Sign in to follow this  
Nepenthe

Voice Actors

The interesting thing about it is that both Tomokazu and Roger have voiced both Sonic and Ezio during their careers, which is enough of a weird set of roles to play that one must wonder what the odds of that having happened even were. Overall though, the voice acting industry seems to be a small world anyways, and certain role connections can be found all the time if you're willing to look into that sort of thing. Or sometimes, certain actors are not only shoe-horned into certain roles, but constantly paired up with another actor that makes a good foil. It's just a fun thing to follow.

Back in the days of my more incessant Sonic fanboyism, I once sent an email to Jun'ichi Kanemaru and got a response from him, and an autograph.

So yeah I'm more attached to him than any other VA in the series, but I still like how Takeshi Kusao was involved once upon a time.

Dude that's amazing, I didn't know Junichi was so involved in the fanbase, he just earned my respect.

Really I like actors who are both good at their job, and are in touch with their fanbase and so far Smith has done both, not that Griffith had a reason to be involved with the fanbase at the time(Jesus), but he and Drummond wern't exactly vocal with their fans.

Smith usually has a few remarks about his role, and even takes a few pics like when he went to E3.

Ryan Drummond used to be my favorite voice actor for Sonic before Roger C Smith came along. I think he does a much better job and I loved his performance in Colors and I'm looking forward to hearing more of what he can do in Generations and future games. I also love the "low" voice that he had in Colors. It makes Sonic sound more confident and cool. Ryan Drummond had giving Sonic a low voice in SA1 and it's the reason why I liked him in the first place so I was disappointed when he heighten his pitch in SA2 and Heroes.

Let's see there's a lot of Sonic voices that I've liked over time. My absolute favorite now and forever voice for Sonic is Junichi Kanemaru he's just amazing, very talented man. He's very good at portraying Sonic and his personality. He can make Sonic sound adorable and funny and also very serious and intense. His voice is deep but not so deep that he makes Sonic sound like he's in his 20's. He to me sounds like the perfect Sonic and the voice suits the character and the characters age perfectly. As for American voice acting I really love Ryan Drummond as Sonic, back in the Dreamcast Era he gave Sonic the attitude and personality that matched his new look.

He really made Sonic sound like a badass teenager with attitude. He got into his lines and everything was believable and good, the only downfall was making things cheesy every now and then. I think his highest peak at voicing Sonic was Sonic Adventure 2. He sounded absolutely fantastic in that game, he got so into his lines that while watching the cutscenes his voice made everything that was happening more believable. He got so into the part that you really felt this was something coming out of Sonic's mouth. In Heroes though his performance wasn't as great in my opinion I don't know how to really explain it but at times he just sounded a little different or off in someway and the cheesy lines did not help. I loved him in Adventure 1 as well. When Jason Griffith replaced him when it first happened I was so damn mad.

I really till this day can't stand Jason's voice as Sonic and felt like he killed my childhood hero in a way. I've always held a huge grudge against Jason as Sonic. He just sounds off, his voice just doesn't suit Sonic at all to me and his poor acting and laughter in Sonic 06 and Sonic X did not help. To be fair I agree he has gotten much better over time, he was great in Sonic Unleashed, I just don't feel his voice suited Sonic's character like at all. I also hate how he over emphasis's certain phrases. I'll admit I really liked him as Shadow however I liked David Humphrey much more. He was able to voice Shadow really well although making him sound really angsty I thought he did a good job. Jet the Hawk though was extremely annoying for me and I hated the character completely until I played Zero Gravity and played the game with the Japanese voices.

Jet sounds really awesome and cool minded in the Japanese Dub. I'll admit Jet's new American voice sucks and I'd gladly take Jason back. I like Jason I think he has the potential to be a great actor and just needs more practice and experience. But I just didn't like him as Sonic I really didn't. I didn't feel he portrayed Sonic very well and I felt like the Sonic I knew and loved was a different person. This has nothing to do with Ryan though just to make that clear its just how I hear and interpret the voice altogether it just didn't sound like Sonic to me. Jaleel White is an amazingly talented actor and voice actor and I grew up with his voice as Sonic since I was two years old so of course I love his voice as Sonic.

He did a great job at making Sonic sound like a young fun loving 15 year old boy and also was good at voicing Sonic feeling sad in sad moments in AOSTH and Satam. His voice is very fitting and believable as Sonic to me and I'd love to see him voice Sonic again. Hearing him in the upcoming Sonic Fan Film made me all excited like a little kid, because he still has it and heck now he sounds even more like a young teenage Sonic. I really enjoy his voice he's good at making Sonic goofy, or sad and serious. Martin Burke had really good potential with voicing Sonic in the OVA but the downfall was the extremely nasal sounding voice he was using. I don't know why they had all the American voices sound so nasal like they had a cold in that movie but if Martin lost the nasal he probably would've sounded really good as Sonic.

