Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

It does, haha. NeoGAF is full of Smash rumours atm, another one I heard from 4chan suggested uh, Palutena, Tharja, Shulk and Pac Man. Much like Smash Bros, there will be so many rumours and "leaks" that it'll be impossible to tell which are true until the game's actually out!

EDIT: Personally against the idea of Bayonetta, if only because it's showing too much SEGA favoritism, unless she's credited as a Platinum character rather than a SEGA one.

Edited by SuperLink

On the Single Player side of things, I'd rather they have a short Adventure Mode similar to Super Smash Bros Melee, rather than the one they've created in Brawl. I felt the Subspace Emissary became extremely bland pretty quickly and The Great Maze in the end was just lazy and didn't make things any better.

As with previous games I also hope for Classic Mode and Event Matches return, which probably will

As for characters, maybe it's time for a Golden Sun character to be included in the roster.

Bayonetta, eh, not so much. I'm not sure what third party characters we can expect besides Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pacman of course! Klonoa would be pretty cool too but Namco doesn't love him. D:

On the Fire Emblem side, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Chrom and of course Marth. But considering how popular Tharja is, she could take Chrom's place.

Smash Bros. will always go for the protagonist of a game first for representing it. The protagonist is in most of the art, his or her name is mentioned repeatedly in commercials and articles for it, he or she is someone that the regular consumers will instantly recognize if they are aware of the product. It will be a cold day in hell before Tharja gets in Smash before Chrom.

As far as FE representation as a whole for SSB4 goes, Ike's getting the boot. He's been irrelevant for 6 years now, there's been 3 FE games since his/Micaiah's, no need to keep him around if his games aren't really marketable. Chrom will definitely be taking his place. Marth was the first lord, he's around for nostalgia's sake and to hang around with the Ice Climber/Pit retro crowd, in a way, though I will not be surprised if an alternate costume of him wearing a face mask is available, to represent Lucina. Those two may be it for FE, though I will be very happy if they make My Unit playable as well with moveset with sword attacks and magic.

Edited by Joshua

Another reason why Bayonetta is highly unlikely:

When she uses her hair powers, she's butt-naked. Smash Bros tries to include the whole family, sooooo...

And don't think Snake was an exception to this rule with his weapons and CQC, lots of kids played MGS1 as well as grown ups, so it was fandom on both sides.

• Thumbs Up 1

Smash Bros. will always go for the protagonist of a game first for representing it. The protagonist is in most of the art, his or her name is mentioned repeatedly in commercials and articles for it, he or she is someone that the regular consumers will instantly recognize if they are aware of the product. It will be a cold day in hell before Tharja gets in Smash before Chrom.

Somewhat unfortunate considering Chrom is so similar to Ike or Marth, would be nice to get some FE characters of varation.

As far as FE representation as a whole for SSB4 goes, Ike's getting the boot. He's been irrelevant for 6 years now, there's been 3 FE games since his/Micaiah's, no need to keep him around if his games aren't really marketable. Chrom will definitely be taking his place. Marth was the first lord, he's around for nostalgia's sake and to hang around with the Ice Climber/Pit retro crowd, in a way, though I will not be surprised if an alternate costume of him wearing a face mask is available, to represent Lucina. Those two may be it for FE, though I will be very happy if they make My Unit playable as well with moveset with sword attacks and magic.

When has relevancy ever been important for Smash Bros? It's got Ice Climber, Game & Watch, Jigglypuff, ROB, etc. It's about Nintendo's history, and Ike may be important to some. I'm not saying he's a surefire return.. but he's not exactly gonna get booted consciously, I reckon if he doesn't make it back it'll be more due to time constraints (like the reason Roy and Mewtwo weren't in Brawl)

I realise Chrom is probably the most likely new FE character, but like I said before I'd really like a new FE character who perhaps isn't a Lord. Also assuming Marth is returning, having a Lucina alt costume or voice set would be really cool just because it's an easy way to have someone who's technically a different character in without using up another character slot (I still think they should do this for Daisy and Toon Link/Young Link also.)

Also Mog is right about Bayonetta.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pacman of course! Klonoa would be pretty cool too but Namco doesn't love him. D:

On the Fire Emblem side, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Chrom and of course Marth. But considering how popular Tharja is, she could take Chrom's place.

Agreed there!! Id so love to have Klonoa there, but sadly its true . Its like Namco doesnt even care about him at all.

I hope waluigi gets upgraded from assist trophy to playable characters. I do want him to rep the spinoffs by having attacks based of them(golf club attacks, tennis racket attacks, dice bombs, kicks, etc...)

• Thumbs Up 2

Having an actual character as an alt costume wouldn't feel right in my opinion.  Lucina is not Marth, therefore if she was in the game she should be her own character (although to be perfectly honest I'd prefer almost any female FE major character over her.  Not that I dislike Lucina, just I think she would be an uninteresting character in Smash).  In essence it's expressing misinformation.  Kinda like clones except in a sense to a greater degree since the character is exactly the same.  One could argue that it's relevant for Lucina because of she is presented in Awakening but even then for an alt of Marth I'd rather just see another incarnation of Marth (i.e. if the Awakening Marth is the main costume for Marth, they could go for the more classic Marth, or Shadow Dragon Marth etc).  It would be alright for say, Dr Mario because Dr Mario IS Mario.  Also, Toon Link/Young Link also wouldn't work well.  Different anatomies and as a result slightly different hitbox placements.  It would affect the characters on a more intricate level.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, so maybe Mewtwo might make a return in Smash 4? Gen6 is making him relevant again so I'd be surprised if he didn't show up. I can see his X/Y form being either a Final Smash ability or a Down+B move assuming that Nintendo revamps character movesets.

