Awoo.

Saddest Death/Ending

King Frosty

Title says all. (And Yes this is similar to the Best Villain Defeat/Death Topic :P) Name the saddest Death/Ending you've ever seen.

Klonoa's ending.....JUST...KLONOAS ENDING..... :(

Edited by eddy6247

Klonoa's ending.....JUST...KLONOAS ENDING..... :(

And the ending of Klonoa 2. Poor King of Sorrow! Well, at least it's implied that he's reincarnated in the form of a baby.

Saddest ending to a game though? Probably Sonic 2's Bad Ending;

What is that ending implying? That Tails is dead or was forever held captive? It's not canonical but it's sooo sad :( the music just adds to the depressing-ness. And poor Sonic is all alone! Running through GHZ by himself. You gotta wonder what's going through his head don't you? Especially when he looks up at the sky and Tails is there.

• Thumbs Up 8

The ending of Toy Story 3: The ending to this movie really hit the class of 2010 the hardest because they were going to college the same time Andy was.

The death of Bambi's mom and Simba's dad.

Death of Optimus Prime (86 movie)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll say Toy Story 3 is one of the only ones that's got me really choked up. It's so damn powerful. ;_;

Also (ironically) Kenny's death, or the aftermath of it anyway, in 'Kenny Dies' was really damn sad. I know it was all a big joke but still, so sad...

The ending to The Plague Dogs (British animated movie about two dogs who escape from an animal testing facility, and a great one at that)

Basically, the dogs are thought to be carrying the Bubonic plague, so the army ends up going after them. They reach the sea and end up having to swim out to an island that Snitter thinks he sees in order to avoid certain death. It then cuts to them struggling to stay afloat while Snitter, having a hallucination problem, believes he only imagined the island and Rowf tells them to keep moving forward. The ending is left ambiguous as to whether or not they live, but it's heavily implied that they didn't. The gospel-ish song they play at the end with lyrics like "I don't feel no pain no more" and "I've left this world behind" doesn't help matters either. D:

• Thumbs Up 2

The Plague Dogs was so damned depressing all over that the ending of it was actually bittersweet, and it's summed up perfectly by the opening line of the theme song.

The most recent ending that wrenches at my heart is the ending to Where The Wild Things Are. And the funny thing is, I can't really pinpoint why. I think it's a mixture of the characterization and drama up until that point and how it'd become increasingly clear that Carol was just so damn lost, but when he gets to the beach and starts howling, I just lose it. I literally cannot watch that ending without becoming a snotty mess. Right now I'm misty-eyed just thinking about it.

Simba's dad dying still gives me sniffles, and I consider it more timeless than the death of Bambi's mom simply because it was handled better. For one thing, we see the body. And the affected child actually cries. And said affected child had a more developed relationship with the aforementioned parent. xP

Chopper's death in Ace Combat 5 is my Saddest Death. He was pretty much the least annoying of your wingmen, and a great counter to Grimm's whinyness.

Strangely, the ending to The Human Centipede...

And since I don't know how to spoiler tag, all I'm gonna say is, poor girl...poor girl :(

Edit: Thank you kindly T-man :P

Well, the Human Centipede tries escaping, but the scientist dude catches up to them, the Asian guy (who's the front of the Centipede) talks about how he wasn't nice to his friends and family and thought that this experiment was a worthy punishment to him, after that, he slits his throat, eventually everyone dies but the two girls who are the middle and the back of the centipede and halfway through, you find out the girl at the back is dying slowly from some kind of infection, and at the end she dies, leaving just that girl in the middle, to be stuck there attached to two lifeless bodies

Edited by Scott

And since I don't know how to spoiler tag, all I'm gonna say is, poor girl...poor girl :(

You just type

text[/ spoiler](without the space between "/" and "spoiler".

:)

The Plague Dogs was so damned depressing all over that the ending of it was actually bittersweet, and it's summed up perfectly by the opening line of the theme song.

I suppose so, but it still had that effect on me. :(

To be honest though, now that I think of it, probably the closest I ever came to crying at a movie was the original Land Before Time when Littlefoot's mother dies (although I was 11 then). Screw Bambi's mom, that was freaking sad.

Edited by T-Man

Toy Story 3, its still the only movie to this day to make me shed a tear, and that's saying something. Not just because its the end of an era, but it feels like we've said a good-bye to part of our childhood.

