Sign in to follow this  
Nepenthe

Voice Actors

Thank you, Flyboy. <3

Now on the subject of the cast change in ShtH, me and my friend argued tooth and nail one day over whether or not Shadow sounded different in an early release trailer. You could hear him announce Chaos Control in one of those canyon stages, and we had a huge difference of opinion about whether or not it was David Humphrey. Forgot which side each of us was on, but at the very least we were onto something before Sega laid out the bad news.

When the actual game came out, the difference was night and day. The characters sound exactly like their X counterparts which means they sound nothing like the original cast. While I miss Drummond, that feeling extends to Humphrey too, mostly because he was one of the best actors out of the original cast. He never had to try too hard to bring across any emotions; his own tone of voice and the comparative lack of exaggeration in his lines just made him shmexy. He gave Shadow the ability to sound forceful, introspective, or even laid back without the character ever being too annoying. God, I miss him.

Jason's lack of range carried over into Shadow more times than I would've liked; often, one can hear a bit of Sonic in there which tends to kill any immersion. Plus, yanno, 4Kids acting. From what I hear of the new guy Kirk Thornton, I like his voice a lot but that annoying evil drawl can go die in a fire. He makes Shadow sound high.

Kouji Yusa, like nearly every other Japanese actor in the series, also stands as pretty definitive for Shadow for reasons similar to Humphrey, although I admit he gives a much more stone-hearted performance more often than not. The guy has had very playful and young-sounding roles before, but damn he can make Shadow sound absolutely dead inside or at least completely calculating and objective in a way that can be fittingly off-putting.

And since I was on the subject of David Humphrey,

I actually thought Jason did pretty well as Shadow, especially in Shadow the Hedgehog, although I prefer David.

Interesting note: Ryan and David are actually close friends and sing in a Quartet together.

Heres a video of the Quartet, although im not sure if David is in this one...Or if hes even still in the quartet.

Ryans on the far right though.

Edit: Actually I think I was mistaken about David ever being in the Quartet... It was actually a play called "Forever Plaid" they performed in together.

Edited by TheDanimator

David isn't in that particular quartet. You can spot him from a mile away; He's much better looking. =P

Also, Ryan was the one that actually recommended David for the role, so I give him the credit for that. But him and Kouji pretty much tie for me as the best actors for Shadow.

Edited by Nepenthe

Yeah, as i said, I beleive i was mistaken about them being in a quartet together... I could of sworn I had heard that somewhere though...

As for Kouji, I really need to listen to him more to say what I think.

I havent played games with Shadow in japanese very much.

Did anyone else not notice a difference when they changed the Voice Actors in Shadow?

Oddly, not at all, and I was one of those who whined about 4Kids replacing the original actors.

And I must say, Jason's voice was a much better fit for Shadow than Humphrey's.

Does anyone have any opinions on fan voices? My favorite is Sonicsong182. She is amazing!

This girl is really good! She sounded like 7 or 8 different voice actors and that was extraordinary. I wasn't expecting that at all! Someone needs to get her to redub video or an actual voice recording agency! ha

Does anyone have any opinions on fan voices? My favorite is Sonicsong182. She is amazing!

She's good, but I HAAAAATED her Rouge.

Heres my Sonic impression which I think is pretty close...

I spent a LONG TIME trying to perfect my ryan drummond impression.

I do a little jaleel also, but its not as good.

And my friend Kyle does a MEAN pollock impression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sg5Dacnh3Q

Edited by TheDanimator

NICE!

To be honest I kinda liked Jason as Shadow. But after a while he got old and I was ready for someone new to take his spot. David Humphrey was Shadow's best. (this going by the 2 I heard. Know nothing of Thornton) Probably because I grew up with him and he was the one that got me 100% hooked on Shadow being my favorite Sonic series character. I don't know.

