Awoo.

What is the greatest television series of all time?

batson

Tied for my top favorite shows are Beast Wars and The OC.

Things I liked about beast wars.

1. Character Development- The characters grow over time and many times they will have an entire episode based on a specific characters physical or emotional problems.

2.Plotline- The plotline for this show is amazing and only gets better when it starts to tie in with the original transformers.

3. Great Visuals- The CG in this show was SO ahead of its time and during the second season the characters almost start to look like something pixar made (To me at least)

5. Voice acting- Absolutely top notch voice acting, Scott Mcneil is SO versatile.

6. Elements of Comedy, Drama, Action, Romance, Sci Fi.

Things I liked about the OC

1. Character Development and Casting- Wow, just wow. I have never seen a television show where the characters click this well and feel this real.

2. Its not your typical teen drama- I would label it more as a Dramedy. It is half comedy based and half drama based, even has a bit of action at times. The comedy helps the drama feel less stressful. They balance each other out very well, as the show goes on, this only improves.

3. This series has balls- Main characters die and IMO it is done well, it only enhances the show.

4. The Writing- Just amazing, feels very real to me, one of the things I love most is how the series has emotional callbacks to past events.

5. The Music- I love it.

6. The improv- Actors are actually allowed to improv some of their lines in an episode. This only further enhances the show IMO.

7. The Acting- Absolutely top notch in my book (for most characters)

Many people will automatically decide they dont want to give this show a chance because it is drama based.

I got news for you, basically every show has some form of drama in it.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

South Park, it takes the most controversial of issues, pushes them to their limit, and makes them end up seeming stupid trivial and laughable in the end. Genius.

Honorable mentions:

-Simspons because of it's genius comedy.

-The Boondocks, for exposing all the hypocrisy as well as other messages among the comedy.

-Hey Arnold, for being plain awesome

-Johnny Bravo, for giving us a wannabe womanizing manchild to laugh at (epic foreshadowing of Chris Chan)

-Courage, for being awesome

-MLP:FiM, for being valuable jewel among all of today's garbage on CN and other places.

-dragonball z, this show WAS my childhood. High-octane fights that get your blood pumping.

-yugioh, this show was amazing with all of its blood pumping duels, dangers, and mystery, unlike the GX and 5Ds garbage they show nowadays

-Pokemon, beautiful piece of work back then that still holds strong today even with the same old routine.

Why, Ponies of course.

Probably M*A*S*H. While I absolutely loathe the first couple of seasons with an intense passion for how amazingly inappropriate it seems to make shitty 70's-era sitcom jokes about a war (with a laugh track, even!), once it got all of that nonsense out of its system by the third season it became timeless. It handled the themes it tackled really well, breaching topics that even today most shows try to avoid. And while it tended to lose the comedy aspect as the years went on (especially the final season), that only made it so the jokes that it did tell were that much more powerful and the concepts it explored that much deeper.

While I have to disagree a little with you on the early/late season divide (I rarely have a problem with the silliness of the early seasons even when the jokes didn't always work while I feel like the last couple of seasons were running on fumes until the finale; the middle of the series is still the best), M*A*S*H was still the first thing I thought of when I read the topic's title. There are series that I personally like more, but if I had to try to measure objective quality, M*A*S*H is probably what I'd pick. It struck a great balance between comedy and drama, its characters were often surprisingly deep and it stayed interesting for more than a decade by evolving over time, trading out a lot of its comedy for drama to a degree of success that I've rarely seen matched. Even most of the cast changes over time were for the better! I mean, when you're an adaptation of an adaptation and you manage to completely outshine even the original source material, you know you've got something special.

Ponies!!!111!!

I'm not sure. It'd probably be a three way tie between the following shows:

South Park:

South Park is funny, not just for the toilet humour that was shown in the early seasons, but for it's ability to make light of political events and compare them to some really out there subjects (E.G, Obama being a spy who wanted to steal a jewel, Canadians going to war over a TV show and striking for more money, Stan creating this whole fake conspiracy about 9/11 just because he didn't want people to find out he shit in a urinal). Not to mention the animation itself can be hilarious at times.

Doctor Who:

Both the new series and the old series. Say what you will about the special effects in the early episodes, but the one's in the new seasons are fucking awesome. The newer doctor's like Matt Smith and David Tennant are also pretty funny, however that's not to say some of the older doctors aren't hilarious, like Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee for example. Not to mention, for every season, the majority of stories are usually well written (except for maybe when RTD was writing).

Buffy the vampire slayer:

I'm probably the only one here who gives a shit, or even watched this show, but it was good. Like Doctor Who, it had some great writing and well rounded characters, but it also contained some fairly decent special effects and AWESOME fight choreography. Seriously, this show's probably got more in common with something like Blade rather than Twilight when you factor in the fight scenes.

I cant decide so i'll just do a long list:

Classic Simpsons

Classic Family Guy

Only Fools and Horses

Steptoe and Son (That's right, the original British version)

Seinfeld

Blackadder

Fawlty Towers

Scrubs

Columbo(R.I.P)

Friends

Hancock's Half Hour

Monty Python

Futurama

I Love Lucy

Cheers

The Office (British version)

Frasier

Happy Days

Morecambe and Wise

Father Ted

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Arrested Development

Hmm...

I have to give it to Seinfeld. Many not the most original choice, as it has already been voted as "The Best Show Ever" before, but I think it deserves that title. It's the only comedy I've ever watched where I can watch the reruns and laugh at the same jokes twice. And then a third time, when I see that episode again some time later. It has great characters, clever humour, and brilliant storytelling. An excellent show in all regards.

Edited by Unknownlight
  • Thumbs Up 1

Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law

It has clever humor, classic characters mostly rewritten, and its the greatest thing ever put on TV.

Too bad Top Cat didn't pop up much nor did Hong Kong Phooey popped up which they could had pretty much made funny. :P

A few shows I think are the good are:

That 70s Show - Because Red Forman reminds me of the Grandpa (RIP) and every time my dad sees the show he starts laughing like a moron because he remembers those days XD

Bones - I like this show because it shows the forensic anthropology side but also it's sarcastic.

Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law - Because it's the only new-ish cartoon that's put a smile on my face with it's wit.

Top Cat - Becuase I'm a fan of classics and this cartoon is one of the best. Top Cat reminds me of my Dad. :blink:

Addams Family and Munsters - I love classic shows and these are the two shows I grew up watching when my grandma had TV land on when I was younger.