I like both Brawl and Melee equally).

The game is extremely campy, especially with items on. The game has what some call "backwards progression." Basically, the more you know about the game, the slower and more simplistic the game will become. And just to make sure a certain conversation doesn't start from this, I am not saying it can't be competitive or anything of that sort. Sure, Brawl had a lot of content but a lot of it was poorly constructed. Some of the characters didn't have working kits or have any sort of style to their gameplay. What is the point of there being more characters if some of them are nearly unplayable or a complete bore to use? A lot of the items didn't have a lot of diversity in their use and often slowed down the gameplay even more. There were a ton of glitches that came up that made the game look like a poorly constructed fan-made game. The single player had a lot of problems as well, and it might have been because I expected more, but it didn't seem to take advantage of the fact that this is a smash bros game. It didn't give me any nostalgic feelings or that awesome sense that the characters were actually going through each other's worlds to make an ultimate fan service experience. And isn't that what Smash bros is supposed to be? A fighting/party game with a ton of fan service and nostalgic dream fulfillment. Also, the 2nd player aspect of the Subspace mode just seemed like it was tacked on last minute which made some areas way too mindless to get through thanks to the call back button. I think brawl really dropped the ball, both mechanically and stylistically. I admit I may have been over-hyped for the game, but I really have never felt so disappointed with any game. I tried to like it, I really did. I played it for months just hoping I was missing something about it that would make it fun. I never found that missing element of fun that I searched so desperately for.

It would be great if this game turns out better. I have a little bit of hope due to some of the statements about Sakurai being disappointed about aspects of Brawl. I'm not going to get my hopes high though.

Definitely not as high as my hopes for project M.

QxpIvLb.gif

You might enjoy what was done to him in project M if you haven't seen it.

This demonstration was made before the current demo so there have been more changes. Also his jab during grab knocks a coin out of them, which I felt was a wonderful addition.

Edited by Giza

My problem with Wario was the way he...moved. Yeah. Why were his walking and jumping animations so odd? He moved a bit like G&W. O_o I hope they don't keep that in the next Super Smash Bros.

I just hope that the online will be better. Nintendo really fucked up with Brawl's online. It was slow and laggly about 80% of the time. Plus you often got disconnected a lot as well.

I just hope that the online will be better. Nintendo really fucked up with Brawl's online. It was slow and laggly about 80% of the time. Plus you often got disconnected a lot as well.

Don't forget the lack of features for anonymous play. It's entirely two-minute matches with random items. Sure, one can say you should just play with friends but that's a copout; it should be possible to set up a game as host and alter the rules as you can with just about EVERY other online title. Set the match to several minutes, lives, coins, etc. and enable/disable items at will. There's a massive lack of flexibility with anonymous online play, which is ridiculous since you often get paired with the same people over and over anyway. That's a room, so I see no reason why it can't have custom rules.

Frankly worrying about which third-parties characters appearing in the next  Super Smash bros is ridiculous as Masahiro Sakurai never confirmed there will be third party characters, just he will narrow it down

As this fan-art shows 

Who_will_be_the_new_brawler_by_xamoel.jp

Source

Edited by Kareemadeem

Frankly worrying about which third-parties characters appearing in the next  Super Smash bros is ridiculous as Masahiro Sakurai never confirmed there will be third party characters, just he will narrow it down

As this fan-art shows 

Who_will_be_the_new_brawler_by_xamoel.jp

Source

Hey, dont forget about Ironman, or Ant-Man, Or Giant-Man. There are quite a number of charaters out there that name ends with 'man' a number of them super heroes

Super heroes originated from comic books, not video games. 

The next Sonic character should be Metal Sonic  

Metal_Sonic_by_NinaUsagi.jpg

*rim shot* Source

• Thumbs Up 4

HA that would be amusing, though I do have to say once again, that I really think Knuckles would fit the best into this. I know its unlikely, however its also true

All I know is which third-party character who is most likely WON"T appear in the next Super Smash Bros.

rayman_legends_by_jfrteam-d5u8nhq.jpg

Source

Don't mess with Nintendo !

shigeru miyamoto, creator of multiple Nintendo franchises reason for signing the Rayman Legends petition.

It's the closest you'll get to an official statement from Nintendo on the matter.  

Edited by Kareemadeem
  • Thumbs Up 2

So it sounds like at most we'll keep Sonic and Snake due to the easy cashin capabilities there.

If that Man thing were true, it'd obviously be Pac-man due to Namco controlling it. Man he'd have some annoying sound effects; Game and Watch wouldn't be happy at the competition.

I mean if any Namco character gets in I'd want Klonoa but I suppose that's what the modding community is for...

What I'm really interested to see is what changes they will make to the original. Here's hoping they do some extensive beta testing to make it harder to stratify characters into tiers.

How cool his powers are? He uses a beam sword and a cannon that isn't worth shit (except in X6 where it's the only way to make that fucking game tolerable). I like him because of his design and he actually makes X4 a fun game.

On topic though, I wouldn't want to see Mega Man X or Zero or any Mega Man character.

I still have no idea why Sonic and Snake were in Brawl. 

Sonic's inclusion was obviously because of fan demand and if I can recall, Hideo Kojima and Miyomoto are good friends probably being the reason why Snake was included in the game.

Sonic's inclusion was obviously because of fan demand and if I can recall, Hideo Kojima and Miyomoto are good friends probably being the reason why Snake was included in the game.

Yeah it was this. I forget if Kojima or Sakurai asked the other for Snake's inclusion, but that was what ultimately led to it.

Meanwhile a poll was held on what third party character fans wanted to see most. Sonic pretty decisively won that round and so he was included. Really goes to show how close Nintendo and Sega are these days; fans have been clamoring for an actual crossover for years, but the two companies have decided to keep crossovers in spinoffs alone. Ah well, better than nothing, right? The power of fan demand is always wonderful to see yielding results.