Awoo.

The 4th Wall

Crystal Kingfisher

Billy & Mandy had for me the best 4th Walls. Rare made amazing 4th walls, I particularly loved those in Conker since the characters actually talked instead of speaking gibberish like in Banjo or whatever, making it far more lively. They also only appeared about three times throughout the game totally unexpected which is the best things about them, like Conker telling the bouncer on Rock Solid that he knows everything since he's king, asking if he saw the intro of the game which was the present time (since Bad Fur Day's gameplay takes place in the past that leads up to the events of Conker becoming the king).

The best 4th Wall of any kind I've seen is the final boss of Conker's Bad Fur Day. BFD being a parody game all up to that point decided to take the piss out of 4th walls by practically doing a parody off of the 4th wall itself after you defeated the final boss, contacting the programmers while the game is frozen and bargaining with them to help him give him weapons and stuff necessary to finish off Heinrich once and for all. Absolutely did not see that coming, at all. The game freezing was the most uncalled for thing I ever saw and at that point I actually thought that my game locked up.

Yes, I love 4th wall jokes in Rare's games. The two things I love about Rare the most are their 4th wall jokes and toilet humor.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crystal Kingfisher

• Eileanach

• CreamyBagel

• Reverest

Or the subtitle scene from the third movie.

That scene was genius

"Would you like to eat some shitake mushrooms?"

"I have a huge rodent problem"

"Your assignment is an unhappy one"

XD

Carrying on theres a moment in Jak 3 where one of the monks says "This is not a game" and Jak and Daxter look to the screen with a confused look on thier face. Theres also that bit at the beggining of the simpsons movie where homer says 'Everyone in here is a huge sucker' and points to the screen and says 'Especially you'

In Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando(Locked & Loaded for Europeans and Australians).

Ratchet:"We're late again, as usual."

Clank:"Yes...I wonder why."

*They both stare toward the camera, looking toward the player.*

Yes, I love 4th wall jokes in Rare's games.
Me too, I love when they do that in the B-K series, although I think they went way too far in Nuts & Bolts.

Carrying on theres a moment in Jak 3 where one of the monks says "This is not a game" and Jak and Daxter look to the screen with a confused look on thier face. Theres also that bit at the beggining of the simpsons movie where homer says 'Everyone in here is a huge sucker' and points to the screen and says 'Especially you'

Like I said before. That WHOLE simpsons game was a joke on the third wall.XD

Especially the end of the game where Ralph looks at the TV,knocks on the screen, and says:

"Daddy, someone's staring at me!"

Anyone played Pac Man 2 The New Adventures?

The game is all about breaking the 4th wall. Pac Man needs you to tell him where to go.

He's always suggesting stuff,asking for your help, and at the pause screen, if you wait a few minutes, he'll

knock on the screen.lol

Here he is with his "oh shit!" face on

1501.jpg

In the DS Game, Contact, there is no fourth wall.

There is a Professor who speaks to the player directly, and tells him that he is the one controlling the main character. You and the character are seperate entities entirely.

And, at the very end of the game, the main character becomes aware that you are contorlling him, and tries to throw rocks at you. You tap him to defeat him.

Yeah I remember that game, I thought that was pretty smart.

Once in Chowder,

Mung spends all the money, resulting in them not having enough money to continue animating the show. It cuts to a video of the show's voice actors discussing the situation in character. The video appears to have been shot with a crappy camcorder. in order to get the animation back, they hold a car wash to raise money.

In Psyconaughts, Raz is aware of his HUD. When another character tries to charge him a toll of arrowheads to cross a bridge, he points to the arrow head counter and says "These things?"

Anyone played Pac Man 2 The New Adventures?

The game is all about breaking the 4th wall. Pac Man needs you to tell him where to go.

He's always suggesting stuff,asking for your help, and at the pause screen, if you wait a few minutes, he'll

knock on the screen.lol

Here he is with his "oh shit!" face on

1501.jpg

I remember this game so much, I loved it even though it was kind of weird at times.

Edited by Shade737

Ever seen Drawn Together? Now that's a show where the fourth wall gets constantly broken XD

I saw one in Chwoder very recently, in the episode "Gazpacho Stands Up" where Gazpacho notices the CN screen bug and says he has tried to remove it but he couldn't.

I really love Drawn Together, they abuse that ALL the time but for some reason it doesn't get old ever.

I find fourth wall breaking extremely funny for some odd reason, it amongst my fave form of comedy XD

There was a memorable one in MGS: Twin Snakes on GC. I think it was during the torture scene. Revolver Ocelot tells Snake that the player better not use autofire on their controller and Snake nods at the screen as if telling the player not to enable autofire. Then there's the bit where Psycho Mantis reads your memory cards and if you have certain saves on them, comments about those games. The most memorable bit though was when he tells you to lay the Gamecube controller on the floor and then he makes it move using his psychokinesis. It's really just vibrating hard enough to move by itself.

In Sonic Unleashed's second cutscene, Sonic enquires to the player over whether or not he fell on top of Chip XD Sonic Chronicles' credits didn't break the fouth wall, it smashed it.

Sonic X in Japanese broke the fourth wall quite a bit, such as Sonic acknowledging that baseball doesn't have to be serious because it's an anime in episode 10, asking Eggman the question over whether or not he was the main protagonist of the show in episode 41 and even Amy tells a rather nutty Sonic that he has to act his age in episode 20 or Sonic X won't be a successful show. The Chaotix have even more moments of fourth wall breaking, as does Eggman.

