LoseR

FANGAME --> Sonic Adventure SS (Discontinued)

Hello everyone, and I know that the development of this game is going fairly slow, but it's summer, I'm 15, and I don't want to spend a lot of time on it right now. But I assure though that I still am working on it...

So today I did a few more sketches for level ideas. This time there is three of them.

3stages.png

-The first one is a suburban city type stage for Sonic that has him running on roofs (Rooftop Run was not inspiration.), where you can see more suburbs and a bug city in the background. I probably will have another stage that has you NOT running on roofs though if you're wondering. The building are mostly bricks, and they strangely have roads on the roofs. Many of the building are covered with graffiti and other things like that...

-The second one is a very odd forest/jungle area. Yeah I decided to trash the idea of having the game based around realistic locations, some may be inspired though. This area is made to be Amy's first level, and has lots of trees, vines (some carrying rocks or things for platforms), and other things. This one I wasn't sure what should be in the background, but I was thinking like a temple or jungle type area, or maybe just a forest...

-The last level is an ocean/harbor type level, for Sonic. I really thought I should have a water level in the game, especially since the Adventures really didn't have full-fledged water levels for Sonic. :\ This level is designed to have beach areas, as well as parts were to go on strange looping bridges, and underwater sections. I was thinking of giving Sonic a surfing segment, but I'm not sure if I'll actually do this... The two badniks you see in this sketch are a octopus badnik, like in Sonic 2, and a giant fish badnik. I wasn't exactly sure what I should do for the background of this stage either...

So whatta you think of these? Let me know your thoughts and/or ideas! :D

Edited by Wooly-san

^^ pretty cool.

For background on the harbor level you could take inspiration on sonic cd(water level) and make like a mountain range of volcanoes.

And on the same level on the underwater section you could put something like these.

hydrothermal-vent.jpg

Making some parts of the water dark and then you have badnicks, like the one you draw, using lights trying to get you.

Just an idea to make the level feel different than metal harbor.smile.png

^^ pretty cool.

For background on the harbor level you could take inspiration on sonic cd(water level) and make like a mountain range of volcanoes.

And on the same level on the underwater section you could put something like these.

hydrothermal-vent.jpg

Making some parts of the water dark and then you have badnicks, like the one you draw, using lights trying to get you.

Just an idea to make the level feel different than metal harbor.smile.png

Volcanoes? That doesn't really make sense... But I do like the underwater background idea...

Y'know what I was thinking? I was thinking maybe doing some lighthouses or stuff like that. I went down to the harbor in town today, and now I'm thinking lighthouses might work well in the background...

Edited by Wooly-san

Volcanoes? That doesn't really make sense... But I do like the underwater background idea...

Y'know what I was thinking? I was thinking maybe doing some lighthouses or stuff like that. I went down to the harbor in town, and I thought that might work well for this stage...

Well I was kinda going with the idea of something like the ring of fire in the Pacific, but lighthouses makes sense.smile.png

The demo provided was quite a bit of fun. I assume that further on in development, the levels will be properly textured. One thing I found was that the level for Tails was quite confusing. For example, this part of the level was really confusing for me http://i421.photobuc..._Test_Level.png. The spring there, springs you to a dead-end and the boosts below, make you fall into a bottomless pit. Since Tails' flying is extremely buggy at the moment (since this obviously is an extremely early build), I wasn't able to fly up to the top. Hopefully when the levels are textured, there will be some sort of subtle hint as to which way to go.

There is also a bug I encountered with Tails. When you hold down for about two to three seconds, Tails flies into the air and if he reaches the top, he dies. He will also go through any solid objects. http://i421.photobuc...l/Tails_Bug.png This doesn't occur with Sonic. Also, you need to hold Z to use the tail-whip; tapping it doesn't work, although that may have been intentional.

Playing Sonic's level was pretty interesting too. The light-speed dash was pretty fun and the homing attack wasn't too bad either. Maybe leave a small sparkle after each ring where Sonic used the light-speed dash. It felt really weird using his spin-dash though, since you don't have to hold down. Not that I can't adjust to it, but still, it just felt strange. I'm not so sure about the Sonic Advanced attack though. Since Sonic already has a jumping attack, a spin-dash and a homing attack, the somersault-sliding kick attack just seems kind of redundant. Looks good though!

Sonic's level seemed a lot more fluid to me, although I'm not sure if it's the layout or Sonic's mechanics that made it seem more natural. Tails' level felt more like a stutter, starting and stopping a lot of the time, although I must say that the dash rings were quite fun.

One last thing is about the file-size. Considering there was no audio (other than sound effects) or any real textures, 6.1MB seems quite heavy to me. Maybe have a look at whatever is using a large file size and try to decrease the amount if possible, because when audio is implemented, it's really going to shoot up (unless you decide to use midi.) Likewise with textures.

Anyway, great game so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more sometime in the future.

There is also a bug I encountered with Tails. When you hold down for about two to three seconds, Tails flies into the air and if he reaches the top, he dies. He will also go through any solid objects.

Fixed this very quickly. This was caused by the change of the aspect ratio from the original engine, and I was aware this would happen, so I fixed it for Sonic, but forgot to for Tails.

Also, you need to hold Z to use the tail-whip; tapping it doesn't work, although that may have been intentional.

That wasn't intentional, but was an error in my coding, this is fixed so that it ends (with the power-up for infinite tails spins, which I gave you in the demo) at the end of the spin, if not pressing the attack key...

