Awoo.

Voice Actors

Nepenthe

By popular demand in the status section, apparently we needed another voice actor topic! However, this one is going to be all-encompassing: You can talk about your favorites and their other works, compare and contrast them, suggest alternatives, weigh on in the debate, or anything else relating to the general subject of voice acting. But to make it a bit more comprehensive than that, I figured it'd be proper to go through all of the leading men this series has had over the years, (which is too many) just in case there's one nerd in the herd who doesn't know all of the names by now. Also, I like to hear myself talk, or read myself write--

First man at bat: Jaleel White, notoriously known as Steve Urkel/Stefan Urquelle in Family Matters. He did Sonic in every television show in the 90s as well as the siblings in Sonic Underground. In Underground, Sonic got vocal backing from Samuel Vincent instead who has a more extensive resume than White but is probably best remembered for Double D in Ed, Edd, n' Eddy.

Then there's Martin Burke in the Sonic The Hedgehog: The Movie released in 1999...and that's it. Seriously, it's like he died or something. There isn't even a picture of the guy floating around out there. His Japanese counterpart was Masami Kikuchi who everyone knows best as Tenchi in the Tenchi Muyo! series, though he too has a large resume.

Sonic also had almost-negligible voicing in the games at the time: Keiko Utoku, a pop singer who provided a clip in Sonic CD (and also performed on the True Colors album released awhile back) while Takeshi Kusao did work in SegaSonic Arcade. He's best known as Trunks from Dragon Ball Z although I personally like him for a stint he did in a crappy tokatsu show; I'll tell you why later.

Dreamcast Era arrives with full-blown voice acting! White is never seen again, on his throne sitting Ryan Drummond who's primarily a stage actor. He had a funny cameo as the broadway guy in Bring It On, but otherwise this was his break-out role. Six years later- succeeded by Jason Anthony Griffith who was doing Sonic X work in a nasty little break-up that scarred the fanbase and its reputation forever: Campaigns to reinstate Drummond, flame wars, and death threats were abound. Despite all the crap Griffith got as a result, he won by proving himself a capable actor. A good example of his talent is Kurokami; naysayers should watch and enjoy it.

Now we have Roger Craig Smith who I probably don't need to go into too much now since he's so recent: Does Ezio Auditore, Chris Redfield, tons of other anime and game roles...and is apparently on the Regular Show. Fun. He's awesome, most people love him; cool.

While the west has had this entire civil war being waged over actors and constant switches, the east had it good because they did the smart thing in sticking with one dude: Junichi Kanemaru. He's not entirely prolific, but he did a kick-ass performance as Hayato Kazami in the series Future GPX Cyber Formula (which is also celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, complete with karting), and his voice is so distinctive that it's easy to spot him. And he speaks pretty fluent English too.

The only other time since 1998 that Sonic has been voiced in Japanese by someone else is with his Werehog form. That was done by Tomokazu Seki, my avatar, who has been in tons of other notable series: G Gundam, Full Metal Panic, Hajime no Ippo, Initial D, Gungrave, One Piece, Lucky Star, etc.. Awesome, awesome, awesome actor; I totally love him. He also starred alongside Kusao in a very bad superhero show called Voicelugger I only watched out of curiosity for Seki's stage acting. He has another superhero show starring himself and his own theater company as well. The dude works hard.

So that's ten guys, and one gal, who have voiced this one single hedgehog in just the twenty years he's been living. If you didn't learn something, maybe I recommended an interesting show for you to watch in the process. If I didn't even accomplish that, well that just makes me feel awful for putting as much effort as I did into this.

So, thoughts? xD

• Thumbs Up 4

I like all of Sonic's voice actors in their own way. I don't think any of them are bad, but I definitely like some more than others.

Even though it may be a bit too soon to say this from just one game, but I think my favorite right now would be Roger Craig Smith. When I first heard him speak as Sonic in that infamous Sonic Colors cut-scene ("Yeah, I'll just stick with 'aliens' if that's okay with everybody"), it through me off, as I wasn't expecting Sonic to sound so much deeper and older. But the more I heard his voice, the more I liked it. It just seemed so natural, not "forced" at all like some of the other voice actors. He sounds exactly like Sonic should; laid-back yet extremely cocky.

