Sign in to follow this  
Nepenthe

Voice Actors

Sonic grunted enough in Sonic Adventure and made other voice effects when doing things. He'd grunt when he picked up an item/Chao, he'd grunt if he threw an item/Chao, he'd grunt if he put down an item/Chao, he'd vocalise if he fell down after running into something and he'd also say "READY! GO!" whilst charging and doing a Light Speed Attack/Light Speed Dash. And all of these vocalizations sounded arguably identical/more forced to/than the grunts/vocalizations performed by other voice actors.

When Sonic grunted in SA/SA2/SH they were very small grunts compared to Jason/Roger "HA!". I believe this is turning into a nitpicking topic now, so I think the defense should rest.

I'm sorry but, you make it seem like all anime voice actors don't care, don't give it their all, or are just a bunch of douches.(even

No its not like that at all! I'm saying that dubbing is much MUCH easier than having to actually make up the emotions for the character.

In quite a few classes, we were shown an anime that had been dubbed in the past but didn't have any audio. It was our job to convey the emotion of the character and say the dialogue to match the lips. That is easy stuff compared to reading a script and having to be directed. Roger and co are mostly anime dubbers and lack the fun and bounce that most non-dubbing VA's have. I love creating the voice for a character, not use a stock voice.

Edited by Tiranno

I would just like to bring up that the best voice actor for Sonic was featured in only one underrated classic:

Edited by Tobbii

@ Scar

NO, i prefer drummond because I like his voice the best.

I also grew up with Jaleel White, but as i said he never voiced in the games.

Were talking about the games here.

You are starting to do something that i am greatly apposed to, you are starting to state things as if they are fact, when they are not.

"Sonic adventure had woeful acting"

Thats a matter of opinion.

I personally thought the acting was REALLY good in that game especially considering the way it was dubbed and the script and lip syncing issues.

Btw, ive stated this already, but I LOVE roger craig smiths sonic also.

This is totally wrong

"Also the voice doesn't affect the series at all, because ALL of the cutscenes are skippable. If it bugs you SO much, then just don't watch the cutscenes."

I personally DO NOT play the game just for the gameplay, ever since SA the Sonic games have been LARGELY about characte development and story telling also, and thats part of what made them so great to me. It simply is not as fun of an experience to just play the levels, to me, many times that feels like your playing for to accomplish no goal.

Also, Ill use Sonic unleashed as an example because it is the worst offender of this...

SONIC WOULD NOT SHUT UP DURING GAMEPLAY. It totally killed it for me.

Jason had lines almost every few seconds of gameplay.

Even games where he grunts allot would kill it for me.

Some people are just far more sensetive to sound.

No its not like that at all! I'm saying that dubbing is much MUCH easier than having to actually make up the emotions for the character.

In quite a few classes, we were shown an anime that had been dubbed in the past but didn't have any audio. It was our job to convey the emotion of the character and say the dialogue to match the lips. That is easy stuff compared to reading a script and having to be directed. Roger and co are mostly anime dubbers and lack the fun and bounce that most non-dubbing VA's have. I love creating the voice for a character, not use a stock voice.

Oh ok then cool. :P In that case, Anime dubbing is pretty easy when you look at it that way.

Carry on. :v

Edited by Inferno

I already mentioned that one, but it's still strange, isn't it?

LOL, I ALMOST like the Sonic Schoolhouse voice better than griffith.

Nice cat btw.

Edited by TheDanimator

I would just like to bring up that the best voice actor for Sonic was featured in only one underrated classic:

ohsnap.gif

Also, my friend thought that was Jaleel White when I a kid. He used to go on about how they used the voice from "the show". Good times...but scary times.

Edited by Tiranno

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

This reminds me, did anyone ever figure out who was Sonic's voice in Sonic Schoolhouse?

Nice cat btw.

