Awoo.

First Gameplay hack(s) of the demo.

Treacher

Yeah it would, of course if Classic Sonic could roll/spindash it might alleviate some of that trouble, this rendition of GHZ seems pretty streamlined to do so easily. (But not as a complete replacement, mind you.) The insta-shield would also be interesting to see in 3D.

The Spindash sure would have made things easier, but then its just like boosting in the end...

I just find it funny that Modern Sonic seems to be more fun playing in the Classic level than Classic Sonic himself...and in vice versa it seems...unappealing. Not ragging on genesis titles at all, but you can easily see where I'm coming from in the 3D area.

I bet the team struggled a bit on whether or not it was a good idea to bring him back for this game and I bet at the end of the day they chose to just make Classic Sonic 2D because in 3D it was just not working. That might be the reason we also have this....

57jqG.gif

They were thinking about it...I'm sure of it now...

This may bring some light in peoples heads...everyone needs to watch this.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 5

:mellow:

I have seen 3D gameplay without the homing attack and it frightens me. I did think the rolling on the grind rails was sort of cool though.

The Spindash sure would have made things easier, but then its just like boosting in the end...

I just find it funny that Modern Sonic seems to be more fun playing in the Classic level than Classic sonic himself...and in vice versa it seems...unappealing. Not ragging on genesis titles at all, but you can easily see where I'm coming from in the 3D area.

I bet the team struggled a bit on whether or not it was a good idea to bring him back for this game.

Edited by Treacher

Is it just me or does the short Jump seem more designed in Mind with the Homing Attack.

Overall they seem to be making an effort to make feel both Sonics similar(like both duck with the B-button), even it is completly arbitrary. Sorta like Unleashed, were the Medals were put in just so you do something "similar" in the stages and Hubworlds.Or how the Homing attack lock on was put on a different button, just so it works somewhat similar to the grab-lock on with Werehog and so on.

Edited by ChikaBoing

C!Sonic hacked into Modern's stage burned my soul. .__.;

*wonders if we'll be able to do this with the other characters* If so, that'd be pretty awesome.

Maybe they could take the Gliding ability from Sonic Adventure 2 on Knuckles as a playable character? Maybe make him climb on things.

... Jesus, that would be amazing.

That video of Classic Sonic in Green Hill shows why we need the homing attack in 3D Sonic games.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 3

I bet the team struggled a bit on whether or not it was a good idea to bring him back for this game and I bet at the end of the day they chose to just make Classic Sonic 2D because in 3D it was just not working. That might be the reason we also have this....

Yet I'm seeing comments about how this is what 3D Sonic games should be... Yeeeeeah, I think 3D classic Sonic needs a little more tweaking before people start making such claims. c: ;

Edited by Sion-Ta

I could watch that gif forever. @ v @

Anyways, Classic Sonic in the Modern level was... underwhelming. There was no novelty in seeing him in 3D, and nothing interesting happened. I understand that the hack had its issues with freezing, but regardless, that was boring.

Modern Sonic in the Classic level? Drool.

For something that wasnt designed that way, it sure did come out pretty good.

If sega actually designed the game like that, itd be awesome.

Then again, wed all have to face the horrific wrath of the classic fans.

Yet I'm seeing comments about how this is what 3D Sonic games should be... Yeeeeeah, I think 3D classic Sonic needs a little more tweaking before people start making such claims. c: ;

I understand what your saying...fan games have done it...but a lot of people realized how hard it is to mold level design at the same time. You can lay out the stage and have gimmick trials, maybe a few slopes...but when you start applying ACTUAL level design from maybe an actual game being released to the public and you expect profit...people herp derp.

Its the speed thing that kills it for some. Its Sonic greatest strength and biggest weakness when it comes to level design...its a style that people have to DEAL with because like I have said in the past:

Sonic is not platforming with speed...and its not speed with platforming...its both of them...at the same time...all the time.

