Awoo.

Why is Sonic considered a bad Franchise?

Nintendoga

I mean look at the series in retrospect, The classic games were great, and most of the 3d titles were also pretty good. In reality he's only had two bad 3d games, Shadow (Which wasn't even his game) and Sonic 06. All the handheld titles were good (Sonic Rush Adventure meh) and the rpg was ok (as far as rpg's go), and Unleashed was good,(Werehog was good in gameplay, though not in concept). As far as Spin-offs go, Sonic R was ok, Sonic Battle was meh, and the storybook series were alright too. So answer me this, if Sonic's only had two mainstream bad games, then why does everyone say that the franchise sucks? The good games beat the bad on a ratio of 10:2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because most people outside of the fanbase think the main console releases staring with Adventure to '06 were bad. Sure we may like some of them, but it's very easy to see why the series got it's reputation with slippery physics, glitches, and an ever expanding annoyingly voiced cast.

I like the Adventures, and hell, I even like Black Knight, but I would never recommend them to a non-fan.

Edited by Ekaje

Why is the series still considered bad? Because a few of the flagship titles have had substandard technical quality and questionable concepts and because the Internet likes a good whipping boy.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know all the stuff we shrugged off and dealt with in SA1, SA2, Heroes, Shadow, 2006 and Unleashed because we just love the franchise so much?

Imagine playing those games without doing that.

Not so good are they. 8C

• Thumbs Up 10
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Usually, the people who hate on Sonic are either:

Total Marvel Fans of Flash.

Anyone who loves (and devotes themselves to) a human superhero.

Anyone who can not relate to animals as cool, mature adults.

I bet people who hate Sly Cooper has the same type of people haters above (except flash).

Also, people just do not like the Sonic franchise because those people believe that in order to make a good Sonic game is either a easy breezy hold-right-a-thon or hold-boost/spindash-a-thon.

Edited by Novelty
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Usually, the people who hate on Sonic are either:

Anyone who loves (and devotes themselves to) a human superhero.

Anyone who can not relate to animals as cool, mature adults.

I bet people who hate Sly Cooper has the same type of people haters above (except flash).

Also, people just do not like the Sonic franchise because those people believe that in order to make a good Sonic game is either a easy breezy hold-right-a-thon or hold-boost/spindash-a-thon.

Edited by Ekaje

Well it's like last year, when I invited a friend who never played a Sonic game since adventure to come play some more recent games. We played SA2, Heroes, unleashed, and Sonic 4. He said that SA2 was okay and Heroes looked pretty fun. He liked the daytime stages and nightime stages in unleashed. Finally he played Sonic 4 and said that it was alright game. But the first time he loaded it up, and played through Splash hill zone, he looked at me and said "Is this a remake of the first one?" lol.

Edit: LMFAO the fuck is this bullshit? I ain't ever invited no friend over to play Sonic. Why is 2011 me such a liar?

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

...You mean DC? I'm sorry, that can't possibly be a sound argument if you don't even know the basic details of what you're arguing against.

Anyways, it's easy to see why. I'll defend Sonic Adventure 1, but anything after that became hit or miss up until very recently. I do wish the haters would stop ignoring the handheld games though. It's fine if they don't like them, but they could at least say so if that's the case.

You know all the stuff we shrugged off and dealt with in SA1, SA2, Heroes, Shadow, 2006 and Unleashed because we just love the franchise so much?

Imagine playing those games without doing that.

Not so good are they. 8C

This....the bad part is that its just small "WTF SEGA?" issues that piss people off.

SA: Should have been largely expand on Sonic gameplay with Tails, Knuckles and maybe other characters blowing threw the stages differently like Sonic. But we got fishing, mech shooting, treasure hunting that plays nothing like the classics.

SA2: Took a step backward and actually forced you to rummage through BS to get to the good stuff.

Sonic Heroes: "REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAM WORK" (A brainless story can kill it for someone) Constant unnecessary talking and annoying uninspired voice work, but a solid title none the less as in it doesn't detract itself from the core gameplay.

Heroes suffers from "its the the small stuff that counts" and its the small stuff that game fucked up on.

Sonic 2006: I shouldn't have to even say anything about this train wreck. Story that is a completely illogical fucking encyclopedia that makes no sense and has plotholes the size of craters on the moon.

Sonic Unleashed: For adding a gameplay style that didn't need to be there.

In the end apart from 2006 do I like these games...yes...cause I love Sonic...but I can EASILY why the gaming public looks down on the franchise.

It just now with Sega All Star Racing, Sonic 4 (love or hate it adults are buying this like candy on their I-Phones), Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations...that they stop adding this unnecessary BS that never should have been there. AND NOW people are starting to take notice of Sonic in a better light....its should have been like this from the get go.

Edited by Voyant

It's not so much that people think Sonic is a bad franchise, it's that people think Sonic as a franchise has completely stagnated and deviated from the appeal and quality he had back in the day.

Sonic 06 was indeed one hell of a bad game, but it wouldn't have carried the tremendous stigma it has if it wasn't preceded by titles that were getting progressively worse and worse. Heroes was a decent title at best. Shadow the Hedgehog was a game that by a lot of people was just seen as objectively wrong thanks to the darker and edgier direction it took the series, and it was impossible to shrug off the sinking feeling that Sega were just forgetting the point of Sonic games. Sonic 06 was simply the straw that broke the camel's back, the result of a bloating cancerous mass of negativity that had slowly taken shape once Sonic lost a home console to thrive on.