Even though I don't think he's a bad voice actor at all, I'd have to rank Jason Griffith as my least favorite Sonic voice. He definitely got better over the years, but there was always something about the way he did his Sonic voice. It always just seemed really forced, and often times he would overemphasize practically every other word ("Oh NO! We GOTTA get OUT of HERE!"). Overall I still think he did a good job, especially in Black Knight, Brawl and Unleashed.

I thought Ryan Drummond did an excellent job as Sonic, he's a close second on my list. I have to admit I do kind of miss him doing Sonic's voice, but I've accepted that he's long since been replaced. I'll always remember him for the Dreamcast era though.

I must also admit that I do have a nostalgic fondess for Jaleel White's Sonic voice. I don't think it would really work as well today, but he pretty much WAS Sonic in the '90s. Also, I watched Family Matters every week so Jaleel was practically a hero of mine when I was a kid. :P

As for Martin Burke, I think he's a good voice actor, but his voice would not work AT ALL for Modern Sonic.

Edited by mikeblastdude
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ryan Drummond is my favourite as he encompassed the "simple but cool" attitude I've come to expect from Sonic. I prefer his work in Adventure 2 and Heroes over the original Adventure, though.

I do like Roger Craig Smith's work. He was good in Colours and he has definitely improved since if the more recent Generations demo grunts are anything to go by, but I'll always miss Ryan.

I think Jaleel White is the perfect voice for Classic Sonic and a perfect counterpart to Ryan and Roger.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, Sonic was at his prime (In terms of VA) in Unleashed and Black Knight. Post-2007 Jason is still my favorite VA even though he's gone. It's such a shame that they had to give him the boot after him just giving some of Sonic's best VA performances. Even now, when i think of Sonic, i still think of Jason and not Roger.

I love Ryan, too. I was upset when i saw him go and during the the first couple of years, disliked Jason's voice. But as time passed, he grew on me. It's hard for me to decide which one i like better.

I don't dislike Roger but there's something about Jason and Ryan i like more. Maybe it's just because he's only done 2 games. One having no real plot and the other having a meh plot with an overly cheesy script. :P Or it could simply be because of the fact that he's new and it's usually hard when transitioning from VA to VA. (Just like with Jason and Ryan)

Although during Generations i'll probably get a good feel for him as Sonic. Hopefully better than Colours.

Edited by MobileChikane

Guess I'll take my turn too.

Okay well I like Ryan. He was great as sonic in the early 00's. But going back watching/playing Sonic games and comparing them to Roger or jason, I think well he's dated. Yes he is great but his time is just gone and over now. Not gonna say I miss him and I'm not gonna say I don't. It's just a thing. Jason started off TERRIBLE. I'm sorry, his Sonic X's sonic was not very good. Same went for his SHTH and Sonic 06. He did get better by Unleashed and Brawl though so I'll give him that. I'm actually glad he's gone and done with.

Roger. Oh boy do I enjoy his Sonic. It just says...."BITCHES SONIC IS BACK"! I think that alone helped put sonic back in my heart. His grunts vs Jason are waaaay better. Compare Unleashed and Colours & you'll understand. And to top that, He grew a special spot in my fandom when I realized Ezio, Chris and Sonic were done by the same guy. I seriously flipped out. I loved his performance in Assassin's creed 2, Brotherhood and the small stuff I saw from Revelations. I'm glad Sonic has another great actor backing him up. Can say the same for Tails or knuckles though.

My general opinion on Sonic's voice actors is that I prefer Ryan to Jason for his voice even though the latter has the advantage of infinitely-better voice direction. Roger trumps both, being a better actor and having a range that Jason simply doesn't have as easily evidenced by his okay work on Shadow (FFS, get David Humphrey back) and dismal work on Jet; Free Riders and Colors are like night and day, the staple cheesiness versus a welcome level of cartoon casualness, but they both work.

Junichi runs circles around everyone. His voice is amazing, utterly adorable but equally capable of conveying serious tones. And how can you not love his Engrish? Tomokazu loses out on the top spot simply because the Werehog wasn't given a wide range of emotions to display despite the fact that his actor is multi-talented. If the form is ever to have multiple appearances in different situations, he'll be trumping Kanemaru. The guy's just that good.

