Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

All I know is which third-party character who is most likely WON"T appear in the next Super Smash Bros.

rayman_legends_by_jfrteam-d5u8nhq.jpg

Source

shigeru miyamoto, creator of multiple Nintendo franchises reason for signing the Rayman Legends petition.

It's the closest you'll get to an official statement from Nintendo on the matter.  

Well, what did you expect? Rayman originated on a Sony/SEGA console: it should be more sad the fact that he's not in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Edited by Teoskaven

Yeah it was this. I forget if Kojima or Sakurai asked the other for Snake's inclusion, but that was what ultimately led to it.

Kojima begged to put Snake in Brawl. Funny because Kojima barely supports Nintendo.

Kojima begged to put Snake in Brawl. Funny because Kojima barely supports Nintendo.

Well hey, I'm sure both can see the silver lining of this business arrangement... even if it's kind of strange considering how much Snake clashes with everyone else. He's an M-rated character, and everyone's T on the rare occasion. He clashes really bad with a world that's pretty full of cartoonish people. Sonic fits right in since he's got wacko proportions. Snake just is headtilt worthy.

This isn't even touching upon how he just comes across as blatantly broken, with nearly every move having killing capacity, a high speed to size ratio, one of the lowest ducks in the game, an awesome projectile... need I go on? I've heard some folks say "Well yeah he should be strong because of how important his franchise is," but that's nonsense; a fighter should be as balanced as possible. If any character's in the lead it should be by a very minimal amount...

Thus why I am hoping that the next Smash Bros. has some beta testing used to weaken/strengthen characters as necessary to ensure more or less perfect balance. In the age of large amounts of data storage and internet, I don't see why they can't host the character's raw stats on the actual console with the rest of the memory, with required patches for online play regularly fixing issues as they arise.

Well hey, I'm sure both can see the silver lining of this business arrangement... even if it's kind of strange considering how much Snake clashes with everyone else. He's an M-rated character, and everyone's T on the rare occasion. He clashes really bad with a world that's pretty full of cartoonish people. Sonic fits right in since he's got wacko proportions. Snake just is headtilt worthy.

This isn't even touching upon how he just comes across as blatantly broken, with nearly every move having killing capacity, a high speed to size ratio, one of the lowest ducks in the game, an awesome projectile... need I go on? I've heard some folks say "Well yeah he should be strong because of how important his franchise is," but that's nonsense; a fighter should be as balanced as possible. If any character's in the lead it should be by a very minimal amount...

Thus why I am hoping that the next Smash Bros. has some beta testing used to weaken/strengthen characters as necessary to ensure more or less perfect balance. In the age of large amounts of data storage and internet, I don't see why they can't host the character's raw stats on the actual console with the rest of the memory, with required patches for online play regularly fixing issues as they arise.

Playstation all Stars has quite a lot of clashing as well I'd say.

But in Snakes case, I think it's his clashing nature of his series and his serious,mature kind of design that makes him appeal and to a extent "fit" in the Super Smash Universe.tongue.png Personally, I think the was Konami executed it in brawl was better than the way Sony had tried to execute the design clash of Royale. But that's just me.

Edited by X.A.N.A

Eh, just wait until they show it at E3. Everyone will be jizzing all over the goddamn place, I guarantee it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have the worst feeling that they will mess up the new Smash Bros. I don't know why, but I am not optimistic about this new version at all. I usually are too.

Given that there's finally a mass crossover of videogame icons for Smash Bros. to contend with, I think this will actually help them raise their standards. Granted there's the console difference but since people buy multiple consoles anyway over time, it's an incentive to not screw up too badly. If Smash Bros. sinks in its capabilities people will defect to the Playstation All Stars fighting series or Sega All Stars fighting series.

link_heros-bow.jpg

ganondorf.jpg

samus_070718d-l.jpg

Samus-super-smash-bros--brawl-84785_400_

hidden02_080207d-l.jpg

ike.jpg

No less than any of these fuckers. The worst you can blame Snake for is being primarily grey - not that a quick skin change can't fix that.

• Thumbs Up 6

Touché, though really, he still clashes simply by merit of being from an M-rated game. The other series are all still fairly lighthearted. All of them use magic, swords or laser weapons. Snake has an actual pistol, grenade, rocket launcher, mortar... he's obviously got a more mature tone than any of the others.

Though really at this point I guess that's part of his charm so it doesn't matter. I'm more concerned about how horribad his balancing was.

Metal Gear has been off the walls since it started believe it or not.

I guess that's why Snake is so fitting in a sense.

Nothing really fazed him at all.

...Except Wario.

• Thumbs Up 7

Metal Gear has been off the walls since it started believe it or not.

I guess that's why Snake is so fitting in a sense.

Nothing really fazed him at all.

...Except Wario.

