Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Barrel of Doom"

canderson

More like jump at him LOADS OF TIMES before he destroys the platform. Then, it's only one hit left if you had hit him 7 times or more before he destroyed everything.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JezMM

• Tornado

• Blacklightning

• Rusty Spy

I had some problems with the Marble Garden boss simply because I played it as Sonic first, and wasn't sure how I was supposed to jump into Robotnik without...jumping. Yeah, Sonic 3 arguably has plenty of Guide Dang Its (Sandopolis could also cause of a couple more, not to mention Flying Battery). I can only guess that it is partially because the game was rushed.

Edited by Tornado

I remember trying to time jumping to make the barrel go down to where I needed to go, but yet I still couldn't get past the area. So as a kid, I gave up and just played threw the game using level select and also using Knuckles. It wasn't until about 6 years later, ya I'm pathetic, that I went online and found out how to do it. I really felt dumb for not knowing what to do, and I also didn't like how there was no indication on how to do it.

Yeah, Sonic 3 has plenty of Guide Dang Its (Sandopolis was also cause of a couple more, not to mention Flying Battery).

Hmm, I never remember having major problems in Sonic 3 & Knuckles when I played it the first time...I'd already been playing video games for a while before I got into Sonic, so maybe that helped.

I can't really remember what happened with me and this barrel, though. My first playthrough of Sonic 3 (alone, since it was through Mega Collection and I hadn't unlocked 3&K) was so long ago, but I don't remember any real problems...it's possible that I could've been stuck on it for a little, but I honestly just don't remember it at all. I do think I got past the zone relatively easily...

Yeah, Sonic 3 has plenty of Guide Dang Its
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. The barrel is the only one bad enough to invoke that trope...Sandopolis Act 2's sand slides can be a bit of a problem, but it's a lot easier to figure out what to do (especially considering you really only have one option, you just need to figure out when to use it). I really can't think of any real problems other than those...

VVV

The only other problem I can think of would be DEZ1's vacuum room. I once got a Time Over trying to figure out how to get past it - I used to think that it was some kind of random process.
Hm, yeah, I can see that tripping people up. Still, it does change colors when you hit it, so I wouldn't call it "Guide Dang It" hard. Edited by Diogenes

The only other problem I can think of would be DEZ1's vacuum room. I once got a Time Over trying to figure out how to get past it - I used to think that it was some kind of random process.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. The barrel is the only one bad enough to invoke that trope...Sandopolis Act 2's sand slides can be a bit of a problem, but it's a lot easier to figure out what to do (especially considering you really only have one option, you just need to figure out when to use it). I really can't think of any real problems other than those...

The only one I ever had problems with was the barrel. But I do know people who had problems figuring out where to go in Flying Battery. The Sandopolis thing I don't have any proof of, and was more of a guess than anything, admittedly (for the record, I was referring to the mid-boss and the slides). I rewrote my word choice to make that more clear. While I honestly would only consider the game to have two real guide-dang its (arguably the DEZ vacuum, but I think I disagree with that one), I do think the game had some sections that should have been presented in a way to help prevent confusion.

Edited by Tornado

Yeah, I don't remember Knuckles totally stumping me. It was a hard game but not in a puzzley way. I admit I fluked Flying Battery though (the bit where you have to wait for the missiles to destroy the floor). I thought I had glitched through it and couldn't work out what to do when I played it again, eventually noticing that the floor had gone all broken where the missiles landed lol.

Oddly enough, I had less problem with Sandopolis's slides, and more of a problem with a section near the end as Knuckles, where you have to hit the sand down and then push the block to hold the door open. It is dumb but it took me a fair time to figure it out. Not quite as bad as the barrel though, not even close.

Hm, yeah, I can see that tripping people up. Still, it does change colors when you hit it, so I wouldn't call it "Guide Dang It" hard.

I think the issue is that a lot of newer players want to go through the stage as fast as possible, though personally, I like bouncing around, so that room was too much fun to leave as soon as I entered.

Something I always liked to do was see how long I could stay in the room after I tripped the door opening.

