Awoo.

Any one else tired of 2d/3d?

thatguyfrom03

Shadow the Hedgehog is considered BOTH a spin-off and a main series game within the series' continuity, so it's not like his point loses any validity on this.

So you didn't mention any of the Mario spinoffs but mention ONE of Sonic's, and then decide to backup this claim by showing a commercial that focuses on the "jump" from the MAIN series Mario games? I'm sorry but you lost me...
Edited by Black Spy

Sorry, but I'll call it a main series game when I see Westopolis in Generations.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I have to call ShtH a main series (as main as any of these games get...) by virtue of continuing the (really stupid) ongoing story line.

Then your argument has been blown to pieces.

goodbye1.jpg?w=450&h=338

"an upgrade to Unleashed" isn't interchangeable with "good". Wow, Sonic changed direction on his own, what, twice?

I still don't get the impression you even know what it is. You're the one who brought up Generations for some reason.

Um, isn't that the same thing? If you keep going right, your gonna hit the goal. If you hold forward, your gonna hit a goal.

If you keep holding right, you're eventually going to come to a wall. If you keep holding forward, you're eventually going to come to wall. The difference is that there are about 3 in each level in Unleashed.

Got nothing else to say, herpa derp, figure it out by yourself, hurr durr derp. :rolleyes:

The destination is not important. It is sufficient to know that where you need to go, is the end of the level. What counts in a platformer, is not the destination, its the journey

I have to laugh at you posting a speed run of GHZ. You have no idea what went into the creation of that route. That chain bounce was an addition specifically hidden by Yasuhara for the experienced player to find, to keep them coming back. Hidden in plain sight.

EDIT: And if any other video game character has been loyal to their past, it would be Mega Man, and Sonic the Hedgehog. Though he has overcome through many changes, no one, and I mean no one, can deny that there's so many nostalgia in the newer Sonic games. Possibly even more than Mario. And thing is: They actually do it right.

Indeed. SEGA has proved themselves capable of using the Unleashed formula to make an excellent game.

And, all this amazing stuff we're seeing in Sonic Generations...

I can't help but think, it's just the beginning.

OK, this is just funny.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

"an upgrade to Unleashed" isn't interchangeable with "good". Wow, Sonic changed direction on his own, what, twice?

Have you forgotten what your argument even was? Here, let me help you:

It mostly just looked like a pallet swap of any Unleashed levels after he dropped the board, really.

Are we sticking to this idiotic claim or are we just going to ditch it and move on to some other stupid argument?

I still don't get the impression you even know what it is. You're the one who brought up Generations for some reason.

I still don't get the impression you even know what this thread is about.

"Anyone else tired of 2D/3D?"

19141625.png

34983212.png

hurr_train.jpg

If you keep holding right, you're eventually going to come to a wall. If you keep holding forward, you're eventually going to come to wall. The difference is that there are about 3 in each level in Unleashed.

If you hold forward and only jump at those three walls, guess what happens? Seriously, guess. Humor me.

OK, this is just funny.

OK, you're just an ass.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Each level, Phos?

There are plenty of moments where not only can holding foward make you come to a wall, but will also get you killed if there are no walls or any other barrier that keeps you within the stages perimeter. And there are also moments where there are NO walls at all, such as Apotos level 3 Daytime stage, but you're on rails the whole time, and falling off of one sends you down the death pit below if there's not another rail underneath you.

Eggmanland alone has more than enough walls to where you have to do more than go forward, and that's not counting the QTEs. Adabat and Empire City have enough moments this as well to where your speed is either halted by a wall or you lose a life for going too far where there is no wall to stop you.

And what about the 2D portions of those levels? If I were to be picky at this, I would point out that you're no longer holding foward during those segments and are in fact holding right as your just said. And even without considering that, the main objective being to "keep Sonic alive until you reach the goal" only serves to show that walls aren't going to be the only thing in your path to avoid hitting as you running through the stage.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys, stop fighting. It is getting ridiculous and is starting to become a flame war. Be civillized and atleast try to debate. In otherwords, acknowledge one another's point without being snarky or firing quips at eachother.

Guys, stop fighting. It is getting ridiculous and is starting to become a flame war. Be civillized and atleast try to debate. In otherwords, acknowledge one another's point without being snarky or firing quips at eachother.

That and I'd hate for people to get striked merely by being involved in heated argument despite not trying to be snarky about it like what had happened when Preston got too oversensitive to the point that mods ended up cracking down on the topic. Even people with good intentions got striked, myself included, so I'd hate for people to be guilty by association over this argument in particular.