Edited by Voyant

That video of Classic Sonic in Green Hill shows why we need the homing attack in 3D Sonic games.

I think the Classic stage shows a better example of how the Homing Attack should be executed in terms of how Enemies are placed. Entirely optional for alt. routes like the first Adventure.

Just having Homing attack chains makes it seem like filler,like the Quick-Step...but eh, this is Unleashed Sonic.

I think the Classic stage shows a better example of how the Homing Attack should be executed in terms of how Enemies are placed. Entirely optional for alt. routes like the first Adventure.

Modern Sonic was doing stuff like that in City Escape...I'm sure they are thinking about it. We will see.

For something that wasnt designed that way, it sure did come out pretty good.

If sega actually designed the game like that, itd be awesome.

Then again, wed all have to face the horrific wrath of the classic fans.

Not if they did it right, then again, translating Classic Sonic into 3D is/was never an easy task. (For Sonic Team at least.)

Edited by Treacher

Your new so i'll give you a break, we have youtube tags. next time put in [media*]*youtube link goes here*[/media*] without the "*".

You can go ahead and fix your first post now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 9

Both videos were interesting to watch, but I think I'll stick to both of the Sonics in their respective levels.

Could Classic Sonic work in 3D? Yes, if they improved his jump height and gave him spindash. Possibly homing attack, too. But like this, it's just... incomplete.

I will forever be confused by why people are so impressed with M. Sonic in C. Sonic's level; going as far as to call it more fun than playing with C. Sonic.

I'm seriously at a loss.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just find it funny that Modern Sonic seems to be more fun playing in the Classic level than Classic Sonic himself...and in vice versa it seems...unappealing. Not ragging on genesis titles at all, but you can easily see where I'm coming from in the 3D area.

57jqG.gif

How do make Classic Sonic DO THAT!! Please tell. :)

I will forever be confused by why people are so impressed with M. Sonic in C. Sonic's level; going as far as to call it more fun than playing with C. Sonic.

I'm seriously at a loss.

Agreed. The level clearly wasn't designed for Modern Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Neither level was designed for the opposite character in mind, hence why Classic Sonic's lack of ability to show off and slow top speed made that level look absolutely boring.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't say classic Green Hill looks more fun with Modern Sonic, but to say that it clearly wasn't designed for Modern Sonic... going to have to disagree with you right there.

Okay, it may not have been designed with Modern Sonic in mind but it's still perfectly playable, and actually isn't too different to the 2D sections of the Unleashed formula... minus the S tunnels, but those are scripted events anyway. XD;

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't say classic Green Hill looks more fun with Modern Sonic, but to say that it clearly wasn't designed for Modern Sonic... going to have to disagree with you right there.

Okay, it may not have been designed with Modern Sonic in mind but it's still perfectly playable, and actually isn't too different to the 2D sections of the Unleashed formula... minus the S tunnels, but those are scripted events anyway. XD;

I still don't see it, honestly. It looks boring to me.

For reference, I love Sonic Rush, dislike Rush Adventure, and hate Colors DS. Why? Because the only thing that makes Rush fun is the challenge of pulling off as many tricks as possible and destroying robots to keep your boost gauge up for the entire level. Sonic 4 got rid of the boost and put in platforming. It didn't suit those physics. Hated it. Colors DS got rid of the tricks and used the boost sparingly, trying to add more platforming. It didn't suit those physics. Hated it. Rush knows what it wants to be and does it well. Loved it.

This? Same problem as Colors DS and Sonic 4, and it looks boring as a result (God, I can't believe I'm criticizing a freaking hack).

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

How do make Classic Sonic DO THAT!! Please tell. :)

you have to kill a robot right about the same time you touch the floor...credit goes to Sonic Retro being awesome lately.

you have to kill a robot right about the same time you touch the floor...credit goes to Sonic Retro being awesome lately.

I've made Sonic do that yesterday but I didn't know how to make him pose in the air like that....now I do. Thanks. :)