Awoo.

Upgrades

Tori Himemiya

Ever since Sonic Adventure we've been able to better Sonic's abilities with these little collectibles called Upgrades. They go from shoes to boxing gloves to feather badges, they always change the character's appearance most of the time. And they also can grant our heroes new powers like the now infamous Light Speed Dash and the ability to dig. These would help out during certain situations and can really help the player. They've lasted for 2 more games before getting dropped.

So in this topic, what do you have to say about upgrades and if they should return. Happy posting!

And yes I'm terrible at making topics. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I want them to return, there were some in Unleashed, but I guess Colours removed them due to Colour Powers.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

The upgrade thing kind of worked with the way Sonic Adventure played, with more exploration in mind. But when you get down to it, the newer 3D Sonic games are very forward focused. I don't think upgrading should be implemented in such cases. It's frustrating to build up a moveset and then lose it for the next game.

It does provide some replay value however, as you can't find certain secrets or quicker paths without them, so going back once you've unlocked a new move to better your score or get a collectible that was once out of reach does seem cool. I think though that's better suited to other optional characters with a unique ability apiece.

I'd like to see them return, I reckon they're useful. What I'd personally like to see though, is more accessory-type upgrades which actually show up on the character, as I reckon Sonic looks amazing with accessories! :D (e.g. like the sunglasses in Sonic Riders, even though they were useless xP)

On the one hand, they give a sense of progression and can open up new routes in old levels, giving you more reason to replay them. On the other, it sucks to start a new file and not have abilities you've gotten used to having, and likewise for a new game (how many times should Sonic have to relearn the light dash?). So I'm kind of on the fence...though I'm leaning towards no upgrades, and giving the characters their full arsenal from the start.

Optional upgrades might be interesting, though. Something like '06's gems, only not shit. Gives the player something extra to play around with if they're willing to go out of their way, without gimping you on a fresh file.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the sense of progression in games like Unleashed(level-up system,power-ups),Colors(colors powers) etc.,adds more replay value and depth,and makes the game better imo.

Edited by ChikaBoing

No, you're not! :)

I dislike upgrades that change Sonic's appearance, or the appearance of other characters. The iconic design of Sonic in particular makes him effective and vibrant in any environment: that cobalt blue, contrasted with bright scarlet and white shoes and large white gloves... start messing with that image, start adding new colours or complex details, and you lose something of Sonic's character. So special gauntlets, multiple pairs of sneakers, etc. etc. are a mistake.

But the idea of upgrades in itself is an important gameplay mechanic, and one I enjoyed in Sonic Unleashed, on the HD consoles. Because if you think about it, the more you run at the gym, the better at running you get. You don't buy a new pair of trainers and suddenly realise you can run three miles per hour faster than yesterday. So the more zones Sonic clears, the more experience he gains at blasting through Dr. Eggman's robotic armies, the faster he becomes. I know, I know... does realism really matter in a videogame about a supersonic blue hedgehog? That's up to personal angle. Personally, I like upgrades, but dislike costume changes, so I'd definitely take notes from Sonic Unleashed, if anything.

lol, you got had to know this was coming...

sorry, couldn't resist. :P When it comes to upgrades, I don't mind as long as they are easy to find, straight forward, and add something to my nolstalgia overtime. Bonus points if it does turn out like some parodies imply.

Edited by the blu blur

Id likem to come back. They always gave me that good sense of accomplishment whenever I unlocked one on those green glowing mantles. They were very fun and exciting to find, and of course added more fun abilities :D

Edited by HyperGogeta

No, you're not! :)

Yes I am. :P

I dislike upgrades that change Sonic's appearance, or the appearance of other characters. The iconic design of Sonic in particular makes him effective and vibrant in any environment: that cobalt blue, contrasted with bright scarlet and white shoes and large white gloves... start messing with that image, start adding new colours or complex details, and you lose something of Sonic's character. So special gauntlets, multiple pairs of sneakers, etc. etc. are a mistake.

I liked the changes in the characters whenever you got an upgrade. I found it to be an interesting twist on the blue blur. I wouldn't mind if those kind of upgrades popped up again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Upgrades in Sonic games grant abilities that I find pretty superfluous. Platformers tend to benefit from having what I refer to as "narrow and deep" control schemes (small amount of abilities that each have many uses), and adding on more abilities tends to not fit in very well with that kind of thing.

Within the context of Unleashed, the leveling up business made sense, but this was mostly because of things that I'd rather not see return.

I find them very superflous. All I need is jump, boost/spindash to get by. I find the stomp, lightdash and wall jump more of a chore to use

It's actually somewhat the opposite of real life, seeing as you can just eat chili dogs to gain exp when they really should be making you slower and fatter :P

Shhh. You'll ruin the chilidog business in these difficult times. Then what will Sonic eat?! :lol:

Two words: Elemental Shields.

They just work, and there's a lot of creativity I can see in them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love for them to return. I loved them in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and had a sense of thrill and accomplishment when finding them in Adventure fields or levels. I would go out of my way to search for them and see if I found them all for each character. The upgrades are fun and add replay-ability to the levels for new routes and hidden areas you couldn't find or reach before. I agree I don't want Sonic and friends images to change but if its something subtle like in Adventure 1 and 2 where it was a wrist watch or something added to a head band like a feather its fine.

Plus some of the gadgets made Sonic look more sexy in my opinion and I loved his stylish gear he wore in Riders even if it was useless and for the looks like his glasses. :P I have mixed feelings for upgrades that are required in order to progress in a game like the Unleashed system because it could either be frustrating making it harder to progress or if upgraded wrong screw you over big time and you'll be stuck. If subtle then yes by all means I'd like to see them but if its like ground breaking and making it impossible to progress without them or something then I wouldn't be happy with them at all.

I too would absolutely love to see the return of old Classic upgrades like Elemental Shields from Sonic 3 and Knuckles. They were unique and added a little something extra to the game play. Such as the bubble helping to keep Sonic from drowning. Electric Shield acting as a magnet to collect rings and giving Sonic a increased jump attack. The Fire Shield keeping Sonic safe from lava and fire attacks and also giving him a increased boost of sorts. All are optional and are not needed in order to beat the game but make your life easier in certain aspects and are fun.

They just add a little something extra to the gameplay, and you can even reach certain areas you couldn't before with some of them like the Electric Shield and Fire Shield. The shields even prevent certain enemies attacks from hurting you. I'd also absolutely love to see the Game Gear games temporary upgrades make a return too. Rocket boots, a Bouncy Spring, going inside bubbles that float you upwards to reach higher areas...they're all fun, optional and temporary. They just add a little something, even if its aesthetics, something minor or actually useful for gameplay I'm pretty much happy with it and would love to see them return or be present in the games.

Edited by SonikkuGenesis89

I've yet to see a 3d sonic game half as good as SA1 and 2 for many reasons. They are trying to keep the series alive, and in my opinion, at the cost of quality.

• Bad Quality Post 3

I've yet to see a 3d sonic game half as good as SA1 and 2 for many reasons. They are trying to keep the series alive, and in my opinion, at the cost of quality.

Upgrades are alright. They're very satisfying to acquire and it's always fun to replay levels with more abilities to unlock new paths, but they tend to feel sort of pointless when they only exist to grant Sonic his standard abilities later than usual. I think something like the... uh, whatever the upgrades were in Secret Rings and Black Knight... might be a bit better than what the Adventures and Unleashed did. Just minor extra abilities, slight increases to speed or resilience, that sort of thing. I haven't played either game in forever, but didn't they pull that off fairly well?

• Thumbs Up 1