Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Actually that's a really good point. If there's nothing from Sonic 2013 in it, the fact Colors was on the Wii probably will give it preferential treatment for Smash Bros. Have to keep business in the family, aye?

Because Generations skipped over the Wii. The 3DS version used Tropical Resort instead, so that would be another thing to consider.

Sonic would probably stick with Green Hill as a retro stage if I had a guess.

Fair points all around. I think if they bring Green Hill back they will need to alter it in some manner, though. I'd suggest making it bigger for one. And possibly have Robotnik as a hazard. If they reuse the same exact model for the stage I'm going to be very, very saddened.

"Preferential treatment"? What the hell are you guys talking about? They're not going to cherry pick content just for the sake of the platform it originally came from, lest we forget that Green Hill itself is the first non-port appearance it's ever had on a Nintendo console. Smash Bros is a fanservice game first and foremost, so the most obvious choices are ones which the vast majority of fans can identify with.

And even if it were to come to that you'd sooner see something along the lines of City Escape before Tropical Resort of all things, if only because it marks Sonic's iconic introduction to Nintendo consoles (SA2B) in addition to representing their own platform as a third party.

Fair points all around. I think if they bring Green Hill back they will need to alter it in some manner, though. I'd suggest making it bigger for one. And possibly have Robotnik as a hazard. If they reuse the same exact model for the stage I'm going to be very, very saddened.

A lot of Green Hill's problems stem from the fact it has walk-off edges, so just chop those off and you already have a decent stage on your hands. Not that I'd object to an extra pair of platforms and an occasional wrecking ball hazard.

• Thumbs Up 1

By that logic we really would more likely see Seaside Hill as the stage picked, since Heroes was the first main series game developed for a Nintendo console. City Escape would be alot cooler though.

Personally though I'd like to think that if Sonic were to get another rep, that the stage be one from the other character's debut game (or if it where Eggman, which would be super sweet I might add, it'd be Scrap Brain Zone).

Whatever stage they go for though, I hope we get more music remixes this time around. Angel Island Zone in Brawl was beastly (partly cause its not the most reoccurring tune), but that was all we got. It was actually kinda disappointing really, I woulda liked another level theme or two to have gotten similar treatment...

Well the main reason why there was only the Angel Island remix was because of Sonic being such a late addition.  They didn't have time to remix more tracks.

I'd be fully behind City Escape, naturally. Stand in the middle at the wrong time, get hit by the GUN truck. :P

I assume they'd use the polling method for Generations to decide what non-Green Hill stage was selected, in all likelihood.

I still would like Green Hill to be larger, overall. If they chop off the edges rather than having it be a pit the proper thing to do would be to have them spike pits that cause tons of damage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be fully behind City Escape, naturally. Stand in the middle at the wrong time, get hit by the GUN truck. tongue.png

I assume they'd use the polling method for Generations to decide what non-Green Hill stage was selected, in all likelihood.

I still would like Green Hill to be larger, overall. If they chop off the edges rather than having it be a pit the proper thing to do would be to have them spike pits that cause tons of damage.

Actually yeah CE could be a pretty cool stage.

I selected Tropical Resort as the most likely stage to me due to the popularity of colors, and the creativity and wackiness of the stage itself.(being a theme park ad all) and it's a pretty iconic level. Although if we got something like Eggmanland, like I said before, I would be perfectly fine with that.

While City Escape is a favorite among SA2 fans, nothing about it really screams Sonic, at least not when you're tearing through it. Anyone who doesn't know about the franchise is just gonna think it's San Francisco. If Sonic were in the next game I'd rather his stage be something more iconic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a great Sonic Stage for ssb4 could be the Egg Carrier's main deck from Adventure. I could easily imagine a pretty dynamic backdrop fron its ascension from the Mystic Ruins, to trips into a storming sky with the Tornado on the attack, and eventually a confrontation with Perfect Chaos that leaves the fighters stranded atop of rooftops at the monster's mercy (until another Egg Carrier swoops in and carries them out of harm and as the monster is smited by a heavenly light the sequence kinda loops). You could even add Zero or Beta as stage hazards and even work in the Carrier's transformation abilities to alter the stage's layout on occasion, and maybe even give some characters brief cameos here or there.

• Thumbs Up 1

No. We're getting Green Hill and we will like it.

