Awoo.

Dimps

thatguyfrom03

Do yourself a favour. Remove everything which is along the following lines.

"The American and European Sonic fans have completely rejected this decision"

• Thumbs Up 3

An extra $5 of rage was not worth the purchase of the game.

Depends on how you weigh the value of that money. Rather than putting a dollar sign on the extra rage, you could try to put a dollar sign on the fun you can get out of the game, such as speed running a select few favorites.

Either way you will get more value out of it than spending $15 to see a movie or something.

I don't know whats happened to Dimps over time. Did they get new employee's and teams working on the latest games? The Advance games were fun and I thoroughly enjoyed them, I even enjoyed Sonic Battle. Sonic Advance 1 was probably the closest Modern Sonic game to the Classics. That would've been the perfect game to use as a base for Sonic 4. The games as of late though have been encountering a lot of glitches, bugs, bad physics, and seem very uninspired and quickly thrown together like trash. I liked both Rush games but even they showed signs of the problems we are having now.

Sonic 4, Unwiished and now Sonic Generations 3DS are all examples of thrown together, uninspired games with a lot of bad physics and graphics. Did Dimps simply stop caring? Sonic and Mario At The Olympic Games on 3DS has better graphics than the Generations game does. There's no excuse for being lazy and just throwing things together. Seeing how bad the Generations game looks has made me lose hope for an improved Sonic 4 Episode 2. I actually liked Sonic 4 Episode 1 mind you, but yeah it has its vast majority of problems.

It seems Dimps aren't listening to the many complaints or simply don't care anymore which makes me sad. I still have faith in them to step up their game and improve, I don't hate them. They did after all create some good and fun games during Sonic's dark ages that helped him greatly. I just really hope Dimps gets their shit together and if not Sega will wise up and find another company who can do a better job. Just because its a port on an inferior game device does not mean it has to look and play crappier too.

• 1 month later...

I love the Dimps Sonic games for the most part. I think the Dimps hate is absolutely absurd, and most games they come out with are great. I haven't played Advance 2 so I can't comment on that, but aside from that all the handheld games apart from Sonic Advance 3 were great games. Sonic Advance 1 basically played like the classics, only with way worse level design. Still, it was consistently fun throughout and a great game on its own merits. Sonic Advance 3 on the other hand sucked balls imo. The level design was atrocious. Over the years I've seen some Sonic games get put down for cheap deaths. Most of the time that just isn't true and it's just people blaming the game for them sucking. With Sonic Advance 3 though, if someone says the game sucks because of how many cheap deaths there are, you'll get no argument from me. Plus the jump felt WAY too light. I swear it felt like I was jumping with Super Sonic in Advance 3. Nowhere near tight enough and it was very easy to miss a jump because of that.

But then Dimps made Sonic Rush for the DS. Sweet jesus! Now THAT is how it's done Dimps! I was amazed when I played Rush. It was insanely fun, fast, original and unique. The boost and trick system brought a whole new way to play Sonic and it just ruled. Really fun levels, good level design and amazing replay value. Sonic Rush was the first Sonic game where I actually wanted to replay the levels to increase my rank. Prior to Rush, I felt the 3D Sonic games scoring and rank systems were pretty crappy and never found them fun to try and increase my rank. Also, Sonic Rush had absolutely fantastic boss fights. To this day, Sonic Rush still has the best boss fights in the series imo. Plus the special stage is one of the best in the series.

Rush Adventure was a solid advancement on that formula and is arguably an even better game. Just like the first Rush, I played it to death and S ranked every stage. The levels were great, the boss fights were great and all the little touch screen games were fun. I think the special stages in the first Rush were a lot better though. Rush Adventure was also great because it had a lot more content than the first Rush thanks to all the hidden island levels and fun missions. I'm not sure which I prefer more, but nevertheless Rush Adventure was an awesome game.

The DS version of Colours was also great and could be seen as Rush 3. It was good....but it lacked the magic of the first two Rush games. It just felt like a bit of a cash in to go alongside the Wii version. The level design was good and the colour powers made it really fun. It was definitely a great game. I din't quite get that Rush feeling though.

Ok, well those are the good ones. Yes, the Wii version of Unleashed sucked. It was a lazy game just made to go alongside the HD versions. Little effort was put it and the game sucked.

Sonic 4 episode 1. Well, at the very least I can say it was enjoyable and definitely a way better game than Sonic Advance 3. No, it didn't deserve the name and yes it's an embarassment compared to the classics. It felt very lazy and was little more than a cheap downloadable game that cashed in on the Sonic 4 name.

But still, do these two lazy cash in efforts make Dimps bad? All the Rush games were awesome. Advance 1 was good. People seem to like Advance 2 as well, although I've never played it. Dimps make fantastic Sonic games. In fact over the years, Dimps were far more consistent than Sonic Team. In a time where ST came out with games like SA2, Heroes, 06 and Secret Rings, Dimps came out with great games like Sonic Advance, Rush and Rush Adventure. Most Dimps Sonic games have been good. Scratch that. Most have been great. The we look at Sonic Team. How many great Sonic games have Sonic Team made in that time? Colours.....yeah that's about it. Yeah various ST games have had great gameplay in there, but its also been overshadowed by stupid design choices.