I love Roger Craig Smith's voice as Sonic I think his voice also suits the character well. He's a talented actor with a lot of experience and range. I've heard him do more higher pitched voices along with lower pitched he can really go anywhere. A lot of people I know think he makes Sonic sound to old but I think he sounds great and in Generations from what I could hear from Modern's gameplay he's improved a lot as Sonic since Colours. It sounds like he made the voice a little bit more higher pitched and I think he hit the perfect spot where he makes Sonic sound like a young 15 year old boy while also still sounding mature. I really liked Masami Kikuchi in the Japanese Dub of Sonic OVA he's right there in 2nd place next to Junichi.

What's funny is they sound somewhat alike too. He also gave Sonic a certain attitude and the voice suited the character and his age quite well in my opinion. He was good at being serious and I loved his voice in goofy segments of the film such as them running from Black Eggman. I'm probably going to be the only person here who will say they love Keiko Utoku's voice as Sonic from Sonic CD. The small sound bits of voice we hear in CD "Yes!" "Yeah!" "Alright!" and "I'm outta here!" sounds like a really good and believable voice for Sonic to me. Sure its not much and obscure but the sound seems very fitting for Classic Sonic to me. I can totally hear a full sentence or conversation coming out of (Sonic CD Art Styled) Sonic's mouth and totally loving it.

I still wonder if it was drummonds decision to make sonic higher pitched in adventure 2 and heroes.

Although I love higher pitched voices for sonic.

Both Roger and Ryan have pulled off lower pitces.

I would imagine Ryan and co. were subject to a lot of voice direction considering they were dubbing for the Adventures, although since Heroes' animation was synced to English dialogue, they probably gave them all a bit of a longer leash.

But speaking of Heroes, remember that line Sonic says when they reach the Egg Fleet? Something like, "Alright Eggman. Let's get this party started." The way he says it is just so foreboding and badass, such a damn highlight that it makes the teamwork drivel that much more disappointing. And going back through those SA2 voice snippets you posted, I have to admit, his actual acting wasn't as bad as I began to believe it was....

*sighs* Once I get through Unleashed, I may have to revisit SA2.

@SonikkuGenesis89

Your a man that knows what hes talking about.

I agree with 99% of what you said.

@Nepenthe

As I said, I really feel like Drummond is looked at as bad sometimes for totally unfair reasons...

In SA2 the game had REALLY BAD leveling issues, the music would constantly drown out the voices...

One person I talked to described Drummond as sounding Unemotional in this scene at the part where he says

"Ill slam dunk it in there!"

IMO drummond sounds GREAT, but its hard to hear him, which isnt his fault....

How can you hear the emotion put into the a line you can barely hear?

Thats just unfair to say.

I still say anyone who thought Jason did a great job as Sonic simply has some issues with who they think Sonic is.

Ive been a Sonic fan since the VERY BEGGINING, and I just dont see why ANYONE would think Jason captured Sonic. Im truly not insulting people who like Jason but yeah...

And too be fair he OCCASIONALLY captured Sonics personality, it was just rare.

I also hate it when im browsing through Sonic Colors comments and I see people saying...

"I hate it how Sonic is full of himself in this game"

Ive got news for you people, SONIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE FULL OF HIMSELF.

Its part of his personality.

Thats not to say he doesnt care about others though.

Also, based off my experience with people ive talked to, the MAJORITY of people who like Jason's Sonic played a game where Jason was sonic FIRST.

IT IS INCREDIBLY rare that I talk to someone who grew up with Sonic that prefers Jason, although I there are people out there like that. Its just rare.

There is a reason for this.

I think the games should use Jaleel White, I think the much asked for Sonic movie should use Jaleel White, I think the comics should use Jaleel White! I at least want a cool new plushie like this lil' guy with Jaleel White's voice. Please Mr. SEGA?

Edited by dirupti

It still disgusts me how Sega could just throw away someone as talented as Ryan for virtually NO REASON.

Back then, there were NO VOICE WARS, 99 percent of people were content with the voices.

Thats because there were no people who grew up playing Sonic Next gen and Riders and stuff.

99 percent of people back then seemed to agree, Drummond did great as Sonic.

I still say the man deserves the Role back, I just cant get over how screwed up it is to give someone a role that well known, and just take it away from them for virtually no reason.

I mean they had reasons, but they were stupid.

With Jason its different, 50 percent of people seem to dislike his voice so thats actually a GOOD reason to replace him.

Ive also heard people saying...

