Awoo.

Cult Toons

Badnik Mechanic

Around 10 years ago, I remember trying to stay awake on a friday night after Raw/Smackdown was on (for some reason, in the UK they showed them both on Fridays)

By random chance I flicked over to the Cartoon Network and discovered a really strange cartoon, it looked like an episode of Wacky Races, but every now and again a random cartoon was cut into the show adding a funny one liner, the show was still easy to follow but it was really funny having these random blurbs edited into the show.

A week later I decided to watch this show again... though very sleepy I watched it... Penelope Pitstop this week. Again, it was one episode, with random edits. Very funny and very easy to follow.

This went on for a few weeks and then suddenly stopped... I asked my friends at school if they watched it. None of them had any idea what it was... I was alone in my love for Cult Toons.

Then when Youtube poop started I thought... this reminds me a lot of that show... but I could never remember it's name... then last night it came to me... CAPTAIN MAJORS!

So I typed Captain Majors into youtube and found it.

The show was called Cult Toons, it was a 30 min long cartoon that was broadcast on the Cartoon Network and it was very much experimental comedy, it was aimed at giving the Cartoon Network a more adult/grown up audience.

If it had gotten a lot more promotion chances are it would have suceeded. But sadly, very few people at the time have heard of it. With the internet, and nostalgia forums/retro junk... this show has slowly increased in popularity and notoriety.

If you're a fan of youtube poop, chances are you'll like this. It's very much the original youtube poop. Only it's vastly superior. Mainly because they keep the original cartoon more or less intact and then just eidt in random slices of other shows. Occasionally they alter the cartoon so include the odd swear word or too or often freeze the action. So if a character says "STOP!" the cartoon would freeze.

For example.

Hair bear: Say! What is this botch?

Edit:

Martain: My instant Item gun!

Spaceman: My mighty battle sword!

Alien: My Invincible war machine!

Edit:

Botch: I call it... slop.

Edit:

Captain Majors: What else could it have been?

Sadly, due to the lack of interest at the time, there are very few copies of the original show around. Only a few VHS recordings tha have been uploaded. But even then these are rare, some episodes have never been found and the company that now owns them has no plans on releasing a DVD of them despite a big demand in the fan circles.

It's best if you watch the episodes if you've never seen them before, you'll get a better idea of them and have a laugh at the same time.

Some are a lot better than others, I don't particually like the Wacky Races one myself. But others are gold in their quality.

Captain majors lonely hearts club band (this is my current favourite, it's really funny and it's strong throughout. especially with the random chinese cartoon character popping up).

Funky Phantom Meanace (this one doesn't start off so great... but after the ant-hill mob get transformed into evil versions, it gets really funny. Especially with all the laughing.)

Some of my favourite cuts would have to be the dude from Johnny Quest saying "In the andes! Directly over a tall mountain!" And the random black guy who randomly says "I think you might be right..." Just watch a few and you'll see what I mean.

Also... anyone else watch this show?

Edited by Casanova

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• TheGerkuman

• 7Force

• Eileanach

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds really good, I'm off to go wet myself laughing, who's up for joining me.

E: I've watched one and now I can acctually comment properly.

It's very funny, but only in parts, it keeps going fluxuating. But Overall, a good laugh. Now who's up for some Honky Food.

Edited by BlueFox

Very intereresting. I've watching Cartoon Network since it's beginning and certainly don't recall this show, so I'm guessing it only aired over in the UK. I watched a bit from the first link, and it gave me a few laughs.

Very intereresting. I've watching Cartoon Network since it's beginning and certainly don't recall this show, so I'm guessing it only aired over in the UK. I watched a bit from the first link, and it gave me a few laughs.

From having a look around it does seem like it was a UK only thing. But it's really strange since just about all the real life fottage that they used in it was from American TV Shows.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been shown in the US as it's a pretty universal thing.

I just wish that they had the Dextars Laboratory one uploaded, but like I said, copies of them are so rare that only a handful of tapes have been found... like this one... it's so rare and unknown that nobody knows what it's actual title is. Mainly because the start is missing... but nobody knows what it is.

Unknown Cult Toon (I love the bit at 2:30 onwards)

Edited by Casanova

"First they gave us HONKEY FOOD for breakfast!" XD

This isn't too bad. Especially the MR.T PSA mixed up with the baloon sequence. But I'm not finding it as funny as a lot of people are.

"First they gave us HONKEY FOOD for breakfast!" XD

I thought it was "Monkey Food!" when I first heard it.

This isn't too bad. Especially the MR.T PSA mixed up with the baloon sequence. But I'm not finding it as funny as a lot of people are.

The thing you need to remember is that this was the very first cartoon of it's type like this. Now we have an arbundance of youtube poops that do exactly the same as this and specifically target tastes, Cartoon Network was limited to what it owned and what it could get the rights to for this stuff.

In many ways I find it a lot better than many youtube poops because this creates its humour without forcing it with quick dialogue edits or completely random effects, theres still a story but it strangely fits when the other stuff gets added.

"What does your organisation do?"

"Grab brooms and get busy busy busy!"

The most awesome thing about it is it is like the first version of a YouTube Poop. I do not remember this show all that much but I do think it is quite amusing, but like someone else has already said it is funny and then a bit unfunny then it goes right back into funny again. Very unusual concept for a show.

I've revised my position, when the running gags finally kicked in for me. I bet I could go through most of my life inserting the phrases into my head whenever anyone has a conversation with me.

"I wasn't able to pick up the" ("Ham") "from the grocers" ("There was no Meat to Be found") "I need to know a good place to get some, know any?" ("In the Andes, on top of a large mountain")

"Yeah, go down to the shops. They have plenty of ("Honkey Food!")

"That's so cool!" ("Permit me an unscientific wow, but WOW")

But seriously, I think my favourite cut away, other than the Mr. T ones and the ones Cas mentioned, is the sad puppy and dramatic music from Dexters Lab.

I remember this show. I used to stay up and watch it when there was nothing else on. I cant really remember much about it as it was years ago when i saw this but its great to see it again on youtube, its jsut a shame that we may never see it on DVD.