I have little attachment to Jaleel now. He has the advantage of funny dialogue, especially in AoStH, but his voice can easily become obnoxious, especially with Urkel in the back of my mind. Ironically, I think Martin is a better fit for classic Sonic, mostly because he's so bombastic, with a nasally douchebag tone that makes him sound fittingly up himself. He's such a guilty pleasure that he's absolutely perfect for the role.

I have no opinion on anyone else. xP Well, that's not true. Am I the only one who's thought at one time or another Michael J. Fox might have made a nice Sonic in a more mainstream venture like a film?

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

Am I the only one who's thought at one time or another Michael J. Fox might have made a nice Sonic in a more mainstream venture like a film?

Me? I personally prefer Roger with Ryan being second and Jason being 3rd.

Jason is good and all, but really, the only thing I ever liked that he said when he was Sonic? That one early cutscene of Secret Rings when, wait for it, Sonic sneezed and he explained he got a cold. No joke. That's it. (Oh I am so gonna get hated for that!) Besides, every time I hear him, he sounds the same.

Ryan was pretty good. I will say he can act, but he made Sonic sound like he was a 23 year old man, at least in SA2. I kinda preferred his performance in SA. Sure, it didn't have the best acting, but at least Sonic sounded more like he was 15 years old. As for Sonic Heroes, um, yeah, I have no idea how to describe that one, other than it sounds like he drank 3 cups of coffee. And Sonic Shuffle? Er, I only heard that like, one time and I don't feel like looking up it up again. So no opinion on that one.

As for Roger, I quite like his performance as Sonic. I really like the voice he gives Sonic: about 15-16 years old and cute. Plus, the man is really good in general. I've said this many times before, but he was really good as Oliver Oken in Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour. No joke, he sounded just like Mitchell Musso. (Yeah, I used to watch Hannah Montana).

That's just my opinions though ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, im surprised how chill everyone is being.

Here is my two cents about Ryan Drummond.

He was the first english actor to REALLY be Sonic in the games. They should of stuck with him, PERIOD. They stuck with Junichi, they should have stuck with Ryan, it only makes sense.

Ryan was such a nice guy and he had a HUGE passion for the role.

Now Im going to speak in his defense because I have heard people call his acting bad.

I TRULY FEEL like anyone who thinks Ryan honestly was a bad actor is being absolutely blinded by a few simple facts.

Back when Ryan was voicing they had to DRAG ON there lines to try and fit the mouth movements in the game. You cant expect someone to be perfect while having to do this. It was obvious that there was something really screwed up in the sound department when it came to the dubbing and lip syncing.

What upsets me more than anything is when people use this line against Ryan...

"Watch out your gonna crash, AGH!"

Well let me ask you people something... HOW WOULD YOU DELIVER THAT LINE.

Its just poorly written, No actor could really make that line sound all that great.

And the combo of that and Sonics face when he says that makes the acting look even worse.

But its not the acting, its mainly just the script and the expression on Sonics face.

I dont even see this as a matter of opinion.

The SA games also had a big problem where the music was louder than the voices, which also makes the cast look bad. I believe this was most notable in SA2.

Then there was Sonic heroes, where most people say his acting has improved....It actually didnt, it just seemed like it because during the CG cutscenes they actually lip synced to the english words. This is NO COINCIDENCE. Ryan was ALWAYS a good actor. Ive also heard people say his spoken lines were the WORST in Sonic heroes, well thats probably because his WRITTEN LINES were the worst in heroes, heroes was the most cheesey in my opinion.

It just pisses me off when people use bad script writing and lip syncing against an actor.

You dont just give someone a role like that then take it away from them for no reason.

I can see them taking it away from jason more because half the fanbase disliked him but at the time Ryan was voicing sonic everyone seemed pretty chill about the voices...Sure occasionally you would here, the lines are cheesey...but thats not the actors fault.

Ryan deserves that role back, I dont care HOW LONG it has been, to this day that still bothers me. At least give him one more shot, with good script writing and lip syncing. The man Deserves it, anyone who says otherwise needs to grow a heart.

I have also heard SO MUCH FALSE information about Ryan.

Ive heard people say he quit.

NOT TRUE.

Ive heard people say hes dead.

NOT TRUE

Ive heard people say he would never go back to voicing sonic

NOT TRUE, in fact, in a SAGE interview in i think it was 2008 he said he would go back to voicing Sonic in a heartbeat.

RYAN DESERVES ANOTHER SHOT. SIMPLE AS THAT.