Drummond cant voice Sonic because he died, or because he quit, or because he doesnt want to anymore...

All LIES. Lol.

Sonic is still on his top friends on Myspace...

In 2008, he said he would go back to voicing sonic in a heartbeat.

He even had a meeting with someone from Sega about it.

Rogers great, but for the love of christ, they should of just stuck with the original cast from the beginning. That would of also been more consistent with the Japanese versions. Less people would of been hurt, and there would be virtually no voice wars.

IMO this is STILL an issue, and its STILL something they should correct.

I know its unrealistic but I dont care, I stand for whats right. Not for what is more realistic.

I mean sure, if they got Drummond back allot of people would still be saying I MISS ROGER or JASON GRIFFITH!

Well i got news for you guys, Drummond was there first... and back when he voiced Sonic there was virtually no complaining.

I dont care that its been like 8 years, Ill stick with this opinion until the day I die, Ive thought a shitload about it.

SonikkuGenesis89 is a female. >.>;

LMAO

So she is, so she is...

Sorry, I tend to forget there are female gamers also.

Edited by TheDanimator

It still disgusts me how Sega could just throw away someone as talented as Ryan for virtually NO REASON.

Back then, there were NO VOICE WARS, 99 percent of people were content with the voices.

Thats because there were no people who grew up playing Sonic Next gen and Riders and stuff.

99 percent of people back then seemed to agree, Drummond did great as Sonic.

I still say the man deserves the Role back, I just cant get over how screwed up it is to give someone a role that well known, and just take it away from them for virtually no reason.

I mean they had reasons, but they were stupid.

With Jason its different, 50 percent of people seem to dislike his voice so thats actually a GOOD reason to replace him.

Ive also heard people saying...

Drummond cant voice Sonic because he died, or because he quit, or because he doesnt want to anymore...

All LIES. Lol.

Sonic is still on his top friends on Myspace...

In 2008, he said he would go back to voicing sonic in a heartbeat.

He even had a meeting with someone from Sega about it.

Rogers great, but for the love of christ, they should of just stuck with the original cast from the beginning. That would of also been more consistent with the Japanese versions. Less people would of been hurt, and there would be virtually no voice wars.

IMO this is STILL an issue, and its STILL something they should correct.

I know its unrealistic but I dont care, I stand for whats right. Not for what is more realistic.

I mean sure, if they got Drummond back allot of people would still be saying I MISS ROGER or JASON GRIFFITH!

Well i got news for you guys, Drummond was there first... and back when he voiced Sonic there was virtually no complaining.

I dont care that its been like 8 years, Ill stick with this opinion until the day I die, Ive thought a shitload about it.

LMAO

So she is, so she is...

Sorry, I tend to forget there are female sonic fans also.

Dude seriously you're beating a dead horse now, get over it, he's not coming back. The same thing happened to Griffith too, so Drummond isn't the only victim.

@Shadic

Ill beat a dead horse until the end if its WHAT I FEEL IS RIGHT.

And yes, I have some sympathy for Griffith and Griffith fans.

But if I was Griffith I would of done some research on who I was replacing and when I found out about the injustice i was supporting I would of quit and said...

"You should get the old guy back."

Also, do you realize that I am the reason this thread started?

I feel I have a bit of a right to speak my mind considering this...

I was going to start MY OWN voice thread but then I saw that this one was started because of me, so I decided to speak my mind in this one instead. I feel if i were to of started my own right after this one was made I would of gotten allot of shit from people saying... "WHY NOT JUST POST IN THE THREAD THAT WAS JUST MADE?"

This was my original post that led to the creation of this thread...

"TheDanimator: I want to make a topic talking about my opinion on why voices are important in the games and why to this day I am still in support of Drummond coming back to voice Sonic. Im afraid I will get flamed though, any ideas on where to post this and how to go about it without getting flamed?"

If you guys all really think I should just make my own topic still I will...

It just seemed logical to post here about this.

Edited by TheDanimator

Yeah there was complaining back then. A lot of people didn't like the fact that Sonic could talk or they wanted Jaleel White to voice Sonic from the cartoons. I also remember the voices in the Sonic Adventure games and Heroes got criticized and slammed in reviews and people were pissed off when Heroes didn't have no Japanese option. Back then I'd thought that people hated the SA voice cast so I was surprised when I saw how many fans was upset when they got replaced.

Yeah, Ryan Drummond is there first but he and the rest of the SA voice cast is far from perfect and I'm not crazy about Ryan's voice anymore like I was years ago back when Ryan Drummond and the SA voice cast were still new. I quickly prefer Roger Craig Smith over him after listening to his voice work as Sonic in ONE game cause he left that much of a good impression for me. I'm glad that Sega hired talented voice actors with more experience this time around.

