Awoo.

Sonic, Chaos Control, and Nature

DC111

Every time we see Shadow in a game, he uses the power of the Chaos Emeralds to help him. He seems to be an exceptionally big fan of Chaos Control, using it frequently to get from place to place even though he can run pretty fast. However, Sonic often seems reluctant. He used CC in Sonic Adventure 2 to save his own life and in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 to save Elise’s life – both fairly good reasons. However, the only time he used it for a purpose other than absolute necessity was at the end of SA2 when he fought Shadow.

Now, I’ve wondered for quite a while why this is. Sonic is rarely found without a Chaos Emerald on his person, so he certainly had the opportunities. Wouldn’t it have been much more convenient to rely on CC once in a while? He could use it to freeze opponents in place (like Shadow did with Silver in ’06) to get an advantage, or get somewhere faster in an emergency. He could have used it in Chronicles. But he never does, whereas Shadow’s virtually obsessed with CC.

SA2 and ShTH was forever ago, I know. But the reason I’m posting this topic now is because it just now hit me why Sonic might avoid Chaos Control.

Let’s reminisce briefly. In the canon 2D games, Sonic and Eggman clashed because Eggman was capturing innocent animals and Sonic, as we all know, is not a fan of seeing anyone or anything oppressed against their will. In Sonic Adventure, Eggman was using animals as the CPU (for lack of better term) of his robots. Such was the case, too, for Sonic Adventure 2. Although Eggman’s usage of animals wasn’t a part of the main storyline, it still tells us something: Sonic believes in freedom from oppression, but he also cherishes nature. Otherwise, why would he free all those small creatures that he knows he’ll never come across again, and whom mean virtually nothing to him? His love of nature has been evident since the beginning.

Sonic and the Black Knight continues to build on this. Sonic’s primary reason for stopping Merlina was NOT to keep her from ruling the world and causing chaos (although that was part of it), but because ‘every world has its end,’ as the blue blur himself quite clearly stated it. It’s an unusual reason, but it’s what Sonic believes. He believes natural order should not be interfered with, and things that are destined to happen should be allowed to happen.

Let’s get back to the actual subject of the topic, now. I think the reason Sonic tends to stay away from Chaos Control is because of his beliefs. Think about it: Chaos Control can warp space or time. It can stop everything in its tracks; it can go back to the past and change the future. It tampers with nature no matter how you look at it, and that’s where the collision lies.

Of course, I could be wrong; there could be an entirely different reason or maybe there’s not even a reason at all. Maybe he just isn’t skilled with it. *shrugs* That’s just my theory… any others are welcome.

Discuss. :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Ryan Brown

• ovarloard

• DC111

The reason Sonic doesn't use CC often is because it would utterly destroy Shadow's only remaining originality in the games.

But as a personality thing, it's most likely because Sonic lives, thinks and breaths running. Chaos Controlling everywhere would make Sonic's life as boring as ever to him, and defeats the purpose of why his life is such an exciting adventure everyday.

My own theory is that he's just not very good at it. But I have heard almost-convincing arguments to the tune that Sonic actually CCs all the time; he just dosn't go on and on and on about it like Shadow does.

His time-stop move in SA2 multiplayer? Chaos control. The blue aura that comes off him when running? Chaos control. His super-speed in general? Chaos control. S3&K static shield? Chaos control.

Part of it is that Sega can't seem to decide whether Chaos Control is a teleport or a time freeze (ZA WARDO!).
It's been clearly established as both. Time and space are relative and so it would make sense that they both can be manipulated with the same move.

I am not sure all the abilities listed qualify as being directly related to Chaos Control, although Sonic is one of the few gifted with the ability to harness chaos energy for any conceivable purpose. I mean that literally, of course: chaos is power enriched by the heart. Whether his both regular and latent abilities were from Chaos Control or not, it certainly took encounters with Shadow for him to understand the quirks for the first time.

...and in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 to save Elise’s life...

...He believes natural order should not be interfered with, and things that are destined to happen should be allowed to happen...

Seems a bit contradictory, doesn't it? You could chalk it up to '06 being a shitheap, but that's the easy way out.

The way I see SatBK, it's not so much about an explicit "this is against nature, therefore it is wrong", but more that Merlina was creating a twisted world and denying all change because she couldn't accept death and loss. Sonic's not about letting destiny just take its course (hell, I can't imagine him not fighting even harder were he told he was destined to fail), but it's something you need to stand up and fight, not run away from.

As far as Chaos Control? It's just not his thing. Just because he can do it doesn't mean that he's inclined to, even if it would help...carrying around a pistol would probably be useful for him, but, as he says in ShtH, he wouldn't be caught dead with one. Sonic's the kind of guy who follows his heart in everything he does, and Chaos Control just isn't his style.

