Awoo.

Any one else tired of 2d/3d?

thatguyfrom03

I felt colors had limited 3d sections but had excellent 2d. Whats funny is it works both ways for me. When I played as modern sonic in generations. 2d felt pointless with awkwardly basic platforming and I just wanted to hurry up and get back to the 3d sections. I feel as if two different teams made each game, and they should stick to what theyre good at snd market appropriatly. If one is done well the other is usally halfhearted.

• Thumbs Up 2

WHEN YOU PLAYED AS WHAT IN WHAT.

I don't mind 2D/3D but I'd rather they go with the Wii Unleashed approach to 2D/3D ratio - just one 2D section per level sandwiched by a majority of 3D gameplay. Colours really dissapointed me for basically being a 2D game with a handful of VERY into the camera 3D sections. A few levels had respectable 3D sections but very very few indeed. The 2D was still the majority.

Obviously bonus/shorter acts (or games with just acts in general) can have fully 2D acts if necessary, as long as there's plenty of fully 3D acts too.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Then we must break the fourth wall.

*trollface.jpg*

Nah. I actually don't mind the 3D to 2D. It's a nice touch. But if we just go with strict 2D with no 3D whatsoever or vice versa, the same stuff would happen. :P

It would also make the game feel a bit too one-dimensional, IMHO.

Only when they use 2D as a crutch for poor 3D. Generations is attempting to avoid this (at least in City Escape; GHZ's 3D is still shit, so we'll see how the rest of the game goes) so that may not be a problem for long.

Though I wouldn't complain if they separated 2D and 3D completely. As long as they still make games of both, of course...and it may even be for the best, each game focusing on either 2D or 3D rather than trying to balance both.

Frankly I don't mind as long as the 2D sections don't outnumber the 3D (COLORS :angry:) and the 2D isn't a crutch for poor 3D.

I like what they're doing and hope they keep at it, but make the 2D sections a very minor part of the levels, unless they are the primary perspective in the occasional mini act.

When I played as modern sonic in generations...

Did you play it at E3, or are you from the future?

Anyway, I am definitely not liking tunnel platforming Unleashed and Colors had, and Generations to a lesser extent (from what I've seen from Green Hill and City Escape).

Regarding colors, I just feel it was just marketed wrong. It was pushed as "unleashed minus werehog" when it was clearly an experimental, exploration based game. A modern day Sonic CD basically(even with the different art direction).

With generations, 2d in modern is solid, but pointless to me. To casuals, classic looks pointless bc modern has 2d and 3d. To fans, moderns 2d is blatently inferior and once used as a crutch for poorly controlled 3d. I guess, now that 3d has been nearly perfected with alternate paths and good controls, id rather appreciate the potentially best 3d since sonic adventure as a complete 3d game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not at all. It made me like SMG2 more than SMG. Same may be true for SM3DS

All I want is a game like Sonic Colours but PURE 3D. THAT'S ALL I ASK FOR SEGA D:

So... one that half plays itself? I'd say Secret Rings but even that was more challenging than Colours' 3D sections. D=

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding colors, I just feel it was just marketed wrong. It was pushed as "unleashed minus werehog" when it was clearly an experimental, exploration based game. A modern day Sonic CD basically(even with the different art direction).

With generations, 2d in modern is solid, but pointless to me. To casuals, classic looks pointless bc modern has 2d and 3d. To fans, moderns 2d is blatently inferior and once used as a crutch for poorly controlled 3d. I guess, now that 3d has been nearly perfected with alternate paths and good controls, id rather appreciate the potentially best 3d since sonic adventure as a complete 3d game.

I disagree. Unleashed's 2D sections are very much like Sonic Rush, a very well received (which sadly seems to be losing popularity among the fanbase) and critically acclaimed game. Classic Sonic in Generations is nearly identical to Sonic 1 - 3&K, other well received and critically acclaimed games. They're both good in their own right, but they're far too different to simply replace each other. I'd like C. Sonic to get his own side series (i.e. Paper Mario) and replace the Rush series. To compensate for this, the main series games will be just like what we're seeing in Generations' City Escape. Effective use of both in a way that they feel very unique from C. Sonic as well as other platformers.

I disagree. Unleashed's 2D sections are very much like Sonic Rush, a very well received (which sadly seems to be losing popularity among the fanbase) and critically acclaimed game. Classic Sonic in Generations is nearly identical to Sonic 1 - 3&K, other well received and critically acclaimed games. They're both good in their own right, but they're far too different to simply replace each other. I'd like C. Sonic to get his own side series (i.e. Paper Mario) and replace the Rush series. To compensate for this, the main series games will be just like what we're seeing in Generations' City Escape. Effective use of both in a way that they feel very unique from C. Sonic as well as other platformers.

