Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Generations Impressions & Videos Thread

Agent York

Since Sonic Boom is later tonight, and a lot more people are going to have hands-on time with it, as well as it's confirmed we can bring camera, phones, and everything, decided to make a topic for all of that fun stuff. While it isn't until tonight, I'm sure people would be interested to hear what all who played it think. I am going tonight with a few friends, so excited and will make sure to get video.

Edited by Dusk Golem

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sami

• thatguyfrom03

• Agent York

• Woun

I didn't get to go unfortunately due to some complications, but one of my closest huge Sonic fan friends (SonicBoom7, BoyleVoices) went there and he tells me the game was fantastic. He tells me the classic really felt like Classic Sonic, Modern really worked on the formula to make things exciting and intense, and will say more when it's all done. He got a lot of recorded footage and tells me there were so many booths he could of played it 50 times if he wanted to but was having so much fun with everything else from Crush40 to them being extremely impressed with his Eggman voice to even hold a miniature voicing contest, to getting a signature from Yuji Naka and other stuff. He says he caught a lot of videos and will post soon, though. His impressions is the game is amazing, and he also tells me apparently they announced soon everyone will be able to play the E3 demo, guessing it will release on Sonic's birthday.

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 1

Damn. I'm soooo jealous of your friend. As soon as the vids are posted, mind sending links?

Is Classic Sonic controls feels floaty like Stuttering Craig said it is or the guy don't know what he's talking about?

I am so incredibly depressed I wasn't there. Recording a birthday chant to be put in game?! This reminds me of SA1 when it was first revealed - the chant of "SO-NIC! SO-NIC!" made it into the game's final boss in what I thought was a very beautiful moment...it really sucks being on the other side of the world and having exams in less than a week, it really really does. I've seen a couple of photos of all those cosplayers and damn, way to make me feel like a failure of a fan, SEGA.... :(

What I'm really dying to hear is that Crush 40/Cash Cash concert. Oh please god tell me somebody recorded that...I heard there were new Generations tunes.

And -- hold the phone, everybody --

CRUSH 40 REMIX OF SONIC BOOM, THE SONG. HOLY CRAP. I HAVE WAITED HALF MY LIFE FOR THIS MOMENT.

Videos. There must be videos or great raeg will commence.

EDIT: Yuji Naka himself signing autographs?! WHYYYYYY!

Edited by Extryn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am so incredibly depressed I wasn't there. Recording a birthday chant to be put in game?! This reminds me of SA1 when it was first revealed - the chant of "SO-NIC! SO-NIC!" made it into the game's final boss in what I thought was a very beautiful moment...it really sucks being on the other side of the world and having exams in less than a week, it really really does. I've seen a couple of photos of all those cosplayers and damn, way to make me feel like a failure of a fan, SEGA.... :(

What I'm really dying to hear is that Crush 40/Cash Cash concert. Oh please god tell me somebody recorded that...I heard there were new Generations tunes.

And -- hold the phone, everybody --

CRUSH 40 REMIX OF SONIC BOOM, THE SONG. HOLY CRAP. I HAVE WAITED HALF MY LIFE FOR THIS MOMENT.

Videos. There must be videos or great raeg will commence.

EDIT: Yuji Naka himself signing autographs?! WHYYYYYY!

• Thumbs Up 1

It's fun being on the east coast where we have these big-ass cities but nothing this awesome ever happening in them. I will wait for videos while being utterly depressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

From my understanding, they got recordings of fans chanting something for Sonic Generations to be in-game, so yes a lot like that scene in Sonic Adventure.

I also understand apparently Jun performed music that is to be in Sonic 4: Episode 2. And Crush40 sang a remix of Sonic Boom. And apparently there was a dance-off to fireworks. And birthday muffins.

