Awoo.

Dimps

thatguyfrom03

So what? I loved it. I'm not going to hate on a developer because OTHERS disliked it.

You should however recognise that some of the criticisms, regardless of what you think of the game. Many of the inaccuracies to the classic games they were trying to imitate and the quality of the graphics were inexcusable. Whether or not they make you think differently of the developer is another matter, just so long as you aren't mistaking a zircon for the Hope Diamond.

From my understanding, Sonic Team USA was mostly folded back into Sonic Team proper. In facetious man's terms, the current team is a combination of people who worked on Sonic 06 and people who worked on Shadow the Hedgehog.

How about SS China? What involvement did they exactly have in the recent Sonic games?

You should however recognise that some of the criticisms, regardless of what you think of the game. Many of the inaccuracies to the classic games they were trying to imitate and the quality of the graphics were inexcusable. Whether or not they make you think differently of the developer is another matter, just so long as you aren't mistaking a zircon for the Hope Diamond.

But I wasn't even talking about Sonic 4, I just said I didn't dislike it. And the graphics weren't bad.

I was talking about Gen3D having momentum, that's the ONLY thing I brought up.

I'm kind of sick of all this Dimps hate. It seemed that no one had any problems with them till they did Sonic 4 Epidode 1. That's when all the Dimps bashing started.

They have done some good Sonic games and some not so good Sonic games. But I think that the amount of bashing that they get is unfair.

It's in a way, not "unfair", because Sonic 4: Episode One was an extremely over-hyped game to be the "sequel" of Genesis classic and commonly considered Sonic game masterpiece, Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

That led many to become disappointed by its physics.

Sonic 4 was indeed pictured as an "important" game, where SEGA put Dimps responsible for development, which turned out to be unsatisfactory.

Now, Generations 3DS is being developed by Dimps. This is even worse, as Sonic Generations is the biggest game since SA2, and SEGA wanted everyone to play Sonic's new game, even in handhelds. And again, Dimps dun goof'd with an important game for the second time.

Don't forget Sonic Unwiished. that was pretty crappy, too.

Edited by Tatsumaki

But I wasn't even talking about Sonic 4, I just said I didn't dislike it. And the graphics weren't bad.

I was talking about Gen3D having momentum, that's the ONLY thing I brought up.

I know, I know. I'm just saying look at it from all angles and consider the quality of their games not just whether you enjoy them. For example I really enjoy the Rushes and CDS, but the production values for all three of those titles are low, and even lower with S4. And because food analogies are the cool thing, I've got one for this situation. A burger from a van may well be enjoyable, but you know it's not actually very good and you're going to be especially ticked off if others are eating a gourmet steak.

And spoilered cause it's for a different topic really...

The quality of the graphics in S4 is poor though. The last thing you expect form a 2D game in 2011 is textures with multiple light sources that don't tile properly.

I'd actually prefer a Hamburger even if others are eating steak, because I don't agree with that argument. The only really important part of a game is how fun one individual have with it, if I had more fun with Sonic 4 than say... Sonic 3, I'd say it's a better game regardless of if the development was cheap and the game was glitchy. And yes, the light sources are annoying, but the models and graphical style on its own are nice.

The problem with Sonic 4: Episode 1 is simple:

It shouldn't have been named Sonic 4. :lol:

By doing so, a lot of people had high expectations that Classic Sonic elements were back and were here to stay. A lot of people thought this was going to kick New Super Mario Bros. Wii's ass. Well, I at least thought so. :P

Edited by Tatsumaki

By doing so, a lot of people had high expectations that Classic Sonic elements were back and were here to stay. A lot of people thought this was going to kick New Super Mario Bros. Wii's ass. Well, I at least thought so. :P

Maybe they should have said "New Sonic The Hedgehog: Episode I" instead. :P

Edited by Tobbii
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Maybe they should have said "New Sonic The Hedgehog: Episode I" instead. :P

True dat. :P

They should've stuck with it's original name, "Sonic DL". Even so however, they still wouldn't have gotten away with the instant deceleration problems.

