Awoo.

Should we finally cross the goal post for green hill?

KHCast

I'm not tired of Green Hill, but I do agree that they should vary up the first stage more.

City levels too. It almost seems like it's become tradition to alternate between Green Hill and City with each game. SA1 - SA2 - Heroes - ShTH - 2006 - Unleashed* - Generations...

*That one is almost an "inbetween" choice, and the tutorial level being at sunrise was greatly appreciated for "newness" appeal.

I just want more unexpected stage ordering (with a smattering of both familiar and new genres). I would LOVE a game to END with a Green Hill Zone type stage - maybe at sunset or at night to add some "final"ness to it.

This is another reason why Sonic 2 8-bit is super cool for having Green Hills Zone 4th, almost as a "yeah you're doing a kickass job!" reward for getting halfway through).

Edited by JezMM

I'm not tired of Green Hill, but I do agree that they should vary up the first stage more.

City levels too. It almost seems like it's become tradition to alternate between Green Hill and City with each game. SA1 - SA2 - Heroes - ShTH - 2006 - Unleashed* - Generations...

*That one is almost an "inbetween" choice, and the tutorial level being at sunrise was greatly appreciated for "newness" appeal.

I just want more unexpected stage ordering (with a smattering of both familiar and new genres). I would LOVE a game to END with a Green Hill Zone type stage - maybe at sunset or at night to add some "final"ness to it.

This is another reason why Sonic 2 8-bit is super cool for having Green Hills Zone 4th, almost as a "yeah you're doing a kickass job!" reward for getting halfway through).

Sonic Advance 3 had Sunset Hill (or something like that) as the 5th or 6th stage I think.

Sonic Advance 3 had Sunset Hill (or something like that) as the 5th or 6th stage I think.

Only 2nd, but that's still the sort of thing I like to see! Having it as a final stage is a bit more out there, so I don't expect it any time soon.

Only 2nd, but that's still the sort of thing I like to see! Having it as a final stage is a bit more out there, so I don't expect it any time soon.

2nd? Are you sure?

Then maybe my bootleg copy has the wrong order, I'm sure it was much later.

I'm not exactly tired of Green Hill, but I would like to see something new as a first stage every now and then.

Generations on the other hand I'm stoked for simply because of the visuals...I have no idea how they plan to top that.

Generations is the exception for me also, I just think it is becoming generic and predictable which i don't want, it takes away that special feel of nostalgia. Tropical resort I said gave us a breather to a extent . I know it had its references to GHZ but it wasn't as obvious as seaside hill. More GHZ inspired levels should be like that. Every once in awhile it would be nice to see a reference to ghz, but like many have said when they keep putting it in game after game it gets a little tiring. I like how tobbi put it when he said originality before nostalgia.

I always thought of Tropical Resort as being more "city" level than "green hill", even though it had a few green hill references.

I'll say it, I'm mostly bored of it to be honest. It's almost everywhere and over done to death. Sonic Adventure two was great in that GHZ or a wannabe wasn't the first stage. We need more fresh stages in general. Now I'm not saying kill GHZ, but I do wanna go away from it for a while.

I love Green Hill Zone. I love homages to Green Hill. But I do feel like they're using a bit too much.

So the next Sonic game should have a flaming Green Hill for epicness. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Green hill is to Sonic as The Mushroom kingdom is to Mario.

That having been said, move away from the square checkers seriously. Come up with some other unique tesselated soil pattern. Try hexagons, octagons, triangles, or wavy stripes.....anything new really. And why not try some bat-shit insane foliage. Why not have purple leaves or something? Something completely out of the left feild. Make the first stage a little more unique than just Green ____ Zone.

0.jpg

009.png

*smug faec*

• Thumbs Up 5

Green hill is to Sonic as The Mushroom kingdom is to Mario.
That's kind of the problem. While Mario has a wide range of iconic settings and objects to pull from, Sonic has...Green Hill and checkered dirt.

I also would like to note(probably a bit offtopic) that I think sonic adventure 2's green hill zone music remix is better than both classic and modern tracks in generations

You havent heard senoue play moderns live then. Best ghz remix that will ever exist.