That damn barrel had me stumped for a long time but my cousin did it first time. It's the kind of obstacle that would most probably make you kick yourself when you discover how to bypass it. Anyone who says that thing is intuitive is a barefaced liar, proved even more so by the fact that in the easy mode of Sonic 3 on Sonic Jam removes that barrel from the act. Even SEGA seemed to have lampshaded it's infamy.

In fact, I recall being egged-on by a few members on this forum to make a hoax based on it. Enjoy :lol:

Sonicfindsauseforknuxsbombs.png

Sonicfindsauseforknuxsbombs.png

You know, while I was stuck there, I was hoping something like that would happen, except I imagined Knuckles would be on the other side and would break the barrel for me. :P

Aside from that, the picture is a loose representation of what all players wanted to do with that barrel. >=D

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

Aside from that, the picture is a loose representation of what all players wanted to do with that barrel. >=D

No.

I kinda enjoy the barrel. Great little thing to piss off people and make everyone who can get past it feel superior. Rightly so.

I've got a rather large ego.

No.

I kinda enjoy the barrel. Great little thing to piss off people and make everyone who can get past it feel superior. Rightly so.

Fixed.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

I never had a real issue with the sand slides in Sandopolis act 2, it was towards the end of the level that seemed to mess me up the most as Knuckles.

The vacuum room in Death Egg Zone was fun as hell! I knew that I had to activate the switches, the only thing I hated was trying to get the last switch you needed to continue the level. The last one for me would always be the middle switch, so I continued to hit the switch above or below it.

No.

Want a medal?

Elitism - over a video game, of all things - is really the cool thing these days, I concur. Though I'm pretty sure getting past the barrel more quickly than others isn't going to be something you'll be wanting to put on your resumé.

Elitism - over a video game, of all things - is really the cool thing these days, I concur. Though I'm pretty sure getting past the barrel more quickly than others isn't going to be something you'll be wanting to put on your resumé.

I could put it on my resume if I was trying to get a job for SEGA.

And you say "Elitism" like it's bad.

But in all seriousness, like i've said, how long does it take to press every button on the controller and go "hmm, what if I do something diffrent?" Not long, unless your just stubborn and won't accept that one way won't work. It baffles me how people have spent over a YEAR on this easy lil' thing.

"How can you not think to try anything else?"

"Because the game forces it into your head that jumping works"

"But it doesn't"

"Except it does because -numerous examples-."

"...But how can you not think to try anything else?"

"But it doesn't"

"But it doesn't"

"But it doesn't"

We're not getting anywhere in this topic, lol. It seems each party shall never understand the other.

Edited by JezMM

But in all seriousness, like i've said, how long does it take to press every button on the controller and go "hmm, what if I do something diffrent?" Not long, unless your just stubborn and won't accept that one way won't work. It baffles me how people have spent over a YEAR on this easy lil' thing.

If you want to do a critique of human nature, which seems to be essentially what your point is, it probably would be more poignant to do it over something that supports your point of view more. In your first post, you essentially said that the only reason you didn't have any trouble with it is because you spent half-a-minute just screwing around on the barrel before you even got to the troublesome one, so I don't see how you can comment on the apparent stupidity you seem to feel others exhibit by not getting poor game design.

Edited by Tornado

I understand one part saying it's easy but it's like a brain surgeon saying brain surgery is easy, of course it is! He's done it and he knows it. The people who struggled first time around did not become brain surgeons so gave up and moved on... and didn't get over-inflated egos. O_o

There are some games that you guys will be all "WTF how do you do that?!" and the rest of us will breeze through it like it is nothing and not understand how you cannot do it.

Seriously elitism over a game? WTH dudes... that's sad!

"How can you not think to try anything else?"

"But it doesn't"

"But it doesn't"

"But it doesn't"

"But it doesn't"

We're not getting anywhere in this topic, lol. It seems each party shall never understand the other.

NO U

Seriously though you're right it's just that people see it from two different sides and experiences.

Very long. Because kids are conditioned to NOT to press all the buttons because it's technically not what you're supposed to do in a proper video game. This in particular holds true if you were raised off fighting games.