He even called Pit a mutant, and not a actual angel.:P

His series is more serious than a lot of the other ones yes, but still pretty wacky at times.

I guess when one puts it that way, he really does fit the theme in retrospect... I guess he's basically just the G.I. Joe of the group. Serious themes but still manages to remain lighthearted in the context of the game. Remember: it's only violent if you shoot them with an actual firearm.

So, I concede defeat on this one gents. You have humbled me. :(

I just hope that the online will be better. Nintendo really fucked up with Brawl's online. It was slow and laggly about 80% of the time. Plus you often got disconnected a lot as well.

Don't forget the lack of features for anonymous play. It's entirely two-minute matches with random items. Sure, one can say you should just play with friends but that's a copout; it should be possible to set up a game as host and alter the rules as you can with just about EVERY other online title. Set the match to several minutes, lives, coins, etc. and enable/disable items at will. There's a massive lack of flexibility with anonymous online play, which is ridiculous since you often get paired with the same people over and over anyway. That's a room, so I see no reason why it can't have custom rules.

The greatest mascot affray aims to fix the one definitive feature that is usually a standout mode with all fighters? Umm..tell that to Brawl.

Remember all the forehead slapping moments we had during Super Smash Bros Brawl’s online functionality? Recall the lag? The shotty connections? You get the point, well gladly this is all being taken more seriously in the next installment in the Smash series. The director himself said so.

The idea of Brawl's 'carefree brawling' motto was to get rid of as many restraints as possible and allow people to choose whatever play approach they liked.” Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai said in his Famitsu column, responding to a reader who expressed frustration over online players that never initiate attacks, nor use items. “I'd like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter is not interesting or fun. That's why I'll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game. We've learned a lot about net play since Brawl was released, after all, so a lot more is possible.”

I’ll take it from there Sakurai, online options to filter fighting styles is a good place to start. Thecommunities aspect in Mario Kart 7 is a great example of this, however, with Smash Bros - needless to say - there needs to be some hefty expansions implemented.

With an option-heavy filter, it creates the perfect opportunity for coexistence between competitive and recreational players. Imagine a refined online system, with match listings like, “pure fighting”, “big-mode only” or “1 smash ball”. Setting up public or friends-only will be a standard affair, I assure you. As far as game mechanic tweaks to streamline fights and bring back the Melee flow of fighting, tripping tops my list for “things Smash 4 needs to scrap”, but don’t go all in on that bet, just cross your fingers.

Regardless of what happens, we can expect something different and magnificent. Even Namco’s co-development should be taken as an fortuitous scenario. At this point, Smash Bros 4’s online will be a godsend compared to Brawl’s offering when it releases in 2018.

Super Smash bros 4 to improve online play 

Edited by Kareemadeem

2018? It's coming out in 2018? Are they fucking mad?

Edited by The Cheese
  • Thumbs Up 1

2018? It's coming out in 2018? Are they fucking mad?

I don't think that was quoted from what Sakurai said, so it's most likely best to take it with a grain of salt. 

I think it's probably a joke poking fun at how long Brawl took to finally release. Granted, the wait felt way longer than it actually was due to the Dojo.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

It didn't stop Zobio & Zobiko of M-rated "House of the Dead" from appearing in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing or Spy, Pyro and Heavy of M-Rated Valve's Team Fortress 2 from appearing in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC version).

2018 is obviously a joke as no one has the intention to reveal the first screenshots for this year while having every intention to release the game five years from now. 

According to this poll, the winner is

Smash Poll 2012 has now officially come and gone. More than 1,000,000 votes were tallied up between the Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Finals and after more 345,000 votes in the Final Showdown alone, America and Europe have made their decision. The winner of Smash Poll 2012 is none other than…

the_skull_kid_by_johnnycago-d3g0a4o-600x

Skull Kid (スタルキッド)

Even though there was only about a 2000 vote difference between Capcom’s classic 8-bit hero Megaman and the maniacal Skull Kid, in the end, the primary antagonist of the Nintendo 64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask bested the blue bomber.

The Nintendo character who I believe is likely to return besides Mario (mascot of Nintendo) and Kirby (sharing the same creator with the Super Smash bros. series) is... 

wolf_wins_by_michaeljlarson-d5n07h4.png

The Big Badass Wolf 

Since they missed out on having a new original title on the Wii, they could at least appear as playable characters if they are not going to have a new original game on the Wii U, although Captain Falcon has also suffered this.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's see...first teaser trailer for SSBB appeared at the E3 2006, so it took approx. 2 years after that for the game to come out. That's not too bad, could've been worse. 2018 is definitely an over-exaggeration, so I think it's going to be the same as before. A trailer this year and then wait till 2015. Still seems long, but I'm sure we can handle that. =P

It didn't stop Zobio & Zobiko of M-rated "House of the Dead" from appearing in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing or Spy, Pyro and Heavy of M-Rated Valve's Team Fortress 2 from appearing in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC version).

