Awoo.

How big is Angel Island exactly?

SuperClassic

Alright, so in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Angel Island is pretty damn huge, that isn't an opinion that I think needs to have much detail to it. In Sonic Adventure, Angel island is slightly smaller, being only a portion of the Mystic Ruins, Ice Cap, Red Mountain, and the Master Emerald shrine, in Sonic Adventure 2, the Master Emerald shrine is the only area shown. In Sonic Heroes, Mushroom Hill is referenced, in every single game after that, Angel Island became nonexistant, did it just disappear? If so, I DEMAND an explanation!

Not really, I don't give much of a shit, but I'd like to finally see Angel Island in a 3D game, properly, for once, Adventure did a shitty job showing what's part of Angel Island and what isn't.

With

Sky Sanctuary

in Generations, we could expect expect some good Angel Island coverage...actually the desicion of Sky Sanctuary really makes sense now.

Edited by ChikaBoing

The only explanation I have for Angel Island getting smaller is that its was slowly destroyed from Eggman's fleet bombing the area and Knuckles constantly blowing up shit. And it might had been the victim of erosion over the years too. But that's the only thing that could explain it at least I hope.

With Sky Sanctuary in Generations, we could expect expect some good Angel Island coverage...actually the desicion of Sky Sanctuary really makes sense now.

It would be nice for the level to start with a top down 3D segment tons of clouds with Angel Island and the ocean underneath them.

in Sonic Adventure 2, the Master Emerald shrine is the only area shown.

The Emerald's shrine was shown? Do you mean when we first see Knuckles and Rouge fighting over it, because that seemed more like an off-island area more than anything else to me (it's kinda hard to determine since they reused one of the Desert stages as the surrounds for that scene).

And I don't think you'll get a specific size or anything (kinda hard to measure the miles of a fictional area :V) but I don't think the island itself has actually shrunk, its just that we've been much more limited to the amount of space we can explore on the island compared to back in Sonic 3 & Knuckles (which pretty much all took place on the island), mainly because the Island and the M.E. just haven't had any importance in the plots that have taken place recently.

It would be nice for the level to start with a top down 3D segment tons of clouds with Angel Island and the ocean underneath them.

A detailed close-up view of some sort would be amazing. Maybe make the Level happen around Angel Island. Or just a Top down view.

This is getting off-topic now tough.

The Emerald's shrine was shown? Do you mean when we first see Knuckles and Rouge fighting over it, because that seemed more like an off-island area more than anything else to me (it's kinda hard to determine since they reused one of the Desert stages as the surrounds for that scene).

And I don't think you'll get a specific size or anything (kinda hard to measure the miles of a fictional area :V) but I don't think the island itself has actually shrunk, its just that we've been much more limited to the amount of space we can explore on the island compared to back in Sonic 3 & Knuckles (which pretty much all took place on the island), mainly because the Island and the M.E. just haven't had any importance in the plots that have taken place recently.

It's quite obvious that Sonic's world is suffering from Global warming, which explains Ice Cap disappearing and Angel Island becoming a desert like area.

How big is Angel Island exactly?
If I have to go over this again...

In Sonic Adventure, Angel island is slightly smaller, being only a portion of the Mystic Ruins, Ice Cap, Red Mountain, and the Master Emerald shrine,
No, okay, it's cool, we're cool. No problem here.

Anyway, I'm not really sure if it is smaller in SA; the area you visit obviously is (naturally, comparing a game set entirely on the island with one where it's only a small part of the game), but it still looks pretty big in the CG scenes.

in Sonic Adventure 2, the Master Emerald shrine is the only area shown.
Actually it isn't; the only shrine we see is the replica in Cannon's Core, and when we first see Knuckles and Rouge arguing over the emerald, they're in the desert near Eggman's pyramid base.

Adventure did a shitty job showing what's part of Angel Island and what isn't.
Personally I think people are just dumb. The CG scenes clearly show it's a big-ass island, the NPCs talk about it (admittedly no one really pays any attention to them), and it should be obvious that Ice Cap is Ice Cap. They showed as much as they needed to show. I think the only thing they did wrong was putting a floating island (the bit with the shrine) on the Floating Island.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every area outside of the first area to the Mystic Ruins (you know, the area where the open field you fight Knuckles is at, as well as Tails' workshop) is Angel Island. This is why researchers you talked to in the hubworlds spoke of "new areas suddenly found in the Mystic Ruins that have never been there before". It was the island falling back into place, when it used to be connected before the Perfect Chaos incident and the Chaos Emerald radiation.

