Awoo.

Worst Sonic Game Soundtrack?

Aleekun107

Other than Chronicles, Shaodw, 06 and Black Kight for me. Tough I guess I just haven't played the GameGear games enough or whatever else spin-offy there is to caught my attention.

I also used to hate Rush's OST but it's grown on me.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Spinball for me. Really, this is the reason I never got far in this game.

But after rehearing the Chronicles music, I regret what I said about Spinball.

Chronicles. Beeps and bops are all I heard. The intro theme was okay though.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Really tries hard to be something it's not, nothing noteworthy or memorable in the soundtrack whatsoever. And what the HELL is this?

Now the first video here, yes I am aware of the music's origins but there was a reason it was scrapped music in Sonic 3D: It was shit. As for the second video? They were really onto something, I'll be honest. But after 15 seconds the sound designers obviously thought they had done enough work and just thought to loop it for a boss fight that takes a good few minutes. Classy.

So yeah, Sonic 4 for me for the sheer unimaginative rubbish they came up with, even with the old sound files to hand from the 90's games.

• Thumbs Up 1

A few people are crazy :P Sonic 3D genesis had awesome music. The Saturn version on the other hand.. Blegh.

And wow, listening to Circus Park, besides the start, that music could be directly from the genesis games..

My least favorite would be Chronicles, but without counting that, maybe 3D Blast Saturn.

Edited by MarcelloF

Regarding Chronicles' terribleness, I recall hearing from... I think Svend, that RJacques told him the music he made was fine - before someone put it into the game and lost most of the instruments. Considering the music created solely by Steve Sim (e.g. the battle themes) was way more substantial, and that one of the tracks that got ruined was from RJ's own Sonic 3D soundtrack, I'm willing to believe that.

Other than Chronicles, my vote would be for either Labyrinth or Black Knight. BK is just so bland.

Regarding Chronicles' terribleness, I recall hearing from... I think Svend, that RJacques told him the music he made was fine - before someone put it into the game and lost most of the instruments. Considering the music created solely by Steve Sim (e.g. the battle themes) was way more substantial, and that one of the tracks that got ruined was from RJ's own Sonic 3D soundtrack, I'm willing to believe that.

and that one of the tracks that got ruined was from RJ's own Sonic 3D soundtrack

I know this isn't a whole OST,but i think it should be adressed.SA2's rap tracks still stand as Ohtani-san's only stain in his otherwise perfect resume:

It doesn't feel like Sonic music,the rapping is crappy and it's bland.

Difficult choice, but split between Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode One, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, and many of the limited SEGA GameGear soundtracks (not because of their limitations, mind you, but rather because they're just all somewhat forgettable).

I do enjoy some of the tracks from Sonic Chronicles, but not enough to listen to them outside of the videogame itself.

I know this isn't a whole OST,but i think it should be adressed.SA2's rap tracks still stand as Ohtani-san's only stain in his otherwise perfect resume:

It doesn't feel like Sonic music,the rapping is crappy and it's bland.

The title "worst soundtrack" should not be handed out based off of genre choices, but on the technical quality of the music. Anything else is up to the individual's interpretation and opinion on rap, rock, techno, etc.

Sonic's music life is incredibly diverse, and to label a soundtrack as "bad" because there are a few hip-hop tracks in there is not a fair assessment of the quality of the music overall.

• Thumbs Up 4

The worst soundtrack is by far Sonic Adventure 2!

Mind backing up that statement?

That's definitely not true. Some may not be as memorable, but the quality in terms of instruments and execution are still high up there.

For me, definitely Sonic Chronicles, for I haven't heard Drift's/2's, Blast's, and Labyrinth's. Not the tracks BioWare planned in the interview prior to going gold, but in the packaged detail. It's subtle, but the quality is REALLY low and sometimes I can barely hear the music at all. But when I do hear it, it's like eight-bit music with the volume at full blast at times with scratches and records being twisted the other way. That soundtrack is the only one in the series that I know of that didn't produce good Sonic music.

Edited by Attitude Adjustment

What? You didn't like the Knuckles rap?! In all seriousness I really couldn't stand most of SA2's soundtrack.

Tell you a soundtrack that dissapointed me in some aspects: Colours.

Mainly because Fumie Kumatani was shafted onto cut-scene duty, and only cut-scene duty. And rather than have some cool cut-scene music, she went for the cartooney "make every note match exactly what is happening at the time" Sonic X dub train of thought. Not a fan. 8C How did she go from Supporting Me and Babylon Garden to this.

• Thumbs Up 4

8C How did she go from Supporting Me and Babylon Garden to this.

People working at SEGA are just not consistent lol

You all realize I was kidding about the Sonic Adventure 2 thing, right?

...that was poorly delivered sarcasm there, bro.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can Chronicles even qualify? Or am I reading into the definition of "soundtrack" wrong? As in a game that has a CD released of it's official music, because as far as I know Sonic Chronicles never did......probably cuz it was shit.

If you couldn't tell my vote is with Sonic Chronicles. A bad soundtrack in a Sonic game is quite rare I mean whilst I despise Unleashed as my most hated Sonic game ever I still find myself occassionaly humming Rooftop run's theme and Jaret Reddick's Endless possibilities is pretty awesome!

To me Sonic Chronicles was just awful, and awful game with an awful soundtrack. It's like Bioware, who are quite reputable for being good game makers, decided Sonic was beneath them or something and did a half-assed job on practically everything besides well....the promotional art was pretty good. Pretty much the only thing I came away from Chronicles liking was Shade the Echidna, and she's pretty much just a Julie-Su rip off.

Chronicles music was just ear rapingly bad. Clunks and bleeps and out of rhythm tunes all sounding like they were recorded off the radio with a tape recorder, I mean did someone seriously get paid to make music for this game? Could've fooled me.

Besides the obvious choice of Sonic Chronicles I'd like to give an honorary mention to Sonic and the Black Knight, another terrible game and one in which the music was terrible from memory, then again all I can remember was the theme (being unmemorable I guess is in fact a point for being bad) and the theme to SatBK was horrible.

"Grab a sword and run" ?! The F is that lyrical shit? Now I usually like Crush40, but I'll admit that their sound has its moments of crapness and this is probably the best example; terrible song. Don't get me wrong I like Crush40, I just think when they're good they're great, but when they have a sucky song MAAAAN it sucks.

Besides that I can't say my ears enjoyed ANY of the rap/Knuckles music from SA1 and SA2 but then again that's personal preference for me, not saying I couldn't get into some Sonic themed rap, just that these particular tracks were pretty awful sounding even for rap.

EDIT: completely forgot Sonic four whatever it was.

People will probably jump on me for this but I felt it's music was pretty crap. Sure it had an odd track (maybe 1 or 2) that I thought was decent, but overall the music was bad. Splash Hill gets on my nerves and the Eggman Boss music sounds like some carival ride has started up rather than ominous bad-guy threatening music.

Sonic 4 defintely is up there with the very few soundtracks I'd call poor - terrible.

Edited by The-Master-Board

Chronicles has the worst soundtrack imo. But if it wasn't for that game, I'd say Sonic R had the worst, the music was... unfitting.