To be fair, the games those guys come from are rather light-hearted and makes death into a comedy so I'd hardly say they're "mature" as the ratings would make you think.

House of the Dead EX specifically is the lighter and softer of the series and its about 2 zombies having a relationship while running from other zombies and Team Fortress 2 can be summed as psychotic manchilds killing each constantly while they congratulate you when you die.

So basically the rating system can be some bullshit at times. Never take it for granted.

• Thumbs Up 1

Touché, though really, he still clashes simply by merit of being from an M-rated game. The other series are all still fairly lighthearted. All of them use magic, swords or laser weapons. Snake has an actual pistol, grenade, rocket launcher, mortar... he's obviously got a more mature tone than any of the others.

Though really at this point I guess that's part of his charm so it doesn't matter. I'm more concerned about how horribad his balancing was.

A big discussion point amongst IGN staff, as well as readers, is the balance of characters. Some, like Meta Knight, seem incredibly overpowered compared to others. Sakurai noted in his discussion with Iwata that in the past he has done all of the balancing personally. He plans to involve his staff much more for these future installments.

E3 2011: Early Super Smash Bros Details Revealed

More than Meta Knight?

Zobio and Zobiko aren't from an M-rated game, and the TF2 crew were only really in ASRT because SEGA is aware that the PC audience is older. 

With that said, I don't think Snake clashed with the Smash Brothers cast too much- at least not in a bad way. Him being different didn't have anything to do with the game he came from, but rather that he's a realistically proportioned human surrounded by cartoony, stylized characters. Again though, I liked him in Brawl. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Dragging this up...

I'm a little intrigued as to what they'll do with Link this time around. We currently have three incarnations of his design in use (Skyward Sword, Toon Link and as of today A Link to the Past Link), possibly even four by the time Zelda Wii U is announced. I don't want a ton of alternate character designs clogging up the roster this time around, especially when they play so similar. For me Young Link was pushing it in Melee and Toon Link was taking the piss in Brawl, I'm a little concerned as to what they'll do this time around now we have so many vastly different designs for Link. I'd be more than happy if they were alternate costumes ala Wario with some gameplay changes but no way hozay should they be given full playable character status again.

That said I actually wouldn't mind a playable Paper Mario, if only because he'd be so drastically different to the regular Mario.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sakurai speaks!

It’s been a long time since eccentric game designer Masuhiro Sakurai discussed his first project for Nintendo Wii U, the much-anticipated Super Smash Bros 4. The designer has stayed silent since last summer when he revealed that the game was actually being developed by a crack team of Namco creators responsible for both the Tekken and Tales series, but he offered up a hint about how online play will work in the brawler when it releases.

A reader of Japan’s Famitsu magazine contacted Sakurai to find out how online play in Super Smash Bros 4 would differ from the online fights in Super Smash Bros Brawl on Wii. The reader’s complaint was that when encountering random players online, they would typically engage in a standoff to see who would make the first move. “Nobody ever went on the attack; it was like everyone was taking the approach of waiting for the other guy to take the offensive.”

Sakurai responded in his column that he recognizes the problem. “I’d like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter is not interesting or fun,” said Sakurai, “That’s why I’ll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game. We’ve learned a lot about net play since Brawl was released, after all, so a lot more is possible.”

The designer even said that he would have liked to patch Brawl, but fixing online multiplayer on Nintendo’s technologically archaic Wii platform wasn’t possible. “I suppose the face that we’ve still got no-fee online battles available in a game that was released five years ago is another cause of the problem. It would have been nice if we could have revised the game rules as appropriate, but with the system we had, that wasn’t possible.”

The online play in Super Smash Bros 4 will have another first for the series: Console versus handheld fights. The game is in development for both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, allowing players on both devices to take each other on. As for when the game will actually be out, Sakurai and Nintendo remain mum. Nintendo said during a recent Nintendo Direct presentation that it would show screenshots of the game at E3 2013, which is not encouraging in regards to a speedy release.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/super-smash-bros-4-for-wii-u-will-do-away-with-the-pantywaist-online-fights-of-super-smash-bros-brawl/

The way he's wording it, it sounds like Smash 4 may reward aggro-play. Guess we'll know at E3.

Edited by Joshua

the problem is when people say stuff like that they usually end up fucking it up unless they have some great understanding of mechanics. Games like DOA4 are examples of titles meant to be aggressive that end up being the opposite. 

ohmyfuck I so want Skull Kid for Smash 4.  Maybe even more than Mewtwo.  Everything is SO OBVIOUS!  His moveset can be drawn from the boss fights, the game itself, Skull Kid's other appearances...his Final Smash is practically LAID OUT for you...

Ugh.

It makes me mad that we'll probably just get another shitty Ganon and no Skull Kid...