Sorry, i got a little steamed.

Now about the other actors...

Jason Griffith, Ive always disliked him the most, ive always felt like he sounded like he was reading from a script and he almost sounds TOO human for the role to me.

And i cant stand his up and down tone and the way he pronounces his A's like... SHE AD OW.

Bugs the crap out of me, to me he also sounds slow in some of the games.

I used to blame this all on him, but that was wrong of me, the script writing and voice directing sucked during that period of time.

And to be fair, I actually think his best game was shadow the hedgehog.

But still, ive just never really liked his voice.

He had some good lines in brawl...

But it was a very sad time period for me, because in my opinion if the characters voice feels off, the character feels off. For that ENTIRE TIME Jason was voicing Sonic, I wasnt as into the franchise because I didnt feel like i was playing as the same character. And to top it off they took out the option to play in japanese on the majority of those games.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Also another thing, has anyone ever noticed how similar Junichi and Ryan sound?

Personally, I think Ryan sounds the most similar to Junichi so it seems like it would make sense to keep it faithful to the japanese version.

I actually dont have much problem with the rest of the 4kids cast aside from tails.

Now for Roger...

Hes doing a great Job, i FINALLY feel like i have my childhood hero back.

He sounds kinda like blend between Jaleel and SA1 ryan to me in colors.

IM SO HAPPY to have my childhood hero back, but the Ryan thing will always linger.

The sad part is, people have given up on Ryan, even the people who still want him back have given up, because everytime they speak their mind they are treated like shit or compared to that spax dude.

But ill admit, ive seen stupidity from both sides, and I personally admit I was being a jerk towards jason at first saying I hated him and stuff, which was wrong... this is when i was like 16 though.

But it still pains me because with Sonic generations coming out and seeing all that city escape stuff its making me miss Ryan again.

I really say everyone should at least be in support of Ryan voicing Sonic in Adventure 3 if it ever happens. The man AT LEAST deserves that.

Okay im done ranting FOR NOW! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

wow, I guess that was more like my two, million dollars about ryan drummond.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Did i mention he said he would of payed his own way and RELOCATED to new york to voice in Sonic X. BUT NOOOOooooOOOo. lol

Wow, sorry people, im probably looking a bit psycho, but he is one of my favorite voice actors. Just remember were all Sonic Fans here, please dont shoot me.

Im 22 years old, I grew up with Sonic.

My favorite game is Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Their, that probably makes me look a bit more normal right...maybe...

Edited by TheDanimator

I really got into Sonic right around the time that the transition between Drummond and Griffith was taking place. Therefore, both of them sound like Sonic to me. I personally don't think either of their voice ACTING was all that great, but the VOICES in and of themselves sounded like Sonic to me. On the other hand, I think RCS's voice acting is great, but the voice ITSELF doesn't sound Sonic-y to me. It'll take some getting used to.

Overall, Griffith's voice with RCS's acting skills would be the ideal Sonic for me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and apparently Griffith is actually a Sonic fan. For some reason that boosts my opinion of him as well. ^_^

Edited by DC111

Would you agree that Ryan and Jason both have a different take on the character though?

PS: Ryan is/was also a Sonic fan.

Idk, I can pick out similarities in ALL the sonic voices except Jasons...I mean once in a blue moon he will do a good line but yeah...

Jason is also the only voice that sounds really human to me, one of the things I like about all the other actors is they all have this sense of non human about them. But Jason just sounds like some dude to me.

btw

@mikeblastdude

Wouldnt it be interesting to here how Drummond would act out some of the colors lines?

I really feel like part of what made rogers lines so great was partially the natural feeling script.

Also about Jaleel...you know these days you might actually be suprised at how well his voice would fit...

Have you heard about the fan film hes voicing in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAFG11qpes

If you imagine that voice on modern sonic it fits remarkably well, IMO at least. I think it fits better than expected because its deeper now or something.

Edited by TheDanimator

Would you agree that Ryan and Jason both have a different take on the character though?

PS: Ryan is/was also a Sonic fan.

Idk, I can pick out similarities in ALL the sonic voices except Jasons...I mean once in a blue moon he will do a good line but yeah...

Jason is also the only voice that sounds really human to me, one of the things I like about all the other actors is they all have this sense of non human about them. But Jason just sounds like some dude to me.