Also here's my basic view on Dimps' games:

Sonic Pocket Adventure was magnificent, albeit rehash mania.

Sonic Advance was fantastic, and at worst was very good.

Sonic Advance 2 was pretty good, but got stale quick.

Sonic Advance 3 was absolutely horrible, and I mean absolutely horrible.

Sonic Rush was decent but also got stale quick.

Sonic Rush Adventure was good but wasn't anything special.

Sonic Unleashed Wii was quite bad.

Sonic Colors DS was quite decent, but also nothing special.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was kind of inbetween "meh" and "quite bad", and also rehash mania.

Sonic Generations 3DS takes the worst of Rush and S4 and slapdashes it together, THEN adds rehash mania.

I think I like it better when they're left to fighting games.

Edited by Azukara

To be completely honest, the game wrote a check that it never intended to cash the second the initial trailer got outsourced to a company that knew nothing of the end result. (not that said company did a poor job – quite the opposite actually) While we were hyped up for some fantastical adventure 100% in the spirit of the classic’s, we got a different game. This is one of those rare instances where different = bad and the whole game is a slap in the face of our expectations.

Okay, I've written a letter that displays this whole reaction, and if it's iffy, you can add revisions. I'll translate! :D

ソニック・ジェネレーションズ:青の冒険いついて:

About Sonic Generations (3DS):

なぜソニジェンの青版の原作チームがDIMPSになっていましたですかい? 米国とヨッロパのソニックファンがこの決定したことが大嫌いです。 そのファンたちの意見は、 「現在のDIMPSから発生したソニック食品はゴミのような存在だ!」のようなリーアックションです。 ソニックチームは3DSゲームのデヴェロップできることがありますかい? Wiiで登場したカラーズがすごっくかっこよかっても、 そして3DSの能力はゲームキューブと同じそうです。なぜカラーズのスタイルなゲームはデヴェロップしっていませんですかい? ゲーム雑誌からレビユーとファンから発生したリアックションが変わったです。 たとえば、 ソニック4はアメリカのゲーム記者のリーアックションがいいになっても、 古いソニックゲームのファンがこのゲームの生で悪かったです。 DIMPSからモダーンソニックゲームのような物理学とスピードが一つから多いなせいでした。 昔、 ソニックアドバンスとソニックラッシュはいいでも、 なせソニックジェネレーションズ青版は、 3Dソニックゲームのレベルのようなデヴェロップつもりがないですか?

Why is it that Gen3D is developed by DIMPS, huh? The American and European Sonic fans have completely rejected this decision. Their opinion pretty much equates to this: anything created by DIMPS that’s related to Sonic is garbage these days. Can’t Sonic Team develop 3DS games on their own? I mean, Colors was great for the Wii, why can’t they do the same on a handheld whose specs resembles that of a Gamecube? The opinions of game reviewers and fan reactions are incredibly different. For example, Sonic 4 was loved by many American game reviewers, but classic fanboys (at least the intelligent ones) were angered. DIMPS utilized the Modern Sonic physics and speed was just one of the many reasons why. Even if Sonic Advance/Sonic N and the first Rush title were good before, why is it that Sonic Generations (the blue version in Japan) isn’t developed in the style of Colors, which the 3DS can handle?

以上です。* 青版の嫌さ、 白版の好きさ、 さあ、 始めよう!

And I am done. Commence the fan ranting for this version, while the others love and adore HD.

心配したフィリピン人のソニックファン

A Concerned Filipino Sonic Fan

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 6

Surely that's not actually serious? You can't fill a letter with insults and flat out moaning like that and expect it to be taken seriously.

Surely that's not actually serious? You can't fill a letter with insults and flat out moaning like that and expect it to be taken seriously.

