Awoo.

Crash & Spyro

Johnny Boy

So on Spyro, I believe the last good game from that series was A Hero's Tail. That series just lost it after that because of the reboot. Crash, I believe that one has been more or less consistant when it came to releasing games, all that needs is good game to fully have a representation on the PS3 before it dies. But I don't think Spyro has much of a chance to get on the PS3 anymore, since I believe Ratchet and Clank was specifically created to fill the void that Spyro left after Universal revoked Insomniac. (I guess out all 5, the only ones the developers of the respective franchises actually gave a damn about until this year was Ratchet and Clank because Jak was no where to be found on the PS3 until PS Move Heroes. I would say the same for Sly but that franchise had the collection to tide us over until Heroes/the Sly 4 announcement.) Basically what I am trying to say is, Spyro had its run and ain't got a chance in hell now. Crash just needs good enough footing to make a good comeback.

Nice timing with the thread, I was looking around the net when I came across this a few days ago, it has a few animations in it and loads of Concept Art:

Edited by Tobibrocki

Frankly, I feel both Crash and Spyro have had their time in the sun. I'm ready to see some new platforming heroes for the new generation of consoles.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there are many studios still into the platformer spirit outside the ones who have been doing platformers for 15+ years (Insomniac, Nintendo, Sonic Team, and the like), and when was the last time any of them gave us anything new in the genre?

Basically, despite CotT and MoM selling reasonably well (over a million each, at last estimates), Activision screwed Radical over big time. They were in the middle of developing Crash 2010, a return to Crash's roots, when the big A dissolved the Radical team and canned the game.

...So let me get this straight. They were going to make a game that was going to be made in the style of the original PS1 trilogy, then Activision just decided to be stupid. Or more likely, they wanted to focus all their resources into the next Call of Duty game.

I think I just died a little inside. I have no problem with Call of Duty, but sheesh.

Oh man, I miss the days when we considered Crash and Spyro as gaming legends. They've gone from being mascots to almost obscure, with only the most loyal fans noticing they still exist. I would love to see either franchise make a comeback.

Just saw a screen shot for skylands. My god spyro looks ugly...

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice timing with the thread, I was looking around the net when I came across this a few days ago, it has a few animations in it and loads of Concept Art:

FFS, did I just see Dingo-mother fucking-dile firing baby bandicoots out a cannon? Why Activision? Why?

Spyro needs a return to form.

Spyro Generations will let you play as Classic Spyro and Ugly Spyro in an attempt to save the wwwwwwwwwoooorrrrrrlllldddd.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spyro needs a return to form.

Spyro Generations will let you play as Classic Spyro, LOTS Spyro, and Ugly Spyro in an attempt to save the wwwwwwwwwoooorrrrrrlllldddd.

Fixed it for ya.

I'm not ready to deem Skylanders a terrible game just yet, even if Spyro does look hideous. =P I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I'm not a fan of Spyro, I have one of the games somewhere and I can't remember which one but I still find it confusing as an adult.

I do however love Crash still and I have the very first game for my PS1 and I have the 3rd game downloaded on the PS3. I would love to see him return but ONLY if it would be guaranteed to be as good as the old games. Which probably wouldn't happen.

I love Jak and Daxter and own all the games. Plus Jak is hot >.>

I also have a few Ratchett and Clank games and although I think they're adoreable I don't like their games so much, I find them a little hard to get into. However I do own most of them (I think I'm missing one or two of the newest ones).

I've never played Sly Racoon but I want to now they've re-booted it for PS3.

Ehhh, Uncharted, you just hop from handhold to handhold that you practically can't fall from, then you shoot some guys with some really dull guns. Then zombies come out but the developers pretend they're not zombies.

It's always seemed to me that both Crash and Spyro's both outlived the relevance of their core gameplay. Crash could probably be modernized by being placed in more physically complex levels as opposed to the three lane wide hallways he started out in, but instead they turned it into more of a really dull beat em up. His new design has one major problem: It looks like the bones in his forehead were replaced by a McDonald's arch.

Spyro is a bit more tricky, this character never felt fun to move around. I haven't played any of the post Insomniac games, though. And, true, they could have put a gun on him like the dog from Jet Force Gemini, but that seems like a really strange thing to do to a dragon, particularly in Spyro's universe. Of course, then they moved from a collectithon on to a game where you hit square a lot and then you hit R1 a lot.