The emerald shrine is really only one part of the island that's connected to the rest via bridge. Sand Hill's location is connected to Sandopolis. Red Mountain's also to Lava Reef, and Ice Cap to erm... Ice Cap. The rest of the stages from S3K just never got screentime. It's safe to assume that the Hidden Palace is burrowed underground, not so far away from Red Mountain / Lava Reef, and that Sky Sanctuary crumbled to peices when evacuating to the Death Egg within the climax of S3K.

That's about as much sense I can make of it, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Diogenes just pretty much said what I said in a much more brief and satisfying way than I did, so kudos to you.

Edited by Azukara

If I have to go over this again...

No, okay, it's cool, we're cool. No problem here.

Anyway, I'm not really sure if it is smaller in SA; the area you visit obviously is (naturally, comparing a game set entirely on the island with one where it's only a small part of the game), but it still looks pretty big in the CG scenes.

Actually it isn't; the only shrine we see is the replica in Cannon's Core, and when we first see Knuckles and Rouge arguing over the emerald, they're in the desert near Eggman's pyramid base.

Personally I think people are just dumb. The CG scenes clearly show it's a big-ass island, the NPCs talk about it (admittedly no one really pays any attention to them), and it should be obvious that Ice Cap is Ice Cap. They showed as much as they needed to show. I think the only thing they did wrong was putting a floating island (the bit with the shrine) on the Floating Island.

Considering the impact only managed to make a few rocks fall, and that Mystic Ruins doesn't even look like it's really disconnected from Angel Island, AND that such an impact didn't even cause some sort of a visible crater, I don't blame people for not making assumptions. I'm not asking for realism, just more implication. Perhaps if the NPCs actually had interesting lines, like in Legend of Zelda, I'd actually care about what they have to say.

Edited by Schismatist

Sand Hill's location is connected to Sandopolis.

I don't think Sand Hill is connected to Sandopolis actually. You accessed Sand Hill from the deep jungle that Big lived in (which was also where Lost World and Eggman's base was set up), which didn't really seem connected to Angel Island in any way considering that you got to the area in a different manner (riding a minecart to access the area rather than the updraft in the cavern).

...Not unless Big's actually been living on Angel Island all this time (is there anywhere that Cat doesn't get into). :P

It changes sizes every other game so it Can either fit the Plot, or Stage.

Cutscenes have always shown Angel Island to be pretty huge, but what's confusing me about its SA1 appearance now is the fact that you could get to it by train. Unless Station Square's transportation department is just inhuman, how did they manage to build a track out into the ocean that fast? Angel Island, within the my perception of the game's timeline, couldn't have been down for more than maybe a week. Same with Tails' workshop. The existence of both suggests the Mystic Ruins and thus everything connected to it has always been there, which would be impossible considering Angel Island's flying capabilities.

I dunno. Am I missing something or thinking too hard about it?

Most of the Mystic Ruins isn't Angel Island. The part with the train station and Tails' workshop, as well as the jungle with the Lost World temple, has always been on the ground. It's only that part off to the side, with Ice Cap, Red Mountain, and the shrine, that's actually Angel Island.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cutscenes have always shown Angel Island to be pretty huge, but what's confusing me about its SA1 appearance now is the fact that you could get to it by train. Unless Station Square's transportation department is just inhuman, how did they manage to build a track out into the ocean that fast? Angel Island, within the my perception of the game's timeline, couldn't have been down for more than maybe a week. Same with Tails' workshop. The existence of both suggests the Mystic Ruins and thus everything connected to it has always been there, which would be impossible considering Angel Island's flying capabilities.

I dunno. Am I missing something or thinking too hard about it?

Edited by Kamicciolo

Sand Hill's location is connected to Sandopolis. Red Mountain's also to Lava Reef, and Ice Cap to erm... Ice Cap. The rest of the stages from S3K just never got screentime. It's safe to assume that the Hidden Palace is burrowed underground, not so far away from Red Mountain / Lava Reef, and that Sky Sanctuary crumbled to peices when evacuating to the Death Egg within the climax of S3K.

Edited by DC111

When Knuckles is put back to guarding the Master Emerald, I think we'll see more of it. It's pretty fucking huge form what I understand.

I remember when I was younger I thought Angel Island was represented by that little floating piece of land connected to the bridge where the shrine is located...

I was like...wtf...that cant be right...

It wasnt.

I remember when I was younger I thought Angel Island was represented by that little floating piece of land connected to the bridge where the shrine is located...

I was like...wtf...that cant be right...

It wasnt.

There are still people out there that think that's all of Angel Island, considering the shape of the land, can you blame them?

But they do SHOW you Angel Island when it falls, and it's clearly bigger than that. Also, the size of the hole left behind where it used to be is vast - far, far bigger than the shrine island (that pit on the far side of the pyramid, that Eggman has his base down in? That's where Angel Island came from). I agree that giving a floating island a subordinate floating island is confusing, though.