Awoo.

Doctor Who Anime

Doctor Sοnic

I debated just posting this in the existing Doctor Who topic but thought it might get overlooked there.

This is a fan created Doctor Who anime but the quality is so good that you’d be forgiven for thinking it was official. It features the 3rd Doctor and is mainly based on the classic series but there are a few visual references to the new series in there as well. Its about 13 mins long and takes the form of an extended trailer or a sort of Pilot animation, a bit like the ones Sonic X had.

The guy who created it: Paul Johnson is known online as OtaKing has been working on it for four years.

It was first put online a few days ago but was taken down. Fortunately someone else has reuploaded it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doctor Sοnic

• Tobbii

• JezMM

• Blue Blood

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that when Otaking put it up, it's pretty neat. But shouldn't this be in the Doctor Who thread?

I saw that when Otaking put it up, it's pretty neat. But shouldn't this be in the Doctor Who thread?

Like I said, I thought it might get overlooked there as its easy to do. Though thinking about it you may be right. If the mods feel it should be then it can merged with the existing thread.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

The thing about this is that I like stillshots, but I think it looks off in motion. Maybe he should have made "Doctor Who: The Light Novel" instead. xD

This was really great and impressive. You can sort of tell it was made by one guy, but also that it was an absoloute labour of love. The amount of detailed movement he managed to do with that complex level of shading and lighting is amazing. Why was it taken down by the way?

Edited by JezMM

This was really great and impressive. You can sort of tell it was made by one guy, but also that it was an absoloute labour of love. The amount of detailed movement he managed to do with that complex level of shading and lighting is amazing. Why was it taken down by the way?

Its seems it was taken down by Otaking himself. Its believed he is now part of the team making official animated recreations of missing episodes of 'The Reign of Terror' for its DVD release. I suspect that now being involved in official work for BBC, he probably decided not to keep this on his youtube channel, thats my guess anyway.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

Kind of like how Lauren Faust took down her Pony art when Hasbro got in touch with her and FiM started production.

*insert rant about Dr Who and how anime is the only thing that could possibly make it any worse*

And more seriously, just watched the first few minutes of that. For a fan project it's really good. Some oddities in the animation (the mouth movements, specifically at 4:50), but yeah it's good. The art style itself isn't even generic anime. Real spiffy piece of work.

Edited by Blue Blood

At first I was like, oh cool. But then the tits showed up and I was like:

Also, 4:05. VEEEEEEGAAAAAAAA!!!

This was really great and impressive. You can sort of tell it was made by one guy, but also that it was an absoloute labour of love. The amount of detailed movement he managed to do with that complex level of shading and lighting is amazing.

Y'know, if I hadn't read where this came from, I'd have been convinced it was a professional BBC release, made by some top anime company.

The fact it was one fan, working alone?

Excuse me while I just pick my jaw up from the floor.

I agree with Glenn, I'm shocked and amazed that one guy did all of that. :o

The only thing I can find really weird about it is that generic anime girl with the pistol. It just seemed so out of place in something Doctor Who related (mind you, if there WAS an official anime of the series, there'd probably be someone like that).

Also, props for having Jon Pertwee as the Doctor. He's so underrated, that guy.

I had known about this project for a while, having seen his DA after playing The White Chamber (a previous example of this guy's work, and a brilliant horror adventure game as well), but I was surprised to find that he actually finished it. And it surpassed my expectations. The final version of the Third Doctor going Hokuto Shinken on a trio of thugs makes me giddy, among other things...

This is basically Otaking's finest work in animation, and if it is true that he is working for the BBC on a Doctor Who animation project, then the best of luck to him.