Awoo.

Voice Actors

Nepenthe

I think the games should use Jaleel White, I think the much asked for Sonic movie should use Jaleel White, I think the comics should use Jaleel White! I at least want a cool new plushie like this lil' guy with Jaleel White's voice. Please Mr. SEGA?

Edited by dirupti

@SonikkuGenesis89

Your a man that knows what hes talking about.

I agree with 99% of what you said.

SonikkuGenesis89 is a female. >.>;

• Thumbs Up 1

It still disgusts me how Sega could just throw away someone as talented as Ryan for virtually NO REASON.

Back then, there were NO VOICE WARS, 99 percent of people were content with the voices.

Thats because there were no people who grew up playing Sonic Next gen and Riders and stuff.

99 percent of people back then seemed to agree, Drummond did great as Sonic.

I still say the man deserves the Role back, I just cant get over how screwed up it is to give someone a role that well known, and just take it away from them for virtually no reason.

I mean they had reasons, but they were stupid.

With Jason its different, 50 percent of people seem to dislike his voice so thats actually a GOOD reason to replace him.

Ive also heard people saying...

Drummond cant voice Sonic because he died, or because he quit, or because he doesnt want to anymore...

All LIES. Lol.

Sonic is still on his top friends on Myspace...

In 2008, he said he would go back to voicing sonic in a heartbeat.

He even had a meeting with someone from Sega about it.

Rogers great, but for the love of christ, they should of just stuck with the original cast from the beginning. That would of also been more consistent with the Japanese versions. Less people would of been hurt, and there would be virtually no voice wars.

IMO this is STILL an issue, and its STILL something they should correct.

I know its unrealistic but I dont care, I stand for whats right. Not for what is more realistic.

I mean sure, if they got Drummond back allot of people would still be saying I MISS ROGER or JASON GRIFFITH!

Well i got news for you guys, Drummond was there first... and back when he voiced Sonic there was virtually no complaining.

I dont care that its been like 8 years, Ill stick with this opinion until the day I die, Ive thought a shitload about it.

SonikkuGenesis89 is a female. >.>;

LMAO

So she is, so she is...

Sorry, I tend to forget there are female gamers also.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 6

It still disgusts me how Sega could just throw away someone as talented as Ryan for virtually NO REASON.

Back then, there were NO VOICE WARS, 99 percent of people were content with the voices.

Thats because there were no people who grew up playing Sonic Next gen and Riders and stuff.

99 percent of people back then seemed to agree, Drummond did great as Sonic.

I still say the man deserves the Role back, I just cant get over how screwed up it is to give someone a role that well known, and just take it away from them for virtually no reason.

I mean they had reasons, but they were stupid.

With Jason its different, 50 percent of people seem to dislike his voice so thats actually a GOOD reason to replace him.

Ive also heard people saying...

Drummond cant voice Sonic because he died, or because he quit, or because he doesnt want to anymore...

All LIES. Lol.

Sonic is still on his top friends on Myspace...

In 2008, he said he would go back to voicing sonic in a heartbeat.

He even had a meeting with someone from Sega about it.

Rogers great, but for the love of christ, they should of just stuck with the original cast from the beginning. That would of also been more consistent with the Japanese versions. Less people would of been hurt, and there would be virtually no voice wars.

IMO this is STILL an issue, and its STILL something they should correct.

I know its unrealistic but I dont care, I stand for whats right. Not for what is more realistic.

I mean sure, if they got Drummond back allot of people would still be saying I MISS ROGER or JASON GRIFFITH!

Well i got news for you guys, Drummond was there first... and back when he voiced Sonic there was virtually no complaining.

I dont care that its been like 8 years, Ill stick with this opinion until the day I die, Ive thought a shitload about it.

LMAO

So she is, so she is...

Sorry, I tend to forget there are female sonic fans also.

Dude seriously you're beating a dead horse now, get over it, he's not coming back. The same thing happened to Griffith too, so Drummond isn't the only victim.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Shadic

Ill beat a dead horse until the end if its WHAT I FEEL IS RIGHT.

And yes, I have some sympathy for Griffith and Griffith fans.

But if I was Griffith I would of done some research on who I was replacing and when I found out about the injustice i was supporting I would of quit and said...

"You should get the old guy back."

Also, do you realize that I am the reason this thread started?

I feel I have a bit of a right to speak my mind considering this...

I was going to start MY OWN voice thread but then I saw that this one was started because of me, so I decided to speak my mind in this one instead. I feel if i were to of started my own right after this one was made I would of gotten allot of shit from people saying... "WHY NOT JUST POST IN THE THREAD THAT WAS JUST MADE?"