Seems a bit contradictory, doesn't it? You could chalk it up to '06 being a shitheap, but that's the easy way out.
Well, that is sort of to blame even if it can be justified. Sonic was barely in character for that game as it is.

The way I see SatBK, it's not so much about an explicit "this is against nature, therefore it is wrong", but more that Merlina was creating a twisted world and denying all change because she couldn't accept death and loss. Sonic's not about letting destiny just take its course (hell, I can't imagine him not fighting even harder were he told he was destined to fail), but it's something you need to stand up and fight, not run away from.

As far as Chaos Control? It's just not his thing. Just because he can do it doesn't mean that he's inclined to, even if it would help...carrying around a pistol would probably be useful for him, but, as he says in ShtH, he wouldn't be caught dead with one. Sonic's the kind of guy who follows his heart in everything he does, and Chaos Control just isn't his style.

Fair point. I still think he's for natural order, but maybe not that bit I said before about allowing destiny to take the reigns. I sort of worded that wrong; I'm sure Sonic follows the idea of choice and free will over fate and destiny. I just don't think he follows tampering with nature.

Wow, I guess I have a talent for contradicting myself. *is mentally discombobulated*

Edited by DC111

I'm more in line with you guys and the whole "not his style" bit, but then again after he uses it in Sonic Adventure 2 for the first time he's worn and dizzy. It doesn't seem like he can do it well or as often as Shadow can (due to a number of reasons, such as being the Ultimate life form, Black Doom's affinity for emeralds, etc.). However, one could make the argument that it was because it was a fake chaos emerald Tails had.

Oh, and where in 06 does he use it to save Elise? I don't remember that part of it...namely because I try to not remember anything about that game in general.

Sonic does enjoy his challenge, but I think part of it may be his attempt at making sure his opponent has his fair chance at victory. So, by that logic, it makes sense that he'd use Chaos Control in his boss fight with Shadow. It puts him on Shadow's terms. Much the same as the fact that Sonic could have outran an extreme gear with ease. Sure, running probably wouldn't have allowed him to enter the race, but by all means, what does that matter when he normally just takes the Chaos Emeralds from Eggman anyway? He saw it as a fun challenge.

Now, aside from when he's in a boss fight or there's a desperate event that absolutely calls for it, I'd go with the argument that it's not his style.

My argument for him using it far less often than Shadow is that it probably takes more out of him and is more uncomfortable for him than it is for Shadow. Shadow was specifically engineered to be the 'ultimate lifeform', and it makes sense that he's able to enrich his own powers easily via chaos to live up to that title. As far as we know, Sonic on the other hand is simply a gifted but entirely natural hedgehog who is able to do some amazing things, but possibly not without a toll. He's aware that the ability is there, and that he can use it, but he chooses not to because he is content with what he can do without having to go that far.

If it looks like I'm attributing a weakness to him then good, 'cause I am. I don't want him to be perfect, or able to master every technique to its full potential. Then again, it can also be one of his greatest strengths - knowing how much is enough, and using his mastery of speed and his quick wits alone in most circumstances.

I imagine Sonic's a big fan of a level-playing field. Using chaos control is probably a bit unfair in his eyes. Except of course when he fought Shadow, who after all used it too ("I'll use your... chaos control!" when Sonic uses it).

I doubt that Sonic would really even think about this sort of thing for more than a few seconds. Hell, I doubt that he even remembers he can do it most of the time. He's a running man. (In his world, more is less lol) He just doesn't need it it, except in those rare circumstances that have been mentioned before.

I don't think he's got a big interest in 'the natural order', either. I see him as being completely self-absorbed and motivated by his own entertainment. He saves the world because fighting Eggman is fun. He races Jet on a gear because that's more fun than just taking the emeralds by force. Occasionally, he does do some 'nice guy' things, like rescuing princesses and whatnot, but I say that's probably just to stroke his ego.

Frankly, a videogame character should be motivated by fun. If videogames aren't about fun, then what are they?

From a gameplay point of view, it wouldn't be Sonic anymore and it would take away any originality that Shadow had.

From a personality point of view, if Sonic were to CC himself from place to place...where's the fun of running that he loves so much? And if he used CC to freeze his opponents, for example an Eggman Mech, where's the fun in battling?

Sonic lives life to the full, and he likes winning because he's good at it. He doesn't want to win by cheating, he wants to win because of skill, which he has in bucket-loads without CC.