Odd. Theyre obviously similar, but I never got a rush vibe. I cant pinpoint why other than stage flow and mechanics. I just dont feel 2d adds to much. At least to ghz and what ive seen in city escape. Its just 3d mechanics with less exploration. Just looking at city escape, I just think about how much better classic sonic would function in that environment without homing attack and momentum applying to those swinging poles. And how id rather explore more of the massive city in 3d. Probably just me. There just hasnt been as much creativity in those areas compared to colors/classic.

Not at all. It made me like SMG2 more than SMG. Same may be true for SM3DS

lol, its kinda ironic to see Mario adopt Sonic's approach a little when many fans of that series are fine as it is. As for Sonic, I prefer the more balanced 2D/3D ratio found in Sonic Unleashed as it does a better job, imo, with the different perspectives, and provides an overall better feeling of flow, and 3D in the level design. Staying in one perspective for too long can make the whole game feel like that dominating perspective(sonic colors). Sonic Generations seems to be bringing back more balance to the level design in perspectives, while still keeping the "certain perspective for certain parts of a level" design Colors had, rather than the constantly changing perspective Unleashed had that changed every 15 seconds or so.

Yes. 2D in the Unleashed formula is not only a crutch for the 3D, but it's also shit - it wasn't so evident in Unleashed because there was hardly much precision platforming, but Colors' level design uncovered the horrible platforming controls that would inevitably cause deaths just by trying to do any kind of precision platforming.

And I am convinced that the 3D part of the Unleashed formula just CANNOT stand on its own, making the whole thing just fundamentally broken. Jesus, Sonic Team couldn't even fix some things without breaking others. It's just depressing.

Honestly, if anything, I just want Sonic Team to just take the platforming gameplay from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and its sequels and tweak it to suit the fast-paced nature of Sonic better. The Prince does shit on a regular basis that Sonic SHOULD be doing, and yet isn't, and it flows extremely well, and it even had a mechanic explicitly for the purpose of reducing frustration from dying and to try and keep the flow (though the 2008 game doesn't have a limit to how many times you can do this, the Sands of Time games did, and if you screwed up too many times, back to the checkpoint, mate). Hell, it could even compliment momentum-based gameplay perfectly (eg. your speed dettermines how long and far you can run across/up a wall). THAT would be way better than the Unleashed formula.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Bad Quality Post 2

2D in 2D games like Advance, Rush, Sonic 4 etc is OK. In fact, I like 2D, but 2D in 3D games like Unleashed, Colors or Generations (M.Sonic obviously) sucks hard. I said that many times and will say that again: leave 2D to 2D games and 3D to 3D ones. Separate them. When I play a 3D game like Unleashed, I want to have 3D gameplay, not some poor 2D. It just doesn't fit, IMO. And I too want to go past 2D sections asap so I can play awesome 3D sections again.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

With Colors they did it wrong,the 2d overtook the 3d, 2d had too much exclusive stuff,like Wisps,the precision plattforming etc. I like the dynamic shift of Unleashed and Generations so far, neither felt like they were overtaking each other,and shared all the features so to say(plattforming,Multiple Paths). Alot of times, Unleashed neither felt 2d or 3d. Personally I think 2d used in right doses for a 3d game for the sake of Variety is always good. But neither should feel worse or better than the other.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not at all. I love the Colors/Unleashed formula, although the 2D and 3D in SCWii are really segregated. The transitions allow me the opportunity to play both sections simultaneously, and in Generations, they seem to blend together just a little bit more; the 3D gameplay in City Escape has so much to offer.

And fortunately, the formula will likely stay for quite some time, whether some of those who commented here like it or not! It's highly popular among fans as a whole and people outside it, and it's still exciting visually. Fans here were absolutely GIDDY upon watching Sonic boost alone, let alone seeing that awesome truck race again. Keep giving the audience that oomph, and that formula will sucker the crowd in like fish on a bait.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I like it. But to be honest, with Generations already being 50% 2D it feels a bit odd.

Personally, I'm currently finding the 3D sections in Sonic, push a button and win (Sometimes you push other buttons though OOOOOO: ), which is my I like 2D, it gave me more of a genuine challenge. As opposed to not being able to keep up with the game 'cus it was going to fast for me *shrugs*

Hopefully Modern Sonic on Generations will change my opinion of the 3D segments rather than the 2.5D segments.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Nope.

In fact I think it's an ingenious concept. If there's one thing that makes smile, it's seeing the perspective change so seamlessly. All they need to do is balance it out more and keep a reasonable ratio. What the 2D sections do is help break up the action and allow some 2D platforming to provide some variety. I will say I don't like it 50-50 but I'd prefer 80-20.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope.

In fact I think it's an ingenious concept. If there's one thing that makes smile, it's seeing the perspective change so seamlessly.

Yeah if anything Mazuri did it really well, and quite creatively. It adds to the excitement of going through a stage.

I sort of am. The 2D segments are starting to get a tad bit hackneyed. 2D takes much exploration out of the segment, becoming even more linear than before. Yeah, there may be some alternate paths you can jumps to get to, but it'd be much more nicer if the environments were actually open.