This was my original post that led to the creation of this thread...

"TheDanimator: I want to make a topic talking about my opinion on why voices are important in the games and why to this day I am still in support of Drummond coming back to voice Sonic. Im afraid I will get flamed though, any ideas on where to post this and how to go about it without getting flamed?"

If you guys all really think I should just make my own topic still I will...

It just seemed logical to post here about this.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Yeah there was complaining back then. A lot of people didn't like the fact that Sonic could talk or they wanted Jaleel White to voice Sonic from the cartoons. I also remember the voices in the Sonic Adventure games and Heroes got criticized and slammed in reviews and people were pissed off when Heroes didn't have no Japanese option. Back then I'd thought that people hated the SA voice cast so I was surprised when I saw how many fans was upset when they got replaced.

Yeah, Ryan Drummond is there first but he and the rest of the SA voice cast is far from perfect and I'm not crazy about Ryan's voice anymore like I was years ago back when Ryan Drummond and the SA voice cast were still new. I quickly prefer Roger Craig Smith over him after listening to his voice work as Sonic in ONE game cause he left that much of a good impression for me. I'm glad that Sega hired talented voice actors with more experience this time around.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Shadic

Ill beat a dead horse until the end if its WHAT I FEEL IS RIGHT.

And yes, I have some sympathy for Griffith and Griffith fans.

But if I was Griffith I would of done some research on who I was replacing and when I found out about the injustice i was supporting I would of quit and said...

"You should get the old guy back."

Also, do you realize that I am the reason this thread started?

I feel I have a bit of a right to speak my mind considering this...

I was going to start MY OWN voice thread but then I saw that this one was started because of me, so I decided to speak my mind in this one instead. I feel if i were to of started my own right after this one was made I would of gotten allot of shit from people saying... "WHY NOT JUST POST IN THE THREAD THAT WAS JUST MADE?"

So basically it was taboo that they replaced Drummond, that's what I'm getting from this.

Alright Danimator, that's enough. I said not too long ago not to turn this thread into Ryan Drummond Central, and I mean it. I made this thread specifically to discuss all of the actors in the series in general, many of whom are just as talented or better than Drummond, not to unearth bitter feelings and old arguments. If you want to rant and rave about Drummond's leaving, please do it somewhere else. Otherwise I'll get a staff member involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did anyone else not notice a difference when they changed the Voice Actors in Shadow?

Kind of, I thought Griffith sounded like an insecure Drummond. I knew about the actor change, but I misunderstood and thought that every game past Shadow would have new voices, not Shadow as well. Then Rouge or Tails spoke and I died a little inside.

Edited by Tobbii

What the hell guys seriously...

Just read my original post...

"TheDanimator: I want to make a topic talking about my opinion on why voices are important in the games and why to this day I am still in support of Drummond coming back to voice Sonic. Im afraid I will get flamed though, any ideas on where to post this and how to go about it without getting flamed?"

This topic was made BECAUSE OF ME!

I was actually under the impression that someone made this thread because I didnt.

Should i make a seperate topic about this?

Please try to understand where Im coming from here...

I was originally trying not to piss people off, in the post that lead to the creation of this thread, so to AVOID pissing people off, i DIDNT make my own thread because i thought they would be upset if I did that RIGHT AFTER this one was made.

NOW people are pissed anyways.

Are you guys trying to tell me it is ILLEGAL here to post about Drummond specifically?

Not illegal persay, but i think you get what i mean.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Kind of, I thought Griffith sounded like an insecure Drummond. I knew about the actor change, but I misunderstood and thought that every game past Shadow would have new voices, not Shadow as well. Then Rouge or Tails spoke and I died a little inside.

I died a little inside when I heard Rouge too,everything else was fine.

If you want to rant and rave about Drummond's leaving, please do it somewhere else. Otherwise I'll get a staff member involved.

I'm going to get a staff member involved right now. Me.

I'm not going to have another VA thread devolve into a whine-fest about voice actors being replaced. It happens. Franchises refresh their voice casts all the time, for various reasons. Sometimes those reasons make perfect sense, sometimes they don't, and usually we'll never know the full story.

You are perfectly entitled to a preference, and to compare and contrast VAs, but whinging about injustice is just pointless and won't change a thing so please stop.

Also, no, it's not okay to make a "Bring Back Ryan" thread, so please do not do it. It will be locked =P

Here are some of the comments I got in respone to my original post...

"Just speak your mind bro."