Ace's death from One piece hits pretty close to home as well, especially considering at that point no one important died outside of flashbacks, Luffy's heartbreaking breakdown afterwards didn't make it any better.

• Thumbs Up 4

It was recently released so the title is also marked with spoiler tags. Open at your own risk. The game is...

inFAMOUS 2

WARNING! MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS! IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED THE GAME THAN DO NOT RUIN THE AMAZING STORY FOR YOURSELF!

The Good ending is bittersweet. Cole, Nix, and Kuo die but all the regular people are saved while the conduits die. Zeke believes Cole will go down as an unsung hero but New Marais knows what Cole MacGrath has done for them. "The Demon of Empire City" has become "The Saint Patron of New Marais". Zeke takes a boat with, the now dead, Cole in his coffin and makes an amazing quote that should be remembered as one of the best quotes in video games ever. "Sometimes I hear people talk about conduits and humans like they're totally differn't. That's bullshit. Cause' there ain't anyone with more humanity than Cole MacGrath". Zeke than goes on to say how he loves Cole and will miss him. the screen fades to black and lightning hits the coffin. It's in the shape of a question mark. Right before the credit song starts there are sounds of what could be footsteps. So the good ending isn't really completely sad as much as bittersweet, but gosh if Sucker Punch doesn't make you care about these characters.

The Evil ending is just heartbreaking. I have seen so many people who didn't like Zeke in the first game, come to love the hell out of him in this one. I always loved Zeke, but inFAMOUS 2 just made him even better. the amount of depth they game him and on his relationship with Cole was outstanding. in inFAMOUS 2, you really felt for all the characters. In the Evil Ending, Cole and Zeke confront eachother. Cole wan't to destroy the RFI and kill all of the reguylar people but Zeke doesn't think that it's the right thing to kill millions over thousands of innocents. The music just sets up the whole sad tone. Zeke picks up the RFI and looks at Cole. "Half as long..." Cole says. "Twice as bright..." Zeke responds. Considering earlier in the game when Zeke says this to Cole over a toast, it's just so sad. Zeke's face shows sadness. He knows he's not going to win. It's clear by how his face looks. It's made even more heart wrenching when he says "I gotta try". By the tone of his voice, it's obvious that he knows that he isn't going to make it. Cole responds with an understanding "I know". Despite being on opposite side, it's easy to tell that they used to be best friends.

Zeke shoots Cokle with a gun. In response, Cole aims. The game leaves you in aiming mode and all you can do is prss R1 when the prompt comes up. They make you witness Zeke's death, slow and up close. Zeke will keep on shooting but your health regenerates too fast for you to die. Again, his motions and look on his face shows that he knows he won't make it and that he dosn't want to hurt Cole. One shot of electricity fired. Zeke stumbles. He's blantantly hurt but, with his arm shaking, he raises his gun. He has trouble looking at Cole. His face and motions really makes you feel horrible for the guy. Another shot of electricity fired. Zekes fals on to one kneww. He's in a lot of pain but he's not ready to give up. he raises the gun, even shaking more than before. He turns his head to the side, knowing that he will die. The third and final shot of electricity fired. Zeke falls to the ground without a sound, dead. Cole get's up and walks towards the corpse of his former best friend. Cole, the evil monster who turned on humanity, looks down at Zeke's body. His face shows pain, regret and sadness. Cole squats down and hangs his head in sorrow. All throught is that sad, depressing music. A few seconds later Kuo arrives and Cole continues his evil path.

Many people hated Zeke in inFAMOUS 1 because they thought he was annoying and not helpful. They said that they hoped in the sequal that they could play as Cole and kill him. Well they could and they could savor it too. But these same people had trouble doing it. They were too attatched to Zeke. They felt guilty about it and didn't want to do it. Over inFAMOUS 2 Zeke tries his best to redeem himself for his betrayal in the first game and he tried to be as helpful as he could be. Needless to say, Zeke is very helpful in inFAMOUS 2. He helps find Kuo, helps Cole find Nix, makes the Amp, the Dunbar Beam and he even gets a nuke and delays the Beast with it. Zeke and Cole's relationship was one of the main points of the whole story. Not just their relationship as friends but as brothers. in the final Good mission, Cole knows that he is going to die so Zeke and Cole shake eachother's hands at first but soon after they give eachother one last big hug. The acting, script, music, and the depth the characters are given makes you care about them and both endings show that. Over the game you see them repair their relationship and see how close they are and then the ending shows it at full force.