To be completely honest, the game wrote a check that it never intended to cash the second the initial trailer got outsourced to a company that knew nothing of the end result. (not that said company did a poor job – quite the opposite actually) While we were hyped up for some fantastical adventure 100% in the spirit of the classic’s, we got a different game. This is one of those rare instances where different = bad and the whole game is a slap in the face of our expectations.

It also didn't help that they kept telling us that it was going to be like the initial trailer promised all the way up to the PartnerNET leak.

And when the PartnerNET leak happened and everyone was going apeshit, they had the balls to tell us the same thing a couple more times.

Edited by Tornado

My Opinion on Dimps:

Sonic Pocket Adventure was meh

Sonic Advance was meh

Sonic Advance 2 was meh

Sonic Advance 3 was meh

Sonic Rush was meh

Sonic Rush Adventure was good

Sonic Unleashed Wii was meh

Sonic Colors DS was meh

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was meh

Sonic Generations 3DS looks meh

• Bad Quality Post 2

It also didn't help that they kept telling us that it was going to be like the initial trailer promised all the way up to the PartnerNET leak.

And when the PartnerNET leak happened and everyone was going apeshit, they had the balls to tell us the same thing a couple more times.

You don't shoot down good press. From the time it was revealed to the time people started picking apart the extended videos, Sonic 4 was the holy grail of the fanbase. (Ironically, when you look at Color's hype over the same time span, it worked its way from the bottom up)

Right, fuck you.

I gotta agree with Tobbii on this one (minus the hostile language of course).

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I gotta agree with Tobbii on this one (minus the hostile language of course).

I wouldn't normally use it against a user, but outright calling me unintelligent for not hating a game called for it.

First of all, a letter is pointless in the first place. If there was ever a time when our criticisms were reaching Sonic Team and SEGA, it's now. And even if it wasn't a letter like this would be ignored. So yeah, this is just general advice.

For example, Sonic 4 was loved by many American game reviewers, but classic fanboys (at least the intelligent ones) were angered.

Seriously, that's laughable. And as Tobii clearly demonstrates, that's not going to fly. You think any company would take that seriously? It annoys the fanbase, yet alone the company. Try something less rude, more constructive and without quips that don't matter. You're making a request to someone you don't know who going to be extremely busy. You've got to keep the the subject and be polite.

Despite Sonic 4 Episode 1 being fairly well received by members of press and the gaming community in general, it actually disappointed many of the more dedicated fans. We felt that not only did it not live up to it's predecessors but also fell very short of the what we had been told to expect by brand managers and the community management team. This isn't to say that Sonic 4 Episode 1 was a bad game at all, merely that it fell short of short of expectations in many areas.

See the difference? And I'm terrible at this sort of thing so somebody else would be able to write it much better in no time at all. But don't ask them to, and don't bother finishing the letter yourself. Like I said before, waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, the reason that I haven't bought Sonic 4 was the huge backlash that it recieved on this board. Guys like Tornado, whose opinion I respect, had a field day with this game. Everything seemed valid and that game was not worth 10 dollars and I,who was always paranoid about buying shit on pSN before it became a neccessary precaution, refused to put myself out there for a game that was ultimately mediocre. The only Dimps games that I've played were Advance 1,2,3, Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure. So I have apathetic view of the company in regard to Sonic games, but from what I've seen out of Sonic 4 and it having the same problems as the aforementioned Sonic games with physica and level design....yeah, either they should care a little bit more or stop making them.

I am really surprised that Tornado hasn't gone off on just how horrible Advance 2 and 3 were. :rolleyes:

Sonic 4 was $15.

I am really surprised that Tornado hasn't gone off on just how horrible Advance 2 and 3 were. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I've written a letter that displays this whole reaction, and if it's iffy, you can add revisions. I'll translate! :D

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 4 was $15.

There was a small Sega Christmas sale last year that put a huge discount on Sega games on PSN. This was the time that I was seriously considering buying it. Anyways, you just reaffirmed and cemented my reason why I didn't purchase it. An extra $5 of rage was not worth the purchase of the game.

Edited by turbojet