Edited by sonfan1984

@Shadic

Ill beat a dead horse until the end if its WHAT I FEEL IS RIGHT.

And yes, I have some sympathy for Griffith and Griffith fans.

But if I was Griffith I would of done some research on who I was replacing and when I found out about the injustice i was supporting I would of quit and said...

"You should get the old guy back."

Also, do you realize that I am the reason this thread started?

I feel I have a bit of a right to speak my mind considering this...

I was going to start MY OWN voice thread but then I saw that this one was started because of me, so I decided to speak my mind in this one instead. I feel if i were to of started my own right after this one was made I would of gotten allot of shit from people saying... "WHY NOT JUST POST IN THE THREAD THAT WAS JUST MADE?"

So basically it was taboo that they replaced Drummond, that's what I'm getting from this.

Alright Danimator, that's enough. I said not too long ago not to turn this thread into Ryan Drummond Central, and I mean it. I made this thread specifically to discuss all of the actors in the series in general, many of whom are just as talented or better than Drummond, not to unearth bitter feelings and old arguments. If you want to rant and rave about Drummond's leaving, please do it somewhere else. Otherwise I'll get a staff member involved.

Did anyone else not notice a difference when they changed the Voice Actors in Shadow?

Kind of, I thought Griffith sounded like an insecure Drummond. I knew about the actor change, but I misunderstood and thought that every game past Shadow would have new voices, not Shadow as well. Then Rouge or Tails spoke and I died a little inside.

Edited by Tobbii

What the hell guys seriously...

Just read my original post...

"TheDanimator: I want to make a topic talking about my opinion on why voices are important in the games and why to this day I am still in support of Drummond coming back to voice Sonic. Im afraid I will get flamed though, any ideas on where to post this and how to go about it without getting flamed?"

This topic was made BECAUSE OF ME!

I was actually under the impression that someone made this thread because I didnt.

Should i make a seperate topic about this?

Please try to understand where Im coming from here...

I was originally trying not to piss people off, in the post that lead to the creation of this thread, so to AVOID pissing people off, i DIDNT make my own thread because i thought they would be upset if I did that RIGHT AFTER this one was made.

NOW people are pissed anyways.

Are you guys trying to tell me it is ILLEGAL here to post about Drummond specifically?

Not illegal persay, but i think you get what i mean.

Edited by TheDanimator

Kind of, I thought Griffith sounded like an insecure Drummond. I knew about the actor change, but I misunderstood and thought that every game past Shadow would have new voices, not Shadow as well. Then Rouge or Tails spoke and I died a little inside.

I died a little inside when I heard Rouge too,everything else was fine.

If you want to rant and rave about Drummond's leaving, please do it somewhere else. Otherwise I'll get a staff member involved.

I'm going to get a staff member involved right now. Me.

I'm not going to have another VA thread devolve into a whine-fest about voice actors being replaced. It happens. Franchises refresh their voice casts all the time, for various reasons. Sometimes those reasons make perfect sense, sometimes they don't, and usually we'll never know the full story.

You are perfectly entitled to a preference, and to compare and contrast VAs, but whinging about injustice is just pointless and won't change a thing so please stop.

Also, no, it's not okay to make a "Bring Back Ryan" thread, so please do not do it. It will be locked =P

Here are some of the comments I got in respone to my original post...

"Just speak your mind bro."

"Just don't say anything stupid like "Griffith ruined the series"

"You are not alone my friend. I still can't look at Modern Sonic the same anymore. I think voices are a HUGE part of the Sonic character, but it's YOUR preference. I'd support you"

"Post the topic, but don't be rude about it! I love talking about voice actors in general. If you don't, I may just make a general topic about the subject in your stead. ;3"

I did my best to cater to the above comments and try not to piss anyone off.

So you guys are saying I cant speak my mind about one of SONIC VOICE ACTORS in a SONIC VOICE ACTORS TOPIC that was created BECAUSE OF ME?

Thats BS.

EDIT:

Okay, whatever, Ill stop posting about this completely.

I have to say, it does suck though that there are certain topics relating to Sonic that I cannot talk about on a SONIC fan site.

But Im done, you got your wishes.

I love this site nonetheless and its worth it to stop talking about it to avoid further contention.

Edited by TheDanimator

Thank you for letting it drop. I certainly don't begrudge you a first mention of your upset over the decision, but you just weren't bringing anything new to the table and it's a dead-end topic really.

Thank you for letting it drop. I certainly don't begrudge you a first mention of your upset over the decision, but you just weren't bringing anything new to the table and it's a dead-end topic really.

Thank you for your respect (:

I admit I get a little heated while talking about these things.

Im sorry.