Awoo.

Interesting note about Sonic 4 episode 1 on standard TV's

TheDanimator

For all you standard TV people out there playing Sonic 4 episode 1 I have a a little tip that might come in handy...

Go to your settings on either your Xbox 360 or Wii and change the settings to widescreen 16:9 then play the game.

Interestingly enough, to me at least the game looks MUCH BETTER with these settings on a standard TV.

The screen is Zoomed out and looks much more like the classics and you can even see more of what is around you, this is very obvious on the map screen, you can see more of the map by switching to widescreen settings....

Does this strike anyone else is odd?

Hopefully this helps some of you standard TV players.

Side Note:I personally also think it makes Sonic look a bit more classic because it scrunches everything a bit including his spikes so they dont look as long, which I dont really care about but its interesting.

Edited by TheDanimator

Good to know, Im curious as to how many people already do this...

This might end up being a useless topic but I feel like it is necessary if its gonna help anyone.

I think it is useless yeah, I mean, we all know games are made for widescreen.

Well yeah, but I dont know, this is something I didnt figure out until long after I purchased the game.

I guess I just found it weird that you can actually see more of the game on a standard tv when switching to widescreen mode.

I get allot more enjoyment out of the game like this and I feel like others can too if they didnt know about this.

This might be typical of other games also, but I dont play many other games besides Sonic so maybe im just ignorant about this and its already well known.

Edited by TheDanimator

Well yeah, but I dont know, this is something I didnt figure out until long after I purchased the game.

I guess I just found it weird that you can actually see more of the game on a standard tv when switching to widescreen mode.

I get allot more enjoyment out of the game like this and I feel like others can too if they didnt know about this.

This might be typical of other games also, but I dont play many other games besides Sonic so maybe im just ignorant about this and its already well known.

Why is that weird? All it does is show you what it would show on a widescreen.

It strikes me as odd because I feel like they would automatically set the game to show you all it can show you on a standard TV. I personally think it would of made more sense for them to automatically set the game to 16:9 for standard tv players since you can see more...or do it in letterbox or something (not sure if I used the term "letterbox" properly). I know that probably sounds weird because im saying they should of set 16:9 as the standard for people that dont have a 16:9 TV, but the game just looks so much better and you can see so much more I just dont see why they didnt do it.

Edited by TheDanimator

It strikes me as odd because I feel like they would automatically set the game to show you all it can show you on a standard TV. I personally think it would of made more sense for them to automatically set the game to 16:9 for standard tv players since you can see more...or do it in letterbox or something (not sure if I used the term "letterbox" properly). I know that probably sounds weird because im saying they should of set 16:9 as the standard for people that dont have a 16:9 TV, but the game just looks so much better and you can see so much more I just dont see why they didnt do it.

Well people most often prefer having a full screen over a letterbox.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns both forced the letterbox effect and I've seen little-to-no complaining.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns both forced the letterbox effect and I've seen little-to-no complaining.

Then you haven't heard me. :P

And if Sonic 4 had been as zoomed out as NSMBWii was, then I would have hated that as well.

I totally wish they would have made the game so you can see it all on a standard TV WITHOUT having to turn on widescreen. I turned on widescreen mode after I tried the first level, because I had read somewhere about the game being this way. Still, I find it highly annoying that before playing this game, I need to switch the aspect ratio on my 360. No other game makes me switch to widescreen to be able to play it well.

And every PS360 game that does it gets nothing but complaints.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

@mrroboto

Yeah, thats part of what I find so weird about it, thats why they should of just had widescreen as the default for in-game.

@mrroboto

Yeah, thats part of what I find so weird about it, thats why they should of just had widescreen as the default for in-game.

Why?

Why force people to use letterbox than letting people choose?

That makes NO sense.

Edited by TheDanimator

I was just saying that even for standard TV's that in my opinion they should of used the widescreen as the default for in the game or had a setting where you can adjust it IN GAME, because it just doesnt make sense to me that the default setting would be one where you cant see all of whats going on in the game... like you cant see all of the map, and the default is overly zoomed in.

Thats all i was getting at.

Okay, I think there might be some confusion so im going to clarify.

I booted up my xbox 360 and I selected widescreen settings.

The only game that looks BETTER on widescreen settings is Sonic 4. This is why im saying I feel widescreen should of been the standard on that game, because I have to keep changing it ONLY FOR that inparticular game.

I made this post because I was not sure if other people with a standard TV would be helped by my discovery that you can see MORE OF the map and more of the level when you set your settings to widescreen on a Standard TV.

Im sure other people have figured this out also but It made a big difference to me in making the game funner to play, so I made this post to help people.

Edited by TheDanimator

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I think I need to look into settings like that on my standard TV. 'Cause mine is kind of stretched and so stuff right on the edge are cut off.

Well if you want that then why not just have Widescreen as standard on the console? Then it auto-applies to all games.

• Thumbs Up 1

The issue is not letterbox format. If you have a standard TV and you play Sonic 4 on the X-Box 360's standard TV display settings, you can not see everything that you should be able to see. The game is for all intents and purposes zoomed in. There is no letterbox, it occupies the full screen, but is zoomed in. This makes it very difficult to play, considering it's a side-scrolling game. So if the edges of the screen are cut out, you literally can't see what's coming at you soon enough.

When we switch our X-Box display settings to widescreen, we still do not have letterbox (at least I don't). The game is just squished ever so slightly horizontally so that the whole screen appears on my TV screen. Sonic just looks a little skinnier and his spines don't look as long.

The issue is that the game should have been made to play normally (as in see the whole screen)on Standard TVs WITHOUT having to switch any settings.

The issue is not letterbox format. If you have a standard TV and you play Sonic 4 on the X-Box 360's standard TV display settings, you can not see everything that you should be able to see. The game is for all intents and purposes zoomed in. There is no letterbox, it occupies the full screen, but is zoomed in. This makes it very difficult to play, considering it's a side-scrolling game. So if the edges of the screen are cut out, you literally can't see what's coming at you soon enough.

When we switch our X-Box display settings to widescreen, we still do not have letterbox (at least I don't). The game is just squished ever so slightly horizontally so that the whole screen appears on my TV screen. Sonic just looks a little skinnier and his spines don't look as long.

The issue is that the game should have been made to play normally (as in see the whole screen)on Standard TVs WITHOUT having to switch any settings.

Exactly, thanks a bunch, I was having trouble explaining this.