Awoo.

First Gameplay hack(s) of the demo.

Treacher

Pardon if this doesn't deserve its own thread, but:

After more hacking by Retro''s very own Polygon Jim, he was able to accomplish putting both Sonics in each other's acts of Green Hill.

Interestingly enough, there was something about switching characters when it was initially hacked as well...

• Thumbs Up 1

Modern Sonic actually looks good in Classic Sonic's stage but I can't say the same for Classic Sonic. :lol:

Wow.... Classic Sonic is finally fully 3D in an official Sonic game. It's a shame you have to break the fucking game to do it.

Seriously. It just goes to show that Classic Sonic might have worked with 2D/3D gameplay just like Modern Sonic, if done right, and if his levels were designed with that kind of gameplay in mind. They could have kept the control scheme in tact (with just a jump button and spin dash button) and everything. I can't say I'm disappointed, since Classic's core gameplay is modeled so well after the games he originated from, but still, it feels like an opportunity was missed here.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

You mean to tell me that there is a fully playable Classic Sonic in 3D with classic-style physics... and it's not even being used in the game?

WHY?

• Thumbs Up 2

C!Sonic hacked into Modern's stage burned my soul. .__.;

*wonders if we'll be able to do this with the other characters* If so, that'd be pretty awesome.

Wow.... Classic Sonic is finally fully 3D in an official Sonic game. It's a shame you have to break the fucking game to do it.

Seriously. It just goes to show that Classic Sonic might have worked with 2D/3D gameplay just like Modern Sonic, if done right, and if his levels were designed with that kind of gameplay in mind. I can't say I'm disappointed, since Classic's core gameplay is modeled so well after the games he originated from, but still.

Ummm...

9780812211313.jpg

lol.rolleyes.gif

But anyway, it is rather impressive, and I wonder if they're going to do anything like this in the final version due to the aforementioned "switch character" text found in the demo.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm surprised classic Sonic in modern GHZ worked as well as it did (in a purely functional sense, not in terms of being a good game). Too bad modern-exclusive gimmicks freeze it.

Good god... No offense, but Classic Sonic in Modern Green Hill Zone is just fucking hideous. :blink:

It's the swirling feet animation that makes it look so awkward, I suppose.

Although, Modern looks good in Classic though, for some reason. It's like Rush in HD. And I lol'd at the S Tubes parts. Polygon Jim had to slide to get past that. :lol:

EDIT: Nevertheless, I'd like to see him work some more through these things. It's too bad the game freezes in some parts. It'd be interesting if he could work around this.

Edited by Tatsumaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

Although, Modern looks good in Classic though, for some reason. It's like Rush in HD.

I couldn't have explained it better myself. :lol:

Okay then.

445007-sjam1_super.png

I never played Sonic Jam, so I GUESS you got me there. But you still get the point :P

EDIT: If you think Sonic Jam is Classic Sonic perfectly translated to 3D, either I'm REALLY missing something or I want what you're smoking.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 3

I couldn't have explained it better myself. :lol:

Yeah! I'd really love to see how Modern Sonic works in other levels we already know about. :P

But I dunno, maybe the reason why I've got gripes with this is perhaps because I'm not used to seeing Classic Sonic in 3D. It just doesn't look good, IMHO.

That just showed me why everyone needs to stop bitching about homing attacks...imagine trying to bounce on enemies...it would be the most infuriating thing to do ever. Especially if the enemies are made with the level design.

You can't do Classic Sonic fast in the level and integrate outside forces without being sent to oblivion or it being a cumbersome task that few can enjoy...that's why Sonic was streamlined so that the player had some sense of control WITH a sense of speed. This only proves it further.

Of course you can dumb down things and slow sonic down too Mario levels...but it would be a Sonic game now would it?

Apart from that though that was indeed fucking awesome...gonna get the hacks for kicks!

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I never played Sonic Jam, so I GUESS you got me there. But you still get the point :P

EDIT: If you think Sonic Jam is Classic Sonic perfectly translated to 3D, either I'm REALLY missing something or I want what you're smoking.

Ah ah, you didn't say perfectly translated to 3D. You just said fully 3D in an official Sonic game. That's Sonic Jam.

There is an even earlier example though.

christmasnights03.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

If you think Sonic Jam is Classic Sonic perfectly translated to 3D, either I'm REALLY missing something or I want what you're smoking.

Classic Sonic in perfectly translated to 3D, go!!!

2m62u0y.png

2w20m8g.png

Of course he's not actually a playable character in Sonic Adventure, but if you take a look, he's standing in a way that's very, very similar to how he used to in the Megadrive days. It's not exact, but it's a bit close. It may be technological limitations at that time, but you can't deny that he somewhat looks a little bit like Saturn Sonic from the back in Sky Chase.

But yeah. The Dreamcast Era is sort of this stage in Sonic's history that's going from Classic to Modern, so it's no surprise there. :P

EDIT: We're going off-topic anyway. I just felt like pointing that out.

Edited by Tatsumaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah ah, you didn't say perfectly translated to 3D. You just said fully 3D in an official Sonic game. That's Sonic Jam.

There is an even earlier example though.

christmasnights03.jpg

-.- You know what I meant... lol

Plus, many of those games weren't official platformers in the first place. Sonic Jam? Sure, but it was a compilation more than anything

else. Sonic R was also a pretty campy racing game. Nights also isn't a Sonic game. And you know DAMN well that Sonic 3D Blast doesn't count :rolleyes:

Classic Sonic in perfectly translated to 3D, go!!! *Sonic Adventure images*

I love the game, and that's close enough, so you win xD

Edited by EXshad

Couldn't use the spin-dash either because it froze the game too. Not sure about rolling, but given it's physics in the game, I doubt it'd be useful. Can't imagine how it'll be like if there will indeed be a PC version, they could hack it easily and might be able to play as other characters in the levels as well, or attempt to give Classic Sonic genesis physics. laugh.gif

That just showed me why everyone needs to stop bitching about homing attacks...imagine trying to bounce on enemies...it would be the most infuriating thing to do ever. Especially if the enemies are made with the level design.

You can't do Classic Sonic fast in the level and integrate outside forces without being sent to oblivion or it being a cumbersome task that few can enjoy...that's why Sonic was streamlined so that the player had some sense of control WITH a sense of speed. This only proves it further.

Of course you can dumb down things and slow sonic down too Mario levels...but it would be a Sonic game now would it?

Apart from that though that was indeed fucking awesome...gonna get the hacks for kicks!

Yeah it would, of course if Classic Sonic could roll/spindash it might alleviate some of that trouble, this rendition of GHZ seems pretty streamlined to do so easily. (But not as a complete replacement, mind you.) The insta-shield would also be interesting to see in 3D.

Can't imagine how it'll be like if there will indeed be a PC version, they could hack it easily and might be able to play as other characters in the levels as well, or attempt to give Classic Sonic genesis physics. laugh.gif

That is, if the program for the game permits hacks at all without having it being reported to its mods. |:

Especially if this is going on Steam. :P

I think virtual copies may be a big no-no.

I love the game, and that's close enough, so you win xD

YAI. Can I has a cookie? :D

Edited by Tatsumaki