Awoo.

Classic Gameplay - What needs to be Fixed

goku262002

Alright, Ive never worked on a game before so I dont know much about how they are made but I have a question.

Lets say they took out the scripted events...

What would happen if Sonic jumped on a spring?

Your saying the physics would still operate properly if Sonic jumped on a spring?

Im just wondering.

Or is this more of a matter of programming the spring on how far to launch sonic?

Im just a bit confused.

Edited by Scar

We don't need the name calling really. It's fine to debate but stuff like that can make things get out of hand quickly.

• Thumbs Up 5

I was fiddling around with it earlier today, and something about how the camera works just seems wrong to me. I can't put my finger on it, though.

The jumping isn't too bad, because the stages are designed around the different jump, but it would be nice if the roll had less friction in the final version.

The game would be much better if rolling allowed you to accelerate more down hills, and if the scripted sequences were toned down by quite a tad. Otherwise the game plays absolutely perfect.

• Thumbs Up 3

The game would be much better if rolling allowed you to accelerate more down hills, and if the scripted sequences were toned down by quite a tad. Otherwise the game plays absolutely perfect.

I agree. I had absolutely no problem adjusting to the new jump (possibly because I suck at Sonic 2 xP) and the only thing that I truly noticed as an issue that needs to be fixed were the scripted sequences. I would love for the rolling to be fixed, but I'd be perfectly satisfied if it wasn't, something a certain few dumbasses would call "accepting mediocrity".

If they fix both the rolling and scripted sequences = 10/10

If they fix only the rolling = 8.5/10

If they fix only the scripted sequences = 9/10

If they don't fix either of them = 8/10

• Thumbs Up 1

Just pulling my stuff from the other thread and posting them here.

- Rolling. It still doesn't get you far. And on the corkscrew at the end of the level, Sonic uncurls. At times it also doesn't work-I recall rolling into an Motorbug and dying for some reason.

- The spindash. Overpowered, regardless whether you're doing it the classic way (down + X [PS3] / A[360]) or using the SA hotkey way (Square[PS3] / X[360]). There's little-to-no distance variation on charges, 2-3 taps and you're off like a bullet. Also, you can't tap it once and see Sonic charging off-he only rolls forward slowly.

- The tunnels are scripted. Regardless what speed Sonic's going, it'll suck him through and push him out at high speeds like the tubes from Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2.

- The springs are also automated-simply touch it, and you be launched in the air-even from below. And when you're launched from the spring, you can't move. Only on springs that launch you up you can move, but only after you've reached the designated height the spring has fixed for you.

- Upward ramps are also automated as well-just like the upward springs, you can't move until you've reached the designated height the ramp has fixed for you.

- I'm not exatly sure, but I'm pretty sure that regardless how many badniks you destroy, you don't bounce any higher with each badnik-the height stays the same.

- There's a specific area than once you go through, you can't go back up through it-it's literally impossible. All the paths at that point fold before that area, so there's no alternative way to go back there.

- Just like what other people are saying, Sonic's jump feels heavy at times.

Finally (this may be considered nitpicking), the screen doesn't move up or down when you make Sonic look up or crouch.

I agree. I had absolutely no problem adjusting to the new jump (possibly because I suck at Sonic 2 xP) and the only thing that I truly noticed as an issue that needs to be fixed were the scripted sequences. I would love for the rolling to be fixed, but I'd be perfectly satisfied if it wasn't, something a certain few dumbasses would call "accepting mediocrity".

If they fix both the rolling and scripted sequences = 10/10

If they fix only the rolling = 8.5/10

If they fix only the scripted sequences = 9/10

If they don't fix either of them = 8/10

I would call them "half-scripted" sequences.

If you have a certain speed you will running/fly that fast.

Actually it is just not possible at this places to turn back or roll.

At a full scripted sequence you will only have a given speed.

Looks like others have find lots of bugs <_< . Personally i only have found some collision detection issues.. But classics have them too!

For those who think spin-dash isn't like in genesis; Try pressing down and then jump button.. Heh! It works just like classics! :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Looks like others have find lots of bugs <_< . Personally i only have found some collision detection issues.. But classics have them too!

For those who think spin-dash isn't like in genesis; Try pressing down and then jump button.. Heh! It works just like classics! :lol:

We're not talking controls, dude. We're talking how the spindash shoots you off at like 300 miles prower per hour when you charge up or hit the instant spindash button,

To anyone that has played SG at the SoS events-

Have the issues listed in this thread been addressed yet or does Classic Sonic still handle exactly the same?

To anyone that has played SG at the SoS events-

Have the issues listed in this thread been addressed yet or does Classic Sonic still handle exactly the same?

It was the same build at SoS, E3 and home use, only the public one was slightly modified to lock out Modern Sonic. The issues haven't been fixed in any build we've played yet.

-rolling needs a buff

-spindash needs a slight nerf

-some (but not necessarily all) scripted sequences (the half pipes near the bottom) need to go. However, this might not work as well as we think (PolygonJim over at Retro has been tinkering with removing stuff like this with weird results)

-if you hold the jump button for exactly .5 seconds, it feels like sonic hits an invisible ceiling, which needs to stop

other than that, c'est fantastique

That PatheticTheHedgehog guy.......was he here before? :mellow: I remember seeing him from the Sega forums before it went offline.

Anyway........can we all agree that the main problems with classic Sonic is underpowered rolling, overpowered spindash, and too many scripted elements (springs, ramps, badnik height bounce, tunnels, etc.) in level design and gameplay?

• 2 weeks later...

The jumping really sucks. It's too short and heavy which makes it feel awkward.

Rolling and scripted sequences need to be looked at too, but the jumping is the thing I find most jarring. Its unnecessarily difficult to make certain jumps, you really have to time them perfectly.

If these things aren't fixed, the game will still be good, but I'll be pretty annoyed. It's not like in S4 where the levels would need to be redesigned to accommodate changes in the way the game plays. These small changes could be easily made with little additional effort on the part of ST. If they don't adjust these things, it's out of plain stubbornness.

The jumping really sucks. It's too short and heavy which makes it feel awkward.

Rolling and scripted sequences need to be looked at too, but the jumping is the thing I find most jarring. Its unnecessarily difficult to make certain jumps, you really have to time them perfectly.

If these things aren't fixed, the game will still be good, but I'll be pretty annoyed. It's not like in S4 where the levels would need to be redesigned to accommodate changes in the way the game plays. These small changes could be easily made with little additional effort on the part of ST. If they don't adjust these things, it's out of plain stubbornness.

• Thumbs Up 1