GODDAMMIT DAD. (it was something I needed to do for him that even made me miss the event. OTL)

hnjuyh bgh btyvg v v tvgfFDSJKJN FJDSAFDKJASFOIOEAI FASDADSFEW39 3R290NFKDAEWoidjaiskfa foiaewof oie rfuqaeiworf

\[[[[

This is me banging my head on my keyboard for missing the chant AND SONIC BOOM BY CRUSH 40.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

;_;

I knew I shouldn't have looked at this topic. I wish I could have gone... I feel like I missed so much. Hope everyone had a good time though... vids/info please?

It's fun being on the east coast where we have these big-ass cities but nothing this awesome ever happening in them. I will wait for videos while being utterly depressed.

Well, I just got back from Sonic Boom!!! Played as Classic and Modern at LEAST 5 times each.

Classic Sonic Impressions:

Farther from the Genesis games than I imagined. Was initially, VERY disappointed but you do adjust very quickly. Sonic is best comparable to a cannonball. Very heavy at slow speeds, but when he builds up speed he maintains speed. Speed and inertia is carried over very well when you run and jump, and in that regard it's comparable to the Genesis games. Almost too much so. While his jump is very heavy, you do get used to it.

Here is the absolute worst part, and what I dreaded the most: Rolling sucks. No way around it. Very unresponsive, and when it does respond theres so much friction he never picks up speed. I've tried numerous times, and just running is plain better than spinning. 10 times out of 10.

Whats crazy about this is that spin dash is overpowered as fuck! Strongest spin dash in the series I think. It's also somewhat spammable like SA1. But you can't do it while actually spinning. But as soon as Sonic uncurls, he's ready for another full speed charge. And odds are you WILL use the auto-charge. It's just so readily available, and Sonic is so heavy, you just wanna get up to speed. B also serves as a crouch button, and from there hit A to spin dash. But it does not initiate spin on the move. Weird. Like I said earlier since Sonic carries his momentum so well, jumping after spin dash is going to be a massive time attack asset, like the Air Boost in Unleashed.

Overall score: B-/C+

Sonic doesn't really feel like his Genesis counterpart. If all things stay the same, the level design is what will determine the quality of Classic, rather than the feel of the character. Since I knew Green Hill like the back of my hand, and I still had a relatively fun time, I'm not too panicked. But he does need LOTS of work, and others WILL NOT be as gracious as I.

Miscellanious stuff:

No "I'm outta here!" after 3 minutes.

Bounce heights are consistant

Theres a pit under the final corkscrew

S-rank pose is the coolest thing ever

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I just got back from Sonic Boom!!! Played as Classic and Modern at LEAST 5 times each.

Farther from the Genesis games than I imagined. Was initially, VERY disappointed but you do adjust very quickly. Sonic is best comparable to a cannonball. Very heavy at slow speeds, but when he builds up speed he maintains speed. Speed and inertia is carried over very well when you run and jump, and in that regard it's comparable to the Genesis games. Almost too much so. While his jump is very heavy, you do get used to it.

Here is the absolute worst part, and what I dreaded the most: Rolling sucks. No way around it. Very unresponsive, and when it does respond theres so much friction he never picks up speed. I've tried numerous times, and just running is plain better than spinning. 10 times out of 10.

Whats crazy about this is that spin dash is overpowered as fuck! Strongest spin dash in the series I think. It's also somewhat spammable like SA1. But you can't do it while actually spinning. But as soon as Sonic uncurls, he's ready for another full speed charge. And odds are you WILL use the auto-charge. It's just so readily available, and Sonic is so heavy, you just wanna get up to speed. B also serves as a crouch button, and from there hit A to spin dash. But it does not initiate spin on the move. Weird. Like I said earlier since Sonic carries his momentum so well, jumping after spin dash is going to be a massive time attack asset, like the Air Boost in Unleashed.

Sonic doesn't really feel like his Genesis counterpart. If all things stay the same, the level design is what will determine the quality of Classic, rather than the feel of the character. Since I knew Green Hill like the back of my hand, and I still had a relatively fun time, I'm not too panicked. But he does need LOTS of work, and others WILL NOT be as gracious as I.