Also Family Guy broke the forth wall a few times too. For instance, there is the one scene where Stewie and Brian are at Loretta's new house and Stewie says he's gonna talk to her. Brian then says that he should because the other characters besides the main cast wouldn't understand him or just get the gist of what he's saying then the "cameraman" tells them to get back to the script.

The most memorable bit though was when he tells you to lay the Gamecube controller on the floor and then he makes it move using his psychokinesis. It's really just vibrating hard enough to move by itself.

Except for MGS 4, when Mantis returns he not only does his old gag... but puts it into orbit.

First he attempts to read your mind, and can't do it, a PSX memory card then flashes up on the screen.

He tells you to put the pad on the floor and if it's a SIXAXIS pad he says something like "Impossible! Why won't it move!?" At which point he fades away...

If however you are playing with a Dual Shock 3 pad he makes it move and yells "VIBRATION IS BACK!" and cheers as he flies away.

I find fourth wall breaking extremely funny for some odd reason, it amongst my fave form of comedy XD

There was a memorable one in MGS: Twin Snakes on GC. I think it was during the torture scene. Revolver Ocelot tells Snake that the player better not use autofire on their controller and Snake nods at the screen as if telling the player not to enable autofire. Then there's the bit where Psycho Mantis reads your memory cards and if you have certain saves on them, comments about those games. The most memorable bit though was when he tells you to lay the Gamecube controller on the floor and then he makes it move using his psychokinesis. It's really just vibrating hard enough to move by itself.

In Sonic Unleashed's second cutscene, Sonic enquires to the player over whether or not he fell on top of Chip XD Sonic Chronicles' credits didn't break the fouth wall, it smashed it.

Sonic X in Japanese broke the fourth wall quite a bit, such as Sonic acknowledging that baseball doesn't have to be serious because it's an anime in episode 10, asking Eggman the question over whether or not he was the main protagonist of the show in episode 41 and even Amy tells a rather nutty Sonic that he has to act his age in episode 20 or Sonic X won't be a successful show. The Chaotix have even more moments of fourth wall breaking, as does Eggman.

I never played the MGS1 remake on GC (I want to get it though) but I have seen a few cutscenes of it on YouTube and it looks good. That 4th wall joke there sounds pretty funny. And about Sonic asking the player if he fell on top of Chip in Sonic Unleashed, I never knew that was a 4th wall joke, I always thought he was just talking to himself.

I thought of a couple. Some Disney films do it. I think they may have been mentioned already but the main one I can think of is The Lion King during the Hakuna Matata song when Simba looks at the screen confused and Timon says "Pumbaa not in front of the kids!"

There were others but I cannot really remember them at the moment. They'll come back to me no doubt.

Muppet Treasure Island, a movie back in the 90s broke 4th wall big time

My fav break being Rizzo the rat saying:

"He died? And this was supposed to be a KIDS MOVIE"

Actually that's a fair point the Muppets often broke down that 4th wall! I recall the Muppets Christmas Carol was basically made up mostly from Gonzo and Rizzo talking to the audience gave it such a more warm feeling. God I miss those crazy muppets!

The end of Sonic Chronicles broke the fourth wall and didn't bother to put it back up. :lol: I thought it was funny.

Which is another reason why Chronicles is full of pure awesomesauce.

oh, and that one part in Sonic The Hedgehog (the Archie comics) #195 where Silver says "Wait a minute... I recognise this robot gesign. So if this Metal 'Sonic' is blue..." Sonic is looked unamused and looks at the "camera" and says "And here it comes..."

okay, maybe not quite like usuall wall-breakers but it's still funny. xD

Oh and it seems they broke the fourth wall ALL THE TIME in the old comics.

Nice topic!!!. As somebody mentioned here, Sonic X had a lot of 4th wall breaking moments, one of my favourites in with the Chaotix when they´re holding a bar in outer space, and Vector is playing the piano, he then stops and faces the audience and says "Thought I was only a pretty face huh?". that was hilarious!!

Nice topic!!!. As somebody mentioned here, Sonic X had a lot of 4th wall breaking moments, one of my favourites in with the Chaotix when they´re holding a bar in outer space, and Vector is playing the piano, he then stops and faces the audience and says "Thought I was only a pretty face huh?". that was hilarious!!

lol, I remember when they first appeared and gave thier intros. xD

Those crazy guys most be eating a LOT of awesomesauce. x3 (I'm refering to the Chaotix)

No mention for the end of the epilogue mission in Tomb Raider 2? I played the game as a little kid, so I didn't "view" Lara Croft the same way others did... but even then I can tell it was genuinely funny.

-I remembered another Sonic X 4th wallbreaking moment: When Eggman becomes a hero after creating those Solar Lamp things and at the end of the episode he and his robots disscuss about changing the name to "Eggman X".

-The Disgaea series does it a LOT: They are most of the time aware they are in a game. They know about their titles, Status and Levels. (the character Etna even says that she hacked her own title long ago from "Demon Lord" to "Beauty Queen")

also, Asagi...oh Asagi....

-In Super Paper Mario when the characters refer death as a Game Over.

I've been playing Magical Starsign and that has been breaking down the 4th wall. Those little radish guys keep talking to ME as a player or "The holder of the DS!" so... it's been weird but I sort of like it.

Puni Puni Poemi also breaks the fourth wall a lot, like in the final episode where Nabeshin pulls out a script and tells K that he's the director and so doesn't need a scripwriter.

^ Puny Puny Poemi is absolutely INSANE. I love it though and it does the whole director thing a lot. XD So much fun.