Ghz kinda has to exist. Just make it interesting. Sunset hill was a good start. Add some snow or rain like in sonic r to keep it fresh.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 1

Green Hill Zone, or at least checkered hilltops and striped grass, is one of the first things people think of when they think about Sonic. It's not just around for nostaliga, but because it's iconic and recgonizable. The casual Sonic player is more likely to know Green Hill over, say, Death Egg Zone. Yeah, some variety would be nice, but I don't think they should get rid of the checkered hilltops altogether. Remember how Seaside Hill added in those red and white ruins to the mix? Adding some more to the Green Hill formula might help keep it fresh without sacrificing iconic-ness, along with just flat out having something different every other game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kinda tired of it, yeah. It may be a thing that everyone thinks of when they think Sonic, but really, it's been done enough. I'm letting Generations slide because, well, it's going through all of the Sonic history. You gotta have it then. I also let the SA2 unlockable level slide because it was the 10th anniversary game, and I also am ok with Sunset Hill Zone because the music was cool. Other than that? No, try something else SEGA.

Green Hill Zone has become a staple in the Sonic Franchise and a trademark its not so much nostalgia anymore. I think they will be showing it off in some form for as long as Sonic exists. Green Hill Zone I think is rehashed more than any other Sonic Zone because it was the first level of the first ever Sonic game and was very memorable. Sonic is notorious for always having different level tropes and themes for all his games. I don't see the trend ending, we will probably always see some sort of Tropical / Beach like level that has a lot of Green Hill Zone nods in it.

I agree that there is a lot of Green Hill Zone rehashing as of late and Sega needs to tone it down a notch and take it easy. I also have a feeling Generations will be the last time we see Green Hill Zone for a while at least. Personally I am not tired of seeing any Zones rehashed in some form nor do I mind seeing them frequently and really like seeing all the different artistic takes on the Zones.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Green Hill Zone. I love homages to Green Hill. But I do feel like they're using a bit too much.

So the next Sonic game should have a flaming Green Hill for epicness. :P

4C1B8070E2ECE2126474D4_Large.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

4C1B8070E2ECE2126474D4_Large.jpg

It doesn't have the checkered pattern, but it comes damn near close to being a Green Hill Zone on fire.

Something like this would be amazing!

But I agree with most of you. I love GHZ but after seeing SOOOOOO many reincarnations of the stage, ( can't count them on my fingers & toes) I want something different. I don't know put some weather (not sunny 24/7) in there. Some rain, maybe a tree on fire. Something to keep me interesting.

Nah, I'm happy with all the Green Hill references, personally. Although admittedly, one thing I reckon would be even better, is instead of just using Green Hill Zone as a nostalgia trip all the time, to use other classic stages for a change, because they're equally as good and memorable. But of course, Sonic Generation's doing just that, so I'm happy :)

Edited by S o n i c

Over the years Sonic the hedgehog has had many games. While i enjoy lots of them one thing bothers me and that is the stage rehashes. Not all but one theme, and those are the green hill remakes. I was fine with a few but this is out of hand:

Forest_Falls_Zone_BIG.pngHeeeee.jpg

320px-Sa2ghz.png

Art_stg01_04.jpg

Yeah you get what I'm saying there are lots of green hills. I think it's time for Sega to get Original With their beginning stages.(And that doesn't mean using other stages from the games.) SA1, 2, unleashed and even Colors to a extent gave us a breath of fresh air. Nostalgia is great, but we need some originality every now and then.

Well Green Hill is to Sonic as the Mushroom Kingdom is to Mario, honestly I don't mind its constant recurrence and I don't see why they should stop seeing as it has appeared so many times already that it seems like a custom to have stages like Green Hill in the games

I don't know put some weather (not sunny 24/7) in there. Some rain, maybe a tree on fire. Something to keep me interesting.

Yes.

I'd like to see a stage where it's raining, it's excellent for the atmosphere of the stage. Have there been many raining stages? I can only think of White Jungle.