"Just don't say anything stupid like "Griffith ruined the series"

"You are not alone my friend. I still can't look at Modern Sonic the same anymore. I think voices are a HUGE part of the Sonic character, but it's YOUR preference. I'd support you"

"Post the topic, but don't be rude about it! I love talking about voice actors in general. If you don't, I may just make a general topic about the subject in your stead. ;3"

I did my best to cater to the above comments and try not to piss anyone off.

So you guys are saying I cant speak my mind about one of SONIC VOICE ACTORS in a SONIC VOICE ACTORS TOPIC that was created BECAUSE OF ME?

Thats BS.

EDIT:

Okay, whatever, Ill stop posting about this completely.

I have to say, it does suck though that there are certain topics relating to Sonic that I cannot talk about on a SONIC fan site.

But Im done, you got your wishes.

I love this site nonetheless and its worth it to stop talking about it to avoid further contention.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for letting it drop. I certainly don't begrudge you a first mention of your upset over the decision, but you just weren't bringing anything new to the table and it's a dead-end topic really.

Thank you for letting it drop. I certainly don't begrudge you a first mention of your upset over the decision, but you just weren't bringing anything new to the table and it's a dead-end topic really.

Thank you for your respect (:

I admit I get a little heated while talking about these things.

Im sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, Flyboy. <3

Now on the subject of the cast change in ShtH, me and my friend argued tooth and nail one day over whether or not Shadow sounded different in an early release trailer. You could hear him announce Chaos Control in one of those canyon stages, and we had a huge difference of opinion about whether or not it was David Humphrey. Forgot which side each of us was on, but at the very least we were onto something before Sega laid out the bad news.

When the actual game came out, the difference was night and day. The characters sound exactly like their X counterparts which means they sound nothing like the original cast. While I miss Drummond, that feeling extends to Humphrey too, mostly because he was one of the best actors out of the original cast. He never had to try too hard to bring across any emotions; his own tone of voice and the comparative lack of exaggeration in his lines just made him shmexy. He gave Shadow the ability to sound forceful, introspective, or even laid back without the character ever being too annoying. God, I miss him.

Jason's lack of range carried over into Shadow more times than I would've liked; often, one can hear a bit of Sonic in there which tends to kill any immersion. Plus, yanno, 4Kids acting. From what I hear of the new guy Kirk Thornton, I like his voice a lot but that annoying evil drawl can go die in a fire. He makes Shadow sound high.

Kouji Yusa, like nearly every other Japanese actor in the series, also stands as pretty definitive for Shadow for reasons similar to Humphrey, although I admit he gives a much more stone-hearted performance more often than not. The guy has had very playful and young-sounding roles before, but damn he can make Shadow sound absolutely dead inside or at least completely calculating and objective in a way that can be fittingly off-putting.

And since I was on the subject of David Humphrey,

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually thought Jason did pretty well as Shadow, especially in Shadow the Hedgehog, although I prefer David.

Interesting note: Ryan and David are actually close friends and sing in a Quartet together.

Heres a video of the Quartet, although im not sure if David is in this one...Or if hes even still in the quartet.

Ryans on the far right though.

Edit: Actually I think I was mistaken about David ever being in the Quartet... It was actually a play called "Forever Plaid" they performed in together.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1

David isn't in that particular quartet. You can spot him from a mile away; He's much better looking. =P

Also, Ryan was the one that actually recommended David for the role, so I give him the credit for that. But him and Kouji pretty much tie for me as the best actors for Shadow.

Edited by Nepenthe

Yeah, as i said, I beleive i was mistaken about them being in a quartet together... I could of sworn I had heard that somewhere though...

As for Kouji, I really need to listen to him more to say what I think.

I havent played games with Shadow in japanese very much.

Did anyone else not notice a difference when they changed the Voice Actors in Shadow?

Nah, they all sound the same to me.

Oddly, not at all, and I was one of those who whined about 4Kids replacing the original actors.

And I must say, Jason's voice was a much better fit for Shadow than Humphrey's.

Does anyone have any opinions on fan voices? My favorite is Sonicsong182. She is amazing!

This girl is really good! She sounded like 7 or 8 different voice actors and that was extraordinary. I wasn't expecting that at all! Someone needs to get her to redub video or an actual voice recording agency! ha

Does anyone have any opinions on fan voices? My favorite is Sonicsong182. She is amazing!

She's good, but I HAAAAATED her Rouge.

Heres my Sonic impression which I think is pretty close...

I spent a LONG TIME trying to perfect my ryan drummond impression.

I do a little jaleel also, but its not as good.

And my friend Kyle does a MEAN pollock impression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sg5Dacnh3Q

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 3