It felt really weird using his spin-dash though, since you don't have to hold down for very long.

Fixed that statement. But I did this because I wanted to implement the Adventure 2 style attack (Advance attacks are just 2D version of Adventure 2's attacks if you didn't know) but also wanted to have the spindash be more like Adventure one, because the spindash in Adventure 2 had quite a delay. I thought this was a good middle for the two styles...

Oh and yes, later builds will feature the Down+Jump spindash...

One last thing is about the file-size. Considering there was no audio (other than sound effects) or any real textures, 6.1MB seems quite heavy to me. Maybe have a look at whatever is using a large file size and try to decrease the amount if possible, because when audio is implemented, it's really going to shoot up (unless you decide to use midi.) Likewise with textures.

The file size is much smaller now, I had a lot of leftovers from the original engine, so I removed most of them, bringing it down to 4.2MB.

Thanks for the input! biggrin.png

*NOTICE*

A fixed version of the last build is available on the same page of the website blog here.

Edited by Wooly-san

Lags a bit on my comp. The engine your using (Sonic Revival isn't it) is running half the frame rate. I'm guessing it's due to the amount of objects in the levels(but then again, it is a test level). Still, games is still good.

Also, I know your basing this off SA formula but its weird that you can't spin dash with tails. :( Especially when I come to a loop that requires a fair bit of speed.

Lags a bit on my comp. The engine your using (Sonic Revival isn't it) is running half the frame rate. I'm guessing it's due to the amount of objects in the levels(but then again, it is a test level). Still, games is still good.

Also, I know your basing this off SA formula but its weird that you can't spin dash with tails. sad.png Especially when I come to a loop that requires a fair bit of speed.

This is actually created from the "Sonic Revival UNLEASHED" engine. It's pretty much the same thing, but it incorporates the Unleashed style gameplay into it. I would've just used the regular Sonic Revival engine, but this engine fixes quite a few bugs and glitches from the original. I never ran into any slowdown on my computer, and I don't really know what is required for it to work well... Is your up to date? Because mine is, and it may just be your computer...

Also, I thought about Tails spindash, and I may program it in again...

I liked it. Ran fine. Some sections were a tad unclear as to what you were supposed to do. I loved the stop sign that keeps you from barrelling into the platforming section.

Don't worry about the level design, as these aren't official levels, these are juts test levels. I haven't started working on any official levels yet...

I have a question- have you put much thought into the artistic design of the game? I understand, of course, it's not a priority while you're setting up the gameplay, but it just occurred to me.

I was planning to have the art style similar to that of the Advance games actually...

So, just reusing sprites and the like? Fair enough, I suppose. Easiest way.

Not quite... The character sprites are mostly reused, but the items, levels, etc will have their own sprites...

In case you found this bug(or it doesn't happen to you), then don't worry. The Sonic revival unleashed engine has issues regarding enemies.

If you have no rings, they won't kill you. You can lose rings but they won't kill you. Reason (since I'm playing around with the various premade engines), the enemies parent isn't objHurtPlayer as it's parent is objHoming so homing attack can function(that's my guess).

Edited by Chaos Fusion

So... I got some bad news...

The other day, I turned my computer on to find it was cluttered with errors. I (Well my dad) investigated, and my hard drive turned out to be corrupted. How this happened, I don't know...

My point is, because of this, it isn't likely that I will be able to work on this any more. I may be able to recover some files, but I don't know if the Sonic Adventure SS files will be part of those...

Sorry guys. :/

It was fun while it lasted...

Edited by Wooly-san

The other day, I turned my computer on to find it was cluttered with errors. I (Well my dad) investigated, and my hard drive turned out to be corrupted. How this happened, I don't know...

My point is, because of this, it isn't likely that I will be able to work on this any more. I may be able to recover some files, but I don't know if the Sonic Adventure SS files will be part of those...

Just a quick question, just about how much was actually done before the crash?

Should learn you then to never trust your computer's internal drives your allways on borrowed time with them. external drives are the way to go they tend to last longer then internal drives. i allways keep my stuff on external drives and barely keep anything on here. sorry about your fangame and all but if it really was important you would've backed it up on a constant basis. i learned that the hard way...

All data can be recovered btw, its just how much you willing to pay to get it back...

Edited by goku262002

Sorry to hear that. Here's some advice though. Script out your work on paper before you start project on your computer. Trust me I learned it the hard way. I had 3 books of scripts for like 20 comics I was going to write up typed on my computer. Then my hard drive screwed up and now I gotta do three years of work all over again. Point of the story, and it was already suggested, put stuff on another storage device so you can keep working hard on it.

Just a quick question, just about how much was actually done before the crash?

Not that much tbh... With school and all, it takes away majority of the time I would normally spend on the game...

All data can be recovered btw, its just how much you willing to pay to get it back...

I don't have any money to spend on recovery. I have money, it's just I have a lot more important things to spend it on...

I know how it feels to lose important work. sad.png When I used Gamemaker 6, it used to say the files were corrupt, causing me to delete them (especially when they had a lot of work done to them) as I couldn't get them to work again. Then I found out that it was a glitch that was fixed in GM7 and I deleted some of my best work at the time.

Like what others have said, keep it or back it up on external storage devices.

Hopefully, it won't stop you making Fangames

Edited by Chaos Fusion

Thanks for all the support guys.

Although the game, unless something happens, is most likely dead, there has been some MUSIC composed by some of the "3 Team" for this game already. Maybe I'll get that music together, and release it online, if it is okay with the musicians...