A bit of a reminder, let's not turn this thread into a Drummond Love Fest or use generalizations towards opponents of Drummond and his fans. That makes it more likely that this will get a bit inflammatory. And besides, this topic is open to discuss all characters' voice actors, not just Sonic's. I just figured that crude timeline would be appropriate and informative. =P

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVVVudAV1IQ

If anyone wants to hear some drummond clips from SA2 that are not being drowned out by music, check this out. It REALLY shows how amazing he is.

O_o Well, there goes ten minutes of my life. Thanks for mental-SA2-replay.

In all seriousness, Drummond is great, I'm just used to Griffith more at this point since we had him for so many years. Drummond's still awesome, though. "Do you know who I am!" is probably one of the best-executed lines in the series. He improved tenfold from SA1 to SA2, too... wasn't fond of a lot of his performance in SA1.

Also, LOL @ 4:12-4:17.

Whoa... 6:27? When was this said? Maybe it's just because it's out of context, but I don't remember. Sounds like he's having a hard time, whatever's going on.

Edited by DC111

All the voices are great, but thus far Roger is just the better actor.

If you've heard the long (very long) list of voices he's done, you'd realise that the dude has got some serious vocal range, as well as top-notch acting talent. That vocal range means that he can apply his voice to any situation or adapt the voice to better suit a situation than any of the two previous actors. I loved the effort he put into his Colours voice.

I'm not against Ryan Drummond or Jason Griffith at all, I just think the the latter had too much of a 'vanilla' voice, in that his normal voice sounds near identical to his Sonic voice (remember that HILARIOUS Condom ad). Ryan on the other hand...well, his acting had improved massively from SA1 to Heroes, so I'd say he was pretty good. He had a great passion for the character and he was a pretty decent voice for Sonic.

Overall, my top two are RCS followed by Drummond. Griffith was really good in Black Knight, but honestly, I think he's better as a physical actor as opposed to a voice actor.

RCS is doing a great job. His first two efforts as Sonic are a huge step up from Drummond's and Griffith's first efforts, which were hilariously bad. I'm sure his acting as Sonic will improve as he gets used to the role.

Scar, I recommend reading my post, as long as it is.

I think drummond has very good reason for not being as "good" as roger from the start.

And I personally think Ryans Range is just as good as Rogers.

http://www.ryandrummond.com/html-swfs/nnfs_audio.html

Listen to the voice over circus.

He even does a Sonic line at the end!

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1

All the voices are great, but thus far Roger is just the better actor.

If you've heard the long (very long) list of voices he's done, you'd realise that the dude has got some serious vocal range, as well as top-notch acting talent. That vocal range means that he can apply his voice to any situation or adapt the voice to better suit a situation than any of the two previous actors. I loved the effort he put into his Colours voice.

I'm not against Ryan Drummond or Jason Griffith at all, I just think the the latter had too much of a 'vanilla' voice, in that his normal voice sounds near identical to his Sonic voice (remember that HILARIOUS Condom ad). Ryan on the other hand...well, his acting had improved massively from SA1 to Heroes, so I'd say he was pretty good. He had a great passion for the character and he was a pretty decent voice for Sonic.

Overall, my top two are RCS followed by Drummond. Griffith was really good in Black Knight, but honestly, I think he's better as a physical actor as opposed to a voice actor.

RCS is doing a great job. His first two efforts as Sonic are a huge step up from Drummond's and Griffith's first efforts, which were hilariously bad. I'm sure his acting as Sonic will improve as he gets used to the role.

Bolded for truth. ^_^'

And the condom ad was lol-worthy. Am I the only one who closed my eyes listening to that, to see(hear) if that performance was interchangeable with Sonic? Seriously, if you stuck his lines from the condom ad in that SA2 voice clip collection that TheDanimator posted, it'd blend right in.

...Someone should do that. It'd be funny to see the comments on Youtube from people who didn't know about the condom ad. "WTF, what game is this from!?!!!11"

Scar, I recommend reading my post, as long as it is.

I think drummond has very good reason for not being as "good" as roger from the start.

And I personally think Ryans Range is just as good as Rogers.

http://www.ryandrummond.com/html-swfs/nnfs_audio.html

Listen to the voice over circus.

He even does a Sonic line at the end!

