Awoo.

Quote Pyramids

Blue Blood

I was wondering, is it intentional for quote pyramids to be existing again? On the old board they were removed automatically so you'd only quote what was new in the previous post, but now they're building up again and it's really getting to be a bother. Are they supposed to be like this, on the "to do" list or just forgotton about entirely?

Look at me I have a point and it is higly relevant to the matter at hand.

I only want to quote the guy that made a point, not all the other random dribble.

Edited by Blue Blood

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flyboy Fox

• Blue Blood

• Badnik Mechanic

• Vasco

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a pity that some people don't have the sense to edit them out themselves, it's not like it's a hard thing to do, it's just people being lazy.

Oh of course. That's the main issue, I mean. Unless they need to be there, I try to remember to get rid of them. But pages gets filled with several post tall pyramids only to be followed by "lol, same thing for me!". That's where it gets properly frustrating. Any extra quotes can be added as needed.

I hate them if there's more than two simply because it's needless and cluttered. Most of the time the other quotes are pointless anyway and don't add anything. I edit them out myself if the forum I'm on doesn't automatically remove them. If it's left as it is then maybe people should just stop being lazy and delete the others themselves like Casanova said.

While it's nice to have an automatic filter I'd rather it just became enforced (by mods and members alike) until the offenders remember not to do it.

Generally I'll edit it out everything in the convo that isn't relevant to my CURRENT point in quote pyramids, but alas, an automatic filter may edit things that would be important for a new reader.

Edited by JezMM

I don't like the quote pyramids either, but like Jez said, some important information is omitted.

I guess this could be solved by using different quotes separately instead of in one huge pile.

Changing a small setting in IPB wouldn't be hard and it'd save a lot of trouble and annoyance with people going:

... I just edit them out because it takes about 5 seconds?

Honestly people, that's like whining that a book doesn't turn the page for you.

The pyramid function is better as a default - editing the additional quotes yourself isn't exactly hard or takes long, and whenever the need arises that you do wish to include the quote the person you're quoting quoted (quote quote quote quote quote quote), it's much more comfy to just have it there rather than adding everything manually.

Sometimes it's necessary for a quote to be embedded in another quote, to retain the contenxt of the quote that you're replying to. Manually editing out unnecessary quotes really isn't at all hard or time-consuming.

Manually editing out unnecessary quotes really isn't at all hard or time-consuming.
Sadly it's this little thing called effort. Something which some people lack even in their posts.

I suppose all we can ask is be sensible people, when a reply is going to be 50% or greater of just quotes, use that thing which does processing in your head... I can't remember what it's called.

Sadly it's this little thing called effort. Something which some people lack even in their posts.

I suppose all we can ask is be sensible people, when a reply is going to be 50% or greater of just quotes, use that thing which does processing in your head... I can't remember what it's called.

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Some people do edit out the pyramids, Flyboy, but it's so annoying when you look about and see that people haven't done that. And Urthy, if people were going to be sensible then we wouldn't end up with a good number of the posts that actually exist.

Then maybe we need a rule. For the most part, people pay attention to rules (stuff like typing maturely without text speak, etc), and a few examples would make a point.

Sometimes it's necessary for a quote to be embedded in another quote, to retain the contenxt of the quote that you're replying to. Manually editing out unnecessary quotes really isn't at all hard or time-consuming.

I think, most of the time it just clutters up the topic (look at some posts people are making in this thread, proving the point). Sure, we can always take them out, but most people forget or don't bother doing that, making the thread very redundant.

...But it's not anything too important of course.

Do we even have any topics where quote boxes were way out of control?

Apart from this one? I don't recall any.

I don't know who the staff are anymore because they've all changed their names and avatars to these strange alien sailor things!

Do we even have any topics where quote boxes were way out of control?

Not exactly, but when it gets to so much as 3 quotes, it does look a bit horrible.

Given the apparent mainstream lack of a serious problem, I suggest that it would be prudent to simply report a topic or posts that appear to be getting out of hand. Staff can prune these easily and remind members to be sensible with using the quote system. That way, those who ARE sensibly using it, can continue to use it for what it's there for.