Actually, retro fans had no reason at all to complain. :lol:

SEGA changed how Sonic looked like for marketing reasons. Sonic needed a cooler, much more slim look for his comeback on the Dreamcast, so he could sell; but he had to be similar to his previous design so people could recognize him. And well, that leads to Sonic's form in SA1 is very alike to Classic Sonic if you observe him closely. He's a lot shorter than 06 Sonic and Unleashed Sonic, possibly.

And even though he's been undergroing through several transformations, (werehog xD) he's still very similar to SA1 (maybe SA2) Sonic, which are supposed to look like Classic Sonic.

I personally prefer Modern's look over Classic sometimes. Sometimes. All in all, they're both cool lil' mofos.

So they have no reason to complain over design. Now for gameplay, they do have a reason. But not much, as Sonic's currently gameplay style is actually good.

Crash_Bandicoot_3_Warped_Original_Box_Art.jpgBest. Crash. Ever.

^ This!

I was disappointed at just how much they changed Crash in the recent games . I bought The Wrath of Cortex the other day, and although it is similar to Crash 3 in a way, it just doesn't capture the same feelings as what it's previous game did.

Needless to say, it was, in my opinion the last decent Crash game before Twinsanity came along......

Edited by Ryan91
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've never played a Crash Bandicoot game before, but I remember being interested in trying Wrath of Cortex for PS2.

By what you're saying, I should assume it's terrible, then? =P

I've never played a Crash Bandicoot game before, but I remember being interested in trying Wrath of Cortex for PS2.

Nope, by all means it isn't terrible , it isn't the best in the series anyway in my opinion

It is a good enough game in it's own right though

• Thumbs Up 2

Wrath of Cortex definitely isn't bad, but if you want Crash at his best, I'd recommend checking out the original trilogy for PS1.

I would agree. I used to play it all the time when I was younger. I mean, that's all I would play.

Crash Bandicoot was the franchise that bridged the Sonic gap when I wasn't allowed to get a Dreamcast. It was an amazing series of games on the PS1. Crash 1 was a great intro game similiar to Donkey Kong Country and also a tad on the hard side. Crash 2 was a huge improvement but a bit too easy. Then Crash 3 came along and blew me away.

Sadly I think Crash is done for, Only Naughty Dog can really pull Crash games off and they are too busy with Uncharted. The only ok Crash games I've played that were not made by them was Crash Bash and The Wrath of Cortex. Bash was great but more because of the multiplayer aspect and Wrath of Cortex was good but nothing special. So I think Crash's glory days are all but over sadly.

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. ^_^

However, I still want to try Wrath of Cortex first (just because the screens from an old EGM cover story are forever ingrained into my memory), then perhaps I'll work my way back to the PS1 games later.

Nice one :D

The only thing you'll notice is how Crash 1 uses islands as opposed to the warp rooms, but it won't be that much of a problem for you :)

You'll enjoy them I'm sure :D

Can the big Crash fan give information to keep people informed on what's happened? By jove, she can!

Basically, despite CotT and MoM selling reasonably well (over a million each, at last estimates), Activision screwed Radical over big time. They were in the middle of developing Crash 2010, a return to Crash's roots, when the big A dissolved the Radical team and canned the game. What have we had since 2008? A boat load of iPhone racing games, with the only notable feature of them being that they've sold remarkably well and that Yaya the Panda is exclusive to them.

I think I've said this before...and I swear I saw an SSMB member username on a Crash 2010 resurrection petition.

Seriously? Damn Activision, what's with you suddenly wanting to be the biggest douchebag among the videogame industries lately?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Penta Penguin.

Dear God. Penta Penguin.

Guys, if you've not heard of the Crash Manga and have an interest in old Crash, I suggest you go look it up. The latest chapter is up and GODDAMN PENTA PENGUIN.

I disagree. Year of the Dragon was the best Spyro game, hands down.

QFT.

I grew up with Crash and Spyro. Crash Bandicoot: Warped and Spyro: Year of the Dragon are my favorite platformers on the PS1. But once Crash and Spyro hit the PS2 era, they went downhill. The only decent Crash games I can think of from the PS2 onwards are Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity. Spyro, on the other hand, hasn't had one good or decent game since Enter the Dragonfly. Also, that Skylanders thing looks stupid as fuck.

I heard from a friend that Crash is still having new games, and he went back to his normal design, but unfortunately these games are phone-exclusive.

• Thumbs Up 1