Awoo.

Sonic Generations : General Hacking Thread

azoo

Thinking back on it now, I guess I would've liked Frog Forest, or even Egg Fleet, for the Heroes stage, but eh, what's done is done I guess.

Exactly why they should have considered more than just what levels topped the list. Seaside Hill and Green Hill really is pretty ridiculous considering one is a tribute to the other.

I actually really support the inclusion of "Seaside Hill." The real Seaside Hill is basically Green Hill 2.0, that's true, but "Seaside Hill" Generations isn't really Seaside Hill, it's Ocean Palace and Ocean Palace is nothing like Green Hill.

I think Egg Fleet would have been a great choice too, but I'm extremely satisfied by "Seaside Hill."

I actually really support the inclusion of "Seaside Hill." The real Seaside Hill is basically Green Hill 2.0, that's true, but "Seaside Hill" Generations isn't really Seaside Hill, it's Ocean Palace and Ocean Palace is nothing like Green Hill.

Seriously, does nobody remember that the latter half of Seaside Hill was set on ruins like Ocean Palace? It's very clearly Seaside Hill, not Ocean Palace.

defossh.png

Seriously, does nobody remember that the latter half of Seaside Hill was set on ruins like Ocean Palace? It's very clearly Seaside Hill, not Ocean Palace.

defossh.png

To be honest that looks a lot like Ocean Palace...but being that Green Hill Zone was mixing stuff up I'm sure this will be like...a Modern Day Aquatic Ruin.

There are stages from Heroes I'd have preferred (particularly Hang Castle or Egg Fleet, but even Rail Canyon would be a decent choice), but I really don't feel that bad about Seaside Hill. It's easily the most unique of all the Green Hill-alikes, and the Generations version seems to be emphasizing the ruins aspect of the level (and maybe the water) even more than in the original. I love ruins levels, too, and I guess I'd rather have Seaside Hill to represent that trope than nothing*. It seems vaguely appropriate to start the second half-ish of the game with a Green Hill homage, too, acknowledging that the series has been using nostalgia as a crutch respecting its roots for ages.

Speed Highway and Rooftop Run, on the other hand, are going to have to impress the hell out of me in order to justify their inclusion. Of the two, it's actually Rooftop Run that bothers me more: at least Speed Highway has the roads/tunnels-in-the-sky thing going on, with helicopters and police robots and weird scoopy things. Also, it's set at night, and if the developers are clever they'll be able to do something really cool with the daybreak at the end of the stage. Rooftop Run's mostly a street level like City Escape, though, and it doesn't have many opportunities for new twists that I can think of (a day/night gimmick, I guess, but Speed Highway's already sort of got that. It should, anyway). I'd have much preferred to see Cool Edge or Dragon Road. Or Arid Sands, or Savannah Citadel, or Eggmanland... I guess I should just count myself lucky that they didn't decide to include Empire City.

Still, the level themes thing hasn't bothered me quite as much since we learned that Stardust Speedway is sort of appearing as a boss arena, and presumably other stages will be as well. It's a little consolation, I guess.

*Derp, Sky Sanctuary. Never mind.

Edited by Octarette

The fans picked the levels so blame the fans for the lack of variety Nepenthe :P

I personally love the level list since all of them are my personal favorites of each game(Except for Sonic 06,i don't really have a stage that i like :P )

Remember people,it's not what levels are there that matters most,it's how well they're designed.But oh well haters gonna hate :lol:

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

defossh.png

But the ruins weren't the focus of Seaside Hill, they were the focus of Ocean Palace. Those two images found in the demo aren't just random screenshots, they're for a demo level select screen like the ones we've seen for Green Hill, City Escape, and Rooftop Run, which means those images are supposed to be representative of the stage as a whole. This strongly suggests that the focus of Seaside Hill Generations is the ruins.

Call it whatever you like, but it seems to have a lot more in common with Ocean Palace.

Of course if you don’t like the levels in Generations, you could say that the Community might only have itself to blame?

Oh yeah, I'm sure all of the Community would have agreed to completely leave out a level for Sonic 3 (and Sonic CD to some extent). We sure only have ourselves to blame for that.