The best way to put it is that... well Roger Ebert said that video games can't be true art. There are many definitions of true art. There is a quote that says "true art makes you feel". If that's true, than inFAMOUS 2 is proof that video games can be true art.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was recently released so the title is also marked with spoiler tags. Open at your own risk.

inFAMOUS 2

spoilers.

Didn't read the spoiler itself, but the game you mentioned reminded me of

when Trish died in the first Infamous.

:(

Also, the scene in Lost Odyssey where Lirum dies is one I will never forget...I really need to beat that game...

Edited by T-Man

Shadows fall in Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty sad. Even though Sega would ruin the impact that ending had by bringing shadow back.

Also that scene in Pokemon Black and White where Ghetis reveals to N that he was using him the whole time was sad too. It also pissed me off so much that I rare candied my Krookodile to I could rape Ghetisis' team on my third try battling him.

And plus there's Yamask. It's pokedex entry said that it used to be a human and that little golden face is the face it used to have when it was human. To make matters worse it retains ALL of it's memories as a human and it often looks at it's face and cries. I mean really imagine if you died, became reincarnated as a Pokemon. Remember all the wonderful memories of your friends and your family and friends, and then you become the slave of a ten year old. That would suck.

• Thumbs Up 4

Silent Hill 2 had one of the most emotional endings of early gaming, in my opinion and in many others. Especially the "Water" ending.

Through most of the game James seems like a pretty good guy, he is going to the town of Silent Hill after receiving a letter from his wife who says she's there. This would be just fine, except Jame's wife died three years ago in a hospital. Still he goes, and there he meets a woman named Maria (who looks remarkable similar to his dead wife, Mary). However, she is convinced she is not Mary. Then she gets stabbed by Pyramid Head and dies, and letter returns as if nothing happened. James meets others in turmoil and driven to madness in the town, and Maria keeps on dying and coming back as if nothing happened. Until in some strange nightmare-like area, he meets her behind Prison bars, and she first is acting just like Mary. But suddenly in the middle of their conversation she is acting like Maria again. Ultimately it is discovered that Mary didn't die of an illness like James believed, she was in incredible pain and it turned her sour to her husband, James. She took away his life, and ultimately partly because he didn't want to see her suffer since he loved her and partly because he wanted her to stop controlling his life and she was uncurable anyway, he killed her himself by suffocating her with a pillow. He has never been able to let go of that guilt, and this is one of the achievable endings.

I agree with the Toy Story 3 mentions, and another thing that immediately hits me is the Ghibli film, "Grave of the Fireflies."

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 1

and another thing that immediately hits me is the Ghibli film, "Grave of the Fireflies."

Oh dear lord. That is the only anime movie to make me cry.

No mention of the Boss' death in Metal Gear Solid 3? That's saddest part of the entire series.

Also spoilers for Disgaea.

In the normal ending Laharl kills off the Seraph who could had saved Flonne so he ends up sacrificing himself so that Flonne could live again. He gets better though.

For me, I'll have to say that the death/erasure of Jack Rakan from Negima! was pretty damn sad for me. The character was just so awesome and broken, I had honestly believed he would never die, he was just to awesome, the way he died was so cheap, seeing as he never stood a chance even when it seemed he did. Though it was pretty damn epic a chapter later when he summoned himself in spirit for to smack young Negi back into sense. Every other similar death after that was pretty powerful too, even if they didn't get that much exposure they still played a part in the story and to some of the characters that seeing them killed off so suddenly like that just made me depressed. More so when the story's main Villain Fate Averrnucus's memories are explored, one of the only "humans" he respected and cared for was killed off in such a way that it left an impact on the reader even though she appeared for a short 2 chapters.

The death of Kamina from TTGL was pretty damn disheartening too, 9 episodes in was to early for me to handle. He was such an awesome character, he didn't deserve to die. When he came back at episode 25 for a few moments I cried because the amount of impact it left afterwards was massive.