Miscellanious stuff:

just got back from the event, it was pretty cool naka Iizuka and some others from the original sonic team were there. jun was also in attendance and remixed a few songs along with the lead from crush, tho i found some of there songs kinda random like supersonic racing was remix and they did the theme to sonic heroes. as 4 the game there was nothing new we only played ghz the controllers we used were kinda crappy and there seemed to be a bit of a delay maybe it was just me. this looks to be the very first version we saw way back, also it seems that the loop automation for modern sonic is gone. games look is lookin quite good

tl;dr:can't believe they had the nerve to charge 5 for one bottle of water

Miscellanious stuff:

This information doesn't leave this forum.

So much fodder for the "Sonic is dead" guys. ._.

Sega... just, fix this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Modern Sonic:

I never thought I'd say this, but better than Classic. Like exceptional. So much potential. To put it into perspective, I initially found Unleashed controls very unapproachable and difficult. I've only played a few levels of Unleashed and was never adapted to controls. I picked up Modern and played it like I owned it. Sonic controls very well at low speeds, and I could actually walk in a small circle with ease. It's not adventure, but it's more than acceptable, and will make wider segments work.

I can't even write this, I'm dying to get this out the way:

The S.D.D

I read in one article, that Sonic had a new spin dash drift. So I used this new Spin Dash Drift(S.D.D). And you look and feel like one badass motherfucker when you're using it. The guy behind me and I both went "WOOOOOOO, DAMN!" when I busted it out. I mean....damn. It's on the L and R triggers(I think it was B on Unleashed), and it just feels smooth. You know all those narrow corridors with curves in the GHZ vids? They were undoubtedly made and justified for the drift. Highlight of the playthrough for me.

Level design was alright, and I found a new area on my very last playthrough of the game. Yes it narrow, linear and boost-worthy. I didn't even care when I played it. And with bigger stages we might have a winner on our hands

Wall Jump is faster, but not as precise of usable as in colors. Only worked on the black and red walls. Prefered Colors version by a longshot.

Overall Score: B+/A-

I was just impressed with how accessible the game was considering my first time with Unleashed. A little kid was playing very well. This game is fun at high speeds, and controllable in slow. This level was a giant corridor,and thats bad, but so much potential lies in this gameplay. Classic level design is superior so far, but Modern's mechanics are infinitely more solid and stable.

Miscellaneous stuff:

Tricks are done with random analog or dpad movement. Press RB and LB for Sonic Adventure Pose. Love it.

Homing attack range not quite as absurd as in Colors.

Wall Jump is faster, but not as precise of usable as in colors. Only worked on the black and red walls. Preffered Colors version by a longshot.

Air Boost is nerfed. Like a short distanced Air Dash. I prefer it that way.

Slide is obnoxious if you do it wrong. You don't crawl, but slide sloooowwwly. Hate it.

Sonic can be controlled by dpad. not worth it.

Stomping the bridge is a more of shortcut with water on the left(but invisible walls don't let you go in it).

S-rank pose is sexiness.

S.D.D is baddass

• Thumbs Up 1

Modern Sonic:

I never thought I'd say this, but better than Classic. Like exceptional. So much potential. To put it into perspective, I initially found Unleashed controls very unapproachable and difficult. I've only played a few levels of Unleashed and was never adapted to controls. I picked up Modern and played it like I owned it. Sonic controls very well at low speeds, and I could actually walk in a small circle with ease. It's not adventure, but it's more than acceptable, and will make wider segments work.

I can't even write this, I'm dying to get this out the way:

The S.D.D

I read in one article, that Sonic had a new spin dash drift. So I used this new Spin Dash Drift(S.D.D). And you look and feel like one badass motherfucker when you're using it. The guy behind me and I both went "WOOOOOOO, DAMN!" when I busted it out. I mean....damn. It's on the L and R triggers(I think it was B on Unleashed), and it just feels smooth. You know all those narrow corridors with curves in the GHZ vids? They were undoubtedly made and justified for the drift. Highlight of the playthrough for me.