I know he's a good actor dude. No need to convince me. Its just that I prefer RCS fractionally. The two are basically interchangeable to me. I don't mind if its either, because they're both good enough for me.

As for Griffith. Well, like I said, he's better at acting, than he is at voice acting. If any of you have seen the show he's starring in (I can't remember its name), it would show that he's better on-camera than he is on-mic.

@Nepenthe

Yeah your right, the thing is, this topic was started because of me relating to something i posted on those "whats on your mind" things.

When I went to post my own topic similar to this I noticed there was already one, and since it was started because of me I figured Id just speak my mind in it.

I suppose it might be better to just start what is truly my own topic though later on.

@Scar

Okay, just wasn't sure if you had heard that.

I can totally see griffith being a better on camera actor.

I still just wish that sega would say SOMETHING acknowledging drummond, or maybe do a vote or something. idk.

I guess a vote would be unfair to roger and the people that prefer him but Ryan was there first, and was unfairly replaced without warning.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Tiranno

I hate to admit it, but that is very true.

I think the biggest shot Ryan has at coming back is if they did a SA3, and it was a one more game type of thing.

True, but like I said, i still feel like even if its a small shot, if SA3 is ever announced its a better chance than just your other run of the mill sonic game.

I actually do think Sega was considering Ryans Return a while back but thats when the fan base started splitting and people started going WAY overboard about wanting Ryan back, so people started to get pissed and side with Jason. Ive literally talked to people that have admitted they just said they liked Jason better to avoid confrontation, or just because he gets so much hate already.

But yeah, obviously as of right now Ryan is not on the cards, and probably never will be again.

But I can dream.

And as i stated, I do like Roger a hell of allot.

You got to wonder if they even CONSIDERED Ryan again back when Jason was canned.

It feels like I posted this a million times. =/

In truth, each of the voice actors have their ups and downs. But, I have to give it to Roger, because of one simple thing - he's exactly what I'd picture Sonic could sound like before I even heard the voice. Heroic, casual, lively and confident. But, it caught me off guard at first to be honest. I'm so used to hearing a high pitched nasally voice coming out of Sonic's mouth. Honestly, his voice is just the tone that let people relate to the character, while most non-Sonic fans I've seen duck and cover when it comes to the others like Jaleel White (though I do think Jaleel does an excellent job. Not how I pictured the character, but played him pretty well). Annnnnnnnd also, I really don't care what SEGA or anyone says about his voice, I really, really don't hear "old" from his voice. All I hear is a deep teenager voice. Heck, I know some teenagers with deeper voices than his Sonic. But yeah...to top it off, he's the only actor that made me sit back and watch Sonic be Sonic without worrying about the quality of the voice acting and I hope SEGA keeps him for years to come.

As for Ryan Drummond, I'm mixed with. I like his voice for Sonic in Sonic Adventure, liked his performance in Sonic Adventure 2 and he's got the energy for the character. But, as far as acting goes he's pretty inconsistent at best. After SA2, it almost feels like he's yelling out every line in the script. It gets pretty grating.

As for Jason Griffith, I don't particularly think he did a bad job after he ditched that ridiculous uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup and dooooooooooooown speech pattern. But, at the same time, his voice was just...I dunno, boring on the character. He just sounds so mellow. But, I don't think he's a particularly bad actor. He's proven so in other projects like Kurokami (...which received a better dub than it deserved) and the 2001 TMNT series. But, for Sonic, he just didn't click.

And I guess I'll address Junichi Kanemaru while I'm at it. He's Sonic for this long for a good reason - he's good. But, I'm really not a fan of this whole "Hey, kids! Engrish is cool." gimmick he keeps putting on. I know some find it cute. But, meh. I won't count it against him though, since it's so small. I do enjoy his Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I remember, back when the VA change was speculated a member here at SSMB stated "They considered Ryan". Makes me a little upset to wonder why didn't they? As long as Sega continues to make GOOD games like Generations I think the franchise is okay but to me, Roger/Jason in a Sonic game is the equivalent of having a T-Bone steak dinner but with a fly constantly buzzing around you taking away the joy of the meal. Granted, I'm at least thankful they have added JPN voices option.

Oh come on, that's like saying Roger is bad. Which is he isn't. He may not be your preference, but by no means is he a bad actor.

Ryan Drummond's SA1 performance may have been pitifully poor, but it didn't annoy me, let alone ruin the experience.