Let's not go overboard people.

Have you forgotten what your argument even was? Here, let me help you:

Are we sticking to this idiotic claim or are we just going to ditch it and move on to some other stupid argument?

Being an upgrade over Unleashed doesn't mean this problem was solved. It just means that it's better in this way when compared to the worst offender ever made.

Bonus: It includes the crappy platforming from Colors.

"Anyone else tired of 2D/3D?"

*image macros*

Or maybe you believe this to be off topic, considering that these recent Sonic games that follow this formula are the only ones to do the repeated dynamic 2D/3D business.

If you hold forward and only jump at those three walls, guess what happens? Seriously, guess. Humor me.

I'm talking about a hypothetical change where everything that can hurt or kill the player is removed, the idea being that player still has to do a lot more in the classic games vs. the modern ones.

OK, you're just an ass.

Did you actually read the post I quoted there? I could say the same to you after that piece of work.

Each level, Phos?

There are plenty of moments where not only can holding foward make you come to a wall, but will also get you killed if there are no walls or any other barrier that keeps you within the stages perimeter. And there are also moments where there are NO walls at all, such as Apotos level 3 Daytime stage, but you're on rails the whole time, and falling off of one sends you down the death pit below if there's not another rail underneath you.

I'm talking about a hypothetical change where everything that can hurt or kill the player is removed. I forgot to mention this before, but I'm not including any of the extra acts in this by virtue of not being any good.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

250px-Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Box_Art.jpg

nope.avi

Okay. And? Please tell me how exactly does this ONE game (along with another game we know, yet don't know because it never happened) eliminate what is the true essence of a Sonic game that doesn't involve guns and mildly vulgar language?

I have to laugh at you posting a speed run of GHZ. You have no idea what went into the creation of that route. That chain bounce was an addition specifically hidden by Yasuhara for the experienced player to find, to keep them coming back. Hidden in plain sight.

OK, this is just funny.

Edited by Tatsumaki
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Yes I'm sick of the 2D/3D gameplay.

When I buy a 3-D Sonic game I expect to play a 3-D game.

If they want to make a 2-D game fine, but don't put 2-D gameplay in a 3-D game.

Okay, let's start with level design.

I was in a hurry and honestly couldn't find a Green Hill Zone video. Of course, isn't it obvious? Like any video game, stages are created for speed runs. Especially in Sonic the Hedgehog, where you use speed, momentum, and concentration to make effectively swift platforming. Nevertheless, it still strengthens my point. Sonic 1, though well designed, pales in comparison to wide worlds such as Sonic 3's. Sonic 1 obviously lacks the Spin Dash and Elemental Shields, of which both Sonic 2 and S3&K have.

Sonic 2's physics are nowhere near as good as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, according to the ones developing the fangame, Sonic 2 HD. These know how to do that stuff well, so yeah.

As you can see, the Genesis games are in no way different to Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations. All of them had their development, physics improvements, tightening of controls, additions of new things in gameplay, (Boost vs. Spin Dash, Elemental Shields vs. Wisps) different level designs, (longer, wider, less, more platforming parts, exploration), change in models and art, etc.

What's so funny? That I'm expressing my honest opinion about something that proves itself well in prior events?

No offense, Phos, but I'm in total agreement with some of the posters here. You're coming out as an irritatingly laughable, condescending person. Just because you dislike the Unleashed Formula doesn't mean it automatically sucks, it's broken and cannot be fixed, and we have to go back to the Genesis Era formula or any of those things just because you of all people say so. Even they were imperfect as well.

EDIT: Sorry qbout the double post. I'm on my iPod, and well, fullpage SSMB isn't much good. :lol:

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with where you're coming from here. I'm sorry about all this nonsense that I've mostly caused.

I dunno where to go from here. I still feel like there's some breakdown of communication about about the strange nature of the challenge seen in the relevant Sonic games.

I dunno where to go from here. I still feel like there's some breakdown of communication about about the strange nature of the challenge seen in the relevant Sonic games.

"Breakdown of communication"? Like what exactly, the very things you said before or something else entirely?

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with where you're coming from here. I'm sorry about all this nonsense that I've mostly caused.

We can transfer this debate over to this topic, which was designed specifically for events such as this.

No prob, Phos. You can mention your diaappointments wirh the Unleashed formula, but try not to say not to ignore the common base of the Unleashed Formula and everything that precedes it. :)

We can transfer this debate over to this topic, which was designed specifically for events such as this.