Personally, I think it is kind of hard for him to use Chaos Control. The first time he used it in SA2, he was drained, and Knuckles actually had to help him up. As stated before, Sonic is a natural hedgehog, while Shadow was "engineered" to have this ability. Sonic is gifted, but he still can't use CC non-stop like Shadow because it takes too much energy. Similar to how he can only stay in his Super form for a limited time because it drains energy. (Although my theory was completly obliterated by Sonic 06 <_< ... which obliterated itself... ;) )

Oh, and where in 06 does he use it to save Elise? I don't remember that part of it...namely because I try to not remember anything about that game in general.

He and Shadow use it to go back in time earlier in the game, and then after Elise 'dies' he uses it again to go back in time and change things.

I know that seems contradictory to my original point, but those ARE the only instances he uses Chaos Control aside from SA2, and he uses it for a good reason, so... *shrugs*

My argument for him using it far less often than Shadow is that it probably takes more out of him and is more uncomfortable for him than it is for Shadow. Shadow was specifically engineered to be the 'ultimate lifeform', and it makes sense that he's able to enrich his own powers easily via chaos to live up to that title. As far as we know, Sonic on the other hand is simply a gifted but entirely natural hedgehog who is able to do some amazing things, but possibly not without a toll. He's aware that the ability is there, and that he can use it, but he chooses not to because he is content with what he can do without having to go that far.

If it looks like I'm attributing a weakness to him then good, 'cause I am. I don't want him to be perfect, or able to master every technique to its full potential. Then again, it can also be one of his greatest strengths - knowing how much is enough, and using his mastery of speed and his quick wits alone in most circumstances.

If Sonic was perfect, he'd be no fun to try and relate to, 'cause it just wouldn't be realistic. Someone on here recently described him as... perfect in his imperfection, I think it was. Don't remember who said it, but that's a good way to put it. :)

These are all good explanations, as well, and admittedly they're making me rethink my own a bit. :huh: Not using CC because it would take away from the experience of the journey or because he doesn't want to 'cheat' in a fight are reasons that make a lot of sense. But then again, maybe nobody's wrong.

Maybe when he does all this "saving the world" stuff, it's partly for his own enjoyment. And to get max enjoyment out of it, he limits the use of "cheap" moves such as Chaos moves.

Ocassionally, however, there will be someone who needs to be stopped no matter what, or something that absolutely needs to be done, and Sonic can't afford to make it fun and risk losing. My guess is that's the only reason he uses the Chaos moves.

Personally, I think it is kind of hard for him to use Chaos Control. The first time he used it in SA2, he was drained

Nah, it only did that because the emerald was fake, and didn't have as much power as the real deal, so it drained sonic a bit. At least that's what I think =P

He's not like Shadow... maybe since Shadow was "made" and is not fully natural, he has unnatural abilities, such as the ability to store and make greater use of Chaos energy. Sonic, being a flesh and blood organism, might not have been doctored upon, and so is limited to making use of external Chaos energy (i.e., from Chaos Emeralds).

I'm a firm believer in the "fun" theory. To Sonic, life is a game, the world his own personal playground. Sure, he knows when to be serious, but it won't stop him having fun when he gets the chance. Using Chaos Control to god-mode fights? Naaaah, that's not as fun as cocky one-liners and dizzying speed, all the while posing to grin and wave his finger. Sonic likes to show off and there's nothing more flashy than saying "I'm so much cooler, more awesome, and stronger than you, I don't even NEED Chaos Control! *trademark grin*"

And of course, considering Sonic loves to run, I don't think he'd give that up just to get from A-B faster. When you can travel as fast as he can, I don't think there becomes too much of a difference between teleporting and running.

Of course, an alternate theory that I support is that it's to do with his abilities. I like the idea of Shadow and Sonic being equals with different strengths. I prefer to believe that Shadow is a little slower than Sonic, and with far less stamina, but he makes up for this weakness in greater upper-body strength and his Chaos abilities. Sure, Sonic can use them too, but they're more draining and it takes him more effort than it would Shadow.

I also think that the OP has a point, though, I think Sonic would far more prefer it to win a fight out of his own ability than god-mode it, because he isn't the sort to interfere with nature, in this case his own. He was born with speed, and unless it's absolutely necessary, he wouldn't break the natural limits given to him. I don't think he likes overpowering and generally wiping the floor with something so important as the space time continuum - normal people just aren't meant to do that.

Overall very interesting topic, I love little quirks in the series like this (and especially talking about them.)

I've been under the impression that Sonic only uses Chaos Control when he's got no other choice. He relies on his speed to get the job done otherwise.

All the times where he's used Chaos Control were during emergencies, situations where he'd be screwed if the ability wasn't used (being shot into space, final duel with Shadow, stopping the ARK, traveling through time, etc.) If he doesn't need to use Chaos Control, he won't bother with it.