If Sonic is in again I hope they at the very least move on from Green Hill and make Emerald Hill his stage. It's obvious we're gonna get a 'Hill' as his level but please not Green Hill Zone or Seaside Hill. Oh my fucking god please not Seaside Hill

• Thumbs Up 3

I say Metropolis. The stage could be a platform moving around the entire zone. One area could have rising lava, another could have those large, moving cogs, and a third could have everyone's favorite badniks ruin the battle for everyone by spamming their attacks everywhere. For the evulz. laugh.png

I want Angel Island if we get Sonic again, but I'd honestly rather just have more Nintendo characters.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't (a) Green Hill (clone) or Death Egg.  They're the Sonic levels that absolutely everyone knows.

• 1 month later...

So apparently we're suppose to be seeing pictures of Smash 4 at E3?

Iwata told us that Smash 4 is getting the official announcement at E3 this year

No. We're getting Green Hill and we will like it.

If Sonic is in again I hope they at the very least move on from Green Hill and make Emerald Hill his stage. It's obvious we're gonna get a 'Hill' as his level but please not Green Hill Zone or Seaside Hill. Oh my fucking god please not Seaside Hill

..Emerald Hill is just Green Hill with everything interesting stripped out of it. It also has worse music. XP

Seaside Hill is honestly more interesting than both if you ask me. Not that I'd want it. Sky Sanctuary please.

Anyway, Sonic isn't even what I care about at the moment as far as Smash is concerned. I just wanna see something gameplay related.

Edited by Chooch

Planet Wisp seems like a good candidate. Iconic stage in a well-received Sonic game on a Nintendo platform, the nature versus machine motif sums up Sonic pretty well, and the scenery is excellent.

• Thumbs Up 5

..Emerald Hill is just Green Hill with everything interesting stripped out of it. It also has worse music. XP

Now, that's not true at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know everyone expects a trailer but since Iwata said "screenshots" I ain't too sure. At least a teaser trailer, but perhaps not anythin substantial, more like Bayonetta 2's teaser trailer.

As for Sonic, I'd be ok with Planet Wisp too, advertise the new Sonic a little more positively. Could be that they'd already be working on Lost World references, but since Brawl had nothing to do with Mario Galaxy in it I'm not sure about that.

Really most stages from Colors seem like great choices. At least to me. Unleashed I could only really see Eggmanland being a choice there.

For Mario, I really hope something from the Galaxy games gets represented as well as Bowsers castle!:<

Edited by Gonard

I'd rather see a level from the 2D games. It's more exciting to see them redone.

I know everyone expects a trailer but since Iwata said "screenshots" I ain't too sure. At least a teaser trailer, but perhaps not anythin substantial, more like Bayonetta 2's teaser trailer.

As for Sonic, I'd be ok with Planet Wisp too, advertise the new Sonic a little more positively. Could be that they'd already be working on Lost World references, but since Brawl had nothing to do with Mario Galaxy in it I'm not sure about that.

I don't think he said screenshots. I think he just said we'd see it at E3.

Edited by MarcelloF

Now, that's not true at all.

Opinions~! I'm not really fond of Super Bright Straight Line Zone.

Planet Wisp might be an okay choice but I'd honestly be fine with a less shit Green Hill or even a well done Seaside Hill. Ideally I'd want something straight from Sonic Lost World. They have the time and the resources to do it.

Am I the only person wondering what the hell Star Fox is going to look like in this game? His look in Brawl was heavily based off of his design in Command which is why he was so ugly and not sexy. There hasn't been a proper Star Fox entry made since then outside of the remake of 64.

Will they just go the Melee route and redo his 64 look in HD or will they do something else?

Edited by Chooch

Ahh actually he said screens not screenshots, but I was close enough!

I guess. Still, I can't seem them just showing screens. But we'll see, it's not that far away.

Opinions~! I'm not really fond of Super Bright Straight Line Zone.

Planet Wisp might be an okay choice but I'd honestly be fine with a less shit Green Hill or even a well done Seaside Hill. Ideally I'd want something straight from Sonic Lost World. They have the time and the resources to do it.

Am I the only person wondering what the hell Star Fox is going to look like in this game? His look in Brawl was heavily based off of his design in Command which is why he was so ugly and not sexy. There hasn't been a proper Star Fox entry made since then outside of the remake of 64.

Will they just go the Melee route and redo his 64 look in HD or will they do something else?

I was talking about the music.

I assume we'll be getting the 64 design for Fox, unless there's a new game coming.

Edited by MarcelloF