I always tear up slightly when I watch/get to the final cutscenes of both Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)... yeah, I know... and Sonic Unleashed, on PlayStation3. I think 'tis just the music in the former, but the latter always gets me because I adore Chip, and I adore the friendship he develops with Sonic. Cheesy, but awesome.

Truckloads from television and film, almost too many to mention, as I cry at just about everything. The last episode of Friends, whenever somebody heroic dies in Twenty-Four... which is almost every episode... and the last ever episode of that show, crikey! I couldn't stop crying for fifteen minutes. I also (shamefully) cried during the final half of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, from about Order 66 to the end credits. Lots from the 2005-onwards incarnation of Doctor Who, most moments involving David Tennant in some capacity, including his final "farewell" scenes. Oh, and him with Rose Tyler at the end of Season Two. Agony.

S'funny, but with Sonic, I get more emotional at the happy moments of victory, whereas other things 'tis usually when you're expected to cry that I cry. Somebody dies or leaves a television show and I cry, but most dramatic or emotional moments in Sonic don't get tears. Yet I even welled up at the final cutscene in Sonic Colours, for goodness sake!

Futurama, Jurassic Bark. Fry's dog waiting for him, for years, while the world around him changes and he eventually closes his eyes for the last time. And that music. Oh good Lord, that music. It may be a cartoon and primarily a comedy, but it was so, so sad.

Seymourstill.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

I found The Luck of the Fryish sadder, just the whole Fry and his brother relationship thing made me think about how he'd never get to see his family again (well until the first movie changed that lol)

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Futurama, the Wasp episode really tore me up when I first saw it...a few more watches and I got gradually better.

And I agree with Jurassic Bark, man that was some emotional stuff. ;_;

As far as shows go nothing makes me cry more than The OC, every season Finale, and the Deaths on that show.

All I have to say, DONT JUDGE IT UNTIL YOU WATCH IT.

Also, The Shawshank Redemptions ending makes me bawl like a baby.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I found The Luck of the Fryish sadder, just the whole Fry and his brother relationship thing made me think about how he'd never get to see his family again (well until the first movie changed that lol)

Futurama, Jurassic Bark. Fry's dog waiting for him, for years, while the world around him changes and he eventually closes his eyes for the last time. And that music. Oh good Lord, that music. It may be a cartoon and primarily a comedy, but it was so, so sad.

Seymourstill.JPG

^ These. Two of the most brilliantly emotional episodes of anything ever, in my opinion.

Also, as others have said, Toy Story 3 in general. Sakae's final letter to her family in Summer Wars gets me pretty teary, but admittedly not on the same level the other things do. Oh, also, episode 130 of GinTama, 'Cat Lover and Dog Lovers should be Mutually Exclusive'. Ending is so sad. :(

I didn't actually find Ace's death in One Piece all that sad, to be honest. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being harsh on Oda here, but Ace is pretty much a nobody. I don't understand how the audience is supposed to care about him, when he's barely ever even appeared in the series. I find that as being a slight problem with One Piece in general, actually. There are all these big, important figures... that have actually had little to no screentime. All we get is their perceived importance within the One Piece universe, but to us as an audience, these people are nobodies who have barely shown up. Ace pretty much fitted that category for me. Sure, he's Luffy's brother, but why should his death have an emotional impact on me, when as an objective viewer, haven't really seen him do anything? I don't know if the anime shuffled things around at all (stopped watching), but I don't think it helped that the manga threw in all the Ace flashbacks after he died. Would have had much more impact if it had been before.

Chopper's backstory in One Piece. Every aspect about it is emotionally gripping, from the moment Hiriluk puts his well-being on the line to reach out to Chopper, to when the Jolly Roger flag is raised above Chopper's head. The fact that Ave Maria actually plays during the climatic death scene in the anime version also hits very close to home. And when Dalton starts crying? I fucking lost it right then and there.

If I had to pick one single isolated event of all of fiction to cite as absolutely perfect, this would be it. I've read Chopper's backstory by itself many times, and it's hard to not get affected even by simple moments such as that of Hiriluk and Chopper looking out to sea. So in a way it's both compelling and difficult for me to read, and even though I gave up trying to collect the manga after the seventh volume, I picked up the one that had this backstory just to have it. I find it touching, heartrending, and memorable, and as a piece of work I find it very inspirational in the sense that I hope to one day be able to write something as beautiful as what Oda did here.

• Thumbs Up 3