I hope that K. Rool is in the new Smash Bros. It's about time that the Kremlings get some more attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mewtwo being back would automatically justify my purchase of a Wii U and a copy of Smash 4

I'm not kidding.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think Mewtwo will come back, he's the most requested "missing" character after all, his moveset was the only unique one that didn't come back for Brawl (let's be honest, Lucario really wasn't that similar)

Having an actual character as an alt costume wouldn't feel right in my opinion.  Lucina is not Marth, therefore if she was in the game she should be her own character (although to be perfectly honest I'd prefer almost any female FE major character over her.  Not that I dislike Lucina, just I think she would be an uninteresting character in Smash).  In essence it's expressing misinformation.  Kinda like clones except in a sense to a greater degree since the character is exactly the same.  One could argue that it's relevant for Lucina because of she is presented in Awakening but even then for an alt of Marth I'd rather just see another incarnation of Marth (i.e. if the Awakening Marth is the main costume for Marth, they could go for the more classic Marth, or Shadow Dragon Marth etc).  It would be alright for say, Dr Mario because Dr Mario IS Mario.  Also, Toon Link/Young Link also wouldn't work well.  Different anatomies and as a result slightly different hitbox placements.  It would affect the characters on a more intricate level.

I'd contest this.. because I think it'd allow more character inclusions that otherwise wouldn't get in. It'd even be possible to change the character's name and their corresponding voice clips to a costume.

For example, Mario's Doctor Mario costume would have "this game's winner is Doctor Mario!" and since Peach already has a Daisy costume, why not take it further and make Daisy an alt. character for Peach? I don't see the problem with those kinds of characters at least, and I don't think there's much reason for Young Link and Toon link to have different hitboxes either. That's just me though, I love Young Link and Daisy but I don't think they should have their own character slots when another character with a new moveset could be made instead. Not to mention there are many fighting games out there where characters get "skins" based on entirely different characters, why would bit be much harder for Smash?

Incidentally if Lucina had a Marth alt, she wouldn't be a separate character so it's not like she'd be wasting a slot or anything. If they used alt. costumes for really similar characters it would be a really great way to get in more favourites without having to make more movesets or wasting character slots on "clones".

imo anyway. I'd absolutely love to see this happen

Having an actual character as an alt costume wouldn't feel right in my opinion.

The way I see it, if the character's close enough for it to work (Peach and Daisy, for example), and they otherwise wouldn't be in at all, I'll take them as a costume. There's obviously practical limits to how many independent characters it'll have so not everyone can get in with a unique moveset, and if I've got the choice I'll gladly take something over nothing.
  • Thumbs Up 8

The way I see it, if the character's close enough for it to work (Peach and Daisy, for example), and they otherwise wouldn't be in at all, I'll take them as a costume. There's obviously practical limits to how many independent characters it'll have so not everyone can get in with a unique moveset, and if I've got the choice I'll gladly take something over nothing.

Yeah exactly. There's not much reason to believe Daisy would get in with her own slot, and many characters that are "too similar" like Dark Link or maybe Dark Samus, no harm in chuckin them in as an alt. costume so their fans can enjoy playing as them anyway.

(Daisy's fuckin' awesome man

Hi I'm Daisy

I'd spam that taunt all fuckin' day)

Edited by SuperLink

Dark Samus actually has enough differences to Samus to be a real character.

But having Dark Samus as a boss is more likely. Though I'd love to see more Metroid representation.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd like to see more Metroid rep too actually.

Tbh, forgetting the game she's from for a moment, "MB" was a pretty cool character concept with some cool powers, she might be a decent addition for a Metroid character.

Edited by SuperLink

Dark Samus actually has enough differences to Samus to be a real character.

But having Dark Samus as a boss is more likely. Though I'd love to see more Metroid representation.

This, but you know she'd be a clone if she was in.

KRAID FOR SSB4

• Thumbs Up 1

Kraid be way too big. He also has... what, 2 moves? He'd probably be more suited as a boss.

Speaking of things Nintendo forgot exists, I really want better Custom Robo rep. Ray MK III was a really shitty Assist trophy and entirely forgettable.

Kraid be way too big. He also has... what, 2 moves? He'd probably be more suited as a boss.

I hope you realize I was joking. :V

But in all seriousness...Phantoon for SSB4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah exactly. There's not much reason to believe Daisy would get in with her own slot, and many characters that are "too similar" like Dark Link or maybe Dark Samus, no harm in chuckin them in as an alt. costume so their fans can enjoy playing as them anyway.

(Daisy's fuckin' awesome man

Hi I'm Daisy

I'd spam that taunt all fuckin' day)

I guess I can see what you guys mean.  Though personally I'm the kind of guy that would want a character to get a proper representation of who they are.  Kind of like a "do it properly or not at all" kind of deal (heck even in a professional sense that makes a little more sense to me personally).  I dunno just to me it seems kind of 'tacky' just putting a different character in as an alternate costume over say, something that actually celebrates the history of the character themselves.

Kraid be way too big. He also has... what, 2 moves?

How many moves did Captain Falcon have...?
  • Thumbs Up 1

1. car

2. ...

and it wasn't even a move until the third game :V

• Thumbs Up 4

None? All of his moves are made up. Kraid actually has a moveset.

Sheik had only one notable technique, her Vanishing technique. And Nintendo implemented that move, and then made an entire ninja-based moveset and attributes to go with it.

Kraid (I'd prefer NES Kraid, but w/e) could go some the same route, should Nintendo decide to do so.