Awoo.

Eggman's humble abode

JezMM

I have to say my favourites are the Egg Carrier in Sonic Adventure, Sand Ocean/Egg Quarters/Hidden Base/Death Chamber in Sonic Adventure 2, and Metropolis in Sonic Chronicles.

I loved the Egg Carrier adventure field. You got to explore Eggman's base in a way that hasn't quite been the same since, as well as the small little bit of his land base you got to explore. The tubes containing Metal Sonic ans Silver Sonic were a nice touch and his personal Chao garden (and the fact he kept a Chao egg hidden in one of his cells) to me shows he does have a softer side. The garden doubling as a sort of getaway paradise was nice too, not to mention the item placements in the Egg Carrier that makes it feel more like a home.

Sand Ocean, Egg Quarters, Hidden Base and Death Chamber did a great job at reflecting Eggman's design prowess while showing how self-absorbed he really is. A hidden base in the middle of a desert with his face all over every inch of it makes it way too obvious it belongs to him, no matter how remote it is. Smooth, Eggman. Smooth.

Metropolis is an interesting one. Eggman didn't really have his face all over it (well, except the large statue in the middle) but it was a decent design, not to mention the conversations between Eggman and the other characters was hilarious. Funny how Eggman truly is prepared for just about everything ... except Sonic. ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JezMM

• SuperStingray

• Dr. Mechano

• Indigo Rush

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Hell yes. EggmanLand got half it's awesomeness from the massive golden Eggman statue out front, since it reminded me of that.

So THAT'S where I remember that from. Freaking rip-off artists.

So THAT'S where I remember that from. Freaking rip-off artists.

Well, Stardust Speedway from Sonic CD had a giant golden Eggman statue also.

...in fact, even the Archie adaptation had a classic Eggman statue, despite its Robotnik looking nothing like game Eggman. I always found this incredibly amusing.

picture1erj.png

Best. House. Ever.

I laughed so hard when I heard the Nostalgia Critic describe it as being designed by "Frank Lloyd Wrong."

I guess that my favorite would be the Egg Carrier, Eggmanland and Egy's city from the OVA.

The Egg Carrier was the perfect HQ, being both a powerful doomsday machine and a warm home for our beloved docor. If eggman ever do another base in the sky should be like this one..aa bit bigger would be nice.

Eggmanland is a big example of Robotnik's egocentrical nature with his face all over his kingdom and a great mix between factory and theme park shows that eggman can put a bit of fun in a cold (or in this case warmsince it's located in the earth's core) base of total world domination.

I liked that Eggman's base in the OVA is a city...yeah..a big kind of futuristic city showing that even if wanting to slave everyone at least he wasn't to give them homes. Also the lights making his face all over the place shows once again how much the doctor loves himself.

I would also do a special mention to the ARK, a enormous base that used to be a scientific home and a doomsday weapon, but I'm not sure that we can count it since it was created by gerald. Still, it prooves that the Robotnik family have good tastes when it comes to enormous fortresses XD

Eggmanland had its cool points, but it wasn't what I expected. I expected something slick and clean- You know, the type of place Eggman himself would like to live in. I just think the lava and already-way-too-rusty-metal-for-a-supposedly-new-base decor was a little overboard.

Still, my favorite has to be his pyramid base. The Eggman statues, murals, and sculptures were awesomely fantastic.

I always felt that even if Eggmanland's design was eggy's imagination and artistic style gone wild, the earth-core setting was choosed as a more strategic point. remember that the whole place is powered by dark gaia's energy, so what better place for put your gigant monster-powered city than next to the creature you are sucking energy from? No need for extremly long connections that sonic could easly notice, just right next to your source for maximun security. It also gives something new when we talk about Eggman's bases since he usually choose the sky or the space for place his final fortress (i mean as a way to talk about his bases..not only about the sonic heroes' stage)

Personally I think EggmanLand's frightening appearence was merely done to try and psyche Sonic out. The first three areas feel very much like a scary amusement park, whereas the second three are all very engine room/core ish. While obviously the whole thing is a level setup by the developer's, it gave the impression to me that Eggman, being the fellow he is, actually set up those first three areas to challenge Sonic. Hence why they were so crazy and scary. He didn't expect Sonic would make it through it all, so the latter areas of the level are very drab and factory-ish without Eggman's flair.

If this was a true amusement park or city, I imagine Eggman would have made it cleaner like El Gran Gordo imagined.

Plus it didn't help that the lava reflected off the polluted clouds for that scary red sky.

Edited by JezMM

Plus it didn't help that the lava reflected off the polluted clouds for that scary red sky.
To be fair, I think the scary red sky was there because that way they wouldn't have to have abrupt transitions between night and day.

To be fair, I think the scary red sky was there because that way they wouldn't have to have abrupt transitions between night and day.

Oh, from a design standpoint definately (though that was totally lazy - I still say that the hub worlds could have easily done without the load times between night and day if they put a bit more effort in rather than making them seperate maps). I was just trying to come up with a rational reason for WHY the sky would be red all the time in this one place, lol.