Awoo.

Arguments with idiots

Gaming Misfit

Your entire school laughed at you for not playing FPS games? Either something's missing in the story or your entire student body is embarrassingly idiotic.

I've never had anyone really openly mock me for liking Sonic with the intent to hurt, much less challenge my fandom with bad arguments. I guess I've been pretty lucky; Sonic's a topic starter out in the public, even at nerdy conventions. The closest it's ever come to a confrontation was my brother popping a random question at me out of nowhere: "Quick! What's Sonic's birthday?" I answered and he swiftly left me alone.

Forgot to post here.

Topic moved because it seems like the kind of thing that could be applied to games in general and not just Sonic.

I come across those fags all the time.

I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't use "fags" as a synonym for "idiots". Thanks. ^^;;;

Anyway, I know that there are people over on the SEGA Forums who hate Sony and their games for no reason other than because a user named ShadiWulf loves them. A lot. =P

• Thumbs Up 6

Never had my fandom of the franchise as a whole challenged, but I do have one kinda funny story. I used to go on the SEGA forums - don't judge me - and a while back, there was something of a mini-meme where people would make threads like "Describe X game in Y amount of words." I made one about the Adventure games, and some Fan Hater said something like this:

Sonic adventure 2-Garbage!! and anyone who likes it has no taste in video games and probably likes sonic 06

Seems like the guy softened up a bit later, but me and my friends there lol'd at the time. Also, he completely ignored the rules of the thread, as you were supposed to describe the game in FIVE words, but I suppose that's beside the point. XP

I remember back in First year of High School, It was a do-what-you-want session in the class, so pretty much everyone plays flash games on the computers, I played the flash sonic game, then this kid in my class, really snobby and up himself, says with his voice raised enough for the whole class to hear "Hey..are you playing...Sonic? Sonic's for kids" Good part is no one laughed or said anything, bad part is I felt like I just got called out for no reason, which annoyed me.

Fast forward to when I'm in Fourth year of High School and I draw this giant picture of Sonic on his hoverboard from Sonic Riders on my art folder, I got alot of praise from the class, cos they thought I drew it really nice and some people admitted to liking it, even talking about recent experiences with the games, it felt nice and all, until that same snobby Asshole said "I like Sonic" so I'm thinking to myself "WTF, I remember what you fucking said in First year cumstain" not exactly like that but I remember being mentally pissed off by it. Wasn't really and argument but he WAS an idiot!

• Thumbs Up 1

I once spent a wee in a Zelda forum. I think they were much worse than any Sonic fan could ever be. Especially if you didn't agree with the general consensus that the series was getting stale, Adult Link and realistic graphics and characters were the way to go, They need to talk more about wars, The series needs blood, voice acting, and orchestra music, Link was a descendant of a knight in every single game ever, and that the Timeline actually mattered, you would be faced with the harshest backlash. And god help anyone who discusses who Ships Link with who. Pure insanity. Zelda fanbase is definitely more of a nightmare than a Sonic Fanbase... I actually like Zelda more than Sonic and I am not willing to take place in the fanbase like I am with Sonic. That should say something.

Ah... and Pokemon. When I was a kid, you were pretty much flat out "retarded" if you liked Pokemon in school. I have no idea what the world had against pokemon. Yet everyone collected Pokemon cards at my school no matter if you hated it or not... they thought there would be money in it. Funny enough, our local comics and card shop would not carry or buy pokemon cards ( funny enough they don't carry Sonic Comicbooks either. Methinks they have a prejudice against non superhero comics ) Nowdays though I'm not sure what the consensus on pokemon is, but now there are adults who were raised on pokemon so I don't really have any regrets.

Mario fans... I wish there was a big passionate mario fanbase, but there's just a small handful of crappy Mario fansites that probably don't ever get updated. It seems the worse I ever get with Mario fans is some gamefaqs forum arguments about Daisy, Geno or Fawful needing to be in every game, even the mainstream ones .

And... well I supported everything Sonic did until about a year after Sonic 06... yeah. Lots of arguments and being called stupid or blind or something. I myself have called people stupid for thinking Cosmo and Tikal and Rouge and Cream and Vanialla and Wave and Blaze have even the slightest chance of being unlockable in Sonic Colors, and they really did beleive it.

Sometimes I take a lot of crap from people who don't understand that a game doesn't have to be new to be good, and what really enrages me, is the amount of times they sling the word "nostalgia goggles" at me.

I've had a few hair-tearing experiences trying to talk about Sonic with people.

Generally, people who are in the I played the old Sonics and they were good and then I played a 3D Sonic and it was crap so therefore all the new Sonic games are crap are hard to deal with.

I've got a few horror stories, but I'll save them for a later day. :)

• 1 year later...

Recently Gligar13vids decided to start trolling on me. Why, you may ask? I have a condition called Aspergers syndrome which is on the autistic spectrum. And Gligar seems to be very anti-autistic, with him referring to autistic people in very harsh ways. He's also doing it because I like Sonic. he thinks I should stop playign Sonic and play Bioshock instead (like fuck that's ever gone happen). And it's not just me who's arguing with him either. There seems to be a lot of other autistic people trying to fight him off on Youtube, and it mademe smile when I saw that people are standing up to him.

Edited by Wil348

I got a lot of stick for liking games, and yes Sonic stuff when I was in school...

But I did kind of make a big deal out of it, so I'd pretty much made myself an easy target. :(

In general though, I hate arguments where you essentially have to back down because the person you're arguing with completely twists what you say, or refuses to even accept what you're saying might have some kind of basis in reality.

For example, a lot of my family have said some pretty racist things. I've tried to argue, but usually they get upset or give me the whole "I'm not a racist, but...." argument.

Such arguments aren't worth even getting into, but it's frustrating all the same.

Recently Gligar13vids decided to start trolling on me. Why, you may ask? I have a condition called Aspergers syndrome which is on the autistic spectrum. And Gligar seems to be very anti-autistic, with him referring to autistic people in very harsh ways. He's also doing it because I like Sonic. he thinks I should stop playign Sonic and play Bioshock instead (like fuck that's ever gone happen). And it's not just me who's arguing with him either. There seems to be a lot of other autistic people trying to fight him off on Youtube, and it mademe smile when I saw that people are standing up to him.

I don't know how serious he is. Gligar comes off to me as a guy just trying to get a reaction and nothing more, not believing anything he says.

Is he PMing or posting comments on any videos you've made bugging you? Or is it just in the comments of his videos?

I've had the existence of my genitalia called into question after being caught playing Viva Pinata.

Other than that, it has been pretty standard fare, with the common selection of derogatory comments questioning my age, sexual orientation and living conditions. People are very original and logical with their insults, aren't they?

Edited by Heinous Creature

I've had the existence of my genitalia called into question after being caught playing Viva Pinata.

Yeah. I was caught playing Sonic Generations and I looked down. My life is a lie.

• Thumbs Up 1