It didn't really stop there either, Sonic Unleashed was a game that looked to finally be good, but now to compensate for various Sonic dev teams taking their sweet time to craft a good game, they shoot themselves in the foot instead with the dumbest decisions, such as Werehog and the Black Knight. Sonic 4 sort of fucked itself as well. At best it was an average game, but wanting to be compared to the classics, it doesn't stand up. At all. Unleashed as a game was half consistent and would develop a good formula for Sonic to work with, and only with Colors and Generations does it seem like he's finally gotten some truly good, possibly great games worthy of his name.

In my honest opinion I think the only thing that ever kept Sonic alive instead of going down the route of characters such as Crash and Spyro, is that he was once the selling point for an entirely new generation of games. He managed to spin himself up to such an iconic status that it's pretty much foolproof to hold him up as a brand, regardless of some of the overall quality, and the fact that Sega managed to turn themselves into one of the big software brands in this day and age helps the upkeep of Sonic's status.

Oh and

(Werehog was good in gameplay, though not in concept)

Werehog was pretty damn bad by Beat 'Em Up standards. Everything it had done was already done a thousand times better and far less sluggish by other games such as Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and God of War.

Edited by Carbo
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic isn't considered a bad franchise. It's just that there are some people who say it is because

they are butthurt about not getting what they want out of it.

• Bad Quality Post 3

To be fair they should release a new complation for the newer consoles of Sonic 1,2,3,K,CD, Spinball and Robotnicks Bean Machine. Why? Instead of doing what they did with the xbox by making it "HD". Redo the graphics sorted, Ensure there is the compatibility of Kunckles In Sonic 2 and S3&K and it works! Even add in more games to fill the gaps. This would sell easy and while some may say it ruins it as long as they keep the feel and movement of the game the same it shouldn't be any trouble.

Werehog was pretty damn bad by Beat 'Em Up standards. Everything it had done was already done a thousand times better and far less sluggish by other games such as Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and God of War.

To be fair they should release a new complation for the newer consoles of Sonic 1,2,3,K,CD, Spinball and Robotnicks Bean Machine. Why? Instead of doing what they did with the xbox by making it "HD". Redo the graphics sorted, Ensure there is the compatibility of Kunckles In Sonic 2 and S3&K and it works! Even add in more games to fill the gaps. This would sell easy and while some may say it ruins it as long as they keep the feel and movement of the game the same it shouldn't be any trouble.

It's easier for people to label something outright than to consider there might be a lot more to said thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The franchise is considered bad because the games just didn't seem to evolve after the release of the Adventure series. Glitches, bugs, slippery gameplay and bad camera angles are a common issue in most Sonic games 'Adventure' onwards, the issues were easy to overlook back then, however to consistently have these issues has, in the eyes of many, dropped people's faith in the franchise altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

Depends who you are.

Popular Game Critics - Sonic is a forgotten franchise along with a handful of other game series out there.

Stupid guy you may occasionally stumble on at Youtube - cal of dooty moderrn worfar is teh best game evarz!!!!!211 sonik is stoopit and for littel kid!!!!!1111

Purists - The franchise is empty now and full of stupid ideas! Green eyes suck! New model sucks! /RANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANTRANT!!!!

I like Sonic still though.

• Thumbs Up 5

They already have a collection of Sonic games and more, for the HD consoles at least.

http://en.wikipedia....mate_collection

http://en.wikipedia....Mega_Collection although it is older, it has a lot of other games the top doesn't have; so it could also could be viable to what you're talking about. I haven't checked to see if it is works with the ps3 version, but the xbox one I have unfortunately doesn't work for the 360.

Sonic is considered a "bad franchise" due to various reasons. Such as the gimmicks that were introduced in the series. Like in Black Knight (sword) and Sonic Unleashed (Werehog). When Sonic Colors was announced a majority of people felt the same way, 'just another gimmick.' But obviously that was proved wrong.

Another reason is ever since the Shadow The Hedgehog-Sonic 2006 days, Sonic has been getting a bad reputation. This is mainly because of all of the bad publicly about those games (mainly 2006) even making it voted by various reviewers as the one of the worst of the decade/year.

Lastly, even though the Sonic Adventure series was one of my favorite game series, the game was heavily flawed with glitches. Whether it be camera angles or cheap deaths due to a glitch, at least everyone who owned the game at one time died once due to these problems. Honestly, many people hate the voice acting, but I actually kind of think it suits Sonic; though I like the current voice actors better.

-Oyajitchi

Edited by Oyajitchisama
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why? Because the series has gone downhill for the last 7 years, so it's no wonder it's gotten a bad name ^^ I know for sure, I haven't played any more than 3 decent Sonic games since Heroes..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The games make the stain. The fanbase accentuates the stain.

Obviously the games with their questionable shinanegans and all that are present, we all still remember such "gems" as ShtH and Sonic 2006. But the infamous fanbase that the series has definitely doesn't help. Oh, all things have crazy fanbases, but Sonic just trumps them all. And there's also the assumption by several folk that Sonic is "responsible for 95% furries/furry por-I mean gentlemen's literature", thus making both the franchise and the fans even more of a laughing stock.

Of course this is just my own thoughts on why Sonic gets bad press for other reasons than the more mundane expression that is "crap games", but the point is simple - bad games and other media certainly create the mess, but the reputation and general image of it's fans aren't exactly mending it's wounds either.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic? BAD FRANCHISE?? huh? Nupe. It ain't even like that. It just the fact that

HATERS_GONNA_HATE_by_spikewible.jpg

Now with all that outta THA way..

Sonic is considered a kids game. (l:3)

HD Gamers already don't respect kids games.

HD Gamers also think ALL HD Games kick ass, and anything below an OK sucks.

Simple as that.

And Sonic Battle was WAY above meh... My favorite HandHeld game of all time actually. What made you say that??

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Bad Quality Post 7