Dimps have shown quality over the years and it's hardly fair for Dimps to get all this criticism based on a couple cheap cash in games they made. Maybe Generations 3DS doesn't look that great. Again, it's just a cash in to go alongside the HD versions. When Dimps come out with their next proper original handheld Sonic game, I have no doubt it will great just like the Rush games. Whether that's on the Vita or 3DS I'm sure it will be great.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Dimps was doing great for a very long time. In fact, I remember the cries of joy in 2008 when they were revealed to be working on Unwiished (oh the times, they are a-changin' :rolleyes: ).

Anyhow, the Advance games were all very fun to me. Sonic Advance 1 felt like a legit sequel to Sonic 3 in nearly everyway, while Advance 2 was probably the fastest 2D platformer in existance at the time. People praised both games, but did complain about the lack of platforming in Advance 2. As a result, 3 was a happy medium between the 2, with intuitive team-based mechanics to boot. Sonic Battle was also pretty cool.

Anyhow, the Advance games were all very fun to me. Sonic Advance 1 felt like a legit sequel to Sonic 3 in nearly everyway, while Advance 2 was probably the fastest 2D platformer in existance at the time. People praised both games, but did complain about the lack of platforming in Advance 2. As a result, 3 was a happy medium between the 2, with intuitive team-based mechanics to boot. Sonic Battle was also pretty cool.

That was made by Sonic Team, strangely. It's wierd that they outsourced the Plattformers but made the Brawler themself. There have been rumors that it was originally not a Sonic game,but a standalone isometric brawler and just had Emeral The Robot as the Main Character, but then they were forced to make it a Sonic game. I guess that just falls more into the line that Sonic Team doesn't want to make Sonic games.

Anyway I have may been a bit harsh on Dimpses games before...outside of Advance 3 the games have been pretty good. But not great.

The Advance and Rush games that they made were like glimmers of sunshine in a dark abyss. I believe that the E3 showcase version of Generations was a pretty early build, seeing as Ruby Eclipse promised that it'd get much better (well right before he retired), hopefully they'll try to use physics from Advance for Classic instead of Sonic 4. Plus expand the levels a bit more.

Uhh...have you seen gameplay for it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kYnAm_2mpY

Awful graphics and INCREDIBLY bland level design.

Literally the exact same level from the Genesis game, but with Sonic 4 physics.

Pretty safe to assume that it's not gonna be that great, if you ask me...

Nice framerate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh come on! The game hasn't been released yet!

You don't need to play a game to tell that the framerate, level design, and physics are horrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really appreciate what Dimps has done for the Sonic franchise. But it all goes back to The Dark Night

And sad to say Dimps has definitely become the Villain.

It was the development team we deserved in 2005 onwards, but not the one we need right now. B)

Sonic Team has since "endured" during those times. They'll hate Dimps for it, but they can be the outcause. Sega will have to make the choice that know one else can make. The right choice.

batman_photos_caine.jpg

Edit: on a side note, I liked Sonic Advance 2 and 3. I thought they were pretty alright, so I don't see how those can be as disregarded. I lost interest in their efforts come Sonic 4 and onwards. What happened dimps, what happened?

Edited by the blu blur
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It was the development team we deserved in 2005 onwards, but not the one we need right now. B)

Sonic Team has since "endured" during those times. They'll hate Dimps for it, but they can be the outcause. Sega will have to make the choice that know one else can make. The right choice.

batman_photos_caine.jpg

Edit: on a side note, I liked Sonic Advance 2 and 3. I thought they were pretty alright, so I don't see how those can be as disregarded. I lost interest in their efforts come Sonic 4 and onwards. What happened dimps, what happened?

Joker.gif

This thread needed a better class of post, and you gave it to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only recently fallen out of love with Dimps. I think they're great when they're doing their own thing and not trying to re-create the classics (eg Sonic 4). The Sonic Advance series was the best 2D Sonic series I could have asked for and the Rush games have been consistantly fun. Colours was a bit short on content, but it was still fun none-the-less and the colour powers went a long way to refresh the gameplay. Dimps shouldn't try and be Sonic Team (or be forced to be Sonic Team) because they're obviously not good at it. Generations could be great, but they really need to sort out classic Sonic's weight because he drops like a tonne of bricks.

It's a shame really since I love Advance, Rush, SPA and some of the level ideas for Advances 2 and 3, but I'm finding it hard to love Dimps at the moment. Sonic 4 and Colours DS both disappointed, and Sonic Generations 3DS looks frankly like a disastrous use of the console.

And yet, they could have had their hands in a winner if they just got a bit of freedom. These days, they're just getting told to crank out multiplatform versions of games and really shallow ideas ("the best bits of Sonic 1 and 2 on the Rush engine), but we've seen they have the capability to be good. Imagine all the best features of Sonic Pocket Adventure (ripoff though it may be) and Sonic Advance, with a level list twice as long to rival S3K, and features like Super Sonic. That kind of game would be a winner for me.

They proved they had the capability to make good games years ago. Now it's just a matter of whether that skill is still there or if those developers have since left Dimps.

Good to see some people who aren't like "Once again, Dimps fails to get the physics right" or "Not Dimps again, they can't make Sonic Games"

People forgot about the Sonic Advances which had the physic spot on imo(except the weak Spin dash and spin attack).

Their quality did drop with the Sonic Rush games that I detest so much.

Agreed as well, Sonic Advance 2 and 3 were brilliant.

Edited by bl4ckened-ang3l