Now for Amy. Jennifer Douillard (thank god for Copy and paste) was actually decent as her. She made Amy annoying but kept her kinda sane for the most part. Lisa Ortiz, her replacement actually added alot to her. She gave her emotion and anger. But still kept her sane. She by far did the best Amy Rose in my opinion. I didn't mind her through out her run (SHTH-Unleashed +Sonic X). Like I mentioned, with Ortiz, you actually saw Amy's emotions explode at times when she's mad. I loved that the most about her. I've not heard much of her recent VA, Cindy since she only appeared in like one game (free riders).

I'm sure just about everyone on this forum would agree with me when I say Mike Pollock does a fantastic job and the one and only....EGGMAN! Ever since I heard him in Unleashed I knew he had to stay. Funny and just all around a great VA, Pollock is probably Eggman's one and only VA in my heart. All HAIL EGGMAN!

Sorry couldn't resist. :P

Edited by Eternal Awesomeness

To be honest, i dont think Pollock can hold the candle to Bristow. Ever since i first heard the Sonic characters speak for the first time in a video game in Sonic Adventure, i always liked Eggman's voice the most out of the entire cast. His voice was perfect for Eggman's personality; he sounded sinister and "villainish" but still mostly like a real person. And every now and then, when the scene called for it, he could sound chillingly evil and make Eggman come of as one seriously threatening mofo.

Pollock on the other hand sound way to much like a typical cartoony, always angry supervillain, and i for one just cant take Eggman seriously with a voice like that. The only time i kinda liked Pollock's Eggman was in Sonic 06 where he made Eggman sound a little lower pitched and slightly more like a real person.

@batson

Now that you say that I agree, pollock doesnt seem to be able to capture the sinister side of eggman as well as deem, I knew I liked deem a bit better but I couldnt pinpoint why, this might be it.

I love pollock though.

I'm sorry, but Long John Baldry will always be the greatest Robotnik of all time. Of all time!

Just listen to this monologue:

Edited by Tiranno

And I must say, Jason's voice was a much better fit for Shadow than Humphrey's.

Meh. I have to disagree. Jason's Shadow voice always came across as extremely forced to me. Humphrey made him sound... normal and distinct, rather than a forced angry voice all the time. But then again, I've never been fond of Jason's voice acting because he always made the characters sound goofy instead of natural in my book. Especially the werehog.

Meh. I have to disagree. Jason's Shadow voice always came across as extremely forced to me. Humphrey made him sound... normal and distinct, rather than a forced angry voice all the time. But then again, I've never been fond of Jason's voice acting because he always made the characters sound goofy instead of natural in my book. Especially the werehog.

Hey guys, 

So, I've been thinking a lot on which of the Sonic Voice Actors were the best in the eyes of the community, by  that I mean as in each and everyone's opinion.

Hopefully, a topic like this hasn't already been made.

From what I know, there's been 4 major Sonic VAs.

- Jaleel White

- Ryan Drummond

- Jason Griffith

- Roger Craig Smith

Most know Jaleel White as the first voice of Sonic, from the classical TV shows.

Ryan Drummond was the voice of Sonic in the Adventure Games, and I think Heroes.

Jason Griffith took the role in several Sonic Games from Shadow on till Colors, Unleashed being his last game.

Now we have Roger, who is actually a pretty cool guy. I think it's pretty honorable to mention that he was the first guy to play as Sonic in a movie. I know, Sonic OVA, but I'm talking theater wise. I've actually talked with Roger on Facebook a few times, he's a really cool guy.

So, what's your opinions on all the Voice Actors? Who's your favorite? Why?

In case there's some reason you don't remember them all, here's a video I found on YouTube comparing Ryan, Jason, and Roger. No Jaleel though.

Personally, I'm not sure who I'd pick to be my favorite. I grew up with Jason being the Voice of Sonic, for me anyways, but I really like how Ryan portrays Sonic as being cool and kinda cocky. Roger does a good job, from what I've seen of him already. I think I may need a little more before I can write anything in stone, though. Wish he would have had more speaking roles in Wreck-It Ralph :/ I didn't care much for Jaleel at all. 

How about you guys?