Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog: 20 years of FUUUU

Johnny Boy

As Sonic's 20th anniversary is coming sooner and sooner let's take a trip down memory lane and remember the times that made us scream FUUUUUU while playing a sonic game.

Post a moment that made you mad while playing any sonic game from the past 20 years.

Finally buying Sonic Heroes.

It's no secret I hate Sonic Heroes more than nay other Sonic game, what people don't know is that I didn't buy it at first. I played the game at my friend's house and tried out Egg Fleet, loved it, bought it, and started playing Seaside Hill.

Never been so disappointed.

This might sound a tad stupid, but I still can't beat the Egg Viper from SA1. Just one wrong jump and you fall into a bottomless pit. It's hard enough hitting it twice, let alone winning the battle. So frustrating :angry:

257px-Eggmanland.png

^ The only true answer.

Going from Unleashed, there's certain platforming sections during the Werehog's stages where the lack of a shadow and camera placement makes it extremely difficult to gauge where you are in relation to a platform or pole. I can't tell you how much that one bar in Dragon Road pissed me off the first time I was launched too short to grab onto it, with no indication that I was supposed to double jump to get in range.

Another notable moment was the mission in ShtH where you had to find and kill all of the Artificial Chaos that were running amuck on ARK. There's one of the buggers that's just so far out of the way and in a retarded area I would have never thought to look or even been able to find with the unhelpful level aesthetics that it took me about an hour to find the stupid thing and put a bullet in its brain, and that was with a guide.

Also, switching rails, flying, and rolling in Heroes. The controls were aggravating.

And finally, the barrel in Carnival Night.... did not make me mad because I am one of the few people on Earth who figured that thing out within a few seconds the first time I played. I'm still flabbergasted at its notoriety.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another notable moment was the mission in ShtH where you had to find and kill all of the Artificial Chaos that were running amuck on ARK. There's one of the buggers that's just so far out of the way and in a retarded area I would have never thought to look or even been able to find with the unhelpful level aesthetics that it took me about an hour to find the stupid thing and put a bullet in its brain, and that was with a guide.

Being kicked back to the beginning of Egg Dragoon, having run out of lives right near the end of fighting Dark Gaia, in the HD version of Sonic Unleashed. That was realising, the hard way, that I needed to go back and stock up on extra lives by replaying larger stages from previously in the videogame.

I'm on my first playthrough of Sonic Battle, and have been for almost a year now. Completely hit a wall of unbeatable fights halfway through Knuckles' storyline. I return every now and again, only to get so frustrated at multiple defeats.

When Sonic 06 hit stores and shocked the world with how bad it was. <_<

• Thumbs Up 1

The Dragon Road night stage with the pole (Nepenthe already mentioned it.)

The night stage of Cool Edge (both the poles leading upward and the ice platforms that fall upon touching them, still can't get through that stage, urgh.)

That fucking boss in the Twinkle Snow from Advance 3. :angry:

Edited by DragonSoul
  • Thumbs Up 1

Those fucking SA2 treasure hunting levels. So boring, wishing I was blasting through pumpkin hill instead.

Finding out how many people weren't smart enough to figure out that barrel until after years, yes YEARS!! It's really not that damn hard

Edited by Gartocer

The gravity puzzle in SA2'S Crazy Gadget. I'm not the only one who got stuck on that one for quite a while was I? That one annoyed me because I wanted to see the conclusion of the Hero Story and how Sonic escaped from the capsule.

And that barrel in Sonic 3. Tempted me to make a hoax years ago that probably epitomizes what a lot of people felt like doing to it;

Sonicfindsauseforknuxsbombs.png

Also, Cosmic Fall in Expert Mode in Shadow the Hedgehog. EXTREMELY annoying. You have to use Spin Dash perfectly in order to have any chance at reaching those erratic platforms. The difficulty throughout Expert Mode was pathetic....until Cosmic Fall that is.

The Storybook games completely excercised my patience when it came to getting Gold Medals/Five Star ratings. Undeniably insanely hard. Especially when you have no substantial knowledge in skill/item suitability to the specific mission.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggmanland led to the most frustration/fun simultaneously whilst playing a Sonic game. Second place goes to Wacky Workbench, and third place goes to my first runthrough of Crazy Gadget.

The barrel is loads of fun to mess with.

and

YASMIN IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN.

• Thumbs Up 1

What happens? I really don't know.

It's hard.

Nintendo hard.

Like, 1980s Nintendo hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's hard.

Nintendo hard.

Like, 1980s Nintendo hard.

Like what happens with the girl? Please tell me.

Gee, thanks for reminding me. Oh, and fighting those giants in the Werehog levels. They could knock you away by jumping, then again with the stomp move. And they could knock you away by slapping in front of them, even if you were behind them.

The Dark Titans are the only enemies who provide the Werehog some real challenge sans a group of high-tier Egg Fighters. If you're knocked away by a jump, all you have to do is not get up and the game won't register any damage from the ensuing shockwave. As for the slap maneuver working from behind, that would be you getting hit by its tail. =P

But I digress. Want to know what's a really annoying Werehog enemy?

SUKillerBee.png

When the red ones gang up on you in Arid Sands, and they're backed by the wizards that are on fire, you've got a recipe for raeg.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even done flawlessly, Saving Yasmin is so hard as to be near impossible.

I only did it by the skin of my teeth.

• Thumbs Up 1

The god-FUCKING-damn barrel. Plain and simple.

CarnivalNightZone1.jpg

There's a reason why two of the modes in Sonic Jam removed it.

--

The Doom's missions in Shadow the Hedgehog. I love the game, but that level pissed me off.

--

Sonic 2 (Game Gear): The first boss. Took me almost five years just to clear it!

--

Knuckles in Sonic 2: The final boss. You think beating Eggman as Sonic was difficult! Combine the initial difficulty plus Knuckles's low jump, it becomes even harder!

EDIT:

The gravity puzzle in SA2'S Crazy Gadget. I'm not the only one who got stuck on that one for quite a while was I? That one annoyed me because I wanted to see the conclusion of the Hero Story and how Sonic escaped from the capsule.

Thanks for reminding me. I got stuck there, too, to the point where I hated that level more than Mad Space at one point. I wound up passing that level by accident. Edited by Attitude Adjustment
  • Thumbs Up 2

Like what happens with the girl? Please tell me.

She goes missing and you need to rescue her in one of those side-quest missions. It's basically a hard-mode of the second half of Shamar:

You have 2 minutes.

You have to take every shortcut to have a chance.

You can not make a single mistake.

You see that mistake that guy made?

He only got off easy because he was born without eyelids.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

The thing that sticks out in my mind the most is a single bastard robot in Cool Edge Day Act 1 from Sonic Unleashed X-Box 360/PS3. You see it on the second bob-sled ride, and for no reason, it hurts you. That's all nice and dandy, but you on a goddamn bridge with a bottomless pit around you. The robots on the bridge are laid out so you can (should be able to) swerve through them with ease. BUT NOOOOOOOO, that robot was there. I hit the robot before it, and swerve into it; I lose control because I got hurt and fall into the bottomless pit.

That thing is just rage inducing.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Five-starring a lot of the missions in Sonic & The Black Knight. It may be one of my favorite Sonic games, but MAN, could it be frustrating! XD

SonicEliseKiss.png

Not level related but a cutscene. This scene my gawd I had a massive FUUUUU moment when I seen this scene I was like wut teh fuck is happening SHE KISSING HIM......like most of us I found it really fucked up XD

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1