Nice try, but spare us the blame game stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The fans picked the levels so blame the fans for the lack of variety Nepenthe :P

I personally love the level list since all of them are my personal favorites of each game(Except for Sonic 06,i don't really have a stage that i like :P )

Remember people,it's not what levels are there that matters most,it's how well they're designed.But oh well haters gonna hate :lol:

Why are you calling me out? I can't even remember the last time I posted on this specific subject or even in this topic.

Regardless, I never disagreed with that. I just said the fandom isn't the only demographic whose input was taken into account which most people find agreeable considering a common rebuttal is "it's not what you/the fans want, it's what the public wants too."

Also, that is such a copout. If the actual locations are insignificant now, why are people still so adamant on defending the level themes in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 2

I kinda half and half agree...I'm really on the fence when it comes to level themes. Personally though I think level design/art is much more important.

To be honest level themes were never really something I payed much attention too...I like fun, challenging, and well designed levels so as long as each level is different or unique in some way I wouldn't care that much. (Sonic Unleashed)

That is all I going to say about that though I don't want another fight fest about levels.

Edited by Voyant

Lol this "Blame the fans" crap is Capcom all over again. Except its the fans saying it to others, haha.

Personally I don't care about the Level Selections, I'm excited to play all of them. Even if I hated it there isn't much to be done =p

A question to anyone who voted, how were they organized? Like, they would say "What's your favorite zone from Sonic ____?" and then they chose? Or was it more like "Pick your favorite Zone!" and there was a selection from a bunch several games?

I really don't have a problem with the level list. I got my favorite level from each game except from Planet Wisp. I love the stage but i love more Aquarium Park. ;)

The only disappointment for me is that i don't see Ice Cap in there but i'm hoping for a DLC. If we don't get one that's still fine with me. I'm more than pleased already.

defossh.png

I'm surprised people are surprised by Seaside Hill's inclusion. The last two years have shown us that Sonic Team loves them some Seaside Hill, as well as Heroes in general. The appearance in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games should have tipped folks off, and the inclusion of it in Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing should have made it as clear as a neon sign.

The same sort of thing could be applied to Rooftop Run too, given the use of its music above others in the aforementioned M&S. Crisis City and Planet Wisp...eh, those were kind of unforeseeable, but the DS version of PW had the Chaotix in them which lead me to perfect it first,

not to mention that the SG version is confirmed to have at least Charmy there

Edited by VEDJ-F

I've never played Sonic Heroes because I hated the teamwork angle and the it seemed...so mechanical. Its hard to describe. It just didn't look as appealing.

I also do not get the sudden love for Twilight Park. Also about percentages, you should account for how many people voted in each poll and not just the percentage number. More people probably voted in the original 3 games than the later ones or Sonic Adventure games probably recieved more votes. 69% is a pretty big number although the matter of polling is a bit decieving. If Sonic Team told the pollsters that they were asking which stages they would want to see in the next game from each past Sonic game, there might have been a difference in results.

I'm gonna laugh so hard if they call it Seaside Palace because of the elements of the 2 places mixed into this one stage.

It's called Seaside Hill. The title card says it, and the individual pics are referred to as "ssh" in the file names.

I will remind you in Sonic Heroes the stages were referred to mainly as their first "acts" name, so Seaside Hill likely refers to both Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace since those are really acts 1 and 2 for, "Seaside Hill".

• Thumbs Up 4

What if Generations has a team-work thing in the Seaside Hill level. That'd be flippin' awesome, in Modern Sonic's team it will have Modern Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, and on Classic Sonic's it will have Classic Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. That'd be awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Seaside Hill got me thinking about the music, maybe this is a remix that we'll get:

But with more instruments;)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oh gawd that water....Dat SEAA!

Dat Hedgehog engine....

Dat Animation!

Who ever says M. Sonic can't be full of life and spunk is blind.

Edited by Voyant

Seaside Hill got me thinking about the music, maybe this is a remix that we'll get:

But with more instruments;)

Generations has like...some of the best water I have ever seen from gaming...holy crap...you can CLEARLY see how amazing it is when your about to enter the cave.