Awoo.

Sonic always liked cars

Badnik Mechanic

Just doing the rounds on ebay when I found this old notebook for sale.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonic-Hedgehog-Official-New-Rare-Mini-Memo-Notebook-/370524002752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5644f399c0

The item is most certainly a genuine thing (well genuine in the sense that it was definately made in the 90's at least) but what I was curious about was the artwork of Sonic and Robotnik driving those vintage cars. Has that artwork ever been made public before?

I've seen the Sonic on a motorbike before (oddly it also appears on a pair of pants). But for some reason the vintage car racing one escapes me right now.

Anyone recognise it?

Edited by Hogfather

I'm pretty sure you can unlock those images in the Sonic Gems Collection

Looks like Sonic the Screensaver artwork to me, though admittedly I don't recognise the one with Sonic and Eggman racing classic cars while I've definitely seen the motorbike one... I don't claim to be an expert on old-school Sonic art (shameful, I know) so I'll take everyone else's word for it that it comes from the Screensaver, it certainly looks like it does.

It's strange how, considering it was once established in canon (where, I can't recall - a Japanese manual?) that Sonic doesn't care for racing, it seems like more and more pictures/games seem to depict him enjoying a good race. :P I guess the marketing potential of a Sonic-themed racer conquers all... not that I'm complaining.

Yeah I think it was originally from the screen saver after looking into it.

I couldn't remember the gems/megacollection unlockables and I've never owned/seen the screensaver so it was a suprise to me.

Also.... I just thought it was a pretty cool piece of art.

I think you can also access the pictures from within Sonic Jam. It's been a long time since I played that game but I do recall you could access 'museums' from the hub area, and I think the screen savers were accessible from the picture 'museum'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both pictures are from Sonic the Screen Saver and both can also be unlocked in Gems Collection. There is a lot of artwork of Sonic driving around in cars and always associated with the colour red. If I had to guess Sonic's favorite colour I would think it was red because of all the red cars he drove in both Drift 1 and Drift 2 for Game Gear and always using something with the colour red in the old 90's Classic artwork.

There's a lot of art with him driving in a car from the 90's, some Japanese Sonic puzzles have rare Classic images of Sonic and Tails fixing up a car or sitting in one, there's both Drift 1 and 2 artworks and Sonic the Screen Saver artwork. The cars he loved destroying while running in City Escape, All Stars Racing and in Zero Gravity in the last CG cutscene he and Jet meet up again and he jumps out of the car to race him and hits someone's car lol. If I'm not mistaken the car Tails was driving in that game was red too wasn't it? Sonic seems to always be into cars which is pretty funny.

Here we go:

SSS_SONIC57.png

From the Screensaver. B)

What I find particularly amusing and ironic is that Shadow was viewed as a badass/idiot (As he can move at the speed of sound) for driving a motorcycle in his own game when Sonic beat him to it about 9 years earlier XD.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

according to that old screen saver he also likes waiting for the bus. :)

Looks like Sonic the Screensaver artwork to me, though admittedly I don't recognise the one with Sonic and Eggman racing classic cars while I've definitely seen the motorbike one... I don't claim to be an expert on old-school Sonic art (shameful, I know) so I'll take everyone else's word for it that it comes from the Screensaver, it certainly looks like it does.

It's strange how, considering it was once established in canon (where, I can't recall - a Japanese manual?) that Sonic doesn't care for racing, it seems like more and more pictures/games seem to depict him enjoying a good race. :P I guess the marketing potential of a Sonic-themed racer conquers all... not that I'm complaining.

Sometimes he feels like it and sometimes he doesn't? :P

It was in the Sonic R manual where he originally turned down the race because he wasn't assed, in both the Japanese version and the American version.

A piece of work that Sonic retro seems to consider the Japanese equivalent of the Sonic bible seems to think Sonic would never be seen in a car because he deems them rather useless, I' unsure of it's authenticity though, pretty much scrapped nonetheless, though I'm somewhat..not keen, I'm not one of those people that would say it wouldn't make sense for Sonic to be in a car in a car racing game, because to me it obviously would.

Edited by Mysterics