Level design was alright, and I found a new area on my very last playthrough of the game. Yes it narrow, linear and boost-worthy. I didn't even care when I played it. And with bigger stages we might have a winner on our hands

Wall Jump is faster, but not as precise of usable as in colors. Only worked on the black and red walls. Prefered Colors version by a longshot.

Overall Score: B+/A-

I was just impressed with how accessible the game was considering my first time with Unleashed. A little kid was playing very well. This game is fun at high speeds, and controllable in slow. This level was a giant corridor,and thats bad, but so much potential lies in this gameplay. Classic level design is superior so far, but Modern's mechanics are infinitely more solid and stable.

Miscellaneous stuff:

Tricks are done with random analog or dpad movement. Press RB and LB for Sonic Adventure Pose. Love it.

Homing attack range not quite as absurd as in Colors.

Wall Jump is faster, but not as precise of usable as in colors. Only worked on the black and red walls. Preffered Colors version by a longshot.

Air Boost is nerfed. Like a short distanced Air Dash. I prefer it that way.

Slide is obnoxious if you do it wrong. You don't crawl, but slide sloooowwwly. Hate it.

Sonic can be controlled by dpad. not worth it.

Stomping the bridge is a more of shortcut with water on the left(but invisible walls don't let you go in it).

S-rank pose is sexiness.

S.D.D is baddass

Did you record footage? I really want to see footage of that drift.

it's more responsive with the d pad

I expected that Classic Sonic wasn't going to feel ENTIRELY like he did in the old games. To be honest I think I'm going to like the heavier jump...since I think its better for platforming reasons.

Rolling I'm a bit miffed about, but its not a deal breaker...I'll just spam spin dash once I learn to cancel 8P.

They got 6 months and I'm sure they have some minor things to fix...It is the pre alpha build.

I think everyone that went to Sonic Boom missed out on city escape gameplay XD expect another flood soon 8D

Edited by Voyant

https://twitter.com/...706018418294784

1. Splash Hill Medley / 2. Green Hill Medley / 3. Open Your Heart / 4. His World / 5. Sonic Heroes / 6. What I'm Made Of... / 7. Free.......

https://twitter.com/...706466630021120

8. Speak With Your Heart/ 9. Escape From The City/ 10. Super Sonic Racing/ 11. Sonic Boom/ 12. Live & Learn... This was the set we played :)

https://twitter.com/...706398917173248

@crush40 What is this?

https://twitter.com/...706590940798976

@WounTW The set I played at

Sonic Boom in Los Angeles :)

Okay, I'm very happy. Now I want to get the record.

Sorry, no vids from me. I never even planned on it. Just wanted to play and let the forum know my thoughts. It was briefly in some newer GHZ footage. Oh, btw at random points during that video, Omochao hovers around both Classic and Modern in GHZ. I guess its the new hint orb or something.

Really random, but at some point, Aaron Webber told the crowd to go "1,2,3 SEEEGAAA!" while I was playing modern. I timed it so I did "trick 1, trick 2 trick 3, SONIC ADVENTURE POSE!!!" as that happened. Took me back to 1999. It was amazing.

I'm kinda A.D.D, as I remember various details about the event. There is a slow and fast version for Modern Sonic's level and Jun Senoue played them both. I havent seen Gamespot City escape footage, but they showed us pre-recorded footage of it on the showfloor. Looked like a trailer with new kinda techno-ish remix of EFTC. Me and another guy were freaking out the entire time at that psychotic truck, and the end of the classic stage was just great and made us laugh! Despite my negative impressions, I'm still hyped for Classic btw. It's probably the repressed Sonic fanboy in me, but I feel a lot of my issues have a good chance of being fixed to be more stable. They don't have to be perfect Genesis if the level design is as fantastic as it looks.

After getting so intamate with the corridors in GHZ, I wanna see thatguyfrom03's reaction to the new stuff we were all drooling over.

It will be like watching a small child freak out over his Christmas present :lol: