Awoo.

Sonic 3ds Max work

exojamesm

The first things I thought of when I saw it were the Crash 2 Ruin levels/Jungle Bungle from Wrath of Cortex. Not quality-wise (this looks better. biggrin.png), just on the aesthetics chosen. It's interesting.

hah i can see what u mean by that! havent played that in years!!

Also thanks all!! Cant believe how popular rusty ruin has been! Good old 3d blast :P

Onto Oil Ocean then! Best not mess this one up :D

• Thumbs Up 1

What I really like about the Rusty Ruin one, is the depth. It looks like Sonic could go more into the back and naturally continue platforming. Maybe you should do the same with Oil Ocean?

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd offer you a job in a heart beat.

It would be great to get your vision of your own Sonic game zone.

Any chance of including Tails tagging along with Sonic in any of the pics? (not in the Tornado)

Hey man, not too bad, but there are a few things I've got 'issues' with when looking at these.

The textures all appear to be very flat...there isn't a lot of detail and variation in any of them. It looks like to really sell the ruins aspect of it I'd suggest taking it into Zbrush and roughing them up some. I'd also maybe perhaps make a few different rocks with different textures and place them in there so that it gives it a bit more variation. As it stands I don't really get much of a ruins vibe from this because of it, everything still looks rather pristine and well kept. It also looks like you don't have specular maps that match the type of material, like I said - everything looks pretty much the same. The only thing I can see there that's truly shiny is the floating ring (which for some reason almost looks lopsided, but it might just be the angle).

Nothing really 'pops'. I'm also curious, are you baking this all down to low poly or is this all done in high poly? Which if its low-poly, then props to you on that front since a lot of it looks rather smooth, but I only ask because if it is all high poly there is no way it'd work in a game engine. I haven't seen any wireframes so I can't say for sure.

The last thing is that all the shots tend to be the same. There is very little variation in the shots you have chosen, Sonic standing in place looking either a little bit up or a little bit down. It's a little boring and doesn't really sell the presentation of these shots to me. Try giving him a run or have him doing -something-.

Great work all the same man, I'm only criticizing here because I feel that what you have is great but it could be pushed to that next level you know? Keep at it all the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey man, not too bad, but there are a few things I've got 'issues' with when looking at these.

The textures all appear to be very flat...there isn't a lot of detail and variation in any of them. It looks like to really sell the ruins aspect of it I'd suggest taking it into Zbrush and roughing them up some. I'd also maybe perhaps make a few different rocks with different textures and place them in there so that it gives it a bit more variation. As it stands I don't really get much of a ruins vibe from this because of it, everything still looks rather pristine and well kept. It also looks like you don't have specular maps that match the type of material, like I said - everything looks pretty much the same. The only thing I can see there that's truly shiny is the floating ring (which for some reason almost looks lopsided, but it might just be the angle).

Nothing really 'pops'. I'm also curious, are you baking this all down to low poly or is this all done in high poly? Which if its low-poly, then props to you on that front since a lot of it looks rather smooth, but I only ask because if it is all high poly there is no way it'd work in a game engine. I haven't seen any wireframes so I can't say for sure.

The last thing is that all the shots tend to be the same. There is very little variation in the shots you have chosen, Sonic standing in place looking either a little bit up or a little bit down. It's a little boring and doesn't really sell the presentation of these shots to me. Try giving him a run or have him doing -something-.

Great work all the same man, I'm only criticizing here because I feel that what you have is great but it could be pushed to that next level you know? Keep at it all the same.

Hey,thanks for the feedback! Will try to answer best i can.

Would love to take things into zbrush but currently i do not have it nor know how to really use it. Would like to learn though!

Currently nothing has spec maps on them no, all mats are just done through vray materials

The floating ring is lop sided intentionally as from this angle it would just look like a random floating tube

It's fairly high poly yes, and i realise it wouldnt work well in a game engine, my intention of these currently is just to improve in 3ds max and art skills in general.

One day my intention is to become an environment or lighting artist so i didnt really do much with the characters as they wernt partic on my mind so much, rather just there to provide reference.

Will try and work on what you have said. Apart from a few bits at uni im mostly self taught so very grateful for the feedback!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, okay, thought I could pick that stuff out.

In your case then what I think would be really cool is if you had time to learn about Zbrush to give it a whirl. It is fairly basic once you get the hang of it, and pretty flexible overall! I think as an environment artist you're definitely on the right track here, just keep going I guess. I wasn't aware you were self-taught for the most part.

I think for some great resources to look up on some 3D stuff would be http://www.polycount.com/ , particularly their wiki section. There is a lot of cool things kind of kicking around in there to check out in terms of how people do certain things. But keep going at it, obviously none of this stuff looks bad, but the more you learn the more oomph each piece will eventually have. Great work though :)

Oil ocean time! Gonna take a little longer with this one i think, and consider the feedback from superchargedbatteryknife.

Ive tried to give textures much more detail, hopefully it shows! :)

oiloceanspikes.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

Oil ocean time! Gonna take a little longer with this one i think, and consider the feedback from superchargedbatteryknife.

Ive tried to give textures much more detail, hopefully it shows! smile.png

oiloceanspikes.jpg

Wow, love the tiny rust detail you added! Looks great!

Framework started to go up round the spikes, few placeholders here and there while i workout how its all going to go

oiloceanspikes2.jpg

This is really excellent!

All of it is excellent actually! You're fantastic at this and I can't wait to see this finished product as well as whatever you do next. (Personally, I think Ice Cap would be pretty sweet or maybe Carnival Night)

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want to say, you're amazing. I know you probably get that a lot in response to this art, but it's true. I like that you're really receptive to criticism/advice, too. This is just really neat and...I guess I'm fanboying, huh? XD I'm always amazed by how incredible fan works like this can be!

So yeah, keep it up. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 2

Framework started to go up round the spikes, few placeholders here and there while i workout how its all going to go

oiloceanspikes2.jpg

Like it so far!

Why did you have the make the picture showing off those little flame platform things?! You don't know how many rings I lost and how may deaths I counted from them!

You just be happy you have excellent taste in how you shade and light things. It looks realistic but not realistic.

Heeey!

I remember seeing some of your stuff while browsing through deviantART. Great job, man. I can't wait to see more. biggrin.png

That's pretty neat. I love the lighting. It adds to the colour of the structures quite nicely. :)