Thank you ^_^

Edited by TwoTailedFox

The sole voice credits to that piece of software go to a "Meg Inglima" so like Sonic CD, it appears that Sonic was voiced by a woman :mellow:

I was just about to write that, yeah Meg Inglima is the only voice actress listed. her voice was probably distorted to both Sonic and the Clock.

The sole voice credits to that piece of software go to a "Meg Inglima" so like Sonic CD, it appears that Sonic was voiced by a woman :mellow:

I was just about to write that, yeah Meg Inglima is the only voice actress listed. her voice was probably distorted to both Sonic and the Clock.

So, Sonic has been voiced by a woman twice? That's 2 more times than I ever expected :huh: And 3, if you count that one from Sonic Live in Sydney. (I think it was Paula Arundell?)

So you prefer Drummond because of Nostalgia.

Why can't you just say that. Objectively, RCS is a far better actor. Drummond has value because he was Sonic's first voice actor, meaning he played part in your childhood. However, think about it this way. Jaleel White was somebody's childhood Sonic. Griffith was somebody's childhood Sonic and RCS undoubtedly will be somebody's childhood Sonic.

Also SA1 had some truely woeful acting in it. The abominable script didn't help things either.

Exactly what needed to be said. As much as I liked Drummond, just because he was the first main voice actor for game-Sonic doesn't mean he automatically has rights or precedence over the others.

Also the voice doesn't affect the series at all, because ALL of the cutscenes are skippable. If it bugs you SO much, then just don't watch the cutscenes.

Though I have to disagree with this. Skipping cutscenes doesn't solve the problem for people who actually want to know what's going on in the story.

That's what wiki sites are for, DC!

And I know the subject of dubbing is probably a dead horse, but I'm curious: Don't Japanese voice actors essentially dub their lines? As I understand it, the standard practice of creating a show over there is to actually finish the animation first, then have the voice actors try to time their dialogue as perfectly as possible. If that's true and we're going to devalue the talent of western anime/game voice actors because dubbing is easy as to warrant no effort, aren't you also saying that the entire Japanese voice acting industry is completely devoid of talent? Wouldn't this also be a slight against Ryan's performance as Sonic too? He didn't perform to western conventions where he had to do all of the acting first. He dubbed his lines over the cutscenes, so why does he get a free pass and Jason and Roger don't?

I don't know. This equation that dubbing is indicative of the talent of a voice actor is a huge slippery slope to me.

Edited by Nepenthe

And I know the subject of dubbing is probably a dead horse, but I'm curious: Don't Japanese voice actors essentially dub their lines? As I understand it, the standard practice of creating a show over there is to actually finish the animation first, then have the voice actors try to time their dialogue as perfectly as possible. If that's true and we're going to devalue the talent of western anime/game voice actors because dubbing is easy as to warrant no effort, aren't you also saying that the entire Japanese voice acting industry is completely devoid of talent? Wouldn't this also be a slight against Ryan's performance as Sonic too? He didn't perform to western conventions where he had to do all of the acting first. He dubbed his lines over the cutscenes, so why does he get a free pass and Jason and Roger don't?

I don't know. This equation that dubbing is indicative of the talent of a voice actor is a huge slippery slope to me.

It's true. That's pretty much a standard practice in most anime.

I prefer Sonic's Japanese voice first and foremost.

As for the English voices, I think that Roger is a better actor than both Ryan and Jason, and between Ryan and Jason I don't have much of a preference.

I forgot about this...

Yeah, this is pretty much what they do. Animation's pretty much completed, and they usually dub over it afterwards. Another thing to mention is they all do it together at the same time. Must be quicker.

Edited by Inferno

I just noticed something: Tomokazu Seki (Japanese voice of the Werehog, if you weren't paying attention) is the Japanese voice of Ezio, who is voiced by Roger Craig Smith in English.

Holy shit, really?

Holy shit, really?

According to Wikipedia, yes, yes he is. Although, maybe I'm just weird, but I don't find what's so strange? If RCS had voiced the